Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
What if you're not hungry enough on UD?

OK, I know this sounds awful, especially to those on a tummy-growly DD today, and I can't believe I'm saying this because I haven't had any trouble filling my UD calories before, but now something is going on with that ability. What do you do if you're not hungry on UD?

I am under 800 calories and supposed to be up to at least 1700. It's going on 7 p.m.

I think a couple big things are at play here.

1) I'm more attuned to real hunger because of DD now, and have learned not to let a little discomfort of feeling hungry make me immediately jump to the fridge. Today I've been going 4 hours between meals. At that point, my blood sugar has dropped (I checked) and I really feel the need to eat.

2) Speaking of blood sugar, now that I'm monitoring mine, I have this little fear about eating between meals. Some of my numbers seem a little high to me 2 hours after eating (though I haven't caught anything above 117 yet, and they do go on down in a little more time). But I now don't want to put my body through a constant or frequent insulin release by grazing or eating frequent meals. I guess you could say I'm just more aware and am trying to eat "square meals" rather than a little here, little there. And I'm not hungry between the meals, so it's not like I'm putting myself through suffering.

It's good that I'm monitoring my BSugar, but now is it making me paranoid about eating as much as I used to, or drinking certain things between meals?

So, now what do I do if I don't make my UD calories? I assume it's OK once in a while, but what if it consistently happens? I don't want to mess up my metabolism but I don't want to force myself to eat either (those who've had the appetite suppression of LC know what that would be like to eat if not hungry - blech.)

I will let the rest of this day play out and see what happens. In the meantime, if anyone has any input, I thank you!
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

omg I just caught my BS at 136 2 hours after my last meal!!!

It was a cobb/pasta salad (I sometimes combine some pasta with a cobb salad and lettuce) and a large slice of cherry pie with a cup of regular coffee.

I almost had a panic attack. Bare with me guys, I'm new to this BS checking and it's doing something to me mentally. I guess I shoulda been doing this for years, but better to start now than never. Not knowing can't be bliss in this situation.

Edited to add: BS is coming down now, whew! Had me skeered for a while. I'm just going to have to keep testing and trying different foods and things and see what happens.

Last edited by sophiethecat; 11-12-2011 at 04:31 PM..
Old 11-12-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
OK, I know this sounds awful, especially to those on a tummy-growly DD today, and I can't believe I'm saying this because I haven't had any trouble filling my UD calories before, but now something is going on with that ability. What do you do if you're not hungry on UD?

I am under 800 calories and supposed to be up to at least 1700. It's going on 7 p.m.

I think a couple big things are at play here.

1) I'm more attuned to real hunger because of DD now, and have learned not to let a little discomfort of feeling hungry make me immediately jump to the fridge. Today I've been going 4 hours between meals. At that point, my blood sugar has dropped (I checked) and I really feel the need to eat.

2) Speaking of blood sugar, now that I'm monitoring mine, I have this little fear about eating between meals. Some of my numbers seem a little high to me 2 hours after eating (though I haven't caught anything above 117 yet, and they do go on down in a little more time). But I now don't want to put my body through a constant or frequent insulin release by grazing or eating frequent meals. I guess you could say I'm just more aware and am trying to eat "square meals" rather than a little here, little there. And I'm not hungry between the meals, so it's not like I'm putting myself through suffering.

It's good that I'm monitoring my BSugar, but now is it making me paranoid about eating as much as I used to, or drinking certain things between meals?

So, now what do I do if I don't make my UD calories? I assume it's OK once in a while, but what if it consistently happens? I don't want to mess up my metabolism but I don't want to force myself to eat either (those who've had the appetite suppression of LC know what that would be like to eat if not hungry - blech.)

I will let the rest of this day play out and see what happens. In the meantime, if anyone has any input, I thank you!
First of all, I don't know what time zone you live in, but here in Central, it's only 5:45, so I wouldn't leap to the conclusion that you won't be hungry before the evening is over. Sometimes appetite wakes up and nudges us at the weirdest times.. not exactly right on schedule some times.

Secondly, if you are truly not hungry, it isn't a law that you have to eat your UD calories every single day, or else. The nice thing about eating high is that there is apparently some way your brain is aware of the calories you consume.. so knows when to slow down your metabolism in times of famine. And the reverse is true, that your brain is signaled when you are eating well, and metabolism can be lifted again. But going low occasionally isn't going to all of a sudden cause you to go down in flames.

