Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Please help me figure out my numbers (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/744944-please-help-me-figure-out-my-numbers.html)

shari 11-10-2011 07:04 AM

Please help me figure out my numbers

I'm a bit confused and need help. On the Johnson's website it says I should have 414cals for DD and 2068 for UD..that's at my current weight now. Should I compute using my goal weight for optimal loss instead of using current weight? Also, should I deduct my UD cals to compensate for upping my DD cals to 500 or stick to what's recommended? Thanks for the help. :)

kel7298 11-10-2011 07:17 AM

I personally feel the spread should reflect a two day total of 2400 calories (equates to 1200 a day, the recommended daily weight loss calories) regardless how you slice it ex. 500/1900 or 600/1800. I know some folks go higher, some lower. Pick numbers and stick with them for a week (be honest with your logging). If it works, you found it, if not, go a tab bit (100 calories) lower.

HTH

shari 11-10-2011 07:35 AM

Gotcha, it does help. Thanks a lot. :)

sophiethecat 11-10-2011 07:38 AM

Hi Shari, :) if you're at 168# and want to get to 145#, I would use a goal weight in the calculator BUT not the 145# right now, because that might cause too big of a drop in calories than you're used to, and would make it harder. I would pick a number, say 165# or 160# or whatever you feel comfortable with that is below your current weight. That way as you go down in pounds, you can adjust the number of calories as you go, rather than a big drop all at once in calories.

shari 11-10-2011 07:40 AM

Ok, I see how that could work too, I'll try that..thanks! :)

sophiethecat 11-10-2011 07:50 AM

Oh and I agree with Kel about the calorie spread, :high5: I was just wanting to help you with the part about whether to put goal or current weight in calculator :)

My recent calorie spread on an UD/DD was 1,790 on UD and 575 on DD. So they average to 1,182 which is right in my weight loss area :) I can get up to an average of about 1,200 and still lose, but it's best for me if it's a little below 1,200. This is just to give you an example of how it works for me. I figured this out in a thread a couple weeks ago and it's great to have a clear idea of my numbers. It always works according to my numbers :)

shari 11-10-2011 09:13 AM

Ok, I've calculated new numbers and have an idea how to work it. ;) Thanks Kel and Sophie for your help.

SoHappy 11-10-2011 09:42 AM

I'll add my 2 too, but have a question... did you just use only the JUDDD site calorie calculator? Many of us believe that we are given a *quite generous* calorie number from that site, especially considering that many of us are heavy because we have terrible, terrible metabolisms, not just because we overate a bit too much. I think that having a very slow metabolism can mean that the given maintenance number can be skewed way too high.

I think it's important to go to several sites and use those various calorie calculators to see what your maintenance calorie number is shown as... and then maybe just take the average of those figures to work with.

And then, we sometimes subtract a couple of hundred from that number as well to get our working Up Day calorie number. But we don't want to go much lower than that for sure! Because one of the most important things with JUDDD is to NOT have those UD calories be lowered, as in a *diet*.

Those high UD calories are there to stimulate your brain with the message that *There is plenty of food out here... those very low calories of yesterday don't mean I'm in a famine... no need to slow down my metabolism... in fact, I'm getting so much to eat that you can now increase my metabolic rate to compensate for all of this food!* :laugh:

So it's important to hold your UD calories pretty much as high as you can, rather than to lower them TOO much... that's beginning to approach the more standard diet concept, and JUDDD is so much different than that. Those high UD calories are there to nourish your body and delight your mind, but especially to simulate the ancient feast or famine way of probable eating where your body was stimulated to have every facet of its being working at best efficiency in order to just keep you alive. So in addition to weight loss, we trying to have every organ and system work at its very best for us too. (I'm sure keeping my fingers crossed. LOL)

And then, DD calories are held to fasting levels. That figure of 500 calories or even fewer on DDs is a strong part of the equation, so if you can't hold as low as 500 to begin with, try to get yourself down to that fasting level as soon as you can. It sometimes takes a bit of adapting to, but it's a pretty important part of JUDDD, as opposed to some other general diet plan.

I think you are going to be getting slimmer, but I think you are going to really appreciate what this plan can do for all other areas of your health as well! And, frankly, I think that's even more important than our initial weight loss goal! :laugh: :hugs:

shari 11-10-2011 02:09 PM

Thanks Pat..never too much info! :)

Beeb 11-10-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sophiethecat (Post 15164554)
Hi Shari, :) if you're at 168# and want to get to 145#, I would use a goal weight in the calculator BUT not the 145# right now, because that might cause too big of a drop in calories than you're used to, and would make it harder. I would pick a number, say 165# or 160# or whatever you feel comfortable with that is below your current weight. That way as you go down in pounds, you can adjust the number of calories as you go, rather than a big drop all at once in calories.

I used my current weight and I think many others have too and the plan worked just fine. When I got to my first goal I recalculated and did those numbers BUT I continued to lose weight and there is a thread on here about how I wasn't sure what to do to stop losing. :doh: I have since upped my DD/UD calories beyond what I was eating to lose to stop losing weight. I know sounds :stars: but others have found the same thing.

I think using your current weight Shari will work just fine. Try it for a week, and if it's not working well, adjust then but give your body a chance to try at your current weight. :)

shari 11-11-2011 06:05 AM

Thanks Linda. I'm trying new numbers so hoping it works. I'll know in a week. :D
I can't imagine yet trying to stop losing..LOL. I'd love to get there...:laugh:

Beeb 11-11-2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shari (Post 15167000)
Thanks Linda. I'm trying new numbers so hoping it works. I'll know in a week. :D
I can't imagine yet trying to stop losing..LOL. I'd love to get there...:laugh:

You will, my JUDDD BUDDD, I just KNOW you will! :high5: