Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ccrickett
Stats: 249(HW)199/134/145
WOE: LCtweaks/JUDDD
Start Date: '80's/90's/2000's/Nov 2010
Does anyone take the Resveratrol & does it make a difference?

I wondered if the Resveratrol supplement featured on the Juddd site was something I should be ordering.
ccrickett is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
You know, I've never known of anyone who took that stuff.

There was a big hoopla about it for a few years, several years ago, and lately that seems to have been sort of negated as being anything that does all that much after all. It would have been nice to have this be the *magic potion* or *fountain of youth* but alas, current length-of-life studies have now gone beyond that, finding that it didn't do anything really. Sorry.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #3

Thought I'd add this little blurb from one of the studies re: resveratrol...

In particular, resveratrol, a natural compound found in red grapes that lengthens the lives of yeast and worms, has attracted intense scientific scrutiny and media coverage as a SIRT-activating compound that might mimic caloric restriction. However, recent studies have questioned the importance of the Sir2 pathway in caloric restriction, and trials of resveratrol in mice have been disappointing. "So far, feeding resveratrol to mice doesn't increase life span, and overexpressing SIRT1 doesn't increase life span," Kaeberlein says. "Resveratrol may mimic some aspects of caloric restriction, but thus far it hasn't given the phenotype that is probably most important from an aging perspective, and that is the actual slowing of aging."
Old 11-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
lol so have a glass of wine (on UP days) and pop a vitamin C tablet for the same effect?
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
lol so have a glass of wine (on UP days) and pop a vitamin C tablet for the same effect?
Way-y-y-y-y more fun!
Old 11-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks ladies, I'll raise a glass to you on my next UD.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
*raises glass* To your health, Crickett!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:18 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Come to think of it, the last two times I lost weight I was taking resveratrol supplements. Come to think of it, the stall I am in now began about the time I ran out of pills. I think it is time to get a refill and see if that breaks the stall.

I will say, although I almost always feel good and energetic, I have the impression I feel even good-er when I take resveratrol.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:43 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I will say, although I almost always feel good and energetic, I have the impression I feel even good-er when I take resveratrol.
That's great to hear! Be sure to tell us if your weight loss picks back up when you resume your supplements! Inquiring minds (aka this slow loser) would like to know!
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Come to think of it, the last two times I lost weight I was taking resveratrol supplements. Come to think of it, the stall I am in now began about the time I ran out of pills. I think it is time to get a refill and see if that breaks the stall.

That's very interesting. I've never heard of resveratrol being used for the purpose of weight loss or that it had any particular influence on weight loss.

Let us know how it goes if you try this supplement in your diet again.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #11
Administrator

Yes please let us know! I've wasted so much $$ on supplements that do nothing!
Old 11-12-2011, 03:53 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey folks!

In lab tests, Resverastrol actives the SiRT1 enzyme in mice. Which, I think, is what happens to you on DD, and what happens during intermittent fasting. In mice this is associated with all health benefits you see. The assumption is, if it works in mice it probably works in people. I did find a study in 2010 that used humans taking 20 mg/day and saw major health benefits. The assumption was it would take higher doses than used in the study to impact weight.

Which would explain why Dr Johnson believes in it - it could be a help to someone starting out and just might be what it takes to push someone off a plateau. For that matter, it might be useful as part of a day-to-day WOE.

Anyway, I got some more yesterday. Had a pill with dinner last night. (lol - approx 500 mg of Res, which I calculate in my math challenged head is the equivalent of drinking 1000 glasses of red wine - without the slight drawbacks associated with - giggle - drinking 1000 glasses of red wine in an evening - skoal!). I will keep taking it for a few days and let you know if my current plateau ends.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:23 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandelio
Stats: 199/184/160
WOE: JUDDD
I would also like to know your results, because I ALSO already have a whole cabinet of supplements that I never use - LOL!
Sandelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Hey folks!