The only real reason I'd hope to keep my metabolism revved up while I was a younger woman is because it's almost bound to slow due to aging as the years go by. Start high if you can!

But this isn't forced labor. If you just don't feel like eating, don't feel THAT compelled.

Last edited by SoHappy; 11-12-2011 at 03:52 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
First of all, I don't know what time zone you live in, but here in Central, it's only 5:45, so I wouldn't leap to the conclusion that you won't be hungry before the evening is over. Sometimes appetite wakes up and nudges us at the weirdest times.. not exactly right on schedule some times.

Secondly, if you are truly not hungry, it isn't a law that you have to eat your UD calories every single day, or else. The nice thing about eating high is that there is apparently some way your brain is aware of the calories you consume.. so knows when to slow down your metabolism in times of famine. And the reverse is true, that your brain is signaled when you are eating well, and metabolism can be lifted again. But going low occasionally isn't going to all of a sudden cause you to go down in flames.

The only real reason I'd hope to keep my metabolism revved up while I was a younger woman is because it's almost bound to slow due to aging as the years go by. Start high if you can!

But this isn't forced labor. If you just don't feel like eating, don't feel THAT compelled.
Thank you, Pat I do feel a little better about it. And I doubt it's a permanent thing. Knowing me, I'll be back to being a big eater on my next UD and longing for MORE calories to eat

I think this BS thing has me shook up and I don't know what/when to eat now.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

OK, no worries on having a "low calorie UD" I had a slice of pizza and apparently that is 300 calories on it's own! Add some wine, and then if I have another something or other before bed, I'm good on my UD calories
Old 11-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
OK, no worries on having a "low calorie UD" I had a slice of pizza and apparently that is 300 calories on it's own! Add some wine, and then if I have another something or other before bed, I'm good on my UD calories
It's remarkable, isn't it! This is how it goes for me a lot of the time too. Especially on my DDs. I'll be thinking, *WOW.. I'm going to have an amazingly low DD today*, and then before the evening is out, I'm working to keep a lid on it!

SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: Low Carb ala JUDDD
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
I see you are on Metformin. Is that for diabetes or PCOS? I know Dr J said that this is not always the best diet for people with diabetes, but think he was referring to Type 1 not 2. You might have to have your meds adjusted with the weight you have lost. I AM NOT A MEDICAL PERSON....this is just an idea from what I have read in the past.

You have done so well with the WOE that I know you don't want to change anything.
Seabreezes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Sorry, but my belief and experience is "YOU GOTTA EAT"!

JUDDD is a science and as such needs to be worked as a science formula would be worked.

I'm sure one day or a couple days of not eating up to those calories may not do harm, but if it becomes a constant thing I would think it would be a trouble because then it really wouldn't be the JUDDD science formula that keeps our metabolism working at it's best and giving us the health benefits that is does when worked as formulated. It would just be a calorie restricted diet everyday and that is not JUDDD.

JHMO

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 11-13-2011 at 10:30 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: traceym1
I Can see me having this problem as I am not a morning eater as before beginning JUDD I started Fast-5. Since beginning JUDD though, I have lost 6 lbs. and that is without restricting food items. It feels great and such stress relief. I also like to workout in a fasted state and maybe because I work nights and don't get to bed until somtimes 1 am, I just don't crave food in the early hours. I am also not a grazer. What I have been doing to get calories is eating more calorie rich foods and I have to admit they are very satisfying. ''
Tracey
traceym1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Ok, first off breath. 140bs after cherry pie isn't so bad I'm thinking! LOL. Although 2 hours after eating it, your blood sugar should be back to pre-diabetic/normal window. It would kinda depend on if you ate it on a full tummy eaten with lots of fat. Pastry is pretty fatty, so it could contribute to delayed gastric emptying.

So far, I would say, not much to worry about except you prolly shouldn't be eating cherry pie or that big of a piece of pie or eating it at the same meal as pasta.

But in general, it is better to eat at 4-6 hour intervals instead of snacking all the time. So you are on the right track (or so Dr. Bernstein says). I try not to eat between meals.

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote