Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 05:17 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
why do YOU do JUDDD?

I was just asking myself and was curious how others felt.

Exercise more, Eat less! That's what you always hear when you are trying to lose fat, right?

So why don't we just do that??

I come from a fitness-y, gym rat background. But it's only been in the last couple years that I've used forms of CR to ditch the lbs, for MYSELF.

I don't think I'd recommend this to someone as a way to lose weight because they'd think I'd gone MAD, lol.

So what in the past have you tried that didn't seem to work and how did you come to JUDDD?
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2011, 05:33 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

I love the gym and I love to exercise! Weight training specifically is my thing.

After the birth of my daughter nearly 5 years ago(!!!OMG!!!) It's been increasingly MORE difficult to shake off this extra weight.

The moderate approach WAS.NOT. WORKING.
Later it was discovered that I had a thyroid problem which is still unresolved.(but hopefully not for long!)

Eating right and exercising wasn't working to get rid of the lbs. That's when I found a 'guy' who is pretty well known in the fitness industry and I tried out one of his diets that he wrote. It WORKED!!! I dropped about 35lbs in about 5 months!!!

But I'm stuck. I've been at this same weight for two years. I guess it's kinda good that I've maintained, especially with thyroid problems. But I don't wANt to MAINTAIN!!
I tried the moderate way again, adding more cardio, etc. It wasn't working. And more recently it's been pointed out by a couple Docs that my knees are HORRIBLE.
The cartilidge is bad in there, and bones are starting to rub. Great. So any form of intense cardio is out the door along with things that are really GOOD, like squats, lunges, etc..
Not really wanting to go that harsh dieting route again I found JUDDD. Sounded more doable. I'll try anything once! lol
I guess I'm so tired of these extra pounds hanging on, I just want to get on with my life.
But I'm starting to think/feel I am at a setpoint and no matter what I do my body will not let go until my thyroid is treated well.

Also I was wondering if I am possibly doing MORE harm by suppressing my already sluggish metabolism by CR??

Well, that's my story! What's yours?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:42 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
I'm very, very new to JUDDD (just started Monday). What led me here was the success stories of people here. I was hearing more and more great things. I was already doing intermittent fasting with LC and felt switching to JUDDD would be an easy transition. I was feeling horrible on LC and knew I needed a change.

So far so good, I've lost 2 pounds since Monday

I don't normally weigh so soon when changing diet plans, but my body was feeling different, like some water weight gone or something.

I know it can fluctuate so I'm prepared mentally for that too.

I love the thought of eating anything I want as long as I stay in the calorie range. I love the thought that I can go to the movies on an UP day and have popcorn without worrying about it.

I hope your thyroid problems get straightened out. I'm hypo myself .

I hope your knee pain eases. Joint pain is no fun! I have RA and need to lose these pounds to take some pressure off my knees and ankles!
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:26 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

I guess the core of my question is why do we choose this form of calorie restriction?
Can't we just exercise more and 'eat right?'

Or do you all think that is total hog wash?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: avecrain
Stats: 240/197/160 (5'10, age 22)
WOE: juddd; DD 500 / UD 2400
Start Date: september 5, 2011
Personally, I've always been physically active and eaten good healthy foods, but also overweight, a fat person surrounded by people with much smaller bodies. I can count the seriously overweight people I know on only a few fingers, and I have to think really hard to come up with them. I've also always been pretty healthy for being so overweight. Normal blood pressure, no issues, etc, so my doctors never really pushed for any change, I guess. Because of that, I just sort of always assumed that losing weight wasn't really an option for me, and this was just the body and size I was dealt.

This summer, working at camp, my director did this diet, and lost 5 pounds instead of gaining over the summer like she usually does (reeaaallly easy to do at camp). I was watching her do it and being like...I could do it better than she does, haha. And, when I came home from camp, I decided to do try the diet almost as a way to keep me entertained while I looked for jobs (I graduated from college in May). I bought the book and tried it out. To my surprise, it was very easy for me and I lost 10 lbs the first two weeks. I think my body fasts really easily, and my mind does it almost as easily.

I think that I could be doing other forms of caloric restriction and also losing weight right now--I think my only roadblock has been that I never tried anything. However, I'm staying on this because it's working very well and I think my metabolism is being kept very happy. In order to lose the 3 lbs a week I have been consistently losing on this plan, I would need to cut serious daily calories that would not be fun and that would slow my metabolism, I'm sure.

This diet has also made me aware how much of losing is diet, not exercise. I'm working out, but mostly to keep myself entertained, because I like it and it makes me happy (and keeps me happy through the winter--SAD sufferer here). When I lose more, I will be doing more serious toning, but it feels silly right now as I'm still carrying around a lot of extra. I think most to all of my loss is coming from the calorie restriction.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

oh AVE, I totally agree.
For me personally, losing weight has been alllll about diet. Little to do with exercise, lol. But I still do it, cause I love it. And it helps me maintain/build muscle of course which is also great.

I think because if we diet down without some form of weight training, then we just become smaller versions of our overweight self. Does that make sense?

Thats just my opinion though. And there are many many more benefits to weight training that I care to mention here, lol.

Curious, what was the diet that you tried before?

I did about 4 rounds of Lyle McDonalds rapid fat loss diet. It's very restrictive. Like very low cals everyday, accept one free meal and 5 hr 'refeed,' per week..(all depending on what category you are in) But it works
I lost 10lbs a month a couple times in a row with it. The other two rounds, 5lbs a month.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:58 AM   #7
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Oddly, I have more energy and exercise better on down days lol.
Why I'm doing juddd: being stalled forever on low-carb, then paleo/low-carb. I love the foods and how I feel overall on those plans, but I'd really like to reach goal in the next 6 months and I was not losing on lc or p/lc unless I was very, very restricted (like whole30 paleo restriction - even then after the initial 6lb loss the first month, I stalled out again).
I enjoy DD's because of the control and I've never had any hunger issues that can't be controlled with a cup of broth or some celery.
UD's are a little more challenging because I've been restrictive so long. But being able to have pot stickers, or a tv-dinner(lol), or going out to any restaurant because I don't have to have just protein and veggies is very nice

http://www.onlineconversion.com/ <-- cooking and other conversions

Need to contact LCF?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/contact.html

Everyone has an opinion. Take what you need and leave the rest.

2014 resolution: stop being my own worst enemy and critic!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:00 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post

I was just asking myself and was curious how others felt.

Exercise more, Eat less! That's what you always hear when you are trying to lose fat, right?

So why don't we just do that??

I come from a fitness-y, gym rat background. But it's only been in the last couple years that I've used forms of CR to ditch the lbs, for MYSELF.

I don't think I'd recommend this to someone as a way to lose weight because they'd think I'd gone MAD, lol.

So what in the past have you tried that didn't seem to work and how did you come to JUDDD?
i haven't read all the replies so will just answer for me.

what i love about JUDDD is that for ME it's the best of both worlds.

on UDs i can feel more free to eat what i want without guilt or worry.

on DDs i am 'forced' to practice self-control which for me is very important. forced in the sense that if i do "this" then i can do "that"....kwim? i think in some ways i do have food issues. i don't binge or anything. i don't eat emotionally. i struggle the most in social, happy settings...."well, everyone else is doing it (stuffing their face) so can i!" as well as a lot of *thinking* about food all the time, which i hate. i don't always ACT on those thoughts, but it is still annoying, non the less. i NEED the DDs to, in essence force me to practice self-control. and i (most always) look forward to those days as much as my UDs.

i don't know if i have articulated the way i feel about JUDDD very well, but this is where i am.

edited to add: yes, eating less is a key to weight loss, but i can't..mentally...do that EVERYDAY.....and that's another thing i love about JUDDD. only "dieting" every other day. and exercise....HATE IT! DON'T do it. just don't like it....

Last edited by dazygyrl; 11-09-2011 at 07:13 AM..
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

so have any of you ever tried just 'eating right,' and exercising?

Eating right meaning making good healthy food choices, CONSISTENTLY, Like for a long time, lol. Or do you think that is just too hard for the majority of people?

I find this stuff all fascinating!
Old 11-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
I guess the core of my question is why do we choose this form of calorie restriction?

I probably could do this, but JUDDD has some benefits that go beyond that. Like someone already mentioned, your metabolism doesn't get used to the lowered calories on JUDDD, which could be a problem with other diets that have you restrict calories every single day.

And on JUDDD we get an UD every other day to eat what we want, then the DD for the CR benefits. Some studies have shown that alternate day fasting is even more effective than daily restricting of calories. So what we are doing is basically fasting every other day, though we are getting up to/around 500 calories. Even those who fast on other plans usually get some calories in the form of drinks. And JUDD still works even though there are some calories consumed.

Why did I personally choose THIS - the JUDDD form of CR? I sort of did a form of CR on LC if I think about it - I mean ketosis kept me eating under 1,200 calories daily for the most part, but I was losing sooo slowly. It was slowing my metabolism, I guess. My body was adapting to having less calories daily and therefore was reluctant to give up any weight. And while inflammation was lowering on LC, it's happened so much faster on JUDDD and moderate carb. It's like my body wasn't suited for LC, but was suited for mod. carb & the calorie cycling.

On JUDDD, the alternate days keep my body guessing and it doesn't feel threatened about food scarcity to hold onto fat. It lets it go when my UD/DD numbers are right.

Even if I had no weight to lose, I would still do JUDDD if I knew about it because of the CR benefits. I'm serious about those benefits. I love my life and want to live the longest and healthiest life I possibly can. I want to live without inflammation = weight gain, acne, aches & pains, etc. I want to not only live a long, healthy life but look as good as I can.

MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 11-09-2011 at 07:47 AM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star73 View Post

I love the thought of eating anything I want as long as I stay in the calorie range. I love the thought that I can go to the movies on an UP day and have popcorn without worrying about it.
I see this phrase so often on this Juddd forum!
When people say this..do they really mean they can have "_____" without worrying about it...which is what I would like to do
or do they mean they can have "_____"...but will still have to work out the amount, calculate the calories, and figure whether it will fit into their upday allowance. what I actually have to do!

I think this is where I really struggle.....I can restrict on DD's easily enough..I can manage the hunger...which isnt as bad as it was...but on UD's I usually do end up worrying about my choices...I am so focused on getting the calories right, and making sure I dont go to far over my allowance, that i cant relax, and enjoy my UD's without worrying, as much as i should!

Recently sohappy suggested I have some UD's as "free days"...not free for all days just free from counting days.

The thread is here: Struggling on my UD's would NOT counting Calories on UD's help?.

I had my first one yesterday...I didnt go mad, but i did enjoy a few more treats..ie a cereal bar, and some chocolate...which I wouldnt have, normally, for fear of running out of cals!
I spent most of the day picking...no actual meals.

I think it will take me a few more FD's to realise I dont have to have a bit of everything I have been missing! Most people go through this on the first few UD's they have...mine have been very controlled...so I am experiencing it now!
Despite having been juddding for 2 months now, my attitude toward food isnt really "normal".
I think and worry about it almost constantly....my body may not be following my ED behaviours..but my mind still is!

What I am hoping to get from Juddd is:

Maintaining my weight
A normal attitude to food

Hugs
Jo
x

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"

Last edited by Joedi; 11-09-2011 at 07:58 AM..
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:18 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Sophie- thanks!

Joedi- ya, I've been wondering about that. People say they can eat what they want on UDs, but do they plan it in advance??? Lately we've been hearing count count COUNT THOSE CALORIES! But when 'life happens,' do we just let go a bit?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: avecrain
Stats: 240/197/160 (5'10, age 22)
WOE: juddd; DD 500 / UD 2400
Start Date: september 5, 2011
Quote:
Curious, what was the diet that you tried before?
sorry betty, i guess i wasn't clear! this is the first diet i've ever been on. i've never even counted calories before. just grew up in a healthy eating/organic/non-processed household and have always eaten and liked that kind of food, but i think i started putting on weight when i realized how good processed stuff can taste? or that i just ate more of the good food than everyone else? not quite sure, but somehow it got on me and has stuck around until i started doing UD/DD in september!
avecrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
Quote:

Eating right meaning making good healthy food choices, CONSISTENTLY, Like for a long time, lol. Or do you think that is just too hard for the majority of people?

yes, and that is where the burn out comes in....diet wise...i don't exercise, remember....lol!! so yes, i have tried the "just eating right" and lost weight....but the burnout of restriction gets to me. that's why i love JUDDD, while i mostly make great eating choices, JUDDD allows you to "choose poorly" on occasion and it's corrected the next day, thus never letting burnout rear it's very ugly head.
dazygyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedi View Post
When people say this..do they really mean they can have "_____" without worrying about it...which is what I would like to do
or do they mean they can have "_____"...but will still have to work out the amount, calculate the calories, and figure whether it will fit into their upday allowance. what I actually have to do!

I think this is where I really struggle.....I can restrict on DD's easily enough..I can manage the hunger...which isnt as bad as it was...but on UD's I usually do end up worrying about my choices...I am so focused on getting the calories right, and making sure I dont go to far over my allowance, that i cant relax, and enjoy my UD's without worrying, as much as i should!

Recently sohappy suggested I have some UD's as "free days"...not free for all days just free from counting days.

The thread is here: Struggling on my UD's would NOT counting Calories on UD's help?.

I had my first one yesterday...I didnt go mad, but i did enjoy a few more treats..ie a cereal bar, and some chocolate...which I wouldnt have, normally, for fear of running out of cals!

I think it will take me a few more FD's to realise I dont have to have a bit of everything I have been missing! Most people go through this on the first few UD's they have...mine have been very controlled...so I am experiencing it now!
Despite having been juddding for 2 months now, my attitude toward food isnt really "normal".
I think and worry about it almost constantly....my body may not be following my ED behaviours..but my mind still is!

Maintaining my weight

Hugs
Jo
x
I see what you're saying. I said that because I don't have to worry about carbs. I can just enter it in ************ and add it in as calories. I actually had a hard time meeting the 2,000 calorie requirement yesterday. I ate real food, but I added in a small piece of fudge I had made (thanks Dottie ) and made it up to my calorie count.

I may change my UP calories to 1,800. I like not worrying about carbs. We will see how it goes, but this takes a load off so far with only watching calories.
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

Maintaining my weight

Hugs
Jo
x
I think once I'm sure I don't want to lose a few more pounds, I will really get into this "maintenance mode". Right now I still can't believe I'm at my goal weight. And I think I will lose a few more pounds so I have more of a buffer around the holidays.

But once I get to that point, I will ease into not counting UD like you mentioned. I will keep to my normal good DD, but have at least one day per week where I don't bother counting on UD, and just eat what I want.

To manage this, I will keep an eye on what the scale is doing over the week (not over just one or two days since there will probably be bounce), and adjust accordingly.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:51 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kel7298
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: 5:2
Start Date: October 2011
Quote:

I did that for 18 months (after I quit smoking) and actually gained weight. Not sure if the not smoking had anything to do with that.

Anyway, I started exercising religiously, eating healthy, with an occasional splurge and got NO WHERE! I did JUDDD months ago and lost a few pounds, but for some reason didn't stick with it (don't ask me why, I have slept since then)

What got me back to JUDDD was I saw a picture of myself taken 2 months ago and I was shocked at what I saw.

This works for me, and that is all that matters.

It's not about PERFECT. It's about EFFORT. And when you implement that effort into your life...EVERY SINGLE DAY, that's where transformation happens. That's how change occurs. KEEP GOING. Remember why you STARTED.

I have not smoked a cigarette in over 1400 days!
kel7298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:33 AM   #18
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:

THIS ^^^^ NEVER worked for me in all the years I was trying to shed these creepy pounds! I would eat "right", clean and usually LC and I was going to the gym 3 days a week and walking/biking the other 4. All it did for me was keep me at the weight I was when I started. Sure, my body changed it's shape but I was STILL the same weight. AND if I stopped the exercise routine for just a couple of days and still ate the same I started to gain weight.

Now, here is the funny thing: Since starting JUDDD I have had a foot issue that has prevented me from doing any formal exercise at all. I work around the yard some, go to the grocery store, clean house, but NOTHING compared to what I use to do. BUT the weight just flew off me with the JUDDD WOE. I am SURE that the calorie restriction every other day of JUDDD kicked my metabolism into high gear, where "eating right and exercise" never could do it.

Do I think it's all a bunch of hog wash? No, I think some form of exercise and eating "right" is needed to maintain a healthy lifestyle, but do I think that just "eating right and exercise" is going to help me to lose weight? Not at all, and I'm living proof it didn't work for me. Maybe for others, but not for me at all!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:37 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nik Nik
Stats: 196 / 185/ 165
WOE: Atkins/JUDDD
Start Date: 10/20/2011
I do for the loss, the health benefits, and the CONTROL factor of it all...

I still do LC, so I didn't give up one for another...I am just using both because it gives me the best of both worlds...the food I love...the amount that satisfies...and the ability to lose weight AND learn how to maintain once I'm at goal.

Tried Slim Fast, Low Fat/Low Calorie....always quit within a week because the food is horrible and I was starving....

I'm never starving now AND losing weight....AWESOME!
Nik Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Reading Beeb's post, I just had to add that in my own case, I worked out every other day on LC and still felt like I was taking forever to drop weight.

But on JUDDD, I'm lazy and haven't worked out yet and lost 5# in 9 days and have maintained since without exercise.

Don't get me wrong, exercise has benefits and I want to start back into it and reap those benefits.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #21
Administrator

One thing I learned this morning about juddd... even if the scale isn't moving, don't wear your loose pants on the elliptical cause they'll be around your knees by the quarter mile mark!
Old 11-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori-s
Stats: 176.8/148.9/150 - 5'10"
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
One thing I learned this morning about juddd... even if the scale isn't moving, don't wear your loose pants on the elliptical cause they'll be around your knees by the quarter mile mark!
Lori-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nola baxter
Quote:

Yep, eating right and exercising didnt cut it for me! I think it may be true and work for some but for others of us it is a myth.
The best and most sustainable way I have ever lost weight so far is by a 2 day calorie cycle rotation 3200/2400 cals..;
by which I slowly lost about half a pound a week with no metabolic slowdown or reduction etc..
I tried other rotations of calorie cycling, but found the 2 day thing was best.

I have tried many many many diets!! And while you can lose weight on them- the key is - is it easily maintainable/sustainable?!
I found that the two day rotation of calories did not drop my metabolic weight and lead to stalls and regains like all the other different diets or calorie formats.

I think that both calorie cycling, and a day on day off kind of regime, are really effective.
I tried a cycle with 3 low days and one high day , for a while, and this led to a lot of hunger, a stall, and a metabolic reduction involving an easy regain.
ie, 3 low days was too many.

Last edited by nola baxter; 11-09-2011 at 11:16 AM..
nola baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
Quote:
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
Why did I start JUDDD?

mainly because I was sick and tired of any WOE telling me that I couldn't have certain things ever again. I am tired of everyone around me realizing I am on a diet. Now that I am doing JUDDD no one other then a few close friends have any ideas because I eat regular food in the break room and not just salads and chicken breast.

Even as a teenager my weight fluctuated from 118-145 at 5'7" but mostly stuck around 130. My mom is thin but my dad is chunky so I think I got a little bit of both. I have always had a crazy appetite and have a liking of all kinds of food junk and healthy. I just had issues eating seconds and thirds.

To be 118 I would have to serious calorie cut and work out like crazy.

This is the weight I was when I met my husband and I wore a 3/5, At the time I was a vegetarian and looking back I didn't eat a whole lots of carbs then, other then an occasional tortilla. Pretty much lived on low fat crackers and veggies.

We got pregnant pretty quickly and I went up to 200 lbs because I saw the pregnancy as a opportunity to eat all I wanted and not to restrict a thing. Everyone warned me as I gained weight but I was young and thought I would just take it back off after the baby. UGH... man I wish I could slap 21 year old me.

Over the last 16 years I have done so many diets and have been pretty successful but the lowest I have ever gotten is 170.

I have done Weight Watchers (many, many times), South Beach Diet, Slimfast, Metabolite, Jenny Craig and Body for Life (this is the one I was most succesful on and got to 170 on, but I counted every single calorie and restricted alot of my eating and worked out intensively 5-6 days a week)

I have also done funky things like Cabbage Soup Diet and Master Cleanse fasting. None of it I could stick with because I get burned out on what I am eating. Eating is a social event for me and I find myself avoiding fun things with my friends because of the food barrier.

My first introduction to super low carb was Lindora and I lasted two weeks on that, man oh man was I hungry. Thats when my friend told me she has had luck on Atkins so I read the book and jumped in. I loved that every day I got on the scale and was down another pound at first, then it was a pound every few days as I lost more and more and then it was a pound every two to three days and then slam...nothing. I would get discouraged and eat some carbs and be up 5 lbs overnight, then I would get back on track and go ultra low carb and get the 5 lbs off but then two weeks later still be stuck and eat off plan and the whole cycle started over and over again.

