Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 05:49 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori-s
Stats: 176.8/148.9/150 - 5'10"
WOE: JUDDD
First Week Progress Report

OK ... so ...

I am now at my new low!! 163.9

I do want to let everyone know how it was getting there this first week. I came here during my 5th week of Atkins induction. I did Atkins in 2001 and had great success. I kept my weight between 150 - 152 until last year when I had some medical problems. During my 5th week of induction this time around I realized that I had been stuck in the 165lb range for 3 1/2 almost 4 weeks. UGH! So during that week I investigated on the internet and came across JUDD. I am officially done with my first week and for those coming from low carb I do wanted to let you know that for me, this first week has been a roller coaster ride on the scale. Here are how my numbers went since starting JUDD: (also please note that I am dealing with a very messed up metabolism after medical treatments)

Started: 165.5
After first UD: 164.4
After first DD: 166.6
UD: 168.8
DD: 168.8
UD: 166.8
DD: 165.7
UD: 165.4
DD: 163.9

I think that some of it is just adjusting to having higher carb intake and I'm ok with the ups so long as the downs come. I'd much rather deal with that than to have to deal with forbidden foods and hating it. So while at first glance it looks like I only lost a little weight ... during the week I lost more but, most of all, I am at a new low, no longer stuck in the 165s and loving the way I'm eating. Woo Hoo!

Last edited by Lori-s; 11-06-2011 at 05:50 AM..
Lori-s is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2011, 05:52 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: shari
Stats: 252/186.6/169-mini goal
WOE: very low carb
Congrats!! You're so close to the 150's!!
shari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:52 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Congrats on reaching a new low!
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:04 AM   #4

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori-s View Post
I think that some of it is just adjusting to having higher carb intake and I'm ok with the ups so long as the downs come. I'd much rather deal with that than to have to deal with forbidden foods and hating it. So while at first glance it looks like I only lost a little weight ... during the week I lost more but, most of all, I am at a new low, no longer stuck in the 165s and loving the way I'm eating. Woo Hoo!
Congratulations on your NEW LOW, Lori! That's so exciting, and I'm so happy you came to JUDDD and can add yourself to all the successes here. Woo Hoo!

I wanted to comment on your statement above. It's hard and scary sometimes for folks who have come from low carbing and who decide to expand their diet with some additional carbohydrate foods, to truly know what's going on because the scale can't tell them that they're losing fat, since they're often not losing weight. As they are losing fat weight, they are filling up with water weight, and those two things are canceling each other out on the scale.

I'm glad that you weren't unduly upset to see those upticks in water weight regain reflected on the scale, love the way you're getting to eat now, and are at a new low, all from starting JUDDD! Congratulations, once again. I'm happy for you!

Last edited by SoHappy; 11-06-2011 at 06:05 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kel7298
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: 5:2
Start Date: October 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori-s View Post
OK ... so ...

I am now at my new low!! 163.9
!
awesomeness!
kel7298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:22 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
2# in a week is AMAZING loss to me! Congrats!

And I love how you took the initial gain of water weight in stride and kept going. Some would have freaked out and left the program, but you stuck it out and were rewarded.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
hey that's great!!!!! congrats!
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinjob
Stats: 157/156/130
WOE: JUDD
Start Date: November 7, 2011 (Did Atkins first in 2001)
Congrats! Like you I did Atkins in 2001 with great success, but this time around I've been on it 4 months and have barely lost 3 lbs overall. The weight just bounces up and down without any real significant long term loss. So I'm giving up on Atkins and switching to JUDD. Your story has inspired me to not give up on my goal, though! Thank you!
Skinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori-s
Stats: 176.8/148.9/150 - 5'10"
Thanks everyone for all the great support and the information that you all have put here to help me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinjob View Post
Congrats! Like you I did Atkins in 2001 with great success, but this time around I've been on it 4 months and have barely lost 3 lbs overall. The weight just bounces up and down without any real significant long term loss. So I'm giving up on Atkins and switching to JUDD. Your story has inspired me to not give up on my goal, though! Thank you!
Skinjob ... Thank you, because helping others is the best way to pay back all the help that has been given to me!

