Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nik Nik
Stats: 196 / 185/ 165
WOE: Atkins/JUDDD
Start Date: 10/20/2011
Talk me down please..about to jump

Stayed on plan all weekend...no cheating, period. Had good UD and DD even over the weekend...and I will admit...I didn't drink nearly enough water, but I DID drink water...

And today I've gained back about 4 POUNDS!!!! WTH???

I'm trying not to give up...I mean I really don't have anything else to go back to anyway...maybe it's the water intake that did it...but I just don't understand.

I'm tired everyone...I need the weight to come off...and while I do feel a little different...no sizes have been dropped....

I'm on a DD today and keeping with the plan....but I'm just frustrated...I think I'd feel better if I at least had some pie ....a reason for the gain...

Ahh well....DD for me...sticking to shakes today and a LC dinner of chicken and spinach salad....

10/19/2011--began the rest of my life...again!
196/185/165- New goal!

Nik Nik is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: shari
Stats: 252/186/179-mini goal
WOE: Atkins
Sorry about the gain, by today being a DD I'm assuming yesterday was an UD? If so, that gain could easily be due to sodium or the cells holding on to water before a nice whoosh come your way. I'm very new to JUDDD so the vets can probably help more. I'm glad you're not giving up and sticking it through today.
shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Hey Nik, glad you're sticking with it today! I think Shari is right - this is probably water weight from your UD yesterday. Some people have water gain from higher carbs on UD.

I find all sorts of fluxuations in my weight depending on what time of day I weigh. For example, if I weigh as soon as I get up, I'm usually a pound or two heavier than if I don't weigh until 10 min. after I get up! And that's after I've started drinking coffee. So try not to let the weight freak you out. Look for the downward trends. Because many people see a "bouncing ball effect" with JUDDD, like Pat (SoHappy says). A ball bouncing down the stairs will go up and down as it bounces, but the overall effect is that it will go down the stairs.

I forget, how long have you been with JUDDD? Your stat says Oct. 20 but I didn't know if that's when you started Atkins or JUDDD.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:43 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori-s
Stats: 176.8/148.9/150 - 5'10"
WOE: JUDDD
Nik Nik

Don't fret. I came over to JUDD from very low carb and just decided that I was going to go for it ... knowing that I would gain water weight if I increased my carbs. It was tough to watch the scale go up but, I just kept telling myself that it's water weight and it will even out ... just give it a little time. Here is what my week looked like when I included increased carbs and basically ate pretty much what I wanted (including some sugar and grains!). Please note that the 163.9 at the end of the week is a new low for me.

Started: 165.5
After first UD: 164.4
After first DD: 166.6
UD: 168.8
DD: 168.8
UD: 166.8
DD: 165.7
UD: 165.4
DD: 163.9

I'm hoping that this might give you a little light at the end of the tunnel. Hang on and keep on plan. I bet you will do great.
Lori-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Hey Nik, glad you're sticking with it today! I think Shari is right - this is probably water weight from your UD yesterday. Some people have water gain from higher carbs on UD.

I find all sorts of fluxuations in my weight depending on what time of day I weigh. For example, if I weigh as soon as I get up, I'm usually a pound or two heavier than if I don't weigh until 10 min. after I get up! And that's after I've started drinking coffee. So try not to let the weight freak you out. Look for the downward trends. Because many people see a "bouncing ball effect" with JUDDD, like Pat (SoHappy says). A ball bouncing down the stairs will go up and down as it bounces, but the overall effect is that it will go down the stairs.

I forget, how long have you been with JUDDD? Your stat says Oct. 20 but I didn't know if that's when you started Atkins or JUDDD.
This is technically my second week of JUDDD....and I could accept the gain after my UD yesterday....but I also had a gain after my DD on Saturday

I didn't expect that and I think that's what's bothering me so much...
Old 11-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori-s View Post
Nik Nik

Don't fret. I came over to JUDD from very low carb and just decided that I was going to go for it ... knowing that I would gain water weight if I increased my carbs. It was tough to watch the scale go up but, I just kept telling myself that it's water weight and it will even out ... just give it a little time. Here is what my week looked like when I included increased carbs and basically ate pretty much what I wanted (including some sugar and grains!). Please note that the 163.9 at the end of the week is a new low for me.

Started: 165.5
After first UD: 164.4
After first DD: 166.6
UD: 168.8
DD: 168.8
UD: 166.8
DD: 165.7
UD: 165.4
DD: 163.9

I'm hoping that this might give you a little light at the end of the tunnel. Hang on and keep on plan. I bet you will do great.
That looks GREAT!! But here's the thing....I didn't add back any extra carbs WTH?? LOL!! I'm still under 20g.....maybe I should?
Old 11-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: traceym1
I find it odd also. I dropped 3 lbs since adding carbs back and just began this way of eating. I feel so natural and content for the first time, so maybe that has something to do with it. According to the book I am reading by Thomas Sharkey, this is suppose to become a habit so not to omitt foods that we plan to eat or that we tend to binge on when we so call "cheat" on our diets. The book is really good BTW.
I have only weighed once and i expect flutuactions but what about the idea of weighing daily in the mornings and then dividing your week by 7 and then that would be what we go by weekly?
traceym1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wallee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nik View Post
That looks GREAT!! But here's the thing....I didn't add back any extra carbs WTH?? LOL!! I'm still under 20g.....maybe I should?
Nik, you've been my inspiration, keep your chin up!! I started over the weekend and I allowed carbs. I didn't weigh myself after my UD (that would be discouraging to me lol) but did weigh this morning and I weighed the same as I did a week ago while on lc induction. Try adding the carbs, you'll probably be fine with them but you won't know til you try. Don't jump......Stick with it, you got this girl!!!
Wallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori-s
Stats: 176.8/148.9/150 - 5'10"
Quote:
Nik Nik

Here was my thinking ... FWIW ... and Lord knows my brain isn't always right on track! I added back the carbs because I expect that once I'm in maintaining mode these are the things I'm going to be eating. I wanted my body to get used to them. I was very strictly under 20 carbs and not losing at all .. had been stuck and bouncing up and down on the scale, never getting below 165 and sometimes bouncing up to 170 - on only 10 - 20 carbs. I think it's possible that adding the carbs, while at first causing water weight, might have actually been what my body needed to take the next step.

I'm not saying that is true for everyone but, I think it worked for me. And while at first I intended to add the carbs back slowly, I said what the heck ... go for it and see what happens. I figured I could always back it down if I needed to. I had just gotten to the point that I was willing to take the risk. Now on my UDs I'm usually between 50 and 100 carbs ... mostly in the 50s, but, I'm losing and enjoying my food. Yesterday my carbs were at 94 because I had a Cinnamon Raisin Bagel at breakfast and Ice Cream before bed to get my calories up. But, still this morning I'm at the same 163.9lbs. Can't beat that. Maybe sometimes thing just need to be shaken up.

I know how frustrating the bounces are for you. Please, stick it out. I wish you even more success than I have had ... truly!
Lori-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori-s View Post
Nik Nik

Here was my thinking ... FWIW ... and Lord knows my brain isn't always right on track! I added back the carbs because I expect that once I'm in maintaining mode these are the things I'm going to be eating. I wanted my body to get used to them. I was very strictly under 20 carbs and not losing at all .. had been stuck and bouncing up and down on the scale, never getting below 165 and sometimes bouncing up to 170 - on only 10 - 20 carbs. I think it's possible that adding the carbs, while at first causing water weight, might have actually been what my body needed to take the next step.

I'm not saying that is true for everyone but, I think it worked for me. And while at first I intended to add the carbs back slowly, I said what the heck ... go for it and see what happens. I figured I could always back it down if I needed to. I had just gotten to the point that I was willing to take the risk. Now on my UDs I'm usually between 50 and 100 carbs ... mostly in the 50s, but, I'm losing and enjoying my food. Yesterday my carbs were at 94 because I had a Cinnamon Raisin Bagel at breakfast and Ice Cream before bed to get my calories up. But, still this morning I'm at the same 163.9lbs. Can't beat that. Maybe sometimes thing just need to be shaken up.

I know how frustrating the bounces are for you. Please, stick it out. I wish you even more success than I have had ... truly!
Yes, for me I lost weight after adding back carbs - what I would consider a generous amount. The loss was soooo slow on LC for the most part, but when my body got carbs again, it was happy to let go of weight. Don't know that will be the case for everyone, but looks like at least 2 of us had the same result
Old 11-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallee View Post
Nik, you've been my inspiration, keep your chin up!! I started over the weekend and I allowed carbs. I didn't weigh myself after my UD (that would be discouraging to me lol) but did weigh this morning and I weighed the same as I did a week ago while on lc induction. Try adding the carbs, you'll probably be fine with them but you won't know til you try. Don't jump......Stick with it, you got this girl!!!
Oh I'm not giving up Wallee...LOL...I just want to understand and make sure I'm doing this the right way...I think I'm going to stay off the scale until Friday...it will be the morning after a DD and hopefully I'll get below 188 this week by just sticking to the plan.

