Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
Figuring out Calories...

once and for all!!

How did you all choose what range to start in??

I train with weights 4x a week and do cardio in the form of bike riding or walking every other day.

With my height/weight entered at 30% wt loss mode I get 2537 on UDs and 761 for DDs.
Now I don't believe I've EVER eaten over 1800 while trying to lose fat so those 2537cals are pretty generous.

I'm not sure where I should start. And I've never counted cals before so this is new to me! Yes, even while losing fat in the past I've never tracked cals only macros. Like grams of protein/carbs/fat.

I think 1800 would be good. That would give me 160P/100C/80F for a total of 1760. Or I can up the carbs a tad and drop the fat some? 160P/150C/40F..would give me 1600.

I worry that I wouldn't be able to EAT that many carbs though.

Thanks for letting me ramble!! This is why I always shyed away from this stuff. It makes me looney!
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/118/110-114
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
I went to Dr. Johnson's web site and after putting in my age, etc. it showed I need 1594 calories a day to maintain my weight of 122. The lower number I got by using 35 % gave me 558. Those are the 2 numbers I will try to use!

I did put in the 20% also and that gave me just over 300 calories a day, but I felt that would not be to my liking!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I'm not sure.

If I allowed 70P/50(net)C/30F on DDs that would give me 750 cals on DDs. I could start there and go down as needed?? On UDs I could do 160P/150C/50F for roughly 1700?? Or more fat just in case I don't use up the carbs..

Do any of you count macros or just overall cals??

I'd like it that someday I could eat more than 1700cals without gaining???

But does 1700/750 seem like a good place to start? And I could go "UP or DOWN," as I continue on.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
The one thing I kept in mind was a couple of things I always heard about how those calculators don't tell the truth for *fat people*, of which I was a big one. That even when we do quite strenuous exercise daily, we shouldn't subtract out for much of it and that if we are very heavy, those calculators are going to give us a calorie figure to maintain our body at it's current fat weight which wasn't what I had in mind.

I kept in mind that almost everyone thinks the calculator on the JUDDD site is far too generous in the calories it gives us.

So I entered my age, current weight, height, and the very least bit of exercise level above BMR. I put in that I was pretty sedentary despite the fact that I exercise regularly and often quite a bit! Then I entered everything like that a second time, but instead of my current weight, I entered my goal weight, using the premise that within all the fat was a slim woman, and I only wanted to eat enough calories to feed her, not the fat she was buried in. And then, I selected a number between those two to use as my UD calorie ceiling, figuring I would lower it sometime in the future when needed.

That's how I did it. It just seemed to me that if all that exercise they allowed for was really doing all that much for me (as far as weight loss went) I wouldn't be all that fat to begin with.

The calculators seemed to be telling me that because I exercise, I should eat MORE, and were figuring in more calories for my number. That would be just fine if I was starting at a nice lean body weight and needed those extra calories to maintain myself in the face of great exercise, but sadly... that wasn't the case at the time. It was patently obvious that I didn't need to be eating more, just because I exercised. LOL

I used the JUDDD calculator and the one on the freedieting site and averaged them together.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Interesting.
When I use little to no exercise at 25% and my weight now, I get 1964/589

When I enter little to no exercise as the slender girl inside of me lol, I get 1819/546.

So actually I don't think I'm too far off. And someday I hope to be able to maintain at those cals(and probably MORE because I *DO* exercise)

I just want to pick some numbers I can stick to for awhile. so maybe 1800/700??
I can lower both if I need to. But I'd prefer to have some wiggle room.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
Interesting.
When I use little to no exercise at 25% and my weight now, I get 1964/589

When I enter little to no exercise as the slender girl inside of me lol, I get 1819/546.

So actually I don't think I'm too far off. And someday I hope to be able to maintain at those cals(and probably MORE because I *DO* exercise)

I just want to pick some numbers I can stick to for awhile. so maybe 1800/700??
I can lower both if I need to. But I'd prefer to have some wiggle room.
If there is any way you can start with this 1800/700 figure and work each calorie number into a wider variance from the other, I'll bet it will help encourage good things from your metabolism.

So if you start out at 1800/700 and then try to expand it to 1850/650, and then 1900/600, and then push it to even further. It would be great if you could get it pushed to 2000/500.

Someday you will be in maintenance, and then you will be sitting up at 2000 and probably even higher than that, and then you will begin to bring your Down Day calories up, up, up...

The big variance between low DD cals and high UD cals seems to be part of the secret behind the JUDDD magic as far as I can determine.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:58 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

got it..makes perfect sense..and thats what I will do!!

and wouldn't it be awesome if I didn't have to change my cals??