A couple of suggestions:
1. figure out your calorie limits. you can use various online calculators. Try the one on the JUDD website by googling Johnson up day down day diet and try these: Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs and Calorie Calculator . If you sort of average them you can come up with a good idea what numbers will work best for you. I personally use my goal weight not my current weight as my starting number. I found my DD calories too scary to start so I started at the default 500 cals on DD. If you keep track and analyze your numbers as you do this you can adjust those numbers if you feel you need to. I've decided to adjust my numbers down this week because I won't be as active as I was when I started JUDDing. Make sure you eat your UD calories to help get you through the DDs.

2. Find out what works best for your body. For example, on my first 2 DDs I was having a tough time with hunger (who wouldn't be hungry on 500cals?). My worse time was the evening and waking up in the middle of the night after my DD and wanting to start my UD at 2 or 3am. I figured out that I do better if I save my calories for later in the day. I have just coffee in the morning, a late lunch (around 2pm) and dinner around 6 or 7. Then around 8 or 9 I have my bedtime snack. This way I only have to deal with being hungry in the early afternoon, I'm not waking up hungry at night, I'm not starving first thing in the morning on my UD and I have a good few hours of fasting between my UD and DD. I've always been an evening eater anyway so this didn't surprise me.

3. Always remember that DDs are just one day and the very next day you have the freedom to eat what you want. The DDs get easier as you go along. Broths are great low cal life savers if you're having a tough time and just need something in your stomach. Swiss Miss Diet Cocoa has been my regular night time snack every DD, my reward for staying on track. You can do it. It's just one day!

Good luck!!

Last edited by Lori-s; 11-06-2011 at 10:18 AM..
Lori-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for posting that. I'm starving through my second DD here. It was going fine until this evening and the hunger hit me like a ton of bricks. I've been eating celery and broth but it's not helping. So I'm going to go to bed early and look forward to eating tomorrow! I read the book in one night, by the way. I used that counter on the website and came up with some numbers but I am just doing 500 to start and not really counting my UDs. Just eating as much as I need without overeating. I don't think I got enough cals in on my UD yesterday, which could explain my ravenous hunger (and dizziness, tingling) today. I'm also not doing shakes exclusively for the first two weeks even though the good doctor says I will fail if I don't. I've got an iphone app I'm using to track every single calorie. Failure is not an option!
Old 11-09-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
First....WTG Lori s!!! What an inspiration you are for all of us!!

Quote:
Thanks for posting that. I'm starving through my second DD here. It was going fine until this evening and the hunger hit me like a ton of bricks. I've been eating celery and broth but it's not helping. So I'm going to go to bed early and look forward to eating tomorrow! I read the book in one night, by the way. I used that counter on the website and came up with some numbers but I am just doing 500 to start and not really counting my UDs. Just eating as much as I need without overeating. I don't think I got enough cals in on my UD yesterday, which could explain my ravenous hunger (and dizziness, tingling) today. I'm also not doing shakes exclusively for the first two weeks even though the good doctor says I will fail if I don't. I've got an iphone app I'm using to track every single calorie. Failure is not an option!
OK, Skin I gotta say it and forgive me if you have read this from me over and over again: We REALLY need to keep track of calories on both DDs AND UDs. It is the ONLY way to know if we are eating enough, too much or just right (sounds like Goldilocks! ). And the shakes suggestion is just that, a suggestion and lots of us have never done this (me), and have lost fine. AND lots of us have upped our DD calories some ( me again) from the very start and have STILL done fine. If you are not eating enough calories on your UDs your DDs will be a real witch. YOU GOTTA EAT and the right amount.