Staying away from carbs because I don't want the trigger...the overeating that comes from it...but I MIGHT add some bran cereal in the mornings...that worked wonders for me last time on LC for many reasons...LOL

Not quitting...you're right... WE got this!!!!
Old 11-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Oh I'm not giving up Wallee...LOL...I just want to understand and make sure I'm doing this the right way...I think I'm going to stay off the scale until Friday...it will be the morning after a DD and hopefully I'll get below 188 this week by just sticking to the plan.

Staying away from carbs because I don't want the trigger...the overeating that comes from it...but I MIGHT add some bran cereal in the mornings...that worked wonders for me last time on LC for many reasons...LOL

Not quitting...you're right... WE got this!!!!
Way to go, Nik!

And remember that adding carbs doesn't have to mean adding sugar, cake, candy, etc. It can be all the veggies you perhaps were omitting on LC or some fruit, or some whole grains.

Have a good day, Nik!
Old 11-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Way to go, Nik!

And remember that adding carbs doesn't have to mean adding sugar, cake, candy, etc. It can be all the veggies you perhaps were omitting on LC or some fruit, or some whole grains.

Have a good day, Nik!
Hmmm....I think I'm pretty good on the veggies...but I sure do miss my tomatoes...think those might just make a come back this week
Old 11-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Nik Nik--

just want to give you my support, girl!!!

Are you eating any extra psyllium or other fibers?
My first week of JUDDD, I actually gained 3lbs after a couple DDs...!
From all that fiber!!! But then it passed... and I started losing.

I'm just ending my 4th week of JUDDD and I'm down almost 12lbs!!!
It took me 3 or 4 months of LC to lose 8lbs...
You can do it!!!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #15
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Hey Nik Nik, how about posting a menu for us and your calories for you UDs and DDs from this weekend.

I have a feeling you are holding onto water either from salt or fiber OR your calories aren't as spread out as they should be for JUDDD or you aren't eating enough on your UDs.

Hope we can help!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Okey Dokey:

Saturday - DD
B- Shake - 100
L- baked chicken, squash, and green beans - 490
D- Shake - 100
Total: 690 -

BUT- at 2:00AM Sunday UD I went and had IHOP...bacon, eggs, cheese, spinach, and sausage - menu said 580 cals
Lunch- Beef Brisket with Broccoli - 646 cals
Dinner- Finished the leftover Brisket with the Broccoli - 480 cals
Snack - Shake - 100 cals
Total: 1806

And very little water.....

Probably shouldn't have weighed after the UD...but since there aren't many carbs I just didn't expect the gain I guess...

Also, not taking any extra fiber....

Thanks in advance everyone...maybe my DD cals are too high??
Old 11-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #17
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Watching with you and wishing you some losses soon.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Watching with you and wishing you some losses soon.
Thanks Kissa!! My book came today, so I'm going to actually read a book and find out what the heck I'm supposed to be doing...I think I know...I think I'm not getting enough UD calories and that could make it a problem...

I'm also wondering if I should cut back on my DD calories and just stay under 500 instead of pushing it to 600....

Salad here I come...LOL!
Old 11-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Decisions Made for attacking week #2

1- DD calories need to be reduced down to 500 or BELOW

2- UD calories need to be INcreased to 2000 - period

3- Soup is going to be my new DD best friend...

I can't deal with the complications of calorie counting ingredients in my salad or whatever....any WOE for me has to be easy and simple...one of the main reasons I love LC so much...very easy to know what I can and can't have...

So...I'll be drowning myself in water...and eating soup for dinner and my shakes for breakfast and lunch....

Let's see those pounds try to stick to me now!! GET OFF ME!!!

If you see anything wrong about this please please let me know....
Old 11-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks Kissa!! My book came today, so I'm going to actually read a book and find out what the heck I'm supposed to be doing...I think I know...I think I'm not getting enough UD calories and that could make it a problem...

I'm also wondering if I should cut back on my DD calories and just stay under 500 instead of pushing it to 600....

