Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 05:30 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinjob
Stats: 157/156/130
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: November 7, 2011 (Did Atkins first in 2001)
One Week Check-In

Well it's been a week since I started JUDDD and according to the scale this morning I have lost exactly nothing. This is particularly distressing since yesterday was a DD and I was very strict and I've been tracking everything using ************. Earlier in the week I was down 3lbs, then gained 1lb after an UD, then gained 2.5 more after a DD, which put me exactly where I started at the beginning of last week. 157.5.

After seeing people lose 5 and even 9lbs after their first week, I gotta say I was pretty bummed when I saw the scale this morning. But I'm going to keep going anyway. Hoping I've got a major whoosh coming or something. I've just never heard of anyone gaining 2.5lbs after a DD. Maybe I'm losing inches? (I hope).
Skinjob is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Any input?
Old 11-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandelio
Stats: 199/184/160
WOE: JUDDD
Being new myself, I don't have any brilliant input, BUT you might not be getting responses due to the fact that I think a lot of people just check the threads they are "subscribed" to when they're in a hurry, not seeing individual posts like this.

Try copying and pasting it to the loooooooong "Weight Management" thread.....

Good luck!
Sandelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kel7298
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: 5:2
Start Date: October 2011
Give it at least another week SJ. Our weight can vary 3lbs during a week.
kel7298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks ladies!
Old 11-14-2011, 11:47 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjob View Post
Well it's been a week since I started JUDDD and according to the scale this morning I have lost exactly nothing. This is particularly distressing since yesterday was a DD and I was very strict and I've been tracking everything using ************. Earlier in the week I was down 3lbs, then gained 1lb after an UD, then gained 2.5 more after a DD, which put me exactly where I started at the beginning of last week. 157.5.

After seeing people lose 5 and even 9lbs after their first week, I gotta say I was pretty bummed when I saw the scale this morning. But I'm going to keep going anyway. Hoping I've got a major whoosh coming or something. I've just never heard of anyone gaining 2.5lbs after a DD. Maybe I'm losing inches? (I hope).
Well, this ^^^ isn't the direction you want, so I sympathize!

Now, let's try to figure out what the story is that would lead to these results and get things tweaked a bit.

I'm just heading out the door again today for a couple more hours, but will check when I get home... in the meantime, if you see this, how about posting the stats and some info here.

I assume you are female. Age? We have current weight, but also need height? And your exercise level that would be your REAL exercise level, and I only stress that part because we so often really over-impress ourselves on a not-too-impressive amount of exercise apparently.

Then, did you come here from another eating plan, and if so.. was it a quite low carb plan? And were you eating at a very low carb level on that plan.. I mean sticking to it real well and not cheating with carbs?

And then, have you stuck to those food choices this past week as well? Same foods? Have you begun to add back in some carb choices yet? If so, what were those choices and when, and how often?

What calorie numbers have you been using.. what are your UD and DD numbers? Have you been true to your calorie ceilings? Eating up to your UD ceiling pretty well without going over? And not going over your DD calorie number? And are you doing the rotation day by day, as opposed to two UDs in a row plus another MD, etc.?

I'll check in later and hope you've been online in the meantime to fill us in. I feel certain that we can sure get this figured out now that we know there is a problem. No sense in letting this continue.

Hang in there!

Last edited by SoHappy; 11-14-2011 at 11:51 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 142/119.6/115
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2014
I'll be intrested in seeing what you have to say Sohapy. I am up 3 pounds since Friday but I have been eating lots of carbs even though I am staying within my calorie range. Today is my second DD. I hope the pounds start to melt off soon SkinJob.
Idreamofweightloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

SoHappy, thanks for offering to help. Here's some info:

I'm 36, female, 5'7". I was on Atkins (for years) but it stopped working and the weight just crept up and up. So I've been using the calculators and so my ratio is 500/1800. I've stuck to those numbers most days though I did go over on one UD by 200 cals. I have never gone over on a DD. I don't really exercise, save for walking. I walk a few times a week, but I just put in "no exercise" into those calculators so I'd be underestimating, rather than overestimating my exercise level. I'm using a calorie tracker on my phone to keep myself more honest. I am not counting carbs. I am eating as many of those as I need on my UDs (without eating junk like chips, cookies or donuts). The one time I did eat pizza, it was ultra thin crust (170 cals per slice) so I am not overdoing the carbs. I've been eating all kinds of "new" stuff on this plan. New as in things I never thought I could have like a real sandwich! Hope this helps. Thanks for the assistance!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Also, i've been alternating UD and DD. No MDs.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:23 PM   #10
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
I think you are pretty much doing what you should so I'm going to suggest you give it another week. I'm saying this because sometimes when we re-introduce carbs our bodies and they hold onto more water weight than usual.

Keep going for another week and see what happens. I think you may be surprised, really!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Quote:
I'm 36, female, 5'7". I was on Atkins (for years) but it stopped working and the weight just crept up and up. So I've been using the calculators and so my ratio is 500/1800. I've stuck to those numbers most days though I did go over on one UD by 200 cals. I have never gone over on a DD. I don't really exercise, save for walking. I walk a few times a week, but I just put in "no exercise" into those calculators so I'd be underestimating, rather than overestimating my exercise level. I'm using a calorie tracker on my phone to keep myself more honest. I am not counting carbs. I am eating as many of those as I need on my UDs (without eating junk like chips, cookies or donuts). The one time I did eat pizza, it was ultra thin crust (170 cals per slice) so I am not overdoing the carbs. I've been eating all kinds of "new" stuff on this plan. New as in things I never thought I could have like a real sandwich! Hope this helps. Thanks for the assistance!
OK, this is what it is *feeling* like to me to start with. First of all, I put your stats into both Freedieting and JUDDD calculators and got 1725 and 1770 for your suggested UD maintenance calories.

So, you might start by lowering your UD calorie number to about 1750. Not a big change, but a smidge of help there maybe. Your DD cals of 500 are fine, and you say you're not going over them, so that is golden.

I did forget to ask if you were truly weighing out your food portions on a food scale, measuring out your food portions in measuring cups and spoons, etc. Just estimating can get us in trouble and leave us in a position of not really knowing the truth of our calorie consumption after all, but I'm going to assume that you are really doing an accurate job with your calorie amounts. So that's good.

Truthfully, I think what is happening to you is what happens to many of us when we start. I think you have lost some FAT this week. And I think you have regained some water weight from having an increase of carbohydrate in your diet. And I think these two things have canceled each other out, so that on the scale, you weigh the same as when you started. But I'm inclined to think that if you'd had a fat percentage analysis done at the start of the week and now.. it would show that you'd actually lost a bit of fat this week.

But, see.. a scale doesn't tell us what the weight is made up of.. only the number. So you can retain some water from eating some salty ham, or eat more carbs and be storing up some carb fuel along with the resulting water regain in your muscle tissue and liver, you might still have a gut full of yesterday's big meals, etc. The scale just tells us what the morning weight is, not why it's that high or low.

So my guess is.. you're doing pretty good and have lost some fat. And regained some water weight all at the same time. I wish we could just not care about it, I mean, about the number. Water weight isn't FAT.

Ask Paula how her scale still has her in a pretty close range of weight read-outs, but Oh Boy! Her body is changing and redistributing her fat stores, and she is measuring herself smaller and smaller!

After a little while, your body pretty much gets its refill of stored carb fuel, along with the corresponding water weight, all tucked back into place as Mother Nature designed, and your fat loss will be more evident.

But, DO EXPECT the biggest weight fluctuations you've ever endured on JUDDD, because I've never been on a plan that had more ups and downs on the scale than this one!!!

Overall, I just think you need to hang in there. Oh, and maybe lower UD cals by 50 or so. LOL
Old 11-14-2011, 03:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idreamofweightloss View Post
I'll be intrested in seeing what you have to say Sohapy. I am up 3 pounds since Friday but I have been eating lots of carbs even though I am staying within my calorie range. Today is my second DD. I hope the pounds start to melt off soon SkinJob.
Welcome to the club. LOLOL

Read my response to SkinJob above. ^ ^ ^ I expect your situation is the same... water weight regain from increasing the carbs in your diet at the beginning. It all sorts itself out after a few days, and then your losses of FAT become more evident on the scale.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Wow, thank you for taking the time to respond with such a lengthy post! I'm gonna keep going and try to drink more water. And yes I am definitely measuring (which I hate doing) but I'll keep it up. Thanks again for the support. Bless your heart.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Wow, thank you for taking the time to respond with such a lengthy post! I'm gonna keep going and try to drink more water. And yes I am definitely measuring (which I hate doing) but I'll keep it up. Thanks again for the support. Bless your heart.
As to the measuring, that actually does get easier, faster, and a bit of it can even fall by the wayside as you get into it.

One thing that can help is to have a sort of collection of meal choices that you fix for DDs for example. Like you will have a recipe for a DD egg white scramble with onion, green peppers, and mushrooms. Your recipe will have how much of each thing, and the calories will already be all written up on your recipe, so from that moment on... making that meal choice is already half done. Just chop and pitch stuff into a cup as you work, throw it all into the skillet and cook.

If you have enough of these meals already figured and measured out and calories tallied, all written out and in your collection, most of your DDs are a breeze. That just leaves the attending of the UDs, and they are the ones that are sometimes hit or miss because of eating out, etc. but we just do the best we can.

And if it good enough, which it almost always is... we get skinny.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:28 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Back down to 154.7 this morning. When I first stepped on the scale it said 151.5! I couldn't believe it so I stepped off and re-weighed and it said 154.5. I even moved it to a new place and still got 154.5. Darn scales!
Old 11-15-2011, 05:34 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandelio
Stats: 199/184/160
There, see?!?!?!? And then if you keep up the good work, I'm sure you'll see more loss this week!

Darn scales is right! I was thinking about buying a new one, but haven't gotten around to it!
Sandelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:40 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gardengoddess
Stats: 199 highest/187/157 current/130 5'2
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Restart: 9/5/2013
Quote:
Back down to 154.7 this morning. When I first stepped on the scale it said 151.5! I couldn't believe it so I stepped off and re-weighed and it said 154.5. I even moved it to a new place and still got 154.5. Darn scales!
Maybe you need a new one?
gardengoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:25 AM   #18

So yesterday morning you posted that you were still 157.5.... and this morning you have a scale reading of 154.5.... three pounds less. Welcome to JUDDD. And, Congratulations.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:29 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Yeah I was 154 earlier in the week as well. Good to be back down there, after an UD no less. I think I do need a new scale. But my DH said he could SEE I look smaller so that's encouraging!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:43 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
And make sure you do measure yourself...you may be losing inches without weight...that's happened to me some on this plan.
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Skinjob--I have a scale that runs on batteries--I don't know if yours does--but, when the batteries are low--it gives me 3 different readings in a row!!
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:16 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ccrickett
Stats: 249(HW)199/134/145
WOE: LCtweaks/JUDDD
Start Date: '80's/90's/2000's/Nov 2010
Hi Skinjob , I only lost .4 of a lb at the end of my first week. Hopefully we've both gained water weight from the change in carb status & next week will be a good one.
ccrickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsam1156 View Post
Skinjob--I have a scale that runs on batteries--I don't know if yours does--but, when the batteries are low--it gives me 3 different readings in a row!!
Yeah mine is on batteries too. I just replaced it. And it's messing with me again! After my DD yesterday I am up 2Lbs. Am I the only person that GAINS after DDs?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrickett View Post
Hi Skinjob , I only lost .4 of a lb at the end of my first week. Hopefully we've both gained water weight from the change in carb status & next week will be a good one.
I've seen the same 3lbs come and go in a week and a half of JUDDD, which is the same thing that was happening to me on Atkins, so it's very discouraging, but I'm not giving up yet! People lose so well on this WOE, I want to be one of them!
Old 11-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/120/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
I have a suggestion for you:

Only weigh once a month or once every 2 weeks!

I find the scale is not my friend at times, makes me depressed and then I eat, eat, eat!

It is hard not to step on it, I know. I usually only step on once a month but today I also stepped on it as i was going for a physical and wanted to know how accurate my scale is, so on I hopped today. My scale is off by less then 3 # according to the doctor that is!

Hope this helps!
leonak is online now   Reply With Quote