Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: jiggles
Okay, I'm getting back at it...

but I need to get off of sugar!! I don't really have a point to this post. I just feel like I need to write it out.

Here's my backstory. I lost 20 lbs. last winter while doing a weight loss challenge for 3 months at work. I used JUDDD & exercise. The challenge really kept me motivated because there were only 10 of us and because we were a pretty close group we didn't keep the weekly losses or gains anonymous. (Our weights weren't told though). Well, I certainly didn't want to see my name listed with a gain any week so I kept myself in line. I actually ended up in 2nd place and lost the challenge by probably less than 1/2 a lb. Well, after the challenge was over I stuck with JUDDD for a while but let my DD's creep up too high so I stopped losing. Then I stopped doing DD's and over the summer & fall I have regained about 8 lbs.

I need to get back on track because I still need to lose about 30 lbs (with that darn 8 I gained back!). I liked JUDDD because it was so nice to only have to count calories (which I detest!) every other day and counting up to just 500 was a breeze.

However, even though I know it's okay to eat whatever I want on JUDDD I know I have been eating way too much sugar & processed crap. So, last week I decided I was going to try a low carb plan (not Atkins but more my own thing). I went grocery shopping this weekend and got a bunch of stuff & need to do some cooking today.

Well, over the weekend I have been reading this forum & the main lobby. The main lobby actually makes me realize that I can't do strict low carb because I refuse to fret over having a meal out or being offered a cookie or whatever. But I still need to get off the junk food so instead of saying that I'm going to low carb I am going to try a more "whole foods" approach. And I'm going to do this along with JUDDD because that is the only plan that I have actually been able to stick too and didn't feel completely miserable & deprived on.

I am going to lay off the breads & pastas for while but eventually it would be nice to be able to add them back in but only in smaller amounts. I really don't want to rely on them as the main part of my diet as I do now.

Hopefully I won't find combining these 2 approaches too difficult. I've read posts on the main lobby where people talk about eating a cookie and it throws them off plan for months. I don't want to end up that way or have to tell myself that I can't ever eat something ever again because that just isn't feasible for me.

Anyway, like I said, there's no real purpose to this post. Just needed to babble again. Thanks for listening.
jiggles is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
back

I have the same approach. I did great on LC but if I went off plan I would gain two weeks worth of weight overnight and it was just far to discouraging. Plus all my family and friends got really tired of me obsessing over carbs.

I have always been a big believer in whole foods, non processed products, good old fashioned cooking and as much organic as I can afford.

This is the approach I make. I do have carbs but do it at a mid level and try to stick to whole grains and usually only at one of the meals. I eat alot of veggies and that brings my carb level up but it is working so far.

I think it is completely do-able. I find sugar is my biggest issue, it is like a gateway food to just overall bad eating.
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #3

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggles View Post
but I need to get off of sugar!! I don't really have a point to this post. I just feel like I need to write it out.

Here's my backstory. I lost 20 lbs. last winter while doing a weight loss challenge for 3 months at work. I used JUDDD & exercise. The challenge really kept me motivated because there were only 10 of us and because we were a pretty close group we didn't keep the weekly losses or gains anonymous. (Our weights weren't told though). Well, I certainly didn't want to see my name listed with a gain any week so I kept myself in line. I actually ended up in 2nd place and lost the challenge by probably less than 1/2 a lb. Well, after the challenge was over I stuck with JUDDD for a while but let my DD's creep up too high so I stopped losing. Then I stopped doing DD's and over the summer & fall I have regained about 8 lbs.

I need to get back on track because I still need to lose about 30 lbs (with that darn 8 I gained back!). I liked JUDDD because it was so nice to only have to count calories (which I detest!) every other day and counting up to just 500 was a breeze.

However, even though I know it's okay to eat whatever I want on JUDDD I know I have been eating way too much sugar & processed crap. So, last week I decided I was going to try a low carb plan (not Atkins but more my own thing). I went grocery shopping this weekend and got a bunch of stuff & need to do some cooking today.

Well, over the weekend I have been reading this forum & the main lobby. The main lobby actually makes me realize that I can't do strict low carb because I refuse to fret over having a meal out or being offered a cookie or whatever. But I still need to get off the junk food so instead of saying that I'm going to low carb I am going to try a more "whole foods" approach. And I'm going to do this along with JUDDD because that is the only plan that I have actually been able to stick too and didn't feel completely miserable & deprived on.

I am going to lay off the breads & pastas for while but eventually it would be nice to be able to add them back in but only in smaller amounts. I really don't want to rely on them as the main part of my diet as I do now.

Hopefully I won't find combining these 2 approaches too difficult. I've read posts on the main lobby where people talk about eating a cookie and it throws them off plan for months. I don't want to end up that way or have to tell myself that I can't ever eat something ever again because that just isn't feasible for me.

Anyway, like I said, there's no real purpose to this post. Just needed to babble again. Thanks for listening.
Welcome back! Welcome back! This JUDDD forum has just grown by leaps and bounds, and we are being kept upbeat and excited on a daily basis by weight losses that just keep going!

And I want to add.. if you've only gained 8 pounds over the summer and fall from being off a plan, I think you have done remarkably well. I'd be up far more than that! I'll bet you can have that off in very short order!

May I ask if you hold to about 500 calories on your DDs? And also, do you have an UD calorie ceiling number, which you try to come up close to for the most part, but which you also try not to go over? In other words, to you pay attention to UDs and count calories, even loosely, on those days?

It will be wonderful having an old hand at JUDDD back here again! I know you will be enjoying weight loss again very shortly, and.. yeah.. we really do enjoy eating all the lovely foods of the world on our UDs. As long as I respect my UD calorie ceiling number, the world of food is all spread out for my choosing! I sure do love UDs!

Last edited by SoHappy; 11-06-2011 at 12:00 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #4

Kris4chloe, it's nice to know that you are you mixing the whole foods approach with JUDDD also.

SoHappy, I think because I would throw in an occasional DD every now and then is what helped to not regain everything I lost.

On my DD's I stay at 500 calories or less. And if I work out I don't add any calories in for that. When I was really sticking with JUDDD during my work's challenge I did not count calories on my UD. The reason I chose to try JUDDD was because I did not want to have to count calories every day. I find that really tedious. I do know how many calories are in a lot of the foods I eat though so I had a general idea of what I was taking in. On UD's I mainly just tried to use the Intuitive Eating approach so that I wouldn't overeat. I figured I would wait to see if my weight loss stalled before I would get all concerned about my UD calories. Then I would have something to tweak.

Thanks for the welcome backs! I love that there are so many upbeat, supportive people on this forum!
Old 11-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kel7298
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: 5:2
Start Date: October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggles View Post

Welcome back Giggles. I also found my way back to JUDDD. So far I have lost 4lbs in about 2 weeks.
kel7298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
and so good to see you over here with us! I think you are going to do great on JUDDD and it seems you are already the plan and have things well in hand!

WTG and looking forward to reading your progress!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Jiggles! So nice to meet you!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #8

Thanks everyone!

Today is an UD for me and while that's never been a problem I have been trying to keep today low carb. It's going good so far but that's probably only because I had only a certain about of food to eat at work. Tonight will be the real challenge. I've already got a taco salad planned for dinner so I will just need to stay away from the sweets!
Old 11-09-2011, 01:38 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
jiggles!
I have the EXACT same problem as you do! I LOVE sugar--I'm going to try to stay true to my UD totals and also try to make some fruit desserts and such so I won't be eating sugar all the time.
Great to have you here--and you are correct--enthusiastic and supportive describe the JUDDD group to a Tee!

Last edited by pjsam1156; 11-09-2011 at 01:40 PM..
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #10

Well, my DD yesterday was good. Kept it way under 500 calories but I was at work from 8 AM to 10 PM and I stuck with only the food I brought, which was a plain chicken breast & broccoli for lunch and an Atkins bar for dinner. I even passed up the Pizza Hut pizza my boss brought in for lunch.

The low carb thing is kind of a bust for me though. For me, it's bad enough on my DDs to say "Oh, I can eat that tomorrow" but to now think "Oh, I can't eat that because it's too high in carbs" on top of the other thinking is just too much. Telling myself I can't have something is only making me want it more. Today I had a small ice cream sunday at some employee appreciation thing at work. You know what? It was GOOD and I enjoyed it! And now tonight I've decided that since I had a treat today I don't need more sugar for dinner. I'll just have a some of the Just Like Twice Baked Potatoes for dinner. I just need to keep reminding myself that I can't go overboard on the treats and make it sink in.

Another DD tomorrow. I'm not sure what I'm going to eat yet but I know I can make it through the day.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kel7298
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: 5:2
Start Date: October 2011
I don't follow LC on Juddd. I just eat what I want...within reason that is
kel7298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #12

That's what I did the first time I was on JUDDD. I didn't seem to have any problems losing weight at the time.

For some reason I've really been on a sugar kick for the past few months so I thought maybe low carb would help me get over it but now I'm thinking that maybe I just need to let myself give in every once in a while and set my mind on the fact that I don't need it all the time.