Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   What health benefits have you achieved from JUDDDing? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/744547-what-health-benefits-have-you-achieved-juddding.html)

jem51 11-07-2011 07:59 AM

What health benefits have you achieved from JUDDDing?

I saw the study and the health benefits so just wondered.

I tried JUDDD a year or two ago but was starving all the time so gave it up. BUT my health needs a boost and I want to avoid the s/s of aging so I've been doing this over the past week.

I don't need to lose anymore but want the DD calories low so I get the benefit.
Struggle w the UD because my digestion is so slow that I can't eat large/fatty meals....one of the things I'd like to correct.

Hopefully my body will correct.
I'm looking forward to the two week mark in hopes that I'll see at least some improvement.

So anyone see health improvement other than weight loss?

sophiethecat 11-07-2011 11:16 AM

Hi Jem :)

I've only been on JUDDD about a month, but I love the lowered inflammation. I noticed my skin getting better right away on JUDDD. As long as I don't have too much wine or sweets (candy, milk chocolates, fruit juices, etc.) I look and feel so much better :)

Joedi 11-07-2011 12:15 PM

Like Sophie, my skin is much improved.
And for my last two periods...no painful cramps at all...and I would suffer terribly before juddd!

hugs
Jo
x

jem51 11-07-2011 03:37 PM

The inflammation issue will be a bonus for sure.
No TOM but meno issues....

Thanks.

ouizoid 11-07-2011 04:04 PM

I have a patient I recommended JUDDD to--she had terrible asthma and JUDDD has been a miracle for her--

2muchme 11-07-2011 04:15 PM

Hi,

I, too, have noticed my skin looking much better....my face is brighter and smoother.

Also, my energy level. My overall mood. I'm much more positive in my outlook, which, in these times is really something!! Don't know if this is from JUDDD but I would say the increase in energy definitely is.

Beeb 11-07-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jem51 (Post 15155432)
I saw the study and the health benefits so just wondered.

I tried JUDDD a year or two ago but was starving all the time so gave it up. BUT my health needs a boost and I want to avoid the s/s of aging so I've been doing this over the past week.

I don't need to lose anymore but want the DD calories low so I get the benefit.
Struggle w the UD because my digestion is so slow that I can't eat large/fatty meals....one of the things I'd like to correct.

Hopefully my body will correct.
I'm looking forward to the two week mark in hopes that I'll see at least some improvement.

So anyone see health improvement other than weight loss?

More energy, less wrinkles, softer skin AND my Fibro is totally under control!! :jumpjoy:

JUDDD works because it is a science and if not done properly, it doesn't work as well. This means that you should eat close or up to your calorie ceiling on you UDs. This doesn't mean you need to eat large/fatty meals. I don't use a lot of fat in any of my meals and I still manage to get my calories close to my UDs through fruits, veggies, lean meats and grains.

If you not looking to lose weight then I suggest you do the JUDDD calculator at 55% or 60% for maintenance at your body weight now and see what you will get. That is what I am doing and I have had to adjust the numbers a tad bit higher because I was still l losing weight. I eat 900 DDs and 1,800 UDs and my weight is steady as she goes! :up:

sophiethecat 11-07-2011 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 15156930)
I have a patient I recommended JUDDD to--she had terrible asthma and JUDDD has been a miracle for her--

Hi Ouizoid, do you know when it started helping her asthma, like how many days or weeks into JUDDD until she started noticing improvement? Just curious. Thanks.

jem51 11-08-2011 07:58 AM

Beeb, the main way I manipulate my calories is via fat (throw in some chocolate, nut butter, possible a little starch).

There was a time when I was vegetarian/macrobiotic when I measured everything and maintained on 1000 cal/day and my health was terrible and became more so.
Granted, rice and beans may not be the ideal building blocks....

Point being that I want the health benefits of fasting ('F' word in my mind), which means, at least to me, that cals need to be lower by quite a bit on DD.

Thanks for the replies.

SoHappy 11-08-2011 03:14 PM

Hi, jem!

I'm in my second year of JUDDD and maintaining. I'm 68 years old, hypothyroid for most of my adult life, and also diagnosed with fibromyalgia and arthritis, both several years before starting JUDDD.

I stuck with low carb despite not losing weight on it, and finally went to strictly an old-fashioned low calorie diet to lose some weight. I was obese, and very unhappy about it. I hated being fat. (I hadn't yet heard of JUDDD, despite having read many length-of-life/calorie restriction studies over the years. Don't know why I didn't take it upon myself to eat that way years ago. LOL)

I continued with my weight loss on JUDDD down to my current weight, which I don't put a number on LOL but that's me in my avatar pic. I could be slimmer according to the charts, but at my age, too much weight loss leaves me more heavily wrinkled than I care to face in the mirror, so I've found a weight I feel balanced at, happy enough. :laugh:

Here is what I found had happened to me, and it is such a common occurrence for dieters it should almost be expected, and yet we seem to wonder at it every time: I reduced my calories every single day and held them down, and I lost weight. After awhile, my metabolism slowed down to the average area I was eating at. Nothing to keep it revved up, after all.

