Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Puzzling Over Juddd Maintainance Calories!

According to the average given on calorie counters...my maintainance calories are approx 1790 a day, my weightloss cals are 1400.

Going by the juddd site,I should be doing about 1850/1000 at the highest level of maintainance.

This gives me a daily average of 1425...weightloss levels

So, on juddd...we can maintain on what would normally be weightloss level calories?

Is this to continue get the benefits of calorie restriction?

Keep wondering about it, and wondered if anyone had any explainations?

Jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
Funny I had a similar question on page 54 of the maintenance thread. I posted:

Quote:
If I put in a goal weight of 112 at 60%, I get this - 1484 and 890. If a person eats 60% of their "normal calorie allowance", wouldn't they continue to lose weight?

Maybe at a weight of 112 pounds, the real "normal caloric allowance" is actually the average of the 2 numbers which would be around 1187.

I'm so confused about his little chart and the percentages
Here are some of the answers:

PaulaBob:

Quote:
Just so you know, it doesn't make sense to me. With that nursing home population where they didn't want them to lose weight, they raised their up day calories to 50% over maintenance calories. So it was like 1000 calories one day, 3000 the next. The average of two days was their normal caloric allowance so they didn't lose weight but benefitted from JUDDD.

I certainly don't want my maintenance average to be lower than it should be.
Then I responded:

Quote:
That's what I'm thinking. When it's time to maintain, the two numbers should average out to be your maintenance calories if you had eaten the same everyday. So if mine are 1500, I could do 2200 and 800.
I believe that for maintainers, Johnson's calculator is broken Have you noticed that when you change the different maintenance percentages, that UD #, which is probably your maintenance number, stays the same and only the down day #s change? It would still be a calorie deficit overall which would lead to more weight loss!
julietcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
I think it may also have to do with not counting UD calories. If you aren't counting them, and know you are in maintenance, you may end up naturally eating that higher amount that keeps you from losing weight. I think a lot of people do it that way, just count calories on their down days.

I certainly want to be able to eat a bit extra in maintenance...
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

I must have missed that Julie...Juddd is just so busy at the mo!

You said When it's time to maintain, the two numbers should average out to be your maintenance calories if you had eaten the same everyday.

This is just what I was thinking...I am going to try and work out what mine should be.

Beeb and sohappy...and any other maintainers...what do you think?

hugs
Jo
x
Old 11-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by julietcc View Post
I believe that for maintainers, Johnson's calculator is broken Have you noticed that when you change the different maintenance percentages, that UD #, which is probably your maintenance number, stays the same and only the down day #s change? It would still be a calorie deficit overall which would lead to more weight loss!
I noticed this too. Seems a bit odd to me.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
I think it may also have to do with not counting UD calories. If you aren't counting them, and know you are in maintenance, you may end up naturally eating that higher amount that keeps you from losing weight. I think a lot of people do it that way, just count calories on their down days.

I certainly want to be able to eat a bit extra in maintenance...
That is my aim! I now have every other UD as a FD (free day)

I have upped my DD cals by 100 to 600, and will up them again in a week or two.

My aim is to truly diet every other day!

Hugs
Jo
x
Old 11-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedi View Post
That is my aim! I now have every other UD as a FD (free day)

I have upped my DD cals by 100 to 600, and will up them again in a week or two.

Hugs
Jo
x
I'd like to do that, too. I'm not quite that trusting of myself yet, though, because I know at special events, I can easily eat 3 plates of food! I think by doing JUDDD for awhile longer, I'll be able to regulate myself better on up days.
julietcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #8
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
OK, this is what I'm doing because the UD calories stay the same no matter what % I put in the JUDDD calculator for maintenance. Using that UD number I was still losing weight. There is a thread that we talked about my continued losing problem here: Playing Around With The Calories Even though we were talking about me staying at 145/140 I went on to lose 10 more pounds so never really did the calories all the time that was discussed on the thread until just recently.

I played around and got an average daily calorie number of 1,350 which seems to be doing a good job of keeping me at 135 but not at 145/140. This was actually too low when I hit my first goal of 145, and I continued to lose.

Now the numbers to maintain at 135 are the numbers I thought to use in the above thread; 900 DDs and 1,800 DD, sometimes it's 800 DD and 1,900 UD but it's working well for me at 135. And again, these numbers were too low at 145/140 to maintain.

I read somewhere that if you want to maintain your weight, like mine at 135, you need to add a zero to the end and that is how many calories you should have a day. 135 with a zero added on the end = 1,300 calories a day.

Since we do the JUDDD calorie rotation I just divided it up the way it seemed right giving me that "magic" JUDDD gap for optimum health benefits.

HTH

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.

Last edited by Beeb; 11-13-2011 at 03:27 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #9

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
I must have missed that Julie...Juddd is just so busy at the mo!

You said When it's time to maintain, the two numbers should average out to be your maintenance calories if you had eaten the same everyday.

This is just what I was thinking...I am going to try and work out what mine should be.

Beeb and sohappy...and any other maintainers...what do you think?

hugs
Jo
x
Well...

This is just another little place where I disagree a little bit from Dr. J. and deviate some from his automated calculator, which I've always sort of questioned a bit anyway.

Rather than bring my DD calories up to the levels he advocates, I merely lifted each a bit to get to where I was OK, but did most of the lifting on my UD calories.

I still felt it was more beneficial to me to not bring my DD calories up too much. Most folks want to. I preferred to lift my UDs quite a bit higher and retain a lower ceiling on my DDs. I still wanted to continue a bit more of that pounding up and down against the two calorie ceilings.

It wasn't likely that I would ever attain the faster metabolism I'd enjoyed in previous decades, in my 40s and even 50s, so for myself, I thought I'd benefit a great deal more from keeping the spread a little wider.

So I may hold DDs to 500 up to maybe 700 these days, and UDs can almost go over the moon sometimes. If I have an UD that is as low as 2200, that's pretty low for an UD.

I think you have to know, also.. how do you like to eat? On UDs, I like meals of lavish calories sometimes. Like, I don't mention too often a late Sunday breakfast of 2 eggs over easy in butter, 2 nice sausage patties, 4 slices of toast, each dripping with melty butter, spread with black currant jam, a glass of orange juice, and a couple of mugs of coffee with half & half. That can add up to an awful lot of calories for a gal my age. Nearly 1000.

I tend to like some awfully calorie-laden restaurant meals and desserts too. And, well...

I'm just saying, I would prefer to have a huge UD calorie allowance if I want it sometimes, and am very willing - still - to keep my DDs lower in exchange.

So where one person might want to have UDs of 2200 and DDs of 1200 because it fits their life better, I'd choose to have that same 3400 calories as maybe 2700 and 700.

And the other thing is this: I have no idea what to make of his weird calculator. It doesn't make sense to me either.

Last edited by SoHappy; 11-13-2011 at 03:36 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
I read somewhere that if you want to maintain your weight, like mine at 135, you need to add a zero to the end and that is how many calories you should have a day.

HTH
Livestrong gives me 1483 to maintain a weight of 112 (calories for sedentary). ************ gives me 1430 to maintain (also sedentary for good measure).

I have to admit I hope the method of tagging on a 0 isn't true! An average of 1120 calories would be sad! I know mine will be higher than that because my average since I started Oct 26 was 1150 and I lost 5.6 pounds. I'm cautiously trying to up my average of UD/DD #s to 1200 to see if I maintain, gain, or lose. It's kind of a fun game figuring out the numbers
Old 11-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #11

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I know nothing about JUDDD per se, but my take on it is that the JUDDD figures are probably more realistic for people who have weight problems and therefore more difficult metabolisms. I have always found the charts or calculators on "mainstream" sites give me laughably high numbers: I can't eat half what they say I "should" be able to without gaining. The fact is, these things are just approximations. You have to figure for yourself what your body's limits are, no matter what plan you follow.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:18 AM   #12

Quote:
Precisely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I still felt it was more beneficial to me to not bring my DD calories up too much. Most folks want to. I preferred to lift my UDs quite a bit higher and retain a lower ceiling on my DDs. I still wanted to continue a bit more of that pounding up and down against the two calorie ceilings.

It wasn't likely that I would ever attain the faster metabolism I'd enjoyed in previous decades, in my 40s and even 50s, so for myself, I thought I'd benefit a great deal more from keeping the spread a little wider.

So I may hold DDs to 500 up to maybe 700 these days, and UDs can almost go over the moon sometimes. If I have an UD that is as low as 2200, that's pretty low for an UD.

I'm just saying, I would prefer to have a huge UD calorie allowance if I want it sometimes, and am very willing - still - to keep my DDs lower in exchange.
This is exactly the way I feel Pat, I have no worries with low DDs I want to enjoy the freedom to eat cream and butter etc on my UDs.

Quote:

I hope the method of tagging on a 0 isn't true!
Oh boy so do I!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
I don't like that the JUDDD calculator raises your DD #, and UD # stays the same.

I intend to keep my DD around 500 (less if I can, a little more is OK) but raise my UD calories.

I'm not sure how much to raise them. No more than 1800-1900 to start. Of course, I aim to have some FD now and then
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #14

Seems as if this will be an important thread for us during the next few weeks.

I definitely think the lower DDs and even more indulgent UDs is the route too.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Calorie calculators gave me a bit under 1600 cals to maintain. I know if these are LC that I can eat more.

But, I came to JUDDD to resolve health issues so try to keep DD low and on UD's eat what I can w higher fat, carbs, etc. I don't count since after lifelong nutritional studies, I know what's in the food I eat.

I've been doing this for about 2 weeks and have lost a couple #. I am waiting to see if it becomes stable.
I am not concerned but have no desire to look skeletal.

My last UD was a work day so crazy; McD's eggs and sausage. Wendy's large chili, Cheese and tomato sandwich for dinner and a prebed glass of whole milk w molassas stirred in.....and let's not forget the tall whole milk latte in the morning.

I was not hungry after the chili but for UD's sake ate anyway.

So it looks likes, after I've reached my health goals that my DD will be about 1k. I still want the DD so if I continue to lose will play w the UD.
I just need to improve my digestion to do that.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #16
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Livestrong gives me 1483 to maintain a weight of 112 (calories for sedentary). ************ gives me 1430 to maintain (also sedentary for good measure).

I have to admit I hope the method of tagging on a 0 isn't true! An average of 1120 calories would be sad! I know mine will be higher than that because my average since I started Oct 26 was 1150 and I lost 5.6 pounds. I'm cautiously trying to up my average of UD/DD #s to 1200 to see if I maintain, gain, or lose. It's kind of a fun game figuring out the numbers
OMG, I never thought of this^^^^ Yes, that would be a terrible number to have to maintain everyday! Guess we all should disregard that little 0 at the end advice!

I'm staying right at 135, and up a little on UDs to 136 or below and this is using 800/900 for my DDs and 1,800/1900 for UDs and it working great, it seems. Going to stick to these numbers and see what happens.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote