Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Fried Green Tomatoes

I posted over on the Playground to see if anyone made these, and if so what a good recipe would be.

Am posting here too, in the hopes that maybe somebody here has a truly good recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes.

I know I can look up recipes online, but I like to get one somebody can vouch for if possible.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I just always used a cornmeal/flour mixture, half of each, then salt and pepper. I never deep fried them, just dip the slices in an egg and milk mixture, then the cornmeal/flour and pan fry for 3-4 minutes per side.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #3

OK, that will be the way I'll make them tomorrow. Thanks, Dottie.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
I've never made, or even eaten them (but it's on my bucket list), but I saw a cooking show where they swore up and down that the best ones needed at least some cornmeal in the dredge or batter.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
I don't even know where to buy green tomatoes? Or do I need to garden to have this delicacy.... It sounds SO good!
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #6

I've heard that you can buy them right in the grocery store alongside the ripe tomatoes in some places. Not here though. Mine are from my own two little plants.

I'd think that if you have a Farmer's Market, you could pick a booth and arrange for them to bring in a few green tomatoes the next time, earmarked for you.

I'm looking forward to fixing some of these tomorrow.

Fried green tomatoes and cold beer and football games on TV.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Fried green tomatoes and cold beer and football games on TV.
Oh My! I wouldn't care what game it was with that!
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
My Grandma used to make these. I don't know her recipe, but I think she dipped them in an egg/milk mix and then flour and cornmeal mixed, plus salt and pepper.

I've tried to make them, but somehow it never tastes as good as Grandma's - -

Enjoy your fried green tomatoes, Pat, let us eat them vicariously through you! Lol.

Last edited by sophiethecat; 11-04-2011 at 09:07 PM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #9

Oh, My! I may never allow another tomato to ripen on the vine. And I'm not kidding!

These things were just wonderful. When I told DH what I'd planned for this football gameday munching, he said, "I don't think I'll like that...." He ate 6 big slabs!

I sort of used a composite of everything folks had suggested, so:

egg & cream, blended, for the dipping
yellow corn meal & flour mix for the breading

I sliced the tomatoes into almost 1/2 inch slices, but not quite..
lightly pressed the slices between paper towels to dry them a bit

Double coated them.. dip and coat, then dip and coat a second time, so the coating was pretty thick

I used fresh canola oil. I didn't want any other flavor to them, so no frying in butter or bacon grease, etc. Just fresh oil.

I got the oil about medium high, which ended up being a smidge too hot on my stove, so by the second batch I'd turned the heat down to just over medium.

I cooked four slices at a time, and the thick coating crisped up magnificently! When the slices were deep golden on one side, I flipped them in the oil and did the other side.

Fished them out with a slotted spoon and onto paper towels to absorb the extra oil
Sprinkled with salt
DH loved them just like that with a cold beer on the side!

I tried them with Louisiana Hot sauce and with horseradish sauce, which were both good, but ended up being truly ecstatic over them with ranch dressing for dipping !!!!!

I still have a few green tomatoes left, but I'm thinking about going around and asking neighbors if I can have a few of their still-green tomatoes to add to my stash!

Last edited by SoHappy; 11-05-2011 at 01:28 PM..
Old 11-05-2011, 01:27 PM   #10

Gallery: shari
Stats: 252/186/179-mini goal
WOE: Atkins
Oh I haven't had this since my granny used to make them some years ago from her garden. She used the same recipe, egg/milk mixture dipped in flour. Sounds like you did a great job..now I want some.
shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shari View Post
Oh I haven't had this since my granny used to make them some years ago from her garden. She used the same recipe, egg/milk mixture dipped in flour. Sounds like you did a great job..now I want some.
Love the Up Days!
Old 11-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
I can appreciate so much better on my DD how something would taste if I could only have it, lol I can just taste these now, Pat. Yum! Come to think of it, I believe my Grandma did the "double-dipping" method too, to make a thicker batter.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #13

Gallery: shari
Stats: 252/186/179-mini goal
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
I can appreciate so much better on my DD how something would taste if I could only have it, lol I can just taste these now, Pat. Yum! Come to think of it, I believe my Grandma did the "double-dipping" method too, to make a thicker batter.
Oh yeah, mine did too! She's 88 now so doesn't garden anymore to but I really miss her veggies straight from the garden, green tomatoes one of them.
shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kattbelly
I cleaned out my neighbors garden of green tomatoes the other day and we had Ribeyes with mustard sauce and fried green tomatoes. My husband was moaning in pleasure while he was eating them.

You can make them low carb and they taste great. I use a mix of coconut flour and almond flour (really subs nicely for the cornmeal). I season the dredge mix very well, and I fried mine in a mix of bacon fat, since I had some on the counter, and coconut oil. I think coco. oil is a really good frying oil.

For those of you who haven't tried them yet, they are so tangy! The green tomatoes hold up to frying because they are firm-you can still fry them if they get a little pink, but they're softer and don't hold a "patty" form as well. But they're still tasty!

Be careful of your hoard of greenies, if you're not careful they'll ripen up on your counter. (I had a few get almost too pink to fry.) I still have 4 left for another batch of FGTs. Then the season is about over.

"The chief cause of unhappiness and failure is trading what we want most for what we want at the moment."

"Our perception gathers proof that our beliefs are right."
Kattbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #15
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattbelly View Post
I cleaned out my neighbors garden of green tomatoes the other day and we had Ribeyes with mustard sauce and fried green tomatoes. My husband was moaning in pleasure while he was eating them.

You can make them low carb and they taste great. I use a mix of coconut flour and almond flour (really subs nicely for the cornmeal). I season the dredge mix very well, and I fried mine in a mix of bacon fat, since I had some on the counter, and coconut oil. I think coco. oil is a really good frying oil.

For those of you who haven't tried them yet, they are so tangy! The green tomatoes hold up to frying because they are firm-you can still fry them if they get a little pink, but they're softer and don't hold a "patty" form as well. But they're still tasty!

Be careful of your hoard of greenies, if you're not careful they'll ripen up on your counter. (I had a few get almost too pink to fry.) I still have 4 left for another batch of FGTs. Then the season is about over.
The reason I JUDDD is I don't have to sub anything anymore because I'm not doing a very LC WOE anymore (see bold above). I can use real cornmeal and flour, if I want, and this is one of the main reasons JUDDD is going to remain my WOE for LIFE!! NO MORE SUBS!!

Not saying LC is bad, just saying I'm just so I don't have to sub anymore, unless I feel like it!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote