Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/130/120
WOE: Low-carb IF/JUDDD Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
New to JUDDD, need advice

I am a low-carber, a yo-yo dieter, a size 0 to size 16 and back again, over and over and over person.

I also tend towards all-or-nothing thinking, and I tend to restrict my calories more and more as I progress, until I go into starvation mode and I stall out. Counterproductive; I have ruined my metabolism!

So, here I am - again. I am approaching goal - again. And as before, I have been lowering my calories more and more to compensate for my slowing metabolism and the natural slowdown of weight loss as I approach my ideal weight. And now I recognize that this is not a good approach for me, especially if I want to get off the yo-yo wagon and MAINTAIN when I get to my goal weight.

Therefore, for the last several weeks of the year, and probably for at least a few months of the New Year as I explore my food choices and work out a maintenance calorie level, I plan to try a JUDDD program.

I plan to JUDDD to re-set my metabolism to a higher point. At the same time, I have plans for when I reach my goal, hopefully around New Year's.

When I reach my goal weight, rather than saying, "OK, I'm done now!" - and then gaining it all back as usual, instead I plan to change my goals around. My new goal will be to up my fat and protein, start a weight training program, and to make fitness mini goals for myself, rather than weight-related goals. I will see if I can increase my endurance on the elliptical trainer, lower my resting heart rate, maybe do some bodybuilding, etc. Not because I want to be a super athlete or something, but because I want to be healthy, fit, and active. Take up hiking! Go for long bike rides! Volunteer to assist with my kid's school's sports program. Etc.

Ultimately I hope to build a healthy, active lifestyle. To re-set my metabolism to maintain a healthy weight at some kind of normal calorie level. To build a muscle base and a metabolic rate which can support healthy vegetarian eating and moderate, non-obssessive carb/calorie counting.

So, do you think JUDDD is my ticket? I think it's worth a try!

Today was a DD, tomorrow will be an UD. This will be a little scary for me; ADDING calories (to my UD's) to LOSE the last 15 pounds. Convince me this is what I should be doing!

Last edited by nikki; 11-13-2011 at 06:21 PM..
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Hi, Nikki! Most of the folks here are going to tell you that JUDDD can pretty much take care of the things you are hoping for. It will allow you to eat the foods of your choice... JUDDD doesn't care what foods you include in your menus. And this plan will help you lose the weight you want gone. And, yes, you can probably help your metabolism, but not by lowering your calories, so you'll want to make sure your UD number is well figured and truly correct for you, and then it's about as important to eat up to that number as it is to not go over your DD calories.

What calorie number are you using for your UDs?

Most of us have a lot of fluctuations in weight on the scale, but lose the fat through it all. It's an easy plan, allows for some very good eating, brings on nice weight loss, and makes us feel great! I think you'll love it as much as we do.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

UP day, here I come!

Because I am of short stature and close to goal, I am getting a number around 1000 - 1200 calories for fat loss, which I am still shooting for until I lose these last 15 pounds. I used the following two calculators:

Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs
Calorie Calculator

So I was thinking 400 for DD and 1600 for UD would be totally doable for me. Although as I said the 1600 figure is a little intimidating - downright scary for someone who leans towards excessive caloric restriction. I know the theory of WHY it will work, but getting past the emotional barrier ("eating more calories will make me fatter") is going to be really hard for me. From what I read, 400 is the TOP number for induction, so maybe to play it safe I can do 350 on DD for the first two weeks. And it is possible that I will need more calories on UD, especially if I become more active, so maybe I will end up with 350/1800 or something like that, at least for induction.

I think I need to just give it a chance to work. If I really stick to the plan 100% and don't cheat (which in my case would be eating too FEW calories on up days) I will at least know if it worked by New Years.

Then if I have had no results, I can take a different approach during the month of January and it may be another month or two until I am finally at goal weight. I can live with that! Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? So tomorrow I am diving in to my first "up" day. It will still be low-carb, but I will give myself permission to eat a lot more veggies and protein, maybe a little more fat. Sour cream and nuts! Yay!

It will also mean less fiber supplements and no more potassium supplements either.

Wish me luck, here I gooooooo!

Last edited by nikki; 11-13-2011 at 09:15 PM..
Old 11-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Question, though:

I keep seeing "MD" in a lot of these threads. I assume "MD" is "medium day"?

If these are permitted, I would use this as a tool on Saturdays to keep on a weekly schedule so that UD's and DD's fall on the same weekdays every week ~ am I guessing right? How do you all feel about MD's? And are they permitted on induction, on Saturdays only?

What about an occasional fasting day; is that termed "FD"?

And what about alternating - like, every other Saturday would be an MD or a FD? That way Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday would always be "up"days, and Monday, Wednesday and Friday would always be down days... because Sundays will always be an up day on my family's schedule.

Sorry, lots of questions here...
Old 11-14-2011, 05:39 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandelio
Stats: 199/184/160
WOE: JUDDD
I believe FD means FREE DAY - an up day without counting calories.... for very special ocassions....
Sandelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:48 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandelio View Post
I believe FD means FREE DAY - an up day without counting calories.... for very special ocassions....
Ah, thank you! That should have been obvious if I had just read through more of the threads, huh?

Yeah, Free Days for me might be Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, and 4th of July. And that's about it.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:54 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandelio
Stats: 199/184/160
WOE: JUDDD
Yeah, same here. I think most of the threads where I was seeing FD's were ones where people had REACHED their goals and were discussing how to make the plan easier for LIFELONG maintenance. I'M NOT THERE YET! LOL!

Last edited by Sandelio; 11-14-2011 at 05:55 AM..
Sandelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Nikki, a MD is just as you guessed.. a Medium Day, so it's calorie number is the average of your UD and DD together. And it is inserted when you need to make your rotation change. Some of us rarely use them as they interrupt that huge pounding *piston action* of high/low.. high/low.. feasting/fasting. But when you need to change your rotation in order to assure that an upcoming event lands on an UD, you can insert the MD to change your rotation and have every holiday, every party, every celebration land on the UDs, and you can feast like a queen!

Some do rely on the MD to hold their weeks to the same schedule all the time. They have a reason to need certain days to always be UDs or DDs, so they make use of the MD every week to keep their rotation always the same, and the one day of no real high/low is just the price of that. They still usually lose weight just fine!

But the FD is a whole different story, and that is not a day we use during weight loss at all! That is a Free Day, and is just what its name implies... a day that is not *just* an UD, its calories are not even counted or accounted for. They might be 1000 or they might be 4000. They may be about where they should be, or they may be spiraling way off base. They are simply not counted... they are Free.

FDs are used by some people in maintenance simply for the joy of being free of the feeling of any worry or restrictions at all when it comes to diet. They are usually worked into the rotation very gradually, being used to replace only an occasional UD in the rotation which is still being followed even in maintenance.

The hope is, and this is what we count on.. the hope is that by maintenance, we've finally pretty much learned about how to eat reasonably on UDs. And we hopefully can do a pretty good job of it without ruining it all for ourselves. The hope is that we can eat well without going too far over our UD calories, and as importantly, or more so, is that we don't start falling too short of our UD calorie numbers. Don't want to be slowing the metabolism once again.

Doing a FD is fun and freeing as it is intended, but can undo a lot of success if it isn't enjoyed correctly, and it's our days of *getting there* that have hopefully trained us to be able to do FDs safely.

So, that's the story of FDs. LOL

Edited: to say that it's not anywhere in the original plan as such.... LOL

Last edited by SoHappy; 11-14-2011 at 08:58 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Nikki and so nice to see your interest in joining our JUDDD family! They are the best of the best on this site!!

It seems you have gotten lots of good advice here, so the only thing I will add is I am now going to start doing a FD here and here because I'm at goal (my second, actually) and have found I can afford to do this once in a while, like holidays, birthday, days out with family/friends. Joedi and Sophie are also doing this, but again they are in maintenance, like myself. I personally would not throw a FD while I was in weight loss mode, and have only used 1 MD to fix my rotation so that Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve would be UDs for me. I may even make these FDs but not sure yet.

BUT, how every YOU decide to do JUDDD I think your calories, as you posted, seem like good numbers and the nice thing is you can always play around and adjust those numbers. It's the calorie gap that is the "magic" of JUDDD, it seems. As long as your gap is close to what is suggested for weight loss you will be golden!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 11-14-2011 at 09:25 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Glad you're joining us, Nikki!!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote