Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   So...i think i want to try this (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/744393-so-i-think-i-want-try.html)

Tyl 11-05-2011 09:00 PM

So...i think i want to try this

Where is a good place to learn about this plan? I have read through your forum and this sounds like a plan i can handle, but are there other sites that can give me more info on how to calculate how many calories on UD and DD? i want to get started on monday, so i have a lot of reading to do.

I have gained so much weight and dieting has been just soooo hard. i have hired a personal trainer but have not been able to recommit to lc. thoughts? encouragment welcome lol

Lori-s 11-05-2011 09:26 PM

Hi Tyl! Welcome aboard.

There are many here with a lot more experience than I have with JUDD and I'm sure they'll be along to help. In the meantime if you google Johnson up day down day diet you can find the website with more information. It also contains a calculator for determining your calorie limits. There are sites at Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs and Calorie Calculator I think that a lot of people sort of calculate by averaging the different calculator sites.

I know that most people use their goal weight in the calculator but it probably is more determined by how close you are to goal weight. If you use the calculator on the JUDD site be sure that you are using the right measures ... lbs not kgs and inches not cms or you will be shocked at the numbers that come up.

Some JUDDers are also low carb ... so that is doable if you find you want to do that.

I will tell you that it is a real freedom not to have all the restrictions and forbidden foods that a lot of other plans have and it makes it a lot easier to do the low cal DD when you know that you only have to get through one day and the next day is no sweat. It is great to know that you can go out to eat or a party and not have to turn down food and it's also nice to not have to try to recreate foods or pay more money in order to have foods appropriate to your WOE.

So welcome! and if you set your DD and UD calories right and follow them you'll be happy with the results and the freedom you'll enjoy.

Tyl 11-05-2011 09:46 PM

Thanks! i found the calculator on the JUDD site. It says my UD should be about 2661 and DD about 532 for induction.

I'm nervous, but i think i can manage that.

Tyl 11-05-2011 09:48 PM

should i be checking the calculator weekly as my weight changes? monthly? every 10 or 20 pounds?!

Tyl 11-05-2011 10:29 PM

another question:

because of my work schedule, and workout schedule, i would really like my DD to be mon, wed, fri............ but what would i do about sundays? i guess technically i could just do a normal 7 day rotation, but it would be easier to have dd's be the same every week. thoughts on this?

Mommie22boys 11-06-2011 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyl (Post 15152572)
another question:

because of my work schedule, and workout schedule, i would really like my DD to be mon, wed, fri............ but what would i do about sundays? i guess technically i could just do a normal 7 day rotation, but it would be easier to have dd's be the same every week. thoughts on this?

Hi Tyl! I always do the same rotation of days every week due to work: M-W-F are DDs, T-Th are UDs and then I usually do Sat as an UD and then I make Sun a MD. Then i'm back to a DD for Monday again.

So, what's a MD? It's a medium day...find those calories by averaging your UD and DD numbers.

There are several of us here who use a MD every week to keep our rotations the same every week. Then there are others who stick strictly to UD/DD every other day and only throw in a MD if they need to change their rotation for whatever reason. For example, some people may toss in a MDto make Thanksgiving an UD if it was going to be a DD during their normal rotation. There's a discussion thread on this very topic of thanksgiving, in fact.

Best of luck!! Come ask questions when you have them...we'll help you figure things out! :)

shari 11-06-2011 05:30 AM

Hey Tyl! I just started too...best of luck to you! :jumpjoy: So far, I'm still trying to figure out if I'm going to stay LC or just eat according to cals but I love it and hopefully you will too. :)

shirlc 11-06-2011 05:43 AM

I just read the book, "The Alternate Day Diet." I got it from the library. Like Atkins, it really helps me to know why this works and the health reasons for doing it.

Good luck!

Tyl 11-06-2011 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shari (Post 15152875)
Hey Tyl! I just started too...best of luck to you! :jumpjoy: So far, I'm still trying to figure out if I'm going to stay LC or just eat according to cals but I love it and hopefully you will too. :)

Shari!!!!!!!!!!!

i haven't been able to commit to LC at all. i just can't do it! i dunno why. Here's hoping we both are successful. Today is my first up day. I will weigh in in just a few moments... ugh! lol

Tyl 11-06-2011 05:45 AM

thanks everyone! i'm excited to get started. i have ordered the book, should be in any day now, but after reading the JUDD website i feel like i have a basic enough understanding of how and why it works to get started.

today will be my first up day. i'm excited.

shari 11-06-2011 05:50 AM

I feel you! So are you just going to count cals? I can do low carb but it's like I'm stagnant and just go up and down the same pounds. I needed a jump start and something different. I think today I'm going to just count cals and not just low carb anymore to see how it works. You never know until you try. ;) Best of luck to you too!! :)

Tyl 11-06-2011 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shari (Post 15152924)
I feel you! So are you just going to count cals? I can do low carb but it's like I'm stagnant and just go up and down the same pounds. I needed a jump start and something different. I think today I'm going to just count cals and not just low carb anymore to see how it works. You never know until you try. ;) Best of luck to you too!! :)

yep i'm just gonna count cals and see where that gets me.

shari 11-06-2011 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyl (Post 15152942)
yep i'm just gonna count cals and see where that gets me.

I'm taking 'the plunge' with you and only counting cals too, starting today. :shake:

Tyl 11-06-2011 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shari (Post 15152978)
I'm taking 'the plunge' with you and only counting cals too, starting today. :shake:

:D

my sister sent me a text and invited me for lasagna tonight! yummo! can't wait!

shari 11-06-2011 06:22 AM

Ohh enjoy! :D I was just talking to my mom about fixing lasagna for Thanksgiving. With JUDDD you can eat like this. :yummy:

SoHappy 11-06-2011 06:34 AM

Chantyl, I'm so glad you're joining us here! You are going to LOVE the JUDDD! :laugh:

You've already been helped as to figuring your Up Day and Down Day calorie numbers, and most folks actually think the JUDDD site is a little too generous in the numbers they give you to be eating at, so we always recommend people go to a couple of other sites, like *freedieting* etc. and get their calorie number recommendations too, and then average those numbers to get a truer picture of what the UD calories should be.

Another thing is to decide whether you want to use that BMR number, which is your maintenance calories, to actually be maintaining your current weight? Most of us cut that down some, as we don't want to be eating so many calories on our Up Days that we are eating up to that maintenance calorie number, resulting in us using that day to quite maintain our current heavy weight. So some calculate what they should be eating to maintain the slim person within them, and only eat UD calories to maintain this person.

Many of us just use that our UD calorie figure and knock off a couple hundred calories from that.

So just wanted to point out that if you are taking your calorie numbers solely from the JUDDD site, you'll want to pay close attention to your results... some folks do wonderfully well, and some find they have been given a number to use that doesn't give them the weight loss they were looking forward to. But easy enough to nudge that UD number down a smidge if it comes to that.

Kind of a balancing act to keep it high, which actually helps weight loss in the long term, and yet not so high that JUDDD ends up being a maintenance diet! :annoyed: :laugh:

Tyl, I think you are going to absolutely thrive on JUDDD. We all think it is amazing that one plan is handing us weight loss (or easy maintenance) in exchange for every other day of semi-fasting and within the same month, we are feasting every other day on any foods we wish to include in out diets! We party, we go out with friends, we enjoy celebrations and festivals and holidays, and we enjoy all the foods these fun activities include, at least the foods that we wish to nibble on, and all that time... we're *on a diet*! Ha! Nobody would believe that when they see us eat! :laugh:

Tyl 11-06-2011 06:40 AM

ok did some figuring and i'm gonna aim for 1800 cals on my up days. 500 for dd. we'll see how that goes!

thanks for the great info Pat!

SoHappy 11-06-2011 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyl (Post 15153017)
ok did some figuring and i'm gonna aim for 1800 cals on my up days. 500 for dd. we'll see how that goes!

I'm so excited that you are here with us! I think you are going to really do great, AND love the foods you get to eat! I'll bet you're going to have a really good Thanksgiving feast this year! :laugh:

Tyl 11-06-2011 06:56 AM

lol when i was home two weeks ago my cousin mentioned my first yr lcing and she said all i ate was a piece of turkey and some creamed spinach LOL... i remember that..it was torture.

sophiethecat 11-06-2011 07:02 AM

Hi Tyl! :hiya: :welcome: to JUDDD! I think you're going to love it! ::jumpjoy:

shari 11-06-2011 07:07 AM

Pat, that info is very helpful! I was using the JUDDD site but when I went to freedieting, it gave me an more accurate UD calorie to aim for which is a lot lower. So now I'm aiming for 1600 at the most for UD vs. 2000. Thanks!

Mommie22boys 11-06-2011 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyl (Post 15153017)

Tyl: You and I have the same UD/DD numbers. It really is do-able. Don't let the 500 cal number freak you out...go to the DD staples thread for some ideas of how to get the most food bang for your calorie buck. I found in the beginning (and still often do) that I needed to feel like I was eating all day long, so that I didn't feel like I was ONLY EATING 500 calories. Also, I find it helpful to pre-plan my UD foods just as much as my DD foods. It seems like if I don't, then I am at risk to either overeat or to find myself way under my calorie allotment by dinner and need to find a way to eat 1000 more calories before bedtime. :stars:

Welcome, and enjoy your first UD!!!!

Skinjob 11-06-2011 09:13 AM

Quick question: What happens if you have a birthday party or special event that will involve eating something caloric someone made but you are on a down day? What do you do?

Lori-s 11-06-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skinjob (Post 15153373)
Quick question: What happens if you have a birthday party or special event that will involve eating something caloric someone made but you are on a down day? What do you do?

Hey Skinjob ... :hiya: and :welcome:

Besides Up Days (UD) and Down Days (DD) there are Mid Days (MD). When an occasion is coming up on a DD you can adjust by making a day a mid day. You do that by averaging you UD and DD to get your MD calories. Example: 1800 UD and 500 DD = 1150 MD. So stick a MD in there. If you do a DD then MD then the next would be an UD ... or UD, MD then DD.

Some people even have one MD a week so that they keep their DDs and UDs the same each week. Personally I'm just doing a straight alternating days right now but, it looks like Christmas will be a DD so I'll get to try a MD in there somewhere after Thanksgiving so that Christmas and New Year's Eve are both UDs

SoHappy 11-06-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori-s (Post 15153397)
Hey Skinjob ... :hiya: and :welcome:

Besides Up Days (UD) and Down Days (DD) there are Mid Days (MD). When an occasion is coming up on a DD you can adjust by making a day a mid day. You do that by averaging you UD and DD to get your MD calories. Example: 1800 UD and 500 DD = 1150 MD. So stick a MD in there. If you do a DD then MD then the next would be an UD ... or UD, MD then DD.

Some people even have one MD a week so that they keep their DDs and UDs the same each week. Personally I'm just doing a straight alternating days right now but, it looks like Christmas will be a DD so I'll get to try a MD in there somewhere after Thanksgiving so that Christmas and New Year's Eve are both UDs

Yup. If you know that the event is coming up, you can arrange to always have it fall on an UD for you! Now, that's some kind of diet freedom! :laugh: We use the MD to insert into any rotation that is resulting in a DD landing on a future *food* day, so that we can alter the rotation in such a way that the *food* day has now magically been transformed into an UD. And then we enjoy it!

Idreamofweightloss 11-06-2011 10:21 AM

I forgot do we use the number we get for maintence or fat loss. The reason I ask is the numbers for fat loss are really low for me. 1096 on one site and 869 on the other. The maintence numbers are 1370 0r 1369, pretty pointless to average those numbers lol. My stats are , age 30, height 5'0'' and I used little to no exercise since I am not working out right now. I used 110 as the weight since that will be my new goal.

Lori-s 11-06-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idreamofweightloss (Post 15153529)
I forgot do we use the number we get for maintenance or fat loss. The reason I ask is the numbers for fat loss are really low for me. 1096 on one site and 869 on the other. The maintenance numbers are 1370 0r 1369, pretty pointless to average those numbers lol. My stats are , age 30, height 5'0'' and I used little to no exercise since I am not working out right now. I used 110 as the weight since that will be my new goal.

Hi Idream!

I plugged your numbers with little or no exercise in the JUDD website calculator and got
UD = 1530 (most find this calculator gives a high number and average it with other calculator numbers)
DD - 306 (@20%), 383 (@25%), 459 (@30%), 536 (@35%)

When I started my DD # was in the 300s and I just couldn't imagine being able to stick with that so I used the default 500 cals suggested. If you want to check out the calculator just google Johnson up day down day diet and go to the website. Maybe try averaging the 1530, 1370 and 1369? = 1423.

Idreamofweightloss 11-06-2011 10:40 AM

That may be a good idea. 1423. I just was not sure if I was supposed to use the Maintence number or the fat loss number since they give you 3 different numbers. I know I dont use the extreme fat loss number.

SoHappy 11-06-2011 12:24 PM

Hi, Dream!

You are very petite, so won't have the size advantage to eat at some of the higher calorie numbers that our taller gals can pull off :annoyed: :laugh: but you do want to be able to eat every single calorie that you can manage while still making weight loss happen.

And the other thing is.. it would be nice if you could manage to boost your metabolic rate UP, so that your metabolism will be running along speedily for years yet! And to that end, you don't want to hold your calories down any further on your Up Days than they have to be.

An ideal is to have a huge pounding/bouncing hammering effect going on between your DD numbers and your UD numbers. As though you are pounding down on those DD calories to keep them low, and then pounding UP against that UD calorie ceiling, as though you are trying to pound and push it higher, higher, higher.

If you hold your UD calories to 1500 and your DD calories to 500, those two figures average out to a mere 1000 calories per day, every two days... certainly a very low *weight loss* figure. I think and hope that you certainly wouldn't need to go below that already low figure. If you hold to these numbers and don't see weight loss happening, then try the UD calorie figure of 1400. But I'm very hopeful that you will manage well on a 1500 calorie Up Day. :hugs:

I think we will be seeing you reporting weight loss Woo Hoos very shortly, and you should probably be planning for the new wardrobe in a smaller size that you'll be needing shortly.

Idreamofweightloss 11-06-2011 02:22 PM

Thanks SoHappy!