Then i just sort of gave up for almost a year. Luckily in that year because I still was somewhat conscience carbs, etc I only gained 9 lbs from my original 45 lb weight loss.

Prior to starting atkins I went in and did all the pre-op testing and appointments to get the lap-band and decided at the last minute not to go through it. I know from my past i can restrict eating and that was a forced restriction so I made up my mind to do it on my own.

So this year when I decided it was time to get busy and get the rest of the weight off for good I went back to atkins since it worked so well, but immediately started being irritated with the restriction and the up/down. I did manage to take off the 9 lbs but just like last year I got stuck right where I got stuck before 220. Thats when I ran across Pat's post in the main LC forum about JUDDD and after spending a couple days reading I figured it was worth a try.

So far I have lost an additional 10 lbs on JUDDD in three weeks and I am hoping this is the plan that finally takes me to goal.

I love to exercise too, and I agree that we need it to reshape our bodies and it is just better for our overall health but this WOE allows it to not be required. Just an extra. Actually haven't made it to the gym in two weeks.

Sorry for the book, but I hope my 16 year weight battle will help someone else.

I am finally feeling like I will do it this time and JUDDD is something I can stick with.
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #26
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:

It's very hard for the majority of people because as you said in another post life tends to get in the way sometimes where we have no control over what we are eating or how it's even prepared to KNOW what we are eating. Even in the best of times there may not be "good food choices". JUDDD gives us the ability to pick and choose what we know we can eat calorie wise or at least pretty close, even in the worst case scenario.

Quote:
I REALLY mean it when I say I can have anything I want. And yes, I still work out t amount, calories and I will often times "make" it fit by eating different foods to save the calories for what I want. After awhile, too, we just "know" what to eat, how to eat it and how much we can eat without being stuffed and uncomfortable. You will get here, I have NO doubt. I think you are just too hard on Jo!

Quote:
Sophie- thanks!

Joedi- ya, I've been wondering about that. People say they can eat what they want on UDs, but do they plan it in advance??? Lately we've been hearing count count COUNT THOSE CALORIES! But when 'life happens,' do we just let go a bit?
Yup, life happens, and I, for one, do not plan my meals ahead of time. I never have no idea from one minute to the next what I feel like eating, that's just me and I can change my mind 100 times before I even eat anything for the day! I do count, count, count, but as times goes by, just like with LC, WW and South Beach I just now KNOW what I'm eating, calorie wise. And if I'm not sure, I just eat a little less, especially when "life happens" and I have no control.

Quote:
I LOVE this, but sorry for your , AND isn't it great to have our clothes, besides the scale, letting us know that JUDDD is working!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all for your responses!!!

Old 11-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
I was thin as a child/teen and only first tried to lose weight around 24. I had gone from 130 to 150. I cut back on fat (less than 20 grams) and increased fiber. Took me six long, long, long months to drop 20 pounds. Next attempt was after my first 2 kids. I had gone from 130 to 184. After six months on weight watchers I dropped down to 145. But I plateaued there. Kept eating the correct amount of "points" for 3 solids months with no further weight loss and gave up. I regained to the 180s, and kept repeating this plan. I reattempted WW at least another half dozen times. Each time, I would lose 2 pounds the first week, one pound the second, one pound the third, and then would plateau and lose no further weight.

Fast forward to 2006, up to 232 pounds. Found Rosedale and then Atkins and went from 232 to 182. But then, surprise, plateau after six months or so. For the next 4 years I stayed between the 180s and 210 or so, "eating healthy" but remaining fat. If I dropped my calories to 1200 a day or so I'd start losing, but I'd be very hungry.

Found hcg last year, and it was like a miracle in that I could finally lose weight, and even better, maintain the losses eating more food than I could before. Again, my losses slowed down (but did not plateau) and I eventually found my way to JUDDD.

The problem with any plan, is that you lose because you are restricting, and many of us - women especially - have metabolisms that tank from this after a while. Indeed your hormones tend to tell you that you are in a state of starvation and cause you hunger, great hunger. JUDDD does seem to get around this, with its every other day replenishment.
2012 lowish Optimal calories, June25th 132.6/124.6/110
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
I'm sure it was not funny to you when it happened, but I certainly got a laugh out of it.

I have also noticed a change in size more than a change in weight which I will take any day.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #30
Administrator

At least I was home alone