Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Your Favorite or Another's Favorite Thanksgiving Day Recipes (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/745531-your-favorite-anothers-favorite-thanksgiving-day-recipes.html)

Beeb 11-14-2011 07:12 PM

Your Favorite or Another's Favorite Thanksgiving Day Recipes

Well, most of us JUDDDers will be eating a little different this year so I'm wondering what your favorite recipe/or another's favorite recipe will be that you will be making or eating this year.

I am going to FINALLY have my Mom-in-laws famous recipe for sausage stuffing that I make every year but haven't eaten in the last several because I was LCing. I missed it so much, smothered in turkey gravy and then on a turkey sandwich the next day with mayo! This year that sandwich will be 2 days later on my next UD after Thanksgiving! :yummy:

I just can't wait! :jumpjoy: How about you? Post your favorite recipe/or another's recipe here!

Here is Mom-in-laws stuffing recipe:

Sage Sausage Stuffing

1 pound bulk sage sausage
1 large diced onion
1 ribs celery
1 tsp poultry seasoning
garlic powder and pepper to taste
1 large loaf of white bread

Crumbled sausage in a pan, add onions, and celery, cover and cook until sausage loses it's color (do not brown). Cool

Break up bread into bite sized chunks then add cooled sausage/veggie mixture and spices. Using a little water at a time, mix together with your hands until it feels "just right", not too dry, not to wet.

Stuff bird and cook immediately.

Dottie 11-15-2011 03:58 AM

I'll be making homemade cranberry sauce, but it's low-carb and fine on any plan lol:)
Just cook down cranberries in a little water, add a packet of lemon or orange jell-o and dissolve. Refrigerate until set.

I'll also make the 2 ingredient fudge (melt a bag of chocolate (or whatever flavor) chips in the microwave, stir in a can of cake frosting. Spread in an 8x8 pan (lined with plastic, parchment or buttered very well) and refrigerate until hardened. Remove from pan and cut into serving pieces).
And the oreo cookie bark: melt a pack of white chocolate chips, stir in 10 crushed orro cookies, spread on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, let harden and break into pieces. I'm going to press some finely crushed peppermint candy canes into the top of this next time, too.

sophiethecat 11-17-2011 05:52 PM

My Mom's Pumpkin Roll

PART ONE

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a jellyroll pan (large baking sheet with low sides).

Cut a piece of wax paper to fit and put it in the greased pan, pressing it up the sides. Grease the wax paper.

Mix in order -

1. 3 eggs
2. 1 cup sugar
3. 2/3 cup pumpkin
4. 1/2 teas. baking soda + 1 teas. baking powder
5. 1/2 teas. cinnamon
6. 3/4 cup flour

Beat hard with a mixer. Whip it. Whip it good. :cool: Do this for about a minute.

Spread into the pan evenly to all the sides. Sprinkle on chopped walnuts. Bake for 15 minutes.

While it's baking...

PART TWO

Get out 2 to 3 clean dish towels to cover the surface area of the baking pan. Lay them together (side by side) flat on a surface. Sprinkle generously with powdered sugar.

As soon as the pumpkin roll is out of the oven, turn it out onto the dish towels.

Roll everything up, starting with the smaller end. Leave the wax paper on. Make the roll tighter at the start and a little looser as you roll.

Let cool completely.

PART THREE

Prepare the filling:

2 Tablespoons butter, softened
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
3/4 teas. vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar, packed

Unroll the cooled cake. Remove the towels and wax paper. Spread the filling over the roll. Reroll the roll. :D (Note: Don't roll it back up with the towels or wax paper!)

Wrap it in wax paper, then plastic wrap and keep in the fridge.

Dottie 11-17-2011 06:44 PM

These look simple and good! I'd sub almond butter and either Ideal or stevia, personal preference :)

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ake-bites.html

RileyWorm 11-19-2011 09:11 AM

my favorite is something we call Swiss Vegetable Medley. it might not be the most gourmet of foods or anything new and exciting but i love it.

block of swiss cheese, cut into small dices (you can buy shredded but it is sooo much better with block cheese) (1 cup)
French Fried onions (1 can)
cream of mushroom soup
sour cream (1 cup)
frozen mixed veggies with broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots, thawed (16oz bag)

375 degrees
combine all ingredients, reserving 1/4 c. cheese and 1/4 c. FF onions. bake for 30 mins. top with remaining cheese and FF onions and bake additional 5 mins.

i think this casserole tastes best in a deeper dish, like a 2 quarter casserole. it doesn't turn out as well in a 9x13.

i don't have any calorie counts or anything on this dish. i don't think i want to know or i may never want to eat it again, lol.

-erin

Kissa 11-19-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15185291)
These look simple and good! I'd sub almond butter and either Ideal or stevia, personal preference :)

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ake-bites.html

I would love these except for the desiccated coconut, thinking real cocoa?

Quote:

Originally Posted by RileyWorm (Post 15188846)
my favorite is something we call Swiss Vegetable Medley. it might not be the most gourmet of foods or anything new and exciting but i love it.

block of swiss cheese, cut into small dices (you can buy shredded but it is sooo much better with block cheese) (1 cup)
French Fried onions (1 can)
cream of mushroom soup
sour cream (1 cup)
frozen mixed veggies with broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots, thawed (16oz bag)

375 degrees
combine all ingredients, reserving 1/4 c. cheese and 1/4 c. FF onions. bake for 30 mins. top with remaining cheese and FF onions and bake additional 5 mins.

i think this casserole tastes best in a deeper dish, like a 2 quarter casserole. it doesn't turn out as well in a 9x13.

i don't have any calorie counts or anything on this dish. i don't think i want to know or i may never want to eat it again, lol.

-erin

:hyst:

Beeb 11-19-2011 02:05 PM

Pumpkin Custard Pie

Pumpkin Custard Pie

Ingredients

* 1 3/4 cups pumpkin puree
* 3/4 cup white sugar or sugar sub
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
* 2 eggs, beaten
* 1 cup heavy whipping cream
* 1/2 cup milk
* 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust of choice. If using a nut crust it's best to bake it first, then add the pumpkin filling and bake as recipe is written here.

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. In a saucepan, stir the pumpkin over medium-high heat for 10 minutes or until slightly dry and caramelized.
3. Remove from heat; add the sugar, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Mix well.
4. Add the eggs, cream and milk. Mix until smooth; pour into pastry lined pie pan.
5. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Allow to completely cool on rack before cutting.

Nutritional Information with regular crust and sugar. Adjust for nut crusts and sugar sub:

Amount Per Serving Calories: 326 per slice based on pie cut into 8 slices.