Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sandelio
Stats: 199/184/160
WOE: JUDDD
Let's discuss "MD" days....

Okay - so I'm seeing varying opinions of MD's or "inbetween days" - meaning days you restrict, but not quite as severely as DDs.

>Some people use them REGULARLY each week in order to make having DD's on Monday, Wednesday and Friday - and use a MD and an UD for Saturday and Sunday.

>Others use them ONLY to juggle a week around to make an UD fall where needed for holidays and special occasions.

>Others still NEVER do anything other than alternating UDs and DDs.

Where do YOU fall in this spectrum, and what have your successes been?

(This is NOT to say one is right and another is wrong - just trying to get a feel for what's most successful - thanks!)

Sandy

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sissiesue
Stats: 173/129/129
Start Date: September 27, 2010
I use MDs to keep a consistent Saturday up day. To get my calories, I add my DD numbers and my UD numbers and divide by 2. It ends up somewhere around 1,100 calories for a MD.

I haven't been JUDDDing long enough to really report on the effects of using MDs instead of the typical UD/DD rotation.
Sissiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori-s
Stats: 176.8/148.9/150 - 5'10"
Sorry
i can't help as I'm just doing straight UD/ DD rotation but, think I might throw in a MD between Thanksgiving and Christmas so that I get Christmas and New Year's Eve as UDs. Haven't decided that yet.
Lori-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
I answered in another post, but I'll put this here too.

Somehow it's worked out for me to stick to a basic UD/DD rotation.

I may utilize a MD here and there if needed, but since I am pretty much where I want to be weigh-wise, I'm more likely to do 2 UD in a row if I need to rather than use a MD.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
For myself, I stick to a straight rotation between UDs and DDs, unless I have reason to want to alter that cycle for an upcoming event, in which case I'll insert a MD into the mix.

For myself, I just try to keep as much of a spread between the calorie numbers of the days as I possibly can. So just using 2000 calories for UDs and 500 calories for DDs, with a straight rotation, the first week will have 4 UDs and 3 DDs for a total of 9500 calories. And the following week will consist of 4 DDs and only 3 UDs, for a total of only 8000 calories. So my cycling continues with the weeks as well, and keeps all the days continuing the big calorie spread as much as possible.

If I hold my weeks to 3 UDs and 3 DDs and 1 MD each week, they all contain that one day where there isn't much calorie spread from the day before and also not much spread from the day coming. Every week averages out the same.

Now, this being said, I doubt there is any particular *big deal* about it. It's easy for me to do this routine without having many MDs since I'm retired and can pretty much arrange my days and my schedules to be on whatever days I choose. If I had a need or strong desire to have certain days of the week always be Up or Down days, I'd not hesitate to make use of a weekly MD in order to make that happen.

I keep the largest spread I can between calories every day and week just because I think it may give me a very slight advantage and edge, but I'm not so absolute on that schedule that I'd kill for it.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
My opinion? MDs should only be used for special occasions or to "adjust" your UD/DD schedule for holidays/celebrations/etc.

To throw a MD in there every week just "because" was not what was intended by Dr. J.

I have had 1 MD since starting JUDDD on Aug 1 and THAT was to adjust for Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve.

I just think it should be done as written with it's simplicity and "magic". I would also be afraid that a MD every week would become another UD for me and this would not keep me at my wonderful goal weight that I made today of 135!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 11-10-2011 at 01:45 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
My opinion? MDs should only be used for special occasions or to "adjust" your UD/DD schedule for holidays/celebrations/etc.

To throw a MD in there every week just "because" was not what was intended by Dr. J.

I have had 1 MD since starting JUDDD on Aug 1 and THAT was to adjust for Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve.

I just think it should be done as written with it's simplicity and "magic". I would also be afraid that a MD every week would become another UD for me and this would not keep me at my wonderful goal weight that I made today of 135!!
Hey, congrats! Woo Hoo! You just keep shrinking! I'm sure happy for you and proud of how well you've done. Have you been having to buy any new clothes yet?
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Hey, congrats! Woo Hoo! You just keep shrinking! I'm sure happy for you and proud of how well you've done. Have you been having to buy any new clothes yet?
Thanks Pat!!! And I did this all doing JUDDD just as suggested with only 1 tweak and that was upping my DD calories by 200 (actually using the 40% weight loss and maintenance formula which gave me that number) from the start. It DOES work if done as suggested, and I'm proof!! 16.5 pounds since Aug 1, and with only one minor tweak!

And yes, I just bought a whole bunch of winter sweater, all size SMALLS!! Pants are next, I still have some I can wear!
Old 11-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

"To throw a MD in there every week just "because" was not what was intended by Dr. J."

I'm not trying to argue, but I'm completely lost.

My book says, Mr. Dr. J's words exactly:

"Another strategy would be to make Sunday an "in-between" day, meaning that you still restrict to some extent but eat more that you would on a regular down day. Some Alternate-Day dieters have found that this works for them, while others have found that calculating in-between-day calories just adds to their stress and, therefore, becomes counterproductive."

Again - I don't KNOW if it's a good idea or not - I'm new. But I'm beginning to feel like I bought the wrong book when statements like "that's not in the plan" and "that wasn't his intention" are made.

The book I downloaded is "The Alternate Day Diet" by James B. Johnson M.D., copyright 2008....

Sandelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Oh wanted to clarify that if I did 2 UD in a row it would be 1 x week (like Sat & Sun) and only because I'd be in a maintenance woe...
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

And you've all obviously had wonderful success!

That's the input I was looking for - it's just so hard to decide what path to take with so many contradictory comments among all the threads (as with just about ANY plan -LOL!)

But a little bell went off with Pat's comments about ending up with more DD's one week vs another when truly alternating UD's and DD's - THAT actually could make a difference!

Thanks!
Sandelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori-s
Stats: 176.8/148.9/150 - 5'10"
Quote:

GOAL???? Woo Hoo Beebs!
Lori-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandelio View Post

"To throw a MD in there every week just "because" was not what was intended by Dr. J."

I'm not trying to argue, but I'm completely lost.

My book says, Mr. Dr. J's words exactly:

"Another strategy would be to make Sunday an "in-between" day, meaning that you still restrict to some extent but eat more that you would on a regular down day. Some Alternate-Day dieters have found that this works for them, while others have found that calculating in-between-day calories just adds to their stress and, therefore, becomes counterproductive."

Again - I don't KNOW if it's a good idea or not - I'm new. But I'm beginning to feel like I bought the wrong book when statements like "that's not in the plan" and "that wasn't his intention" are made.

The book I downloaded is "The Alternate Day Diet" by James B. Johnson M.D., copyright 2008....

I do understand you confusion and I so sorry for not be clearing on my post, and yes, you have the right book.

Yes, Dr. J did say what you quoted, but it's the part that he says, "Some Alternate-Day dieters have found that this works for them, while others have found that calculating in-between-day calories just adds to their stress and, therefore, becomes counterproductive". I'm also not sure where in the book this statement is made, but I'm thinking it's probably not in the part that explains the diet and how to start it. This is what I was trying to say, that MDs should not be done UNTIL a person knows if it's going to be trouble for them or not, and I really think we can not know what is going to work unless we give this WOE at least 2 weeks to see what is going to happen. To throw a MD in there right from the start, in my opinion, could be a recipe for trouble.

Just my thoughts, and again sorry for not being clearer.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Oh wanted to clarify that if I did 2 UD in a row it would be 1 x week (like Sat & Sun) and only because I'd be in a maintenance woe...
Old 11-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandelio View Post
And you've all obviously had wonderful success!

That's the input I was looking for - it's just so hard to decide what path to take with so many contradictory comments among all the threads (as with just about ANY plan -LOL!)

But a little bell went off with Pat's comments about ending up with more DD's one week vs another when truly alternating UD's and DD's - THAT actually could make a difference!

Thanks!
LOLOL Well, I think you've hit a nail on the head about there being some varying thought on any diet plan, but I think a lot of this comes from those who have a strong feeling for the value of the extreme variance between calorie numbers between fasting and feasting, as far as what benefit that can have on overall health in the body.

I so strongly want this to be a tremendous and positive and healing influence on my health, far beyond simply weight loss. For myself, I loath the thought of doing the work to lose the weight, only to regain, so I'm working excitedly to get and then keep my metabolism as revved up as I can get it! Believe me when I say, at age 68 that is a big priority for me. LOL But at this point, I can out-eat my old gal pals, so JUDDD has done well for me.

I just play the odds, and try to take advantage of even the smallest detail, every single little item that might make even a small difference in my weight maintenance right now, and in my life forevermore.

So since I value that huge spread between DD and UD calorie numbers, I try not to have any more mid-range calorie days than I have to have. That's just how I do it, and why I do it.

ETA: But like I mentioned before, if it was necessary for me to have every day, every week, fall on the same day, for whatever reasons, I'd probably knuckle under to using MDs every single week. I just wouldn't be as happy about it. LOLOLOL

Last edited by SoHappy; 11-10-2011 at 03:04 PM..
Old 11-10-2011, 04:30 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
I have only been on JUDDD since the beginning of Oct, but I haven't tried a MD yet. I don't want to write it off ... I may try it in the future.
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/maintaining 135-139
I really don't like having to do a MD, but because we have a weekly dinner with our friends, it has become a necessity.

I lost most of my weight with HHCG, and came to JUDDD a month ago today, and have shed 7 lbs. I did release 5 of those in my first 2 weeks doing JUDDD!

Yes, it is slower, but with with those MDs, I felt I had the best of both worlds and do feel comfortable. (for now).

I do intend to change my schedule to the alternating weeks because I may want to lower my goal weight simply because JUDDD is so incredibly easy for me.

I will say these MDs have been a comfort zone for me because I never really went 'off' the program, and am very thankful that the program does allow them.

I am 71 and knowing that JUDDD truly works at any age is, in itself, reason for adhering to it.

Gracie's Journal
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #18

I know, Gracie! I always think the young gals will be so smart to get skinny and stay there while they're young and not wait until past meno to get that hard job done, 'cause it gets a whole lot harder for most of us!

It was shocking and amazing and appalling and completely disheartening to come face-to-face with how much slower my body and metabolism worked after menopause!

And yet, once I found JUDDD..... magic!

I use the MDs occasionally to alter my eating cycle, but try not to anymore than I really need to. I actually don't think they are as easy to do, for some reason. It's enough food to make me really hungry, but not enough food to satisfy my awakened appetite. Just not a pleasant day from either viewpoint.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
I am in my 4th week of JUDDD and I have done 2 MD's to try to adjust my days so that Sunday would be an UD as every Sunday we have bible study.

Originally I was planning on doing a MD every week so that every Sunday would be an UD but have gone back to just alternating. Luckily this Sunday will be an UD and next week it will not, but I have to work so I am missing Bible study anyways.

I am not dismissing them, and for some people it may still work, i think they are a good tool because not doing one could result in an extra UD instead and that could be worse.
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: avecrain
Stats: 240/197/160 (5'10, age 22)
WOE: juddd; DD 500 / UD 2400
Start Date: september 5, 2011
I have been doing JUDDD for let's see...almost 10 weeks, and I haven't done a MD yet. I find it easy enough to switch back and forth between days. I would use one to alter the schedule for a holiday or event I was looking forward to, though. I have done two UDs in a row, during a visit to my college, and it didn't hurt my losing (at all, actually).
avecrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #21

Yes, MDs are a good "ace up your sleeve" to use when needed and I think it's very wise to use them as such.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinjob
Stats: 157/156/130
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: November 7, 2011 (Did Atkins first in 2001)
Quote:

I would also be afraid that a MD every week would become another UD for me and this would not keep me at my wonderful goal weight that I made today of 135!!

Woo hoo! Congrats!
Skinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/maintaining 135-139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
It was shocking and amazing and appalling and completely disheartening to come face-to-face with how much slower my body and metabolism worked after menopause!
Amen to that!!! ^^^^^

And, now there's only JUDDD Joy!!!

Last edited by sazzie; 11-11-2011 at 10:27 AM..
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2muchme
WOE: HCG, then atkins, now JUDDD, then JUDDD again
Start Date: Atkins, summer 2011: JUDDD, 10/24/2011
I couldn't agree more w the post-menopause problems...let me count the ways!! Metabolism hit a brick wall!! what the...???!!!

I've been toying with MDs, too, as my SO who works weekends is now joining in with JUDDD. Trying to figure out meals to 500 calories would be so stressful on weekends, I think. Just works out well to do DDs M,W and F. But we'll see. If it slows me down I'll go back to alternating. I've only had one MD this past weekend. This weekend will be my second. So far, I'm down to 140 which is a weight that I haven't seen in probably 10 years. Come close before, but always stopped at 142-143 and then slowly gained again. So far, I'm very happy with this. I'll keep in mind the warnings so I'll be sensitive to this potential problem though. Hopefully, all works well.

You guys are the best!!!
Old 11-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazzie View Post
I really don't like having to do a MD, but because we have a weekly dinner with our friends, it has become a necessity.

I lost most of my weight with HHCG, and came to JUDDD a month ago today, and have shed 7 lbs. I did release 5 of those in my first 2 weeks doing JUDDD!

Yes, it is slower, but with with those MDs, I felt I had the best of both worlds and do feel comfortable. (for now).

I do intend to change my schedule to the alternating weeks because I may want to lower my goal weight simply because JUDDD is so incredibly easy for me.

I will say these MDs have been a comfort zone for me because I never really went 'off' the program, and am very thankful that the program does allow them.

I am 71 and knowing that JUDDD truly works at any age is, in itself, reason for adhering to it.
Sorry, thread jump: GET OUT OF TOWN!! You are 71 years old? I don't believe it!!! You look AMAZING!!
Old 11-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Because of my work and life schedule, I need to have my up and down days the same each week, the only way I can do this is if I insert a medium day on Sundays. So far it's working fine for me.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:08 AM   #27

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
I have used three MDs since I started JUDDing a few weeks ago. We lead a very busy social life and I can just manage to eat out on a MD if necessary, by fasting until the evening. Over this past few days I did DD, MD, UD and today is another DD.

I hit goal today so it can't be all bad.

But I too am interested in the health benefits of boosting my metabolism so will use them on occasion but not as a rule.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/113.5/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Kissa Goal!!!

Great news!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
I have used three MDs since I started JUDDing a few weeks ago. We lead a very busy social life and I can just manage to eat out on a MD if necessary, by fasting until the evening. Over this past few days I did DD, MD, UD and today is another DD.

I hit goal today so it can't be all bad.

But I too am interested in the health benefits of boosting my metabolism so will use them on occasion but not as a rule.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #30

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Thanks.
Kissa is online now   Reply With Quote