Salad here I come...LOL!
I am thinking the same thing. You see the gap between UD calories and DD calories should be pretty wide. What I would like to suggest is you up your UD calories by 100 and leave the DD at 600 and see what happens.

The other thing is IHop. I DON'T trust nutritional values on these types of places, but that is just me. I tend to add calories to what they say just for good measure.

Good luck and I'll be looking for your posts and really hoping you can find the numbers that will work for you!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Old 11-07-2011, 02:19 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
I am thinking the same thing. You see the gap between UD calories and DD calories should be pretty wide. What I would like to suggest is you up your UD calories by 100 and leave the DD at 600 and see what happens.

The other thing is IHop. I DON'T trust nutritional values on these types of places, but that is just me. I tend to add calories to what they say just for good measure.

Good luck and I'll be looking for your posts and really hoping you can find the numbers that will work for you!
Thanks Beeb - I think I can do with that...the gap isn't that wide when I'm doing 600-1800...so I think the UD's at 1900-2000 ought to make more of an impact...at least we'll see come Friday!

OH!! And IHOP omelets...do you know they're made with PANCAKE BATTER added! I ordered mine without, but that was a shocker for me!! Glad I only ate half the omelet..the cals shown above were for the whole thing cuz I don't trust it either

Thank you so much!!!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Thanks Beeb - I think I can do with that...the gap isn't that wide when I'm doing 600-1800...so I think the UD's at 1900-2000 ought to make more of an impact...at least we'll see come Friday!

OH!! And IHOP omelets...do you know they're made with PANCAKE BATTER added! I ordered mine without, but that was a shocker for me!! Glad I only ate half the omelet..the cals shown above were for the whole thing cuz I don't trust it either

Thank you so much!!!
Sound like the perfect plan to me!!
Old 11-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
I just want to root you on. Even with the 4 pound regain you've lost as much as it's taken me 8 weeks to lose. I think your tweaks sound great, and I KNOW that 4 pound bounce up will bounce right back down for you.
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
OK, I've been on about 6 different threads in here tonight, and I seriously have to get to bed...
But, I can't believe how much you are all helping me. I started JUDDD three weeks ago and lost 4.5 lbs. the first week, and maintained the last two weeks.
I was very upset--but reading all your questions and responses has really helped me. One last question--I have not been "regular" since starting this WOE-- Should I be adding in much more fiber or something? I keep wondering if that's part of my problem.
THANKS MUCH IN ADVANCE--you guys are awesome!!
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsam1156 View Post
OK, I've been on about 6 different threads in here tonight, and I seriously have to get to bed...
But, I can't believe how much you are all helping me. I started JUDDD three weeks ago and lost 4.5 lbs. the first week, and maintained the last two weeks.
I was very upset--but reading all your questions and responses has really helped me. One last question--I have not been "regular" since starting this WOE-- Should I be adding in much more fiber or something? I keep wondering if that's part of my problem.
I have the same problem you do, always have, especially when I did LC but I found either more fiber or just taking a probiotic everyday now does the trick. Flax is a good one to get things "moving" and so are green, leafy veggies!
Old 11-08-2011, 04:43 AM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
I sometimes take a magnesium pill - or if I take those regularly, I up the dosage. I usually take it at night and results are in the morning. I also agree on the salads...really helps. Occasionally I'll eat those low carb tortillas which are mostly fiber too.
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:09 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mizzcase
Stats: 5'4 141/130.2/113
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: March 20, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsam1156 View Post
I take a half dose of Miralax every morning in a cup of water.. keeps things regular but doesn't put you on the toilet all day. I was having big problems with staying regular doing LC, so much so that I went to my doctor about it. She suggested the Miralax and I've had no problems since.
mizzcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:47 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
rooting you on!!

I feel your frustration. BELIEVE ME, I understand!!!
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:35 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Good luck! I can sympathize with your frustration because something very similar happened to me. I dropped the DD calories, gained another lb in response (and then decided that intermittent fasting works better for my body and psyche.) It's great that you have a plan for your next week. Remember that every person is different, and no single WOE will be the perfect approach for each and every person.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:56 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Well everybody they came back off I shouldn't have weighed, but I'm addicted, I'll admit it

But I'm back down to 189 after my DD yesterday, which was awesome by the way....I got soup to hold me over for the next couple DD's and I'm ready to attack this head on!!!

I'm going to post another thread because I read the book last night and it gave me some insight into things that I just had wrong....check it out and let me know your thoughts...meanwhile...thank you all for keeping me off the ledge