I hope this helps and I KNOW you will do great on this WOE if you try what I and others have suggested and done.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Erikasmommy
Stats: 179/168/145
WOE: Juddd- just starting
Start Date: Started Juddd 10/20/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post

OK, Skin I gotta say it and forgive me if you have read this from me over and over again: We REALLY need to keep track of calories on both DDs AND UDs. It is the ONLY way to know if we are eating enough, too much or just right (sounds like Goldilocks! ). And the shakes suggestion is just that, a suggestion and lots of us have never done this (me), and have lost fine. AND lots of us have upped our DD calories some ( me again) from the very start and have STILL done fine. If you are not eating enough calories on your UDs your DDs will be a real witch. YOU GOTTA EAT and the right amount.

I hope this helps and I KNOW you will do great on this WOE if you try what I and others have suggested and done.
Beeb, can I ask how many DD calories you started out with? and did you work your way down or did you stay at a higher amount? Sorry for the threadjack!
Erikasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:56 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Erikasmommy
Stats: 179/168/145
WOE: Juddd- just starting
Start Date: Started Juddd 10/20/11
Way to go, Lori! That is awesome!!! I can't wait to get to 163
Erikasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post

On day 4 I am down 2lbs so it's obiviously working but you are right, I should count on the up days as well. I'm not worried about going over but I may indeed not be eating enough. But I just don't want to spend the rest of my life being a calorie counter. That's a miserable existence.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikasmommy View Post
Beeb, can I ask how many DD calories you started out with? and did you work your way down or did you stay at a higher amount? Sorry for the threadjack!
Not Beeb, but I know she started at 700 calories on her DDs because the recommended 500 calories sounded a bit much to attempt to her at the beginning. LOL Better to work back down to that than to just throw in the towel and not do JUDDD at all... know what I mean?

BUT, she never had the chance to go down in calories because she lost the weight so fast she reached goal too soon!

Her problem was that she couldn't keep from losing MORE weight, so she had to keep raising her calories on both days in order to get it to stop! (We should all have that problem... right?)
Old 11-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #16

Quote:
On day 4 I am down 2lbs so it's obiviously working but you are right, I should count on the up days as well. I'm not worried about going over but I may indeed not be eating enough. But I just don't want to spend the rest of my life being a calorie counter. That's a miserable existence.
You know, I don't think you will be. Although as to being miserable, if I had to choose between being fat or counting calories to remain slim and trim, I count calories happily every day for the rest of my life. Being fat made me far, far more miserable! LOL

But here's the thing. As with all weight loss plans, the hardest time, and the most crucial time, is the weight loss part of it. That's why we have to do the calorie counting part so carefully.

Once you get into maintenance, you are usually far freer to be more casual about it. I mean, come on... I have 3 mugs of coffee, each with half & half every morning. Why would I still have to jot down every little calorie. I now know by the shade of my coffee how much cream is in it. I'm just saying, I'm far more casual about my UDs now, in my maintenance, than I was when I was working it, working it, working it to lose the fat.

BUT, I step on the scale each morning still and record the weight, so if that figure is going up a bit too far, I jump on it and I'm back to measuring and tracking calories for a couple of days until I'm golden again!

After awhile, you can pretty accurately eyeball food portions, know what foods are higher in calories, etc. Many of us don't weigh and measure our foods and count the calories any more than we need to, just to stay on track a bit.

Last edited by SoHappy; 11-10-2011 at 04:59 PM..
Old 11-11-2011, 04:56 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
You know, I don't think you will be. Although as to being miserable, if I had to choose between being fat or counting calories to remain slim and trim, I count calories happily every day for the rest of my life. Being fat made me far, far more miserable! LOL

But here's the thing. As with all weight loss plans, the hardest time, and the most crucial time, is the weight loss part of it. That's why we have to do the calorie counting part so carefully.

Once you get into maintenance, you are usually far freer to be more casual about it. I mean, come on... I have 3 mugs of coffee, each with half & half every morning. Why would I still have to jot down every little calorie. I now know by the shade of my coffee how much cream is in it. I'm just saying, I'm far more casual about my UDs now, in my maintenance, than I was when I was working it, working it, working it to lose the fat.

BUT, I step on the scale each morning still and record the weight, so if that figure is going up a bit too far, I jump on it and I'm back to measuring and tracking calories for a couple of days until I'm golden again!

After awhile, you can pretty accurately eyeball food portions, know what foods are higher in calories, etc. Many of us don't weigh and measure our foods and count the calories any more than we need to, just to stay on track a bit.
Gotcha. I'm actually experiencing that wild scale fluctuation. Up FOUR LBS today. Up two from where I started. That's scary! I'm only on day 5 though, so hopefully that's just water. It certainly can't be 4 lbs of fat in one day!
Old 11-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Gotcha. I'm actually experiencing that wild scale fluctuation. Up FOUR LBS today. Up two from where I started. That's scary! I'm only on day 5 though, so hopefully that's just water. It certainly can't be 4 lbs of fat in one day!
Nope. Not fat.

We are so-o-o-o-o attuned to what the scale says, what the scale says, what the scale says, that we really do give it an undue amount of power and influence over our spirit and happiness.

Most of the time when we experience any water regain because of the fact that we've been adding more carbs back into our diets, if we didn't have a scale, we would never know that we'd gained back a bit of our previously lost water weight. It's too bad that scales register anything other than fat, isn't it.

I hope you won't even worry about it, and just know that if your calorie numbers are right, and you respect your calorie ceilings, you will pretty much be able to relax for the rest of your life. JUDDD isn't a super fast plan, but it's pretty darned good considering you're eating High on the Hog every other day!

Good luck. I don't think it will be very long before you'll be reporting your losses to us!
Old 11-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 142/119.6/115
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: April 2014
Lori I thought you should know seeing your stats is what made me start JUDDD today. You inspired me.
Idreamofweightloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Nope. Not fat.

We are so-o-o-o-o attuned to what the scale says, what the scale says, what the scale says, that we really do give it an undue amount of power and influence over our spirit and happiness.

Most of the time when we experience any water regain because of the fact that we've been adding more carbs back into our diets, if we didn't have a scale, we would never know that we'd gained back a bit of our previously lost water weight. It's too bad that scales register anything other than fat, isn't it.

I hope you won't even worry about it, and just know that if your calorie numbers are right, and you respect your calorie ceilings, you will pretty much be able to relax for the rest of your life. JUDDD isn't a super fast plan, but it's pretty darned good considering you're eating High on the Hog every other day!

Good luck. I don't think it will be very long before you'll be reporting your losses to us!
I wasn't worried and those extra water lbs, along with another, .5 left this morning. I'm down 3 lbs as of Day 6. I've learned not to weigh after UDs. And I took your advice and starting tracking everything. Want to do this right!
Old 11-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #21

Quote:
I wasn't worried and those extra water lbs, along with another, .5 left this morning. I'm down 3 lbs as of Day 6. I've learned not to weigh after UDs. And I took your advice and starting tracking everything. Want to do this right!
OMG.. what great progress right off the bat!

If you are tracking everything and not panicky over JUDDD's wild weight fluctuations, you've got it made! I think you are going to do very, very well on this plan!
Old 11-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/120/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Lori - Wonderful week you have had!

I just cannot get on the scale too often as at times it is depressing and off the diet i go

I will not step on until November 16, I started on Novemeber 1, sooooooo!!

I do feel a bit thinner as my black slacks are not as tight as they were!

Good Luck to all!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
Lori - Wonderful week you have had!

I just cannot get on the scale too often as at times it is depressing and off the diet i go

I will not step on until November 16, I started on Novemeber 1, sooooooo!!

I do feel a bit thinner as my black slacks are not as tight as they were!

Good Luck to all!
I'm wishing you a lot of good luck, and will really be looking forward to your first weigh-in on the 16th! Keeping fingers crossed for you!