In lab tests, Resverastrol actives the SiRT1 enzyme in mice. Which, I think, is what happens to you on DD, and what happens during intermittent fasting. In mice this is associated with all health benefits you see. The assumption is, if it works in mice it probably works in people. I did find a study in 2010 that used humans taking 20 mg/day and saw major health benefits. The assumption was it would take higher doses than used in the study to impact weight.

Which would explain why Dr Johnson believes in it - it could be a help to someone starting out and just might be what it takes to push someone off a plateau. For that matter, it might be useful as part of a day-to-day WOE.

Anyway, I got some more yesterday. Had a pill with dinner last night. (lol - approx 500 mg of Res, which I calculate in my math challenged head is the equivalent of drinking 1000 glasses of red wine - without the slight drawbacks associated with - giggle - drinking 1000 glasses of red wine in an evening - skoal!). I will keep taking it for a few days and let you know if my current plateau ends.
If you are doing JUDDD, I would certainly expect your current plateau to end! JUDDD has been ending the plateau stalls of lots of folks around here! It's almost like magic! So if you are doing JUDDD, I expect your plateau to end, with or without Resverastrol. I think you will be very happy, very shortly!

The problem is that I haven't been reading any studies in these last few years that support Resverastrol much anymore. I never have read studies that proposed it was any help for weight loss. I'd really be interested in reading any studies you know of that support it from that standpoint. (I mean beyond Dr. Johnson's advertisement for it in his book...)

What I've been seeing in the more recent reports is that more extensive studies these days are showing us that it is far more than just the SIRT1 gene needing to be activated to help with metabolism and weight loss. And length-of-life too, which are actually the foundation studies leading to all of this in the first place.

They initially zeroed in on SIRT1, then found the profound influence of SIRT2, SIRT3, and SIRT4 as well to increase the activity of the mitochondria. Now they're zeroing in on a whole lot more...

"..........the TOR pathway has captured much of the limelight in recent years, other biochemical pathways such as the insulin/insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1), AMP kinase, and Sir2 pathways likely play supporting parts, at least under some conditions. The conclusion that people are coming to is that all of these signaling pathways that respond to growth factors and nutrients are talking to each other," Kaeberlein says. "I think a very appealing hypothesis is that TOR coordinates several of the responses that go along with caloric restriction, including turning down protein synthesis and modulating the response to glucose and the insulin pathway.........."

Your information from Dr. Johnson's book is perhaps not thought to be all of the story these days, and Resverastrol used to be highly touted as the newest and latest thing to take, but the reason it fell by the wayside is that it really wasn't the miracle or the whole miracle afterall. But taking Resverastrol is certainly not going to hurt you. It's just that following JUDDD without Resverastrol seems to give exactly the same results.

You can be our experiment leader here and report back to us! Good luck! And in the meantime, if you are doing JUDDD I expect your weight loss will start in! Woo Hoo!

Last edited by SoHappy; 11-12-2011 at 05:16 AM..
Old 11-12-2011, 06:43 AM   #15
Administrator

Is resveratrol a brand name? Is 'red wine extract' the same thing? I've seen both and been curious
Old 11-12-2011, 06:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Is resveratrol a brand name? Is 'red wine extract' the same thing? I've seen both and been curious
Resveratrol is the chemical. eResveratrol is apparently the brand name Dr. Johnson chose for the product he is selling. Sometimes we seem to see it spelled with an s in there too.

The thing about it for me is the studies that originally got us all excited about this were done many, many years ago.. half a decade and a decade.. and the newer studies aren't really showing us anything really happening from taking this stuff after all. It would have been so nice if this had turned out to be a *magic pill*.

But, the really good news is that the studies in CALORIE RESTRICTION are showing more and more the value to overall health and even length of life, so getting lean is beginning to look more and more important to overall good health in our later years.