So, in order to continue to lose weight, I had to lower my calories even lower! :eek: And as I continued to eat scant calories each day, I managed to tell my brain that I was facing a time of famine, and it oh-so-helpfully slowed my metabolism down even more, in order to save me from starvation! :annoyed:

It wasn't until JUDDD that I realized the importance of doing two things at the same time: I needed to balance the required calorie level for weight loss, with my need to keep my brain thinking I had access to all the food in the world. I have been able to increase my metabolic burn rate on JUDDD, so I am now able to eat more calories than previously without regaining lots of fat, and that's something that amazes me at this age!

I've found that JUDDD has normalized my appetite. I am almost always pretty comfortable with fasting at about 500 calories on my Down Days (occasionally higher than that as I'm in maintenance now). My appetite is appropriate for an UD, not run-away.

Having my metabolism improved and feeling my appetite to be functioning in what I would call a more *normal* manner are two wonderful things for me.

I am rarely in fibro pain anymore. My arthritis bothers me a great deal less. So experiencing so much less pain these days is a Godsend. As I go deeper into the 60s and near the 70s, I feel better than I have in many years! I think JUDDD's ability to reduce inflammation is responsible for this result.

Additionally, I used to have a stuffy nose most of the time. Never did know what caused that, but it's pretty much gone now.

As to skin... mine is just old, so I'd never judge it very kindly these days JUDDD or no JUDDD! :laugh:

The biggest gift this calorie cycling fasting/feasting DD/UD way of eating has given me is a great sense of mental wellness and health! I'm certain I am being given many physical benefits, but the mental health aspects should not be overlooked!

I have more strength and vigor and vitality now than I did just a few years past. I experience my days with a greater sense of joy and calm serenity, a greater sense of general well being.

I have come to appreciate my Down Days for the rest they provide for my body, and for that lovely empty flat-belly feeling that fasting without hunger gives us. And I have to come to appreciate my Up Days for the freedom I now have to live life without food lists, of what I have to include, of what I am forbidden to eat.

I absolutely DO pay attention to my Up Day calories, and would no more do UDs without watching my calories than the Man in the Moon! I'd like to think that merely doing 3 or 4 Down Days a week would make the whole thing work for me like waving a wand, but the JUDDD magic only works for me when I respect my UD calorie number as well as doing the Down Days. So I do. Like I said... I got tired of being a fat person.

So that's what JUDDD has done for me so far. I sure like knowing that when the Holiday feasts are on the tables, I'll be able to enjoy some of everything I want! Hope it gives you the benefits you are wanting too. I love it!

jem51 11-08-2011 05:49 PM

Thanks, Pat.
That's what I need to hear.
I just turned 60 so the wrinkles are what they are.

I've had some odd discomfort for years now...undiagnosed. Skin pain is what I call it because it's kind of like having a sunburn and it changes locations. Very strange.

As soon as my age changed, I developed sacroilliac joint pain. It is from physical work but I never developed it before.
I also have issues that never completely corrected after my many vegetarian years.

After LC'ing for years and enjoying the food, I still eat pretty well so that's not the issue.
I just need something to boost my energy, heal my soreness, and keep me from being one of my patients....I am a hospice RN.

I saw the thread on blood sugar which I'd like to improve as well. It's the FBG that does not want to line up.

Thanks, again. I want to have your enthusiasm about JUDDD.

SoHappy 11-08-2011 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jem51 (Post 15160320)
Thanks, Pat.
That's what I need to hear.
I just turned 60 so the wrinkles are what they are.

I've had some odd discomfort for years now...undiagnosed. Skin pain is what I call it because it's kind of like having a sunburn and it changes locations. Very strange.

As soon as my age changed, I developed sacroilliac joint pain. It is from physical work but I never developed it before.
I also have issues that never completely corrected after my many vegetarian years.

After LC'ing for years and enjoying the food, I still eat pretty well so that's not the issue.
I just need something to boost my energy, heal my soreness, and keep me from being one of my patients....I am a hospice RN.

I saw the thread on blood sugar which I'd like to improve as well. It's the FBG that does not want to line up.

Thanks, again. I want to have your enthusiasm about JUDDD.

My New Friend, I believe you will come to have this enthusiasm about JUDDD too.

I am not one who believes in a *free* UD... at least for me. Now that I mostly maintain, I am more likely to have some free UDs, but I'm pretty good about keeping tabs on my eating even then, and I often still weigh out most everything, just to keep my calories where I really need them to be. I actually use an electric postal scale LOLOLOL... but I strongly advise folks to truly get a good kitchen scale and use it.

I guess the thing about this for me is.. I'm not ever going back there! I hated it. I don't ever want to be fat again! I'm treating this like it's of value to me. Because it is.

And you know.. I have to eat. I have to live each day. Until I die, I'm here, living my life. So that being the case, why not pay attention? Why not take a little bit of care with my food amounts each day, so that as my life continues, I remain able to enjoy it at a weight I feel pretty good at? Why couldn't I do that for myself?

You are at a slimmer weight than I went to. You look wonderful! Trim as a girl! So what you want to do is let the magic of a fasting/feasting eating cycle work some healing to your physical health, and spark your mental health at the same time. I expect that will happen for you, so look forward to that!

sophiethecat 11-09-2011 11:08 AM

I've been taking no allergy meds on DD - don't seem to need them too much, and hoping I can reduce the pills even more with time.