Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki View Post
There are two Asian markets in my mother-in-law's neighborhood. I will have to go ask someone at the market next Sunday when we go to visit her.
How funny, this afternoon purely by coincidence DH called me to tell me he was at the Asian market picking up sushi and to ask me if I needed anything. I made him look for the konnyaku. He brought home one of each, a dark one and a light one. I am glad I found a supplier locally.
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I was idly thinking today...you could probably make noodles from a "cake" by using a vegetable peeler.
I use that sometimes when I want long, thin strips of carrots or other veggies--for a different look/texture.
I also have a fruit peeler; it has a serrated edge. That would probable make an interesting, less slippery-feeling noodle!

And I wonder if you could make thinner noodles with a citrus zester?

Well, if I have any luck, I will report back...got some pickling lime today, so I'm going to try making my own gluc cake!
If it works, it will be SO cheap!!!
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 11-21-2011 at 01:33 PM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
I think it'd have to be a pretty sharp blade on your veggie peeler cause the block has a lot of resistance to just pressure. I'll see if I can find my peeler and zester and test it out

i just made some today and it is chilling in the fridge and on the counter. What directions are you using Jenny? the directions I found said to add 2teaspoons of the powder to 2 Cups of water then heat it to boiling, for 3 min boil, then add 1/8 teaspoon of lime mixed with water( no quantity specified, i used maybe half a cup), stir and boil 5 min longer. I poured it into silicon loaf molds, and I'm waiting for it to chill. Mine got lumpy while i added the powder even though I used an immersion stick blender, then it got smooth with the heat, but then lumpy again after adding the lime. And it seems to be very soft set like jello mold, but they weren't completely chilled an hour later. Seems it holds heat very well. So I put the two smaller pans in the fridge to chill about an hour ago. I'm about to check them when I saw your post.

ETA: It is VERY soft. Not really set at all. More like jello in a clear jelly syrup. Funny these instrctions came straight from the Konjac site and is the only directions I can find with measurements and details. Any other directions. I'm gonna have to figure out how to salvage this, even if it comes out as rice.

ETA:I think I know what I did wrong. I accidentally doubled the recipe without doubling the lime, there was not enough lime to finish the reaction. So I've put another portion of lime in the pot in a wee bit of water, and am dumping the unfinished gel back in to heat up to boiling, and then pouring it again. If it sets completely the lumps won't matter. I'll report back. Sorry for the dumb mistake.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898

Last edited by metqa; 11-21-2011 at 02:03 PM..
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
then add 1/8 teaspoon of lime mixed with water( no quantity specified, i used maybe half a cup)
I would have taken some water out of the original 2 cups for this step,
so that the total amount was still 2 cups.
The additional water could be why you got a "soft set".

I skipped this step because my container of p. lime said it was "quick dissolving" and didn't need to be soaked separately. However, maybe I should have added it separately because I didn't see that I was supposed to boil the gluc + water for a few minutes before adding the lime and boiling some more!
If mine doesn't come out, I'll have to correct that step for future batches.

I added my gluc to cold water (sprinkled slowly over surface) and let it soak for about 5-10 minutes before turning on the heat. I still had to use my immersion blender.

If you set your mold (as long as it's not glass, unless the gluc has cooled to about room temperature) in a bigger pan with cold water, it's quicker than air-cooling.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #35

I'm sure it was soft set because I accidentally doubled the recipe but not the lime. I had started with 2 cups of water and 2t of powder but it started to glob too, quickly, so I started over. Then I got out my immersion blender and started whipping it into shape. When I went to put it into the pot, I dumped both the first two cups and the second two cups. So I had 4 cups total, but I only scooped out 1/8 t of lime instead of 1/4 teaspoon. It was a dumb mistake. I'm about to try it again since the end result I got turned out like clumpy rice, and so I rinsed the excess water away and got about a cup of solids. I'm gonna dump that into my simmering crock. I don't usually pan fry my konjac noodles or chunks but since they were sopping wet, I dried them a bit before putting them in my stock so they don't dilute it too much.

