Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Myfitnesspal Question (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/744882-myfitnesspal-question.html)

pjsam1156 11-09-2011 05:20 PM

Myfitnesspal Question
 
I started using ************ today. LOVE it for keeping track of everything:love:
But, is there any way I can either have it give me different calorie totals for different days?
If I can't, how do you know how many calories are available for an UD? If it starts w/1100 (as in my case) for every day--won't I be going over on all my UDs so that I won't know what my "balance" for my UDs will be? Or do JUDDDs just do the math separately?
Thanks in advance.:dunno:

Star73 11-09-2011 05:41 PM

I would like to know the answer to this too. I just went ahead and set mine to zero for now and let it add up the calories. It shows in the negative though :laugh:

pjsam1156 11-09-2011 05:45 PM

Good idea, Star! If there's no other way, I'll try that.

Mommie22boys 11-09-2011 06:21 PM

I use ***, too and I love it! I hadn't been bothering with what my goal calories were set at...I just knew everyday what my totals were and that was enough for me. However, I was thinking that I'm going to set my calorie level to my MD number (my UD/DD average). Here's why: if we are supposed to average a certain number of calories between our Up and Down days, and *** will show us our calorie average for the current week (Sun-Sat), then wouldn't setting my *** goal as my UD/DD average be about right? I mean, I really don't care if my calorie calculator tells me if I'm under my calorie limit for the day...it doesn't know if I'm on an UD or a DD. I know if I'm over my daily goal on any day because my daily calorie goal is on my mind all day:stars:. ;) but if my calorie calculator will show me how I did over the course of the week without me having to do the math, all the better. :)

Btw, I love this as an app on my phone since I can update my foods in real time. If I change my mind about something at the last second or want to look something up while I'm out and about to see if I have enough calories left, it's so easy to do on the fly. I don't think I could do it (or maybe wouldn't be able to do it as well) if I had to keep track all day and then enter everything in after the fact. It probably wouldn't be pretty. :stars:

pjsam1156 11-09-2011 07:45 PM

Andrea--I think you are right. That's how mine is set, because the first day I started ************, it asked all these questions so that it came up w/1200 per day for me to lose 1 lb. a week.
So it says I have 600 left for today, but tomorrow, I can check the weekly and it will tell me if I'm on track--right?:stars:
I think so. I'll try that--I guess I was just thinking I didn't want to become confused (which is very easy when it comes to me:hyst:) because today it said I had 600 cals left (which I didn't) and tomorrow will only be allowing me 1200 when I can have 1800, so it will be freaking out all day that I am over.;)
So, I'll try this for a while, and if I find it frustrating--I'll try it with no totals for the day, and maybe it will just add them up for me--like Star does.
thanks everyone!!:clap:

Star73 11-09-2011 07:47 PM

my way is very simple. it adds up the calories but puts a negative sign in front of it. So, instead of saying 500 calories, it says -500 calories, but I'm fine with that.

kel7298 11-10-2011 08:13 AM

I love all the suggestions. I have been using it so long, that I really don't pay that much attention to what they say. I just look at how many calories I have actually eaten. Sometimes I put a little note down in the bottom to remind me. I just know that the little message that pops up saying how much you will weigh in 5 weeks, has never been right as I have been using the app since April..lol...but that was before JUDDD :)

If anyone wants to add me as a friend, my user name there is the same as here.

SoHappy 11-10-2011 09:03 AM

I'm not at all familiar with how this program works, but isn't there a running calorie number of where you are for the day?

So you plan, enter, and eat your DD calories, and that's your 500 calories for the day. And then the next day you plan for your UD calories, and that number would be your 1800 or 2000 or whatever?

I sure wouldn't be paying any attention to any programming that had me eating calories in the middle anywhere. That's aimed at people who are doing a general calorie restriction *diet* rather than an alternate day fasting/feasting plan.

Did you get it figured out?

pjsam1156 11-10-2011 04:28 PM

Pat--the way it works is it asks your age, weight and height and then gives you the number of calories you should be eating to lose 1 lb a week, 2 lbs. a week, etc. (you choose that part.) So I chose 1 lb. a week, and it said 1200 per day. I changed that to 1100 per day (it lets you change per-day calories), but it doesn't let you say 500 one day, 1700 the next.:( I guess you can't use it that way.
But, it's GREAT for keeping track of calories--has a database to look things up or you can just put in the # of cals you ate.:clap:
so, like some others, I'm just going to look at the running total for the day and disregard everything else. I like it better than having to write things down--I just put the app on my iPhone--for me, that's the easiest.:D

SoHappy 11-10-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjsam1156 (Post 15166046)
Pat--the way it works is it asks your age, weight and height and then gives you the number of calories you should be eating to lose 1 lb a week, 2 lbs. a week, etc. (you choose that part.) So I chose 1 lb. a week, and it said 1200 per day. I changed that to 1100 per day (it lets you change per-day calories), but it doesn't let you say 500 one day, 1700 the next.:( I guess you can't use it that way.
But, it's GREAT for keeping track of calories--has a database to look things up or you can just put in the # of cals you ate.:clap:
so, like some others, I'm just going to look at the running total for the day and disregard everything else. I like it better than having to write things down--I just put the app on my iPhone--for me, that's the easiest.:D

OK, I understand now. :laugh:

So, what did you finally settle on for your UD calorie number? And are you doing a true 500 calorie DD fasting day?

I think your tracking program sounds a bit more user friendly than the ****** program I started out on, and am thus loathe to leave, lest I have to spend half my remaining life re-entering all my stuff into a new program. :sad:

pjsam1156 11-10-2011 06:06 PM

I thought I should do 500/1700. Does that sound good to you? or is 600/1600 okay? I will prob do whatever you think will work better--you understand the "magic" so much better than I!:up:

SoHappy 11-10-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjsam1156 (Post 15166238)
I thought I should do 500/1700. Does that sound good to you? or is 600/1600 okay? I will prob do whatever you think will work better--you understand the "magic" so much better than I!:up:

If it were my choice, I'd definitely go for the spread of 500/1700 which has a 1200-calorie spread difference, rather than just the 600/1600 choice, which only has a spread of 1000 calories.

For some reason, that bigger spread between DD calories and UD calories seems to be a big help in not just weight loss, but in helping you develop an easy time with fasting, more appetite normalization, for many of us a perkier metabolism, etc.

Even the 1700 calories on your UD seems low to me, but that's probably because I eat at a lot higher calorie level than that on my UDs. Hopefully we can get your numbers up too as the weeks go on, all while you are also losing weight. Think *skinny*! :laugh:

pjsam1156 11-10-2011 06:22 PM

Will do, Pat--I'll go w/the 500/1700. I prob have lower calories because I exercise here and there--I'll do the treadmill 3 times a week, and the next week, I'll do 10 min each day of strength training. So, I put in "sedentary" for exercise level when getting my numbers, because I can't count on exercising every day, even tho I should. I really think I must be the laziest person alive, sometimes. I ABHOR exercise. I have to talk myself into it, even tho the treadmill is right in front of a TV!:hyst:
I'll keep you posted on how this works. and THANKS for all your help:love:

SoHappy 11-10-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjsam1156 (Post 15166265)
Will do, Pat--I'll go w/the 500/1700. I prob have lower calories because I exercise here and there--I'll do the treadmill 3 times a week, and the next week, I'll do 10 min each day of strength training. So, I put in "sedentary" for exercise level when getting my numbers, because I can't count on exercising every day, even tho I should. I really think I must be the laziest person alive, sometimes. I ABHOR exercise. I have to talk myself into it, even tho the treadmill is right in front of a TV!:hyst:
I'll keep you posted on how this works. and THANKS for all your help:love:

I expect you will do very well. But if you are running into any problems at all, post about them to any and all, rather than letting days and weeks of no progress happen to you. You may well not run into any problems at all, but if you do, everyone will be here to help.

I'm sure excited about this, and to see your weight loss as these next weeks pass!

julietcc 11-10-2011 07:16 PM

I just put my up day number in fit day. That way I'm nearly always under my calorie goal.

It's funny how I get this message on my down days like today :laugh:

Quote:

If every day were like today... You'd weigh 105.3 lbs in 5 weeks

*Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1,200 calories per day minimum.
I don't think so because I'll be eating a lot of good stuff tomorrow! :jumpjoy:

kris4chloe 11-10-2011 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julietcc (Post 15166364)
I just put my up day number in fit day. That way I'm nearly always under my calorie goal.

It's funny how I get this message on my down days like today :laugh:



I don't think so because I'll be eating a lot of good stuff tomorrow! :jumpjoy:

haha i get that message to julie, its funny. i have switched it a few times.

first i just left it at what it set up automatically. then i switched it to my UD calories so I was always under, but just this week I changed it by clicking on custom and set my daily calories to 1350 which is my UD and DD days combined, divided by 2.

pjsam1156 11-11-2011 06:52 AM

I just have 1100--which is my DD and UD combined and divided by two. I think it's hilarious when on an UD, it tells me that if I keep eating that way, I'll weight like, 200 lbs. in three weeks.:hyst:

Joedi 11-11-2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Star73 (Post 15163239)
I would like to know the answer to this too. I just went ahead and set mine to zero for now and let it add up the calories. It shows in the negative though :laugh:

I have done this too....so every day I "go over" lol!

Doing this means I can keep an eye on my average daily calories...by checking the previous weeks average....though you have to be careful..if you add in any exercise..it deducts the amount of calories it figures you have burned..so your daily average may look a lot lower than it really is!

(Sometimes I will just put in my goal as my UD number..1800...I like that as I can see how many cals I have left...well, at least on my UD!)

hugs
Jo
x

kris4chloe 11-11-2011 09:40 PM

i have just started changing it every day to my goal for that day, so DD's set it to 500 and UD's set it to 2000 and don't put any exercise until the end of the night. I am finding it easier to figure it out quickly that way.

Skinjob 11-12-2011 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris4chloe (Post 15168969)
i have just started changing it every day to my goal for that day, so DD's set it to 500 and UD's set it to 2000 and don't put any exercise until the end of the night. I am finding it easier to figure it out quickly that way.

I do this as well and ignore the messages. Just use it to track. If only someone would develop such an app for JUDDD!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:52 PM.