Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   My DD card file of meals (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/745668-my-dd-card-file-meals.html)

SoHappy 11-15-2011 06:29 PM

My DD card file of meals

I'm making a new card file for my DD food choices.

But I'm laying it out so that each meal is about 100 calories.

Example: 4 egg whites scrambled with 1 oz each of onion, green pepper, & mushrooms, with a spritz of cooking oil spray..... 100 calories

Example: stir-fry of 1 oz each carrot & onion, 2 oz broccoli, 3 oz each of mushrooms, green pepper, and shirataki noodles, with 1/4 cup my General Tso's sauce..... 100 calories

Example: 1/3 cup dry oatmeal, 2/3 cup water, sprinkle of salt, 1 tbsp 0-cal pancake syrup..... 100 calories

Right now I'm working out how much 100 calories is going to be of sharp cheddar cheese and pared apple wedges.

I just thought it would be so simple to have a lot more of these actually written down on recipe cards, to save figuring and re-figuring it all over again every time. I have a few things that I've done this for, and now I want a whole collection of meals, but all in portions that always come out to be about 100 calories.

My goal is to have a ton of choices, but figured out to the exact measurements to always come to 100 calories, so DDs are going to be increasingly easy for me, and a whole lot faster to fix too.

darlingnikki 11-15-2011 06:33 PM

great idea!

Beeb 11-15-2011 06:37 PM

I have done this, but not in calories but in favorite DD meals on my Fat Secret site. Everything is measured out, like a recipe and put into my favorite meals feature so now I just have to go to the favorite meals and find what I want to eat, and there is everything I need: calories, measurements, directions for cooking, if it applies, and products needed to make this meal!

I like your 100 calorie idea and think it's great! It's like buying a box of 100 calorie snacks but they are meals! :up::clap:

handbells 11-15-2011 06:56 PM

What a great idea! I may have to look into something like that as I get more familiar with this WOE!

SoHappy 11-15-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 15178823)
I have done this, but not in calories but in favorite DD meals on my Fat Secret site. Everything is measured out, like a recipe and put into my favorite meals feature so now I just have to go to the favorite meals and find what I want to eat, and there is everything I need: calories, measurements, directions for cooking, if it applies, and products needed to make this meal!

I like your 100 calorie idea and think it's great! It's like buying a box of 100 calorie snacks but they are meals! :up::clap:

Yeah, that was my intention. I should have mentioned that. LOL You got it though.

I have all my various recipe ideas, but I wanted to know the exact amount to put together to make these little 100 cal meals, because it's going to be so much easier and faster to just pick and choose among these little meals, as my taste buds dictate at the moment. It's going to be so easy to substitute one for the other.

Low Carb Librarian 11-15-2011 08:26 PM

Great idea!

Sissiesue 11-16-2011 12:26 PM

I love this idea.

::runs off to buy some notecards::

SoHappy 11-16-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sissiesue (Post 15180996)
I love this idea.

::runs off to buy some notecards::

So far this is working so easily I could kick myself that I didn't think of it sooner.

I always use the same five veggies in my stir fry, but before I was always cutting up *some* and then measuring it and writing down the calories, and then at the end, the meal was getting to be more calories than I wanted, so I'd have to set some of the chopped veggies aside and weigh out the remaining all over again. :annoyed:

But now, that meal is figured out totally. Exactly the ounces of each veggie choice to come out to 100 calories. Done. Every time, it will be exactly the same. No more time spent doing that figuring.

Meal after meal for my DDs is going to be done like this.

So far today, I've had my 100 calorie meal of ham with green beans and fresh garlic.

Chona 11-17-2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15178797)
I'm making a new card file for my DD food choices. .

Being new to the plan, I love this idea. I keep having to run through threads to find good, filling DD meals. I am in need of finding DD meals that those not on the diet will love. My niece is coming this weekend and she is expecting homemade pizza, etc. and it's a down day.

melissaconatser 11-17-2011 04:38 PM

Great idea! Wish I could eat eggs, but I developed an allergy/sensitivity to them while on LC. Now I suffer for 2-3 hours after eating eggs. Odd, I can eat stuff with eggs in it, like a cake, but not something like potato salad. I can't even eat at IHOP because they must fix their pancakes on the same grill with the eggs. Learned that lesson the hard way.

Coming off of LC, my kitchen hasn't been very DD friendly, but I have managed. Budget-wise, I have to use up what I have here before I can bring in more stuff. I'm sure as I go along, I will figure out easy/cheap DD meals to file away.

Beeb 11-17-2011 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissaconatser (Post 15184859)
Great idea! Wish I could eat eggs, but I developed an allergy/sensitivity to them while on LC. Now I suffer for 2-3 hours after eating eggs. Odd, I can eat stuff with eggs in it, like a cake, but not something like potato salad. I can't even eat at IHOP because they must fix their pancakes on the same grill with the eggs. Learned that lesson the hard way.

Coming off of LC, my kitchen hasn't been very DD friendly, but I have managed. Budget-wise, I have to use up what I have here before I can bring in more stuff. I'm sure as I go along, I will figure out easy/cheap DD meals to file away.

I have the same problem with store bought eggs but the eggs I get straight from the egg farm I have no problems with. Maybe see if you can find an egg farm near you to get fresh, range free eggs and give them a try. Here is a link to help find a farm near you: Local Harvest / Farmers Markets / Family Farms / CSA / Organic Food

Chona 11-18-2011 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissaconatser (Post 15184859)

I agree with Linda...I have been buying local eggs for years. Much better quality. But your allergy might be to the albumen? Maybe trying just egg whites would help isolate. Here is another link to locally grown produce/eggs/meat, etc. Eat Wild

paulabob 11-18-2011 08:13 AM

Can I say I'm liking the feature in ************ where you can copy a meal from a certain date. So I have egg drop soup and fish quite often, and can just copy the meal from the last day I had it. Or I can save it as a standard meal. Most of my meals tend to average 200 calories, with the protein and veggie combined, but the veggies often differ.

mainemom 11-18-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulabob (Post 15186210)
Can I say I'm liking the feature in ************ where you can copy a meal from a certain date. So I have egg drop soup and fish quite often, and can just copy the meal from the last day I had it. Or I can save it as a standard meal. Most of my meals tend to average 200 calories, with the protein and veggie combined, but the veggies often differ.

Paula - I love My Fitness Pal, too. Am finding it very user friendly to add meals, copy meals, add fav foods, etc.

Linda - LOVE, LOVE your 100 cal meals idea. I'll have to try it. Maybe we shld start a new thread w/people submitting their 100 cal meals?

mainemom 11-18-2011 07:00 PM

oops - sorry, Pat. I meant to say you, not Linda. You guys are both so darn helpful...

melissaconatser 11-18-2011 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmsko (Post 15185748)
I agree with Linda...I have been buying local eggs for years. Much better quality. But your allergy might be to the albumen? Maybe trying just egg whites would help isolate. Here is another link to locally grown produce/eggs/meat, etc. Eat Wild

Thanks for the ideas, ladies. I'm not real sure if it is the store bought eggs or if it is one part or the other. I have read for some it is the yolk and others the white. I was never a huge egg fan anyway, so I just haven't pushed the issue. Plus, I'm a big baby and haven't wanted to try something different, only to suffer for hours later. lol :sick:

metqa 11-18-2011 07:23 PM

So Happy this is a wonderful Idea...Now you gotta make sure to come back and post some more good examples.