Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Water weight as a normal part of us.... Why is the thought of it so hard to take?

I think a lot of the problem we have with regard to scale weight is in our confusion about what all should make up our *real* weight... our baseline weight. What part of our weight is *the real* part of us. The *normal* part of a human being?

Since so many of us have come from a low carb plan, we are familiar with how to force the complete depletion of all water weight associated with the storage of our carb fuel. Most people who diet wouldn't be familiar with this particular way to make our scale show a smaller number on that dial.

But why do we have this compulsion to not accept simply... our normal body as our baseline weight? As bodies are pretty much everywhere. Which includes their water weight in conjunction with their stored carb fuel? President Lincoln and Jesus and Joan of Arc and Helen Keller... they all had the same water weight in their livers and muscle tissues that other normal people have, just like we would have if we hadn't fixated on this little trick to deplete even that out of our bodies.

And remember, we're not talking about body fat here at all. We're talking about something that is a part of how we are designed to function. Not body fat.

Somehow we've become so fixated on a number on a scale that even our own water weight has become abhorrent to us, and we are driven by a compulsion to purge it out of our tissues in order for us to see a lower number on the scale. We are as upset by a rise in that number from regained water as our body returns to its normal state, as we would be if that gain were absolutely more fat being stored on our frames, and these are two such wildly different components of our being...

I believe that the number we should be using for our baseline is of our body when it is not in any depleted state but is instead allowed to have some normal water weight on board.

Else, if the number is all important, there are other things we can do to force it to read lower. Besides forcing the depletion of water weight, we could also get a real short haircut, as heavy masses of hair can add a couple of pounds to our weight. Also, we could donate blood. You know the old adage.. *A pint a pound, the world around*, so here's to weighing a pound less right there. (But don't drink any fluids now. 'Cause that fluid makes you weigh more, you know...) Then a total colon cleansing, right down to that *ready for the colonoscopy* level of clean and empty. Take some blood pressure pills. Those can make you pee out some retained fluid that was influencing pressure. And we all know about the wrestlers who have to withhold drinking any fluids at all for at least 24 hours before a match in order to make weight when it's time for weigh-in.

Of course, silly. These are all artificial methods to manipulate a scale reading.

In other words, all of these things can affect the number on the scale to artificially force it downward to a smaller reading, but none of these things reflect even a single ounce of loss of your body FAT. They are simply a part of your baseline body weight.

And while we can manipulate the scale read-out by manipulating these components of our physical being, why can't we simply accept them as our baseline starting point for weight loss? I think there would be a lot less frustration with weight loss if the focus could actually be on FAT loss instead. Not weight loss as such, but FAT loss.

Just my 2 ข here, but I just hate to see so many facing such frustration from scale fluctuations that are merely the normal fill and release, fill and release of water weight, simply because they don't want to include any normal water weight in their baseline weight, or as a part of *them*...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11

I wanted to add to anyone just starting JUDDD or reintroducing lots of carbs back to their system and seeing jumps on the scale - try not to freak out! Your body did not convert all that carby food you ate yesterday into 5# of fat overnight!

I know - it sucks to see the increase on the scale. I'm right there with you about how much that sucks, but don't let it bring you down or cause you to tighten the reins on JUDDD when your body is still just getting adjusted to it!

I'm just starting to get to the point where I take it in stride. I had a stuff-my-face kinda day yesterday due to ovulation, and I'm up almost 3# today. Eh, not a big deal. My body needed that food for some reason - best to listen to it. And today, I'm barely hungry on my DD. In fact, I'm staring at half a 260-calorie frozen dinner I am having a hard time finishing! Anyway, before I get off track here, you can learn to ignore that extra poundage on the scale. If I can, anyone can.

Also, there are some of us enjoying LESS overall water weight on JUDDD than on LC/VLC! I retained water over half the time on my LC eating, but since coming to JUDDD, I retain much, much less. So there's always the possibility others will enjoy that same benefit. If not, remember, it's like Pat said - this water hold & release is just the way your body is functioning in order to take care of you. It's normal.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
NOT a Pat and Sophie but a GREAT POST!! I KNOW that my weight goes up and down every other day, at least 1 to 2 pounds. It's the way it is and like Pat says, I just KNOW it's the way it is and I don't even think about it anymore.

I will start to about it if that weight goes up 3 or 4 pounds because then I know I need to adjust and be a little more diligent to get back to the weight I'm comfortable with. Is it fat? Who knows, probably too much weight retention, but pounds over that 1 or 2 NORMAL weight gain it is a sign, to me, that I need to beware and take notice.

Heck, I have stepped on the scale in the morning, been one weight, burped and got back on the scale and was down .5 of a pound! JUST FROM A BURP (gas/air)!!

We gain water weight coming off of low carb and adding carbs back in, but it doesn't last long and then it just the normal up and down of the bouncing ball on the step analogy that IS a normal part of life and what we will weight, every single day.

It's just the facts of life, like anything else that we deem "normal". I lose hair everyday in the shower; Normal. I have to cut my toe nails every 2 weeks; Normal. I need to brush my teeth every day for good health and hygiene; Normal. I will have sleepless nights, and lazy days; Normal.............AND I will gain water weight EVERY UD; NORMAL!!

Somethings are just "NORMAL"!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 11-15-2011 at 04:10 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
But carbs from grains aren't a normal part of the human diet, at least as we've evolved over a couple million years. They're a very recent technological innovation, and they've been part of human diets for little more than 8000 years for most societies. It's not abnormal in any way to restrict or eliminate carbs.

If you're curious and want to learn more, you can google "linear enamel hypoplasia". These are the thin lines laid down in the tooth enamel when children are subjected to nutritional stress. They're the major way scientists learn about nutritional stress in the past, because they're well preserved in the fossil record. They are an extraordinary tool for learning about the impacts of the Neolithic transition (ie, when agriculture spread). I just finished teaching my undergrads about this, and it's really cool research. Useful overview of the research: Prof Larsen (the leading researcher in the world in this field) has a nice paper at http://cast.uark.edu/local/icaes/con...en/larsen.html

The main research findings in the field are summarized in: Human Bioarchaeology of the Transition to Agriculture, ed. Ron Pinhasi, Jay T. Stock, (Wiley 2010).

Take-home message: if carbs work for you, great. If they don't, that's not surprising, given what we know of our human evolution.

Last edited by tiva; 11-15-2011 at 06:13 PM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
But carbs from grains aren't a normal part of the human diet, at least as we've evolved over a couple million years. They're a very recent technological innovation, and they've been part of human diets for little more than 8000 years for most societies. It's not abnormal in any way to restrict or eliminate carbs.
Did I miss something in Pat's post about grains/carbs?

I'm very right now and not understanding what this has to do with water weight and normal fluctuations on scales everyday that Pat is talking about.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #6

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
I'm very happy I'm in the chain of decent from my ancestors as they evolved for these thousands of years. I'm in the mood for so much more than mastodon steak or whatever I'd have subsisted on back then.

I appreciate all the foods I get to choose from these days, whether my many-great ancestor Mog would have been able to eat it or not. And I enjoy my carbs a lot, whether they come from grains or fruits or dairy sugars or starchy veggies or whatever. I just like it all.

I just don't care that the early humans couldn't digest milk yet, or that grains weren't a part of their diet back then. I suppose they wouldn't have had a lot of my favorite veggies then or the fruits I love or the cheeses I also love, or Splenda of protein powder, etc. but I have them now, and I sure do enjoy the heck out of them.

Regardless of what my ancient ancestors didn't eat, I'm glad I live now. I really do enjoy a lot of my food choices. Including my carbs. LOL And even the grain ones.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
Great post, Pat. I've been known to be 4 pounds up overnight after a too high UD of 2500 calories. It would be impossible to gain 4 pounds of fat from that. It's great to take it in stride and just keep plugging along.
julietcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
Did I miss something in Pat's post about grains/carbs?

I'm very right now and not understanding what this has to do with water weight and normal fluctuations on scales everyday that Pat is talking about.
I believe you and Pat were talking about carbs. She is talking about a certain kind of carb and what current research is showing about it. A lot of people are gluten intolerant and this is the reason why. Grains are relatively new and the newer ones are even changed more with high tech agriculture trying to get the most for the least.

I thought what she said went right along with your comments.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 142/119.6/115
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2014
I'm confused too by your post tiva. Are you saying carbs from grains are bad?
Idreamofweightloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:12 AM   #10

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Bump!
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
I understand..but if you weigh in after a DD and you see you are 2lbs up from your last DD,you can't help but be frustrated.

And I eat lo carb still. The carbs I get are from oatmeal, fruits and veggies.

Carbs come out high but I get to subtract like 50 grams of fiber, lol.
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:49 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Really good posts. I knew I'd gain after my first days on JUDDD with carbs but it was still irrationally upsetting to see the scale show 179! Yikes! I just keep reminding myself that that wasn't fat and that my initial 9-pound loss during induction on Atkins was deceptive.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:05 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idreamofweightloss View Post
I'm confused too by your post tiva. Are you saying carbs from grains are bad?
Many, many researchers in nutrition do think this. But clearly there are individual differences in physiology that affect whether an individual can eat grains and stay healthy or not. So I'm not saying grains are necessarily bad for a particular person. But there's absolutely no reason to think that grains are a necessary part of the human diet.

If someone likes to eat grains and they don't harm that particular individual, great! Eat them!

But no one should feel that there's any reason to eat grains, other than personal preference. They supply nothing to the human diet that we can't get elsewhere, from sources that have fewer problematic effects on insulin response.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: itsmeshelly01
Stats: 260/150/162
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: eating lowcarb since 2005
This was a really good offset and I need to read it. I get so discouraged at times with the weight fluctuations. Today I was up 4lbs since Saturday morning. Very frustrating, especially when I didn't even eat like a madman or anything, MD sat and UD Sunday and up 4lbs! I constantly have to tell myself is just water and after a good DD it will go away. So hopefully tomorrow morning the scale will be good to me...lol thanks for this post.
itsmeshelly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Good luck! I hope tomorrow's scale reading is what you hope for. I find the fluctuations difficult as well.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori-s
Stats: 176.8/148.9/150 - 5'10"
All I can say is that if you handed me a bucket of water weighing 3-5lbs and a bucket of fat weighing 3-5lbs and asked me which I'd rather carry around with me all the time .... Well I'd pick the water over fat any day. Let me carry a couple of pounds of water .... no big deal.

There's a reason why the body is composed of 65 - 90% H2O. Our body's use water this way:
Muscle - 75%
Fat - 20%
Blood - 83%
Bones - 22%
Heart - 80 - 90%
Lungs - 80 - 90%
Brain - 75%

Did you know:
Babies and kids have more water (%) than adults
• 70-80% water during birth
• Drops to 65% after 1 year
• Obese people have less water (%) than skinny people
• Muscle is 75% water
• Fat is 20% water
• For this reason, older people (who generally have a higher fat %) have less water (%) then younger people
• Women have less water (%) than men
• Women have naturally higher (%) body fat
Lori-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:55 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 312/310/ a lot less
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: restart again 10/27/2014
Yea this water weight thing is flustrating. I can weigh as much as 7 lbs more by night
than I do first thing in the morning. Another reason to do as the good Dr. J said just "weigh first thing in the AM right after going to the bathroom" . One other thing that can mess with my head is I take a blood pressure med. that has a diuretic in it. I have been known to skip a day from time to time and of cource I hold a little more water then. I may go back on low carb for a while after christmas to speed my weight loss
up but right now I am doing ok without low carbing it. And it sure makes going to christmas parties easier if you arn't low carbing!
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:07 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
But why do we have this compulsion to not accept simply... our normal body as our baseline weight?

I believe that the number we should be using for our baseline is of our body when it is not in any depleted state but is instead allowed to have some normal water weight on board.

They are simply a part of your baseline body weight.

why can't we simply accept them as our baseline starting point for weight loss? I think there would be a lot less frustration with weight loss if the focus could actually be on FAT loss instead. Not weight loss as such, but FAT loss.

normal water weight in their baseline weight, or as a part of *them*...
great post, pat. thank you for the reminder. i agree with you, but where i get is knowing what that baseline is. if we came into JUDDD of of strict LC where all our glycogen/water stores were depleted and they started refilling again, as they should be expected to, how do we KNOW what that normal baseline is? how do we truly know if we are losing fat or just the same water gains every other day?
dazygyrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:59 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
That's a good question Daisy.
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:02 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mattsmama
Stats: 188/129.2/135 5'8" 42 yo
Start Date: JUDDD-11/11 to present (LC-5/11-11/11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori-s View Post
All I can say is that if you handed me a bucket of water weighing 3-5lbs and a bucket of fat weighing 3-5lbs and asked me which I'd rather carry around with me all the time .... Well I'd pick the water over fat any day. Let me carry a couple of pounds of water .... no big deal.

There's a reason why the body is composed of 65 - 90% H2O. Our body's use water this way:
Muscle - 75%
Fat - 20%
Blood - 83%
Bones - 22%
Heart - 80 - 90%
Lungs - 80 - 90%
Brain - 75%

Did you know:
Babies and kids have more water (%) than adults
• 70-80% water during birth
• Drops to 65% after 1 year
• Obese people have less water (%) than skinny people
• Muscle is 75% water
• Fat is 20% water
• For this reason, older people (who generally have a higher fat %) have less water (%) then younger people
• Women have less water (%) than men
• Women have naturally higher (%) body fat

Thank you so much, Lori. This is very interesting. It explains why I was unable to think clearly after 6 months on strict low carb. I had become very fatigued (NOT normal for me), and was beginning to experience other problems much worse than just being tired. This has all cleared up since beginning JUDDD and adding healthy carbs back in. I will NEVER do that to myself again!!
I appreciate you taking the time to post this info.
mattsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/low carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazygyrl View Post
great post, pat. thank you for the reminder. i agree with you, but where i get is knowing what that baseline is. if we came into JUDDD of of strict LC where all our glycogen/water stores were depleted and they started refilling again, as they should be expected to, how do we KNOW what that normal baseline is? how do we truly know if we are losing fat or just the same water gains every other day?
I don't know about others, but for me I like to measure myself frequently and constantly check how much better I'm able to shoehorn myself into a number of old smaller clothes to gauge progress. Of course I still need the scale so I can see if I'm moving in the right direction and sort of guide me along day by day, but if the weight coming off doesn't equal a smaller me, then that number isn't as meaningful to me. The ups and downs on my scale are frustrating, but if I don't see my clothes getting tighter, and if they're in fact getting looser, then it doesn't really bother me.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #22

Bump!!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Good idea to bump this, Beeb.

Looking over the familiar names and faces of JUDDD buds I haven't seen here in a while... Hope you're all fine and doing well! Check in if you can.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MintQ8
Stats: 267.6/257/140
WOE: JUDDD/Paul McKenna
Start Date: 9 Nov 2014
I so agree with this!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - not sure who it originated with - but Kissa used to have some very salutory advice in her signature.

"Only you see the scale, the world sees you"

No-one else knows that you've gained 3lbs of waterweight overnight - you're still wearing the same size clothes - you still look as good - you're still the same person!
MintQ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chelsearose
Stats: 159/154/Whatever gets me in a 6-8
Start Date: March 5, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintQ8 View Post
I so agree with this!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - not sure who it originated with - but Kissa used to have some very salutory advice in her signature.

"Only you see the scale, the world sees you"

No-one else knows that you've gained 3lbs of waterweight overnight - you're still wearing the same size clothes - you still look as good - you're still the same person!

wonderful post!
chelsearose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:24 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I'm one who can't really do grain carbs. My body just doesn't like them. No allergy that showed up on a test, but wheat and oats both make me horribly bloated and gassy. Not to mention the effect on my blood sugar (and sugar obviously is worse).

But I'm not vlc either. I eat lots of veggies, some fruits (mostly berries and apples) and a couple times a week, potato or sweet potato. I typically average 80-100 g carbs on an ud. (gross not net). Eating this way, I don't really bounce either--I'm 130 at night before bed, and 128 in the am (for the past week), and it doesn't matter if I've eaten 800 cals or 1600, or 25 g carbs vs 100g (which is just weird to me, lol).

I don't know if that means my water stores are depleted, or if they simply stay full. LOL I will bounce up a pound or 2 right before tom though.

As to grains, I stopped eating them after reading "Good Calories, Bad Calories" last summer. Not so much because of evolution (I'm a believer in Creation actually), but because they increase insulin, and insulin is now being recognized as a big factor in most of the 'diseases of western civilization' as well as weight gain (insulin signals your body to store glucose as fat). So my goal is to normalize my blood sugar response and to minimize my body's need to produce excess amounts of insulin to handle the refined carbs/sugars.

The weight loss was really a side benefit (and a very welcome one) but not the reason I changed my diet last summer.

I often wonder if more people have insulin resistance than realize it. If I hadn't been actively checking my blood sugar levels with a monitor, there is no way I would have known or even suspected that I was having the spikes I was having. My fasting glucose on a blood test was fine (as were my fasting numbers when I was checking them). An A1C would have probably been fine too, since my average numbers are within range. But my readings 2 hours after eating showed a different story for sure, if the meal included refined carbs or sugar.