Like is always pointed out, when you see the very, very elderly who are still living, and even still in good health... the obese people aren't among them anymore. A good little point for us to keep in mind as we work to get slim!
Old 11-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hey folks!

Thanks gotsomeold, You're our official guinea..... er I mean our study subject. Looking forward to your report.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:13 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am honored to be crowned guinea pig du jour!

SoHappy, I truly do not mean to suggest I think Res-however-you-spell-it magically causes weight loss. I don't.

Five years ago there were a lot of articles - I remember one that happily announced take one Res pill and one Acaia pill a day and lose 10 pounds a week - whoo hooo! I investigated and decided Res sounded like a really good antioxidant so I started taking it intermittently. My family has seen antioxidants appear to do some amazing things health-wise (my father's Parkinsons has been in remission 22 years and only creeps back when he forgets to take his supplements) so we tend to take the pills.

I will try to find and post the 2010 studies that appeared to be set up in a reasonably valid way and addressed Res health benefits (and commented on potential ancillary weight loss impacts).

In a few days, I'll let you know what is happening now that I have started taking Res again.

And, I am not JUDDD but I feel it coming. I like the health benefits of DD. And I have carefully read the discussions here by former carb-addicts who find, on JUDDD, carbs don't trigger binges. That was a serious concern for me. Plus, I really like that JUDDD has a built-in, practical, healthy maintenance plan. I ordered the book.....and yesterday I realized I was figuring the UD/DD pattern that lets me participate in the family Thanksgiving feast (also my birthday). Heck, with all those reasons, obviously I am joining JUDDD.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:41 AM   #19

I think you'll be really happy on JUDDD. Pretty easy way to lose weight, and you can usually pretty much count on it happening. And you're right.. folks seem to be able to manage most of their eating foibles and compulsions with this plan, if not immediately then as they continue on the plan, and JUDDD forgives their occasional deviations from the plan anyway, so it's all good.

You are now our official Resveratrol guinea pig. Welcome! (And I would welcome current studies on this. I've read a lot of the length-of-life studies / calorie restriction studies for many years now and find them fascinating. The CROM folks fascinate me too.)

I was a guinea pig once for testing 2 Down Days / 2 Up Days as a cycling alteration (not much difference in weight management, but overall more unpleasant than the basic cycle)

and we've got a couple of folks who are JUDDD-ish by way of Weight Watcher points, being the guinea pigs for that choice. Some general calorie cycling ....

Old 11-14-2011, 03:31 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
I have been having second thoughts about the whole suplements issue. This may be a
case of where more is not better. First there was a big study where half of the people
took 1000mg of C and 400mg of E the other half didn't take them. Then after an exercise
program I think it took 8 weeks there was a reduction in insulin resistance in the people
who DID NOT take the E and C. But the ones that did take E and C did not show a reduction in there insulin resistance. The researchers speculate that a big rise in these
"bad" free radicals may trigger the changes to make them less insulin resistant.

With regard to resveratrol I believe I read one study that in humans those taking large
doses 100mg or more instead of showing health benifits they may be a slightly higher risk
of early death as has also been found in people taking vitamin A and E .

Vitamin pills 'increase risk of early death' - Telegraph

Here is another article about thyroid health and excesse flavonoids the antioxidents found in some foods,tea and coffee. It may be like salt you can't live without some salt
but to much is bad for you. I am just wondering if my verry heavy decaf. coffee habit
may be causing me some trouble after all. Coffee is verry high in flavonoids I believe it
has about twice as much as tea which is rather high also.

Flavonoids and thyroid disease. [Biofactors. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Guinea Pig Update

Okay, two days on 500 mg Res/day eating my normal efgt food. One pound down each day. Which does not mean anything because these are two of the three pounds I have lost and regained over and over for a month.

Bad news friends, I may be losing my GP status. Yesterday I reviewed the reasons I was spending so much time on this thread and decided to shift to doing JUDDD low carb. I meant to wait until I read the book. But, this morning I woke up thinking, if today is a DD I can have roasted zucchini tomorrow! The temptation was too great - I, so to speak, launched. (And took my Res pill this morning.)

On the potential dangers of supplements. I am in total agreement they can be a disastrous mistake. Just as some of us can eat potatoes every day and lose weight, others of us can eat potatoes and end up in a binge. It really comes down to individual metabolisms.

Throw in supplements and things get really complicated. Unless a person is willing to do the research and treat taking the supplement as a test, I think it is a mistake to just grab a bottle of pills because they sound good.

I'm a smoker. And I know lots of research has shown, in many cases, smoking + beta carotene = lung cancer. So, until I stop smoking, I watch for beta carotene in everything I eat and every pill I take.

I'm searching for the 2010 Resveratrol human research I found on a different computer in a different state a few days ago. It was a link through a link...dang it, it has to be somewhere (I know I didn't hallucinate it - my hallucinations are always more interesting).
Old 11-15-2011, 04:49 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Guinea Pig Update

Okay, day three on 500 mg Res, and my first DD. I had 725 calories yesterday (planning to take the very good advice I have found on various postings and wean myself down a bit each DD). By mid-afternoon I was in ketosis (no strips, but I have spent enough time at the circus to know what that metallic mouth and stinky urine mean) even though I ate a lot, lot, lot of veggies.

Yesterday morning I was 166.2. Today I was 164.4 - a new low that breaks the stall.

So, experienced JUDDDers, is almost two pounds on the first DD normal or could Res be helping? I suspect it is normal. But I am curious.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 11-15-2011 at 04:50 AM..
Old 11-15-2011, 06:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Okay, day three on 500 mg Res, and my first DD. I had 725 calories yesterday (planning to take the very good advice I have found on various postings and wean myself down a bit each DD). By mid-afternoon I was in ketosis (no strips, but I have spent enough time at the circus to know what that metallic mouth and stinky urine mean) even though I ate a lot, lot, lot of veggies.

Yesterday morning I was 166.2. Today I was 164.4 - a new low that breaks the stall.

So, experienced JUDDDers, is almost two pounds on the first DD normal or could Res be helping? I suspect it is normal. But I am curious.
That's the question, isn't it. Yes, losing two pounds and even more is completely normal after the first DD. And not losing anything is completely normal after the first DD.

Since weight loss is not simply the direct and exact reflection of what you ate or didn't eat in the precise previous 24 hours, it's a great deal more difficult to track than just what a scale reads on the morning after whatever you ate and drank earlier. There might be a strong correlation. Or not.

Much of the time on JUDDD, we can be gaining water weight at the same time we are losing body fat, and the scale may even show a gain while the tape measure is showing we've lost an inch around the waist. Go figure...
Old 11-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Hi gotsomeold:

I'm reading your "resveretrol guinea pig" reports with great interest.

You lost 2 lbs on your first DD, I lost .5 of a lb on my first DD. So far, you and resveretrol are way ahead of me on weight loss & I wonder if there are also health benefits to be had. I plan to do some more research & hope you will post links to any you happen across. KUTGW
Old 03-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: chelsearose
Stats: 159/154/Whatever gets me in a 6-8
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 5, 2012
Not sure if this info helps, but my husband has faithfully take resveratrol twice a day for over a year and it hasn't made a dent in the extra 20 pounds he's lugging around. He's taken it for longevity, which I think is crazy as his father--whom DH looks exactly like, except my FIL is trim--is 93, looks 75--no glasses, no hearing aid--and doesn't even take supplements of any kind.
But I think I've stayed married for 49 years because I've learned how to pick my battles.
If JUDDD works long range for me--and I think it will--I'll try to get DH on board. AndI'll keep watching the medical lit for info in resveratrol.
For now I'll concentrate on "managing my own rice bowl" as an Asian friend of mine says.
chelsearose is offline   Reply With Quote