I'm gonna keep a simmering crock of strong stock going and keep it refreshed with Konjaku blocks and noodles, so I will always have a warm filling snack during the winter. Figured to make the blocks myself.

It's not that hard a task, I just have to pay more attention. next time. Second Try. LOL dsdd
Old 11-21-2011, 02:53 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, rice works, too!

Great idea on keeping a crock pot going. I've heard that simmering konjac for a while (at least 30 minutes) in strong broth or sauce is the best way to get it to absorb some flavor.

I put a spoonful of bouillon and a little garlic powder in the water...I hope it works out!
If not, I figure I'll chop it up into "rice" in some soup or broth of some sort.

Grrrrr....I'm flipping back and forth between a few different sites with the recipe (and almost identical instructions), and a couple say to use 2 teaspoons and others say to use 2 tablespoons.

Is this your 1st time making it?
Old 11-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #37

Okay, Second Experiment started out good.I used the immersion blender to agitate the water and then dumped it all and restarted the blender immedeately and got a smooth gel instead of lumps. I put it on the heat and heated it and got a good smooth clear gel with no lumps. I added the lime. and it sorta looked weird for a second, but it smoothed out again. I set my timer for the 5min. then I realized that the directions didn't specify the heat setting: high medium whatever so I turned it to medium high, and stirred and stirred, it looked great, still lump free, still smooth and turning an opalescent white. then at the 2 1/2 minute mark, it started separating, into lumps and liquid, like glucomannan curds and whey. It was too late, it was already lumpy rice again even before I had a chance to pour it.

What I learned.
1. Medium High might be okay for heating the gel only but may be too high for setting.
2. I need to pour it before it starts to separate. Since I don't know if the separation is a factor of heat or time, I'll just lower the heat to medium next time before adding the lime water.

If I get the same results, then I'll just add the lime water, stir it till it's incorporated and smooth and hot again and then pour it immediately.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Well, rice works, too!

Great idea on keeping a crock pot going. I've heard that simmering konjac for a while (at least 30 minutes) in strong broth or sauce is the best way to get it to absorb some flavor.

I put a spoonful of bouillon and a little garlic powder in the water...I hope it works out!
If not, I figure I'll chop it up into "rice" in some soup or broth of some sort.

Grrrrr....I'm flipping back and forth between a few different sites with the recipe (and almost identical instructions), and a couple say to use 2 teaspoons and others say to use 2 tablespoons.

Is this your 1st time making it?
Yes, this is my first( and second LOL) time making it Just today.
You'll need a lot stronger broth than just a spoon full. I put a Tablespoon of chicken broth powder, a couple of teaspoons of soy sauce, a few teaspoons of garlic slices, two huge slices of ginger, a teaspoon of fish dashi, a teaspoon of mushroom dashi, 6 dried shiitake mushrooms, and a Tablespoon of Miso Paste. . . the broth is Kicken, but the konjaku bits have a "bit" of flavor .

I noticed the discrepency in the Spoon measurements. 2T seems like it would be impossible to stir. but maybe that's the right amount. Nobody seems to have a definitive recipe with either pictures or video of the result, except some dude on Youtube who fries it.

I'm gonna stick with 2teaspoons for now and it if doesn't set under all the different conditions, then I'll see what to change in the powder amount.

Fozzie and Rede4Now have been making passable shiritaki noodles!!! I need to go look at their ratios!

ETA: As I speak...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rede4nw View Post
Metqa, it seems like you could use the ratios that Fozzie gave of 1 TBSP glu and 1/8 tsp pickling lime to 2 cups cold water, whiz it with a stick blender or MB or whatever, then pour it into your mold and if I am picturing a rectangular mold it seems like you could use just a little water to cover the bottom of your saucepan, simmer it with a lid to steam it to the firmness you like. I saw many pics of Japanese dishes with it sliced into thin and chunky slices with various sauces. One recipe mentioned the liquid smoke brushed on top, and another actually grilled the slices (not sure if it was a table top grill or the hickory smoked kind) but I did want to try that one day.

