Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Struggling on my UD's would NOT counting Calories on UD's help?

I am asking this because I am really having a hard time on my UD's.
Its not that I ahve been going over my 1800 cals very much (never been over 1900)

I love juddd//and want it to be my woe for life...but I really do want to be able to "diet every other day"...and at the moment, in my mind, I seem to be dieting every day

Its just that I am starting to get a bit obsessive over the calorie counting on my UD's..sticking to low cal DD foods on UD's...so I dont use my calories up too fast...and reluctant to eat any one high cal item, just incase I run out too quickly. I seem to have carried my DD mentality over to my UD....so am not really enjoying them!

I am fed up thinking of food all day on my UD..and not just being able to relax and eat as and when I feel like it.

DD's are much more easy..yes, I get a bit peckish...but I have my usual group of foods to stick with...and I think, for me, less choice = less stress. I weigh and measure everything, and stick with 500-600 cals.

I am not looking for an excuse to binge....in fact, I would probably end up eating more or less the same...just without the paranoia!

Do any of you already, or plan to when you reach goal, just count on DD's?
I know many on other juddd forums do...but would be really grateful to get some opinions on the best juddd forum!

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Now that you have reached your goal, and you want to remain on JUDDD and eat alternate calorie numbers on Up And Down days, why don't you do a short experiment as the next step.

Continue doing your strict Down Days at your new maintenance number. You say that's currently 500 - 600 calories, so you might want to increase that by 100.. to 600 - 700 calories. Then do every other Up Day as a calorie counted day, and the alternate Up Day as a completely free day. And on that completely free day, you can eat as you wish, without weighing or measuring or counting or guesstimating and worrying about it at all. Every other Up Day will now be a Free Day. And you will never actually know what the calories or carbs end up being. You are not counting, and you are not to worry about it. You may end up eating 1300 calories that day, or 2300. And for this experiment, it won't matter at all.

What you are going to test now is what happens if you allow yourself a few Free Days, and if they can be controlled by the alternate counted Up Days, plus your normal alternate Down Days.

So you will have:

Down Day
Up Day
Down Day
Free Day
Down Day
Up Day
Down Day
Free Day
Down Day
Up Day
Down Day
Free Day

Down Days as normal, and every other Up Day being turned into a Free Day.

Then, if you can do that for two or three weeks and everything seems to be just fine, try doing your Up Days with a larger proportion of Free Days, and fewer counted Up Days.

With the goal of finally being completely free on Up Days... as they will have all turned into Free Days, and all of it kept under control by your alternate Down Days, being weighed and measured and calories tracked as you do now, just to keep your hand in the game.

How would you feel about easing into something like this?

Last edited by SoHappy; 11-04-2011 at 04:03 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Now that you have reached your goal, and you want to remain on JUDDD and eat alternate calorie numbers on Up And Down days, why don't you do a short experiment as the next step.

Continue doing your strict Down Days at your new maintenance number. You say that's currently 500 - 600 calories, so you might want to increase that by 100.. to 600 - 700 calories. Then do every other Up Day as a calorie counted day, and the alternate Up Day as a completely free day. And on that completely free day, you can eat as you wish, without weighing or measuring or counting or guesstimating and worrying about it at all. Every other Up Day will now be a Free Day. And you will never actually know what the calories or carbs end up being. You are not counting, and you are not to worry about it. You may end up eating 1300 calories that day, or 2300. And for this experiment, it won't matter at all.

What you are going to test now is what happens if you allow yourself a few Free Days, and if they can be controlled by the alternate counted Up Days, plus your normal alternate Down Days.

So you will have:

Down Day
Up Day
Down Day
Free Day
Down Day
Up Day
Down Day
Free Day
Down Day
Up Day
Down Day
Free Day

Down Days as normal, and every other Up Day being turned into a Free Day.

Then, if you can do that for two or three weeks and everything seems to be just fine, try doing your Up Days with a larger proportion of Free Days, and fewer counted Up Days.

With the goal of finally being completely free on Up Days... as they will have all turned into Free Days, and all of it kept under control by your alternate Down Days, being weighed and measured and calories tracked as you do now, just to keep your hand in the game.

How would you feel about easing into something like this?
Thanks Pat...that is a really good plan...thankyou so much for coming up with it for me!
I hadnt even considered doing anything like that. I will commit to it till the end of november.
I weigh daily and make a graph, so will be able to see how it works for me.
I want to keep my woe pleasurable...its got rid of my last few pounds, got rid of my period pains...if I can relax and enjoy my UD's...I will be sorted!
I just need to be careful not to slip into my old ED habits...I am doing well so far...but I could see the signs in my worry over UD's. I have no intention in going backwards when I have came so far.
And 700 cals for a DD...I will think I am in heaven...
Today was an UD..so tomorrow will be a DD...then a FD!
I think it will be a good way of easing into maintainence for me....I dont need to lose any more..cant afford the clothes!
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
Pat's idea might work great for you! As for ED habits, I sometimes think counting every single calorie can make things worse for some people.

I've considered just counting calories on down days since I'm just wanting to maintain really or maybe drop a couple more pounds. For the 6 weeks before judd, I had stopped counting my carbs and calories and it was very freeing! I did creep up 3 pounds, though. I might just continue the UD calorie counting for another week or two and then just count on down days only. If I creep up, I'll go back to counting. I sort of look forward to down days because it's just so much simpler. Good luck to you!
Old 11-04-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
I think Pat's plan for you is a great one, can't wait to see how it works for you. I could only imagine not having to worry about food and/or calories like all my skinny girl friends.
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by julietcc View Post
Pat's idea might work great for you! As for ED habits, I sometimes think counting every single calorie can make things worse for some people.

I've considered just counting calories on down days since I'm just wanting to maintain really or maybe drop a couple more pounds. For the 6 weeks before judd, I had stopped counting my carbs and calories and it was very freeing! I did creep up 3 pounds, though. I might just continue the UD calorie counting for another week or two and then just count on down days only. If I creep up, I'll go back to counting. I sort of look forward to down days because it's just so much simpler. Good luck to you!
This is the one scary thing we all worry about though. You were gaining it back at the rate of a pound every two weeks. We don't know if that would have continued if you hadn't taken steps to intervene, but it does illustrate how *on top of it all* we have to stay. For most of us, if we stop keeping at least somewhat focused on our calories/food consumption, we find ourselves up many, many pounds in nothing flat!

I'm hoping that slowly working into not counting UDs will work. Easy enough to tighten back up and count and keep tight tabs on a larger number of the Up Days if it becomes necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris4chloe View Post
I think Pat's plan for you is a great one, can't wait to see how it works for you. I could only imagine not having to worry about food and/or calories like all my skinny girl friends.
Here is where I wonder if any of us will ever truly be able to do that. I think if we didn't have to worry about food or calories like skinny friends, we would also just be skinny.. like them.

I think, for whatever reason, our bodies don't work like theirs, and if and when we lose the fat and become skinny, we'll have to always stay conscious of what we're eating and the quantities and the calories. Oh, well... at least JUDDD is a great vehicle to do just that. And it does give us every other day of the freedom of eating mostly like skinny friends, even if we have to stay in touch with the calories we're consuming more than they do.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
I'm sorry you're struggling, Jo! I can understand the bother of counting calories - diet fatigue - after so long. I'm not there yet, but I can see it happening eventually.

I love Pat's suggestion. I will probably do this too at some point - especially when I have days where I'm eating out or eating buffet style or carry-in dishes and holidays, etc. where it's just too much bother to try to track everything you ate and have no idea what someone put in it, you know?

But I might even start loosening up on regular UD's too before long, it's just that I'm not sure if I'm truly at maintenance yet or still wanna drop a few.

Let us know how this works out for you! Take care, Jo.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:34 PM   #8
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
OK, here is my experience with NOT counting UDs which I haven't been doing for about 2 weeks because of how my life has been. With all that was going on with our Little Miss on my UDs I just ate what I wanted. I did write everything done, just didn't get a chance or was too sad to journal like I normally would.

What I found today after putting in all of my UDs foods in my journal was I DIDN'T go over on any of these days and some were even 200 to 300 calories lower than normal, I could have eaten more!

For me I just "know" now how much I will need to be satisfied and I don't over eat because I just get full sooner and stop sooner now. Even when I was really stressed/depressed and I wanted to just eat and eat I didn't because I was just too full. I believe our stomach shrinks, and we only can eat so much. Unless you force yourself to eat more, you probably won't over eat even without counting so either do as Pat suggested (which is a brilliant idea) or just take 1 week, don't count and see what happens. I think you will be very surprised, like I was.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote