Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Calories on labels (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/745474-calories-labels.html)

artsyfartsy 11-14-2011 12:13 PM

Calories on labels

Hi, quick question. I have not started Juddd, but use to use it many years ago with success.

I happened to be cooking 3 slices of bacon today. On the label it reads 70 cals for 3 pan fried slices (14g).

So, out of curiosity I decided to weigh my pieces after cooking. I drained and paper toweled them dry. Well, the first slice weighed exactly 14 g. That would mean that slice alone is 70 cals. Add the other two slices to it and it was 34 g total. Well, this is so far off from the nutritional label for the 3 slices. This means those 3 slices are really 153 cals etc. 83 extra calories that I didn't expect. Little by little these discrepancies add up fast.

I know nutritional labels are an estimate, but this is so far off. I have found the same with many other products when I decide to figure serving sizes based on weight then by a number of XX, cup, TBl, tsp, etc...it's an eye opener!

Just FYI!

Things like this can really throw you off if you are calorie counting......sucks for a DD.

Sandelio 11-14-2011 01:20 PM

Is it possible they meant 3 slices at 14g each???

Beeb 11-14-2011 01:53 PM

I agree with you, labels lie!! I always check with several other online sources and then just do an average for the amount of calories if I think the label is off.

Somethings, like bacon, we just KNOW the labeling is not right! :down:

gotsomeold 11-14-2011 01:59 PM

Check the mice type on the back. Somewhere practically - gasp - hidden you will find some obscure wording that, once you figure out the hidden message, means calories, carbs, etc are based on individual pieces NOT on serving size.

It's legal. I vaguely remember when it was legalized a long time ago.

As stated, trust nothing, hit the internet and figure it out.

SoHappy 11-14-2011 03:13 PM

I almost don't use the calorie figures on labels for stuff like this. I weigh almost everything that I make my meals of, so I'd go by whatever ****** says X number of ounces, cooked, was. And then for good or for ill, that would be that.

Low Carb Librarian 11-14-2011 11:21 PM

Yes, it drives me crazy at times. Just last night I had to try to figure out how much popcorn I could have from the bag I popped...

Dottie 11-15-2011 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Carb Librarian (Post 15176234)
Yes, it drives me crazy at times. Just last night I had to try to figure out how much popcorn I could have from the bag I popped...

What did you come up with? Microwave popcorn has always confused the heck out of me.

Low Carb Librarian 11-17-2011 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15176363)
What did you come up with? Microwave popcorn has always confused the heck out of me.

It is crazy! I think the bag said that it made 4.5 cups popped and the bag had 2 servings. The cals were 35 for one cup... I don't know why they don't just put the cals per serving! Any way... They also say a serving is 2 tbs of unpopped which was something like 170 cals... But if that 2 tbs turns into half a pack of popcorn then where did the rest of the cals go???? Whatever... I just took 2 cups and gave the rest to my DH.

Beeb 11-18-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Carb Librarian (Post 15176234)

Why I ONLY get the 100 calorie bags! ;)

dasiey 11-18-2011 04:29 PM

I had a can of lite progresso soup the whole can is 160c.
it made me wonder. there was rice a few beans a couple chunks of
chicken but mostly broth. It made me wonder.

Low Carb Librarian 12-02-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 15186900)
Why I ONLY get the 100 calorie bags! ;)

Yes!
I have these at work so I don't waste (or eat) the other servings.

When I eat at home I try to picture how much was in the 100 cal pack and just take that much.

dasiey 12-04-2011 05:42 PM

the other item I was wondering about arctic blast ice cream 150c
for the entire pint.

has anyone tried these.
and if so what do you think?