Last edited by metqa; 11-21-2011 at 03:05 PM..
Old 11-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmmm....mine didn't separate at all!

But I did add the lime directly to the 2 cups of cold water in the pan, then added the gluc, then cooked. So maybe that's why.

Mine's only slightly cooled at this point...not sure how it's gonna turn out!

ETA: I meant that I added the bouillon so that it will be in the noodles themselves.

Last edited by piratejenny; 11-21-2011 at 03:08 PM..
Old 11-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #40

Okay, I'll add the lime to the liquid with the Powder next time. How long did you heat it before you poured? I think the cool water of the lime water is what was the problem. Shocked it into setting parts of it. What heat setting on your stove top did you use?
Old 11-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I heated it until it started to "boil"--more like "puff", since it's so thick!
Then let it boil for about 5 minutes while stirring frequently, then poured into mold.
--It didn't seem to be getting thicker or changing in any way at that point.

After misreading rede's suggestion as 2tbsp gluc to 2 cups water, I took 1/2 of my cooling gluc, put it back in the pot, and added 2 more tsp to it (to make it 1tbsp gluc to 1 cup water). This turned very grainy, as if there weren't enough water for the gluc to hydrate, and super thick! So I added some more water to it...not sure how much, things were getting a little desperate! But I do think it was about a cup, so I did end up with rede's ratio of 1 tbsp gluc to 2 cups water.

It looks like it's a lot more likely to set firm than the 1st attempt!

It's reminding me of the difference between making Jell-O and making gummy candies...I had the same problems with my 1st gummy attempts; a couple batches were too soft to be chewy and one was too hard and flavorless.

Last edited by piratejenny; 11-21-2011 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: to correct ratios
Old 11-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #42

MmmmHmm, Okay! i agree on the "PUFF" boiling. It got sorta scary looking.
I tried a third batch and heated it on medium...took forever. But when it started to Puff I got scared it would separate again. then I noticed that my stirring was whipping it up. It was trying to set but I kept breaking it up! I noticed this just as it started to get warm so I snatched it off the stove and started stuffing it into the molds. I mean STUFFING it was already getting firm enough to stay separate when I put the spatula through it. then I recalled something I thought was a "lost in translation" sentence about a water bath. I realized that the powder and lime was already solidifying and any stirring I was doing was just breaking it into small pieces and causing it to get grainy and lumpy.

then Rede said to just mix the powder and lime water and let it set in the molds. So I thought: what if I mixed the stuff, let it start to get hard on it's own , without heat, and then put the whole block, mold and all, in a water bath to boil???

Well I put the lumpy molded half set gluc gell back into the pot with boiling water. and let it boil for 5 min. They still seem soft but a lot more solid than the first two. I'm chilling them in the fridge and I'll pull them out and check them in a minute.

ETA: The other reason I thought to do that was on a video of someone making Konyakku from the actual root. they didn't have powder they just boiled the mashed root, and when ti started getting thick they formed it into balls and then boiled the balls for longer in water. I think the boiling it after it sets might be the key to really setting it firm. I'm getting ready to try to boil it in just water to see if it gets any firmer. cause it's thick and firm but still like a jello jiggler not as firm as the store bought.

Last edited by metqa; 11-21-2011 at 05:03 PM..
Old 11-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Aw man...the "water bath" confused me, too! I thought maybe it meant a double boiler?

Now I'm re-reading the instructions on konjacfoods...what if your process is correct, but then you just boil the gluc (balls or water) in water with lime? So that the lime is not actually mixed into the gluc? Cuz that's how mine ended up, and honestly I do not like the aftertaste!!! Really alkaline, like fake salt.

The directions say to "keep stirring" after adding limewater to "boiling bath". So maybe I'm wrong. But I'm gonna go make a mini-batch and let you know. Worst case scenario, I waste a teaspoon of gluc...(eta) or end up with more "rice".

Last edited by piratejenny; 11-21-2011 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: eta
Old 11-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #44

Yeah, I used a double boiler the first time too! Haha!
I'm about to post some pictures, but it does firm up with boiling. I'm trying to remember and I need to go find old sources, but I think Fozzie mentioned extruding his gluc gel into a boiling pot of water, but I can't recall it if was boiling lime water or if it's mixed it. But according to Rede's most recent post, the lime is mixed in and is important for the solid texture opposed to the softer one. Oops, Timer's beeping. BRB!

From 0.30, this is the part we are missing! we mix the lime in, but we are boiling the whole pot, they are waiting for it to thicken up, THEN shaping it, THEN boiling the shape!

Last edited by metqa; 11-21-2011 at 05:32 PM..
Old 11-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #45

Quote:
I was idly thinking today...you could probably make noodles from a "cake" by using a vegetable peeler.
I use that sometimes when I want long, thin strips of carrots or other veggies--for a different look/texture.
I also have a fruit peeler; it has a serrated edge. That would probable make an interesting, less slippery-feeling noodle!

And I wonder if you could make thinner noodles with a citrus zester?

Well, if I have any luck, I will report back...got some pickling lime today, so I'm going to try making my own gluc cake!
If it works, it will be SO cheap!!!
I tried my vegetable peeler, it didn't work at all, it just dug in and sorta got stuck. it was mostly pushing not cutting, like I suspected, cause my knife cut through it like butter.

I just finished boiling, for one hour, cut up pieces of my block from the third try. After I pulled all the pieces out the water was sorta yellow. I wonder if the lime sorta cooked out, cause it didn't have any fake salt tastes like you mentioned. I'm boiling the second block now.

I'm convinced it should go like this: it's too late for another experiment tonight, but I might try again tomorrow. this is what I'll consider doing.
Mix the water and powder and let it fully hydrate
Add lime dissolved in water, stir to combine completely then wait for it to start turning thicker.
Pour into a container to hold the shape, and Par boil it to semi-set it.
This time I cut the cake into the blocks I like to use. Next time I might just boil the whole cake so I can store it ready to use.
Boil it in water for 1 hour. drain and cool.

I guess I could store it in a container in water with citric acid to preserve it? Like Tofu is stored in water?

Photos:
First Picture is me trying to bring the glue gell to a "boil" or more accurately "Puff" Won't try that again.

Second picture is when I realized it was about to get chunky on me, I stuffed it into the loaf pan and boiled it in the pan itself.

this picture shows what that block looks like cut up after boiling in the silicon pan

this shows what it looks like after a 5 min boil directly in the water.

These were all boiled for 1 hour. much whiter and much firmer.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG forget it! I'm just going to have to find a job that pays enough so I can get store-bought!

But...I have about 6 cups of semi-gelled gunk...I'm fed up tonight, but might "melt it down" tomorrow, add some more gluc, and try one last time.

Do you think it's necessary to boil it in the mold? Cuz I'm not sure I have any container I can boil. Or, maybe I'll try steaming it...I have a big bamboo steamer...

Thanks for sharing your process with me. The way the chunks became opaque with boiling is interesting.
Enjoy!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rede4nw
Stats: 204/174/140
WOE: Rx hCG
Start Date: June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by metqa View Post
Okay, I'll add the lime to the liquid with the Powder next time. How long did you heat it before you poured? I think the cool water of the lime water is what was the problem. Shocked it into setting parts of it. What heat setting on your stove top did you use?
Hey Metqa...thanks for mentioning this thread. Initially I was "whizzing" (to use Fozzie's term) the lime to incorporate it into the cold water before adding the TBSP of glu powder to the batch to prevent the unreacted lime from clumping up. However, he told me he just dumped them in together and that was what seemed to work. I also stopped using my alkaline water to make them, which also seemed to help.
I now use a stainless steel cookie press, with adapted dies. I followed the suggestion to use JB Weld to seal the entire die and then cut new holes with a dremel bit to make an entire batch of noodles in one "push." Just cannot put too much pressure with the press. Much faster than my large bore syringe, even though it worked and I was thrilled with the product, by the end of the 5th "filling" it was getting too thick to work with and I ended up stirring the last bits into the hot boiling water and while they were not noodles, they weren't icky either.
I always stir fry my commercial noodles before adding them to my dishes and so I did the same with the homemade ones too! I just ate them in the stir fry and soup as if they were noodles. That is the best part, no loss even in your experiments. Even the water from your ricey bits (had that happen also, can you tell?) can be used as a thickener for soups or shakes. I think it stays good for weeks refrigerated.
rede4nw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

I forgot to mention that I did not heat my mixture. I just syringed it, LOL, directly into boiling water, and then fished out the noodles as they turned whiter and firmer. You will have to test the thickness of the gel to know when it is going to stay together like a noodle, which is just a matter or timing and nothing else if you are using the 1 TBSP glu to 2 cups cold water ratio plus the 1/8-1/4 tsp Pickling lime, and not gooey rice bits, or in your case, like the cake, but I do think that cooking it once it is gelled is key, either by steaming it similar to your double boiler idea--not so sure about this one, or steaming it in a small quantity of water around your mold (with a lid?) to get it to the right consistency.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #49

Quote:
OMG forget it! I'm just going to have to find a job that pays enough so I can get store-bought!

But...I have about 6 cups of semi-gelled gunk...I'm fed up tonight, but might "melt it down" tomorrow, add some more gluc, and try one last time.

Do you think it's necessary to boil it in the mold? Cuz I'm not sure I have any container I can boil. Or, maybe I'll try steaming it...I have a big bamboo steamer...

Thanks for sharing your process with me. The way the chunks became opaque with boiling is interesting.
Enjoy!!!
I don't think it "melts down" once it's been heated. I don't think You don't need to boil it in the mold, I had just already poured it into the mold when I figured out that it might need a water bath so I just stuck the whole thing into the pan.

That semi-gelled gunk, I'd take that and just put it into some boiling water to finish setting. I don't know in what type of container you put it, but if you can get it out mostly in one piece you could just plop it into the pot add enough water to cover it and set it to simmer in boiling water for an hour. That seemed to finish up my semi-gelled blocks.

In the video I linked, it looks like they just shaped it into balls with their hands and boiled that. My packages stuff looks like it was formed inside of a mini pillow case...

But I'd just boil em up and see if that fixes it.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:21 PM   #50

Quote:
I always stir fry my commercial noodles before adding them to my dishes and so I did the same with the homemade ones too! I just ate them in the stir fry and soup as if they were noodles. That is the best part, no loss even in your experiments. Even the water from your ricey bits (had that happen also, can you tell?) can be used as a thickener for soups or shakes. I think it stays good for weeks refrigerated.
yeah, my first batch , the hand picture, I just dumped into my crock broth. I just scooped out some a while ago and had a cup of chewy flavored chunks. The texture is a bit softer than the store bought but it still works. the second batch is water boiling now. It's probably gonna be "rice" for stirfry, since it was pretty much whipped to death by me into thousands of bits. the third experiment is now in a ziplock back with filtered water waiting to be eaten next week.

Once I get the ratios, and the times right, I'm gonna try making this with 2 cups of strongly flavored broth instead of plain water. to see if the flavor stays trapped in the gluc matrix.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nope, it didn't work.
Once the mix is correct, it's supposed to be heat-stable...
I made some dumplings & they totally melted!
I had some gel in glass bowls, tried steaming them...that didn't do anything.

I accidentally put 1/4 tsp lime in my 1st batch, so if that's supposed to help firm it up...I don't think it worked! Maybe I need more gluc...

But now I need sleep!

It's no big deal if I don't figure this out; I don't eat shirataki all that often.
But, a $2 pack of noodles probably contains about a teaspoon of gluc;
a $10 bottle of gluc contains about 28 tsp...so, I had to try making my own noodles at 1/5 the cost!

Last edited by piratejenny; 11-21-2011 at 10:06 PM..
Old 11-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #52

Wow, that's really really strange!! the lime is supposed to create an irreversable reaction! I'm stumped. Sorry it didn't work out right.

Wow! I didn't realize how late it became. I need to turn the stove off and go to bed as well! haha, Good night.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Nope, it didn't work.
Once the mix is correct, it's supposed to be heat-stable...
I made some dumplings & they totally melted!
I had some gel in glass bowls, tried steaming them...that didn't do anything.

I accidentally put 1/4 tsp lime in my 1st batch, so if that's supposed to help firm it up...I don't think it worked! Maybe I need more gluc...

But now I need sleep!

It's no big deal if I don't figure this out; I don't eat shirataki all that often.
But, a $2 pack of noodles probably contains about a teaspoon of gluc;
a $10 bottle of gluc contains about 28 tsp...so, I had to try making my own noodles at 1/5 the cost!
You are right that it is the amount of gluc if it is still gooey or "melty". Different brands have a different ratio also. The particulate edges make a difference in the gelling time and the ratio to water. One from HV is almost double the amount you would use of Konjac Glu from Netrition or Konjac site. I don't think that the amount of lime is so important. I have used both 1/8 and 1/4 tsp with no discernable difference. So I usually just use 1/4 tsp all the time. Boiling the shapes after the glu has gelled is the best way to get it completely firm. You will notice the color changes and that is your signal that it is done. I think that the commercially packaged noodled are also stored in a pickling lime water solution, but since I usually eat mine right away have never needed to try it. You could probably even use water to cover if it was to be consumed within a day or so.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #54

Well, water will have to do, cause I won't be consuming these till i get back on Saturday. So I hope they keep in filtered water in the fridge.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #55

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I've been reading about you two working to make the yam cake-noodles-rice-stuff with a great deal of interest and also some chuckles! It sounds pretty fun!

The most I've done is mix the gluc powder with flavored fluid and then fried it up into sticky yummy gummy hot chunks. Very tasty. I usually make the fluid part be my General Tso's sauce, stir in the gluc powder to make it real thick, and then fry it up in my non-stick skillet with a bit of spray oil. Pretty tasty and really, really low calorie.

Ohhhhhh... I'm going to try this using some oyster sauce next time.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #56

Yay!!! SoHappy came to visit!!! I'm So Happy to see you !

That makes sense, flavoring the liquid then hydrating the powder in it. I will surely try that next time!
Old 11-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I've been reading about you two working to make the yam cake-noodles-rice-stuff with a great deal of interest and also some chuckles! It sounds pretty fun!

The most I've done is mix the gluc powder with flavored fluid and then fried it up into sticky yummy gummy hot chunks. Very tasty. I usually make the fluid part be my General Tso's sauce, stir in the gluc powder to make it real thick, and then fry it up in my non-stick skillet with a bit of spray oil. Pretty tasty and really, really low calorie.

Ohhhhhh... I'm going to try this using some oyster sauce next time.
So Happy! I always enjoy your upbeat posts! Is your Gen Tso's sauce recipe listed somewhere? I have fried the glu dumplings and added sauce to them like the You Tuber, only in a much cleaner environ , but never tried special sauces to flavor the stuff itself. Sounds very interesting to say the least, and I can see how it would work since the flavors are pretty strong in and of themselves. The GT sounds really good to me!!
Old 11-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #58

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
So Happy! I always enjoy your upbeat posts! Is your Gen Tso's sauce recipe listed somewhere? I have fried the glu dumplings and added sauce to them like the You Tuber, only in a much cleaner environ , but never tried special sauces to flavor the stuff itself. Sounds very interesting to say the least, and I can see how it would work since the flavors are pretty strong in and of themselves. The GT sounds really good to me!!
Here are two Asian-style sauces.. The first more General Tso type and the second is an Orange Chicken sauce.

1-1/2 tsp chopped garlic
1-1/2 tsp grated ginger
3/4 C Walden Farms 0-Calorie Pancake Syrup
1/2 C soy sauce
1/4 C white vinegar
1/4 C wine
1-1/2 C chicken broth
glucomannan powder to thicken

Recipe 2 is more an Orange Chicken sauce one: You can vary this a bit depending on what flavoring you are after. Also important to note: I eat at a bit higher carb level than many do, and I also include some 'real' sugar-type sweeteners that many of you won't, so you'll want to change this a bit here and there to suit your own dietary preferences and needs.

This makes 4 CUPS of sauce! And about 700 calories for the entire batch as per the recipe given below, so about 44 calories for a 1/4 cup serving. As noted below, there are a couple of higher-calorie ingredients you can skip or substitute other ingredients for that will lower this calorie count. I could probably make this for half the calories. Also, I figured a tablespoon of oil in the calories, but mine has so much ground red chili in it that not the entire tablespoon was oil! So I don't know how to figure that.

I use it a lot, so eat that up pretty fast. You may want to make a lot less as you experiment to personalize this sauce for your own dishes. The other thing is... this is a sauce I developed for Down Days and would be different than this if it was intended for 'normal' days. But I think it's pretty darned effective for a low calorie sweet Chinese sauce.

This is a nice hot and sweet orange sauce which I enjoy over my stir fried veggies on DDs. DH eats it too, so this is as hot as he wants. I always add a bit more hot chili oil for myself! LOL

Of course, use the veggies of your choice, but I choose broccoli, onion, green pepper, carrot, fresh bean sprouts, and occasionally celery or bok choy, all cut as you would find them if you ordered Chinese.

2-3/4 Cups 0-calorie orange beverage
1/2 Cup soy sauce (I use regular, but you can choose low sodium if needed)
Of you want an orange sauce add this: 2 Tbsp. frozen orange juice concentrate (you can skip this and save some calories, but I like a good orange flavor so enjoy this addition)
1 T white vinegar (rice vinegar is wonderful but not necessary, and you can certainly add in more if you are going for a sweet & 'sour' flavor)
3 cloves of garlic (I mince and then put through the garlic press, and then toss it all in)
2 tsp ginger root, minced (I buy pint jars of this stuff, already minced/ground at my local Asian market)
1/4 Cup sugar free Honey (I use the Honey Tree brand.. maltitol here..!)
1/4 Cup corn syrup (here's where you will want to sub something else sweet if this type of sweetener causes you problems! and you can also save some calories if you use something else which is sugar-free..)
2 pkts Splenda (I don't use Splenda so don't keep it on hand much but had this......)
1 Tbsp hot chili oil (Asian market again.. I use the kind with the ground up chilis all mixed up in the oil.. hot, hot, HOT!! use more or less to taste)
Thicken with 3 tsp. glucomannon powder

Measure all this stuff into your blender, put on the lid, start it on low, and when the initial 'surge' is over, keep it blending and remove the lid. Slowly sprinkle 3 teaspoons of glucomannon powder into the whirling sauce and blend it until it thickens.

This is a really easy recipe to alter to your own personal tastes.. hotter or not so much, skip the orange flavor and use chicken broth instead of the orange drink, add more vinegar or skip entirely, add more of your own favorite sweetener if you want a sweeter sauce, etc.

This is the taste I like best when I have to take into consideration my DD calorie limit! If it were for other occasions, I'd make it sweeter!

Last edited by SoHappy; 11-24-2011 at 06:19 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: star a.d.
Stats: 235/203.5/165-off the wagon-247+/213/235/198/165
WOE: hHCG rogue...still figuring it out
I haven't started JUDDD yet, but I've been lurking and wanted to ask...could you make some sort of sweet base and add the gluc to it? make gummies of some sort?
star a.d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #60

Yeah, you could do that. in fact its the concept of cup gells in other countries, they got banned from the U.S. Because they gelled so firmly that they could get trapped in the throat of children sucking them out of the cup. Stupid design I think, just make the cup big enough for a spoon.

You could probably use Koolaid and splenda or some other sweetener but you'd have to super sweeten it as Glucomannon dulls flavors.

Anyway, has anyone else made any Konnyuku jam since Pirate Jenny and My experiments?