Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   New-Question about Up and Down Days (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/745491-new-question-about-up-down-days.html)

handbells 11-14-2011 02:24 PM

New-Question about Up and Down Days

Hello All!

I'm sure the answer to this question is around somewhere, but I have no idea where to start looking. I did look at the JUDDD website, but it didn't have an answer for me. I do not have the book, but am looking into getting it. My question is this. Are the days just alternated? Do you do a set number of down days and then an up day? What day do you start with?

Thanks for any help! I greatly appreciate it!

Beeb 11-14-2011 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handbells (Post 15175068)
Hello All!

I'm sure the answer to this question is around somewhere, but I have no idea where to start looking. I did look at the JUDDD website, but it didn't have an answer for me. I do not have the book, but am looking into getting it. My question is this. Are the days just alternated? Do you do a set number of down days and then an up day? What day do you start with?

Thanks for any help! I greatly appreciate it!

:welcome: and hope you decide to join our JUDDD family! :high5:

OK, the rotation is usually Up Day (UD) and then Down Day (DD) and so on. This would mean one week you would have 4 DDs and 3 UDs and the next week you would have 3 DDs and 4 UDs (these are my favorite weeks ;):)). Now some do Monday, Wednesday, Friday as DDs and then Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday as UDs because it works better for their work/home/family schedule.

AND I always suggest you start with a good UD to make the first DD a lot easier. Just remember: It's always best to eat up to or close to your determined UD calories to make those DDs like hungry.

Here is a sticky that may help, too. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...nside-see.html

HTH

handbells 11-14-2011 02:50 PM

Thank you so very much! Sounds like my daughter's middle school schedule with A days and B days. lol!

Was thinking about starting tomorrow, but I think I'll wait until Wednesday so Thanksgiving can be an Up day! hahahaha

SoHappy 11-14-2011 03:20 PM

Welcome, Jenn!

Like Beeb said. ^ ^ ^ Just alternate your days, straight rotation. We do use a Medium Day (MD) occasionally in order to change the cycle, so that ALL holidays and party days and going out to favorite restaurant days and celebrations and festivals.. well, you get the idea. We want ALL of those fun social occasions that involve good food to fall on UP DAYS, and.. they always do. :laugh: If they aren't going to at first, we just stick a MD into our rotation, to use that to push the rotation back by one day, and whoopie.. now the *occasion* is found to fall on an UD after all! :hyst:

hockey_gal 11-14-2011 06:37 PM

I started my first day with a DD. I did protein shakes all day the first 3 DDs. I'm not sure if I adjusted and it got easier...or if eating "real food" made it easier. But if you are able to measure everything out methodically, I would suggest eating real food for your DDs. It fills you up better and really helps.

Good luck and let us know how you do,

jem51 11-15-2011 01:11 PM

I started w MWF DD's and let the weekend figure itself out since that is my busy time.
So this past weekend I ended up w normal alternating w Monday as UD.
I kept having to remind myself that it was UD and it was a little confusing.

I'm going back to the original plan and will keep MWF DD's throwing in MD on the weekend to make it work out, if necessary.

Meek75 11-15-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 15175083)
:welcome: and hope you decide to join our JUDDD family! :high5:

OK, the rotation is usually Up Day (UD) and then Down Day (DD) and so on. This would mean one week you would have 4 DDs and 3 UDs and the next week you would have 3 DDs and 4 UDs (these are my favorite weeks ;):)). Now some do Monday, Wednesday, Friday as DDs and then Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday as UDs because it works better for their work/home/family schedule.

AND I always suggest you start with a good UD to make the first DD a lot easier. Just remember: It's always best to eat up to or close to your determined UD calories to make those DDs like hungry.

Here is a sticky that may help, too. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ju...nside-see.html

HTH

Thanks for your post. I started today with a DD and failed miserably, ate 1660. Should i still do an UD tomorrow or attempt to do a real DD??

Meek75 11-15-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockey_gal (Post 15175851)
I started my first day with a DD. I did protein shakes all day the first 3 DDs. I'm not sure if I adjusted and it got easier...or if eating "real food" made it easier. But if you are able to measure everything out methodically, I would suggest eating real food for your DDs. It fills you up better and really helps.

Good luck and let us know how you do,

I agree and this is what I did until I got home this evening :doh:.

Beeb 11-15-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyGenesFit (Post 15179032)
Thanks for your post. I started today with a DD and failed miserably, ate 1660. Should i still do an UD tomorrow or attempt to do a real DD??

WELL, I always suggest starting with a good UD so I would say just make tomorrow a DD and proceed from there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyGenesFit (Post 15179056)
I agree and this is what I did until I got home this evening :doh:.

And even though some do the shakes, I just would peter out the first day if I did this. I need FOOD, I need to CHEW and I know this so the shakes weren't even an option for me, as easy as I'm sure they can be. I just measured, weighed and looked around for all the foods that would give me the most bang for my calorie buck on my DDs. I eat a lot of good stuff on my DDs. I'd like to suggest you check out the "what are you eating today" threads AND the DD only recipe thread.

Lots of AMAZING ideas in there! ;)

Meek75 11-15-2011 07:54 PM

Thanks Linda. I'm going to develop my UD/DD schedule based in the info in your post and go from there.

I wi also check out the threads you mention as well. I pretty much have a plan for my DDs (protein, fat, veggies, and 1 fruit). Im nervous about the UDs cause I dont want to start eating junk foods!

I dont know...will figure it all out soon.

Beeb 11-15-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyGenesFit (Post 15179102)
Thanks Linda. I'm going to develop my UD/DD schedule based in the info in your post and go from there.

I wi also check out the threads you mention as well. I pretty much have a plan for my DDs (protein, fat, veggies, and 1 fruit). Im nervous about the UDs cause I dont want to start eating junk foods!

I dont know...will figure it all out soon.

Then don't eat junk food, just eat like you know is good for you, and yup you WILL figure it out, we all do and actually pretty quickly, too. Another WONDERFUL side effect of JUDDD! ;):hugs:

handbells 11-16-2011 05:13 AM

Well, got through my first DD. I think I did pretty well. I was just under my allotted calories of 468. I did get a little hungry at points, but I'll figure it all out!

Today is my first UD and I'm a little nervous. But if I got through my DD, I can get through this day too!

Sandelio 11-16-2011 05:23 AM

Way to go Jenn!

Now make sure to eat ALL of your UD calories!!!

handbells 11-16-2011 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandelio (Post 15179579)
Way to go Jenn!

Now make sure to eat ALL of your UD calories!!!

That is going to be tough! There are a lot of them!

Sandelio 11-16-2011 05:57 AM

Yeppers! But it's the GAP between the two days calories that wakes your metabolism up! If you do a DD followed by another low calorie day you're just telling your metabolism "Hey, you know what? You can just lie around and do nothing like you have been for too long Mr. Metabolsim. I like being this weight and want to continue living a life deprived of things that taste good!"

:hyst:

EAT!!!

:D

Meek75 11-16-2011 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handbells (Post 15179547)
Well, got through my first DD. I think I did pretty well. I was just under my allotted calories of 468. I did get a little hungry at points, but I'll figure it all out!

Today is my first UD and I'm a little nervous. But if I got through my DD, I can get through this day too!

Did you weigh afterwards? If so, please share your results. Thanks.

sophiethecat 11-16-2011 07:17 AM

WTG on a great first DD, Jenn! :high5: I'm always amazed at how so many can :sing: those DD from the start! I had to lower my numbers over time. :) DD were a big adjustment to me. :)

Anyway, enjoy all those UD calories today! :jumpjoy: Like Sandelio said, you need that wide spread between UD and DD. So you can make your body go >> :stars: over not having to lower your metabolism after that low-cal DD, because now it has all the food it can hope for! :jumpjoy:

Beeb 11-16-2011 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handbells (Post 15179547)

Congrats on your first DD success!! Look forward to many more, too because they just get easier and easier! :jumpjoy:

I drink coffee with fat free half and half on my DDs when I get hungry, and I'm NOT a coffee drinker. :doh::) At least I wasn't until I started JUDDD. ;) I found out, by mistake, that doing this stopped my hunger cold for a few hours and THIS is a good thing.:D You may find that drinking anything hot; broth, coffee, tea, even hot water may do the same thing. I think it's the "hot" that is the suppressive and not so much what we are drinking. :dunno:

And PLEASE eat up to or close to your UD calories today. You NEED those calories for your DD tomorrow and if you don't get them I just KNOW you are going to be more hungry and not happy! :( They really DO make the DDs easier! ;)

handbells 11-16-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyGenesFit (Post 15179763)
Did you weigh afterwards? If so, please share your results. Thanks.

I did not weigh myself this morning. Believe me it was a struggle not to, but I have a tendency to get discouraged easily if I don't see immediate results. lol. So, I'm waiting for 1 week before I weigh.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandelio (Post 15179691)
Yeppers! But it's the GAP between the two days calories that wakes your metabolism up! If you do a DD followed by another low calorie day you're just telling your metabolism "Hey, you know what? You can just lie around and do nothing like you have been for too long Mr. Metabolsim. I like being this weight and want to continue living a life deprived of things that taste good!"

:hyst:

EAT!!!

:D

985 calories down, 1357 to go! lol!