Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
I'm in!

Well, thanks to the helpful and welcoming advice of so many of you on this JUDDD forum, I've made the plunge. Started on Saturday w/a DD, so today is my 2nd DD.

I read Dr. Johnson's book, and despite my disagreeing with him on a few points (mainly that LC is unsustainable and that saturated fat is evil), lots of it made sense to me. This combined with reading all of your experiences/advice has prompted me to take the leap.

BUT... due to my height 5'1" and age (51), my DD cals are only 300!!! That scares me so much. I've seen some of you do higher cals, but I don't want to sabotage myself right off the bat.

I actually like the idea of shakes for the 1st couple of weeks, like Dr J suggested. I'm using the Pure Protein shakes and they do help my hunger. FOR ME it will help me to get used to not eating much, feeling empty during the "induction" period. That, plus I don't have to think about food yet while I'm planning and reaping good info from all of you on good DD foods/staples/recipes. I'm also planning to still do relatively LC, or at least MC, since I know that for me, grains and sugars make me feel yucky.

So what has been the experience of you that might be close to my height and age with dealing w/so few DD cals? Did you up your cals to make this WOE eating sustainable? If so, have you been able to continually lose weight? I don't mind slow and steady. Lost that way w/just LC, but after 9 mos, I seem to be stuck at the same weight, and have about 12 lbs to get to my goal.

Looking forward to chatting with you all on the JUDDD forum!
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
and SO to see you joining our JUDDD family!

My calories for my DD were very low, 365 when I first looked into JUDDD and on Pat's advice I upped them to a number I felt comfortable with but were still in the JUDDD guidelines for DD and UD calories.

I used 45% on the calculator because I only had 6 pounds to the goal I wanted, which gave me 742 for my DDs and 1649 for my UDs. I lowered the DD calories to 700 and stayed with the UD calorie number and I lost those 6 pounds PLUS another 10 since from Aug 1 to Nov. 8.

Most recommend keeping to 500 calories or less on your DDs and that is very doable for lots of folks here. What's really funny is I only reached my 700 calorie ceiling one day, all the rest were 625 or under. I guess I really didn't need all of those 700 calories but it just made me feel better and I think actually stick better to plan, especially in the first couple of weeks knowing I COULD eat up to 700 calories, if I wanted to.

HTH and looking forward to reading about your progress with JUDDD!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Glad you're joining us, MaineMom !! Good luck and we look forward to all your posts and progress reports!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!

Very, very happy to have you here! I expect you're going to do very well.

And I can identify with the stature and age thing, at least a little. I'm 5'-3"... so have 2" on you there, but am 68 years old, so that advantage goes to you. But it can really be done no matter our height or our age, or low thyroid or inability to exercise much or whatever has befallen us. The only thing I feel is TOTALLY UNFAIR is that most short people just plainly can't eat as many calories as the taller folks, and that is But, that being said, I eat a whole lot more calories than lots of women do who are much younger and much taller than I am, so you can improve your metabolism (usually) which will give you a bit more leeway in your future. And that's a nice thing.

Using the shakes for your first couple of weeks is just fine. Or not. Or weaning onto food sometime before the end of the two weeks. Strictly up to you.

500 calories for your DDs during your induction period is recommended. Less is fine. AND, more is OK if you have to in order to stick. I'm a spoiled baby and couldn't do 500 very well at first, so had to sort of work down. I wish I'd done it right from the start though, 'cause I'd have just done better right from the start as well.

Once your induction is over, you can remain at 500 calorie DDs, or choose to eat DD calories at any percentage of your UD calorie number that you feel most comfortable at. That can be 20%, which will have you way under 500, I'm sure. Up to maybe 35%, which may give you a few more above just 500. You choose, and that choice is sometimes partly determined by how fast you want to lose too, and how able you are to manage your fasting days, the DDs.

I think you will adore this plan. And doing it low carb is just fine. Your food choices are entirely up to you. Do be aware that you can eat anything. But also, if you start adding the carbs back in, you will gain weight back again... just that water weight coming back, not fat... but it's offputting to some folks. Me, I could care less so am well stocked up in stored carb fuel and water weight! Just as long as a lot of that fat doesn't come back, I'm a happy gal.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, my good JUDDD BUDDDs! After reading some great recommendations from you all on the "DD staples" and "some favorite DD foods" threads, I went shopping and stocked up on some low cal foods - HARD TO DO after strictly LCing for months. But I did incorporate some Kimchee into my DD today, along w/a shake, and I plan to have some veggies and a shake at dinner tonight. I'm not nearly as hungry as I thought I'd be, but did feel a bit cranky and head-achy this afternoon. Some water and a coffee took care of that and now I feel great!
Old 11-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemom View Post
Thanks, my good JUDDD BUDDDs! After reading some great recommendations from you all on the "DD staples" and "some favorite DD foods" threads, I went shopping and stocked up on some low cal foods - HARD TO DO after strictly LCing for months. But I did incorporate some Kimchee into my DD today, along w/a shake, and I plan to have some veggies and a shake at dinner tonight. I'm not nearly as hungry as I thought I'd be, but did feel a bit cranky and head-achy this afternoon. Some water and a coffee took care of that and now I feel great!
Thread jump here, sorry: Do you make your own Kimchee or do you buy it? I make my own without the fish sauce, just love it that way. I have posted the recipe on a thread in the Recipe help and suggestions thread on our LCFs site. Go check it out. So easy and quick! Would love your recipe if you have it! Kimchee is a GREAT DD treat, very low cal, great tasting and good for us, too!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
Thread jump here, sorry: Do you make your own Kimchee or do you buy it? I make my own without the fish sauce, just love it that way. I have posted the recipe on a thread in the Recipe help and suggestions thread on our LCFs site. Go check it out. So easy and quick! Would love your recipe if you have it! Kimchee is a GREAT DD treat, very low cal, great tasting and good for us, too!
Linda - I don't make my own - bought it at the grocery store today. But I want to check out your recipe. My dad served in the military in Korea many, many years ago and he introduced me to it as he loves it (me, the milder version - him HOT HOT HOT!) Thanks for the suggestion!