Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Need Advice: Should I Have a MD?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/745114-need-advice-should-i-have-md.html)

muffin_maiden 11-11-2011 09:26 AM

Need Advice: Should I Have a MD??

Feel free to tell me no. :P

I'm just wondering if I should make today a medium day, because tomorrow I have a long 6 hour hike with my forestry class. We are meeting at 9am and won't be back until 5pm or so. I don't know how or when I'll be able to eat tomorrow on the hike. Probably no more than a sandwich or something. Today was supposed to be a DD, making tomorrow an UD. Just worried that if I keep a DD today and can't get in a good breakfast before leaving tomorrow that I won't be properly fueled for the hike.

Any advice??

Beeb 11-11-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin_maiden (Post 15167565)
Feel free to tell me no. :P

I'm just wondering if I should make today a medium day, because tomorrow I have a long 6 hour hike with my forestry class. We are meeting at 9am and won't be back until 5pm or so. I don't know how or when I'll be able to eat tomorrow on the hike. Probably no more than a sandwich or something. Today was supposed to be a DD, making tomorrow an UD. Just worried that if I keep a DD today and can't get in a good breakfast before leaving tomorrow that I won't be properly fueled for the hike.

Any advice??

I would make today an UD since you will be using LOTS of energy tomorrow on your hike and won't be able to replenish that energy with lots of food until Sunday, which if you make today an UD and tomorrow a DD, then Sunday will be another UD and you can eat to replenish.

HTH :hugs:

piratejenny 11-11-2011 09:52 AM

Yes, having an UD today sounds like a good idea, if you are hiking for six hours tomorrow OMG!!!
Or, at least have a good UD dinner tonight (DD breakfast & lunch).

Even if you have another UD tomorrow, you will have burned so many calories, I think it will even out to a DD anyway! :)

muffin_maiden 11-11-2011 09:54 AM

Here's an overview of the hike: Ice Caves and Verkeerderkill Falls | New York-New Jersey Trail Conference

Moderate to strenuous and 7.4 miles round trip!! Yeah, thinking about making today and tomorrow up days, honestly! Eating up today to make sure I'm not starving partway through the hike tomorrow and another up day tomorrow to fuel myself as we go.

Joedi 11-11-2011 09:59 AM

over the last few days I have had quite high carbs on my UD...about 100..and found that my hunger is so much lower the following DD.
Wish I was coming on the hike...I love walking...have fun!

hugs
Jo
x

piratejenny 11-11-2011 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin_maiden (Post 15167639)
Moderate to strenuous and 7.4 miles round trip!! Yeah, thinking about making today and tomorrow up days, honestly!

Eating up today to make sure I'm not starving partway through the hike tomorrow and another up day tomorrow to fuel myself as we go.

Personally I don't like to eat much during exercise or hard work...
I feel like throwing up if I have food in my stomach and have to climb or bend a lot.
Maybe eating solid foods won't be a problem for you,
but I think I would bring some protein shakes and even lightly-sweetened drinks or juicy fruit like oranges/pineapple/kiwi to fuel during the hike,
then have an awesome dinner afterwards!!! :yummy:

muffin_maiden 11-11-2011 10:57 AM

I'm hereby taking this extra up day as an opportunity to help my son finish off his Halloween candy. Stuff is waaaay too tempting on down days!!

piratejenny 11-11-2011 11:24 AM

hahahahaha!!!
that's one way to get that stuff out of the house!!! :D

tiva 11-11-2011 11:55 AM

Why not simply bring cheese, nuts, protein bars, and other food for your hike? 7.4 miles is not a long hike, especially over 6 hours, and you won't burn all that many extra calories. Have fun--I'm a forestry professor and leading these field trips is always a lot of fun.

And yes, you'll have plenty of time to eat snacks etc on the hike.

SoHappy 11-11-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiva (Post 15167970)
Why not simply bring cheese, nuts, protein bars, and other food for your hike? 7.4 miles is not a long hike, especially over 6 hours, and you won't burn all that many extra calories. Have fun--I'm a forestry professor and leading these field trips is always a lot of fun.

And yes, you'll have plenty of time to eat snacks etc on the hike.

This is what I had thought too, so glad to see this.

I'd just do my JUDDD as always. You said today is a DD, so I'd make it a good DD. I'd not go to bed this evening without having breakfast planned and sitting on my counter, ready to go in the morning, and I'd have lots of easy-to-carry foods sitting there on my counter too, all ready to carry with me on the hike.

Truly, if you have that many hours to hike in, covering 7.4 miles, even a lot of climbing miles, isn't going to be all that tough. Really. Just stuff your pockets, bum bag, backpack, or even a bread bag tied to a belt loop... in other words, just take some food with you and let it go at that.

Sounds like you'll all be back for suppertime, and you can enjoy a nice meal then, relax, maybe have a drink, and make it a nice end to a fun day.