Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nik Nik
Stats: 196 / 185/ 165
WOE: Atkins/JUDDD
Start Date: 10/20/2011
Screw It - Starting NOW!

Alright - so I give up...I'm sick of trying to force feed myself food I'm not hungry for...it's not even about losing weight at this point, I'm just not hungry and I don't feel like fighting my body I'm at the point I hate eating now almost...and no matter what, food I think should still be enjoyable....and I enjoy eating...WHEN I'm hungry...not just because it's breakfast time...

So question for you LC'ers....I looked through thr recipes and the food just doesn't appeal to me, I'm not a soup eater, or chili, so my question is...what do you eat on DD's?

Am I OK with scrambled eggs as long as my calories stay under 500? Because I can really drink water all day and eat 3 eggs for dinner and be completely satisfied...

Next, is about exercise...so you still? Even on DD's?

Thanks in Advance!

10/19/2011--began the rest of my life...again!
196/185/165- New goal!

Nik Nik is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Check out the DD Staples thread.
Lots of ideas and you can do protein and veggies on DD's pretty easily
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Oh, and I'm a total odd-ball. I have so much energy on down days it's like my body is itching to make the most of the lower calories lol.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much Dottie!! That's just what I was looking for!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sissiesue
Stats: 173/129/129
Start Date: September 27, 2010
Hi, Nik Nik --

It doesn't matter what you eat on DD. It's the calories that matter. This week, I'm trying something new -- basically just eating a smaller version of what I eat on UD (eggs, meat, some veggies). Good luck!
Sissiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Hi Nik Nik You can eat eggs if that's what you like.

May I ask what you meant about forcing yourself to eat food you weren't hungry for?

Another LC thing (and something I eat on DD most all the time) is a big veggie salad with a little cheese (today it's some low fat cottage cheese) and tuna or grilled chicken.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sissiesue
Stats: 173/129/129
Start Date: September 27, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post

May I ask what you meant about forcing yourself to eat food you weren't hungry for?

Another LC thing (and something I eat on DD most all the time) is a big veggie salad with a little cheese (today it's some low fat cottage cheese) and tuna or grilled chicken.
Cottage cheese! I'm totally doing that. What a good idea! I don't know why I didn't think of it on my own.
Sissiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:22 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I literally have no appetite...one of the benefits of LC, but it hurts progress if you're not getting enough calories...so I would force myself to eat even if I wasn't hungry...I can do better and build more of an appetite for UD's if I don't have to play the MUST EAT NOW game every single day...LOL.

Good to know I can have what I love and still stay on plan for JUDDD....I LOVE EGGS!!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nik View Post
I literally have no appetite...one of the benefits of LC, but it hurts progress if you're not getting enough calories...so I would force myself to eat even if I wasn't hungry...I can do better and build more of an appetite for UD's if I don't have to play the MUST EAT NOW game every single day...LOL.
Ahhh, I TOTALLY get what you mean now! I was deep into ketosis too on LC - had all the appetite suppression and couldn't eat more than 1,000 - 1,200 calories daily. I wasn't going to force myself to eat more either. That may be why LC didn't work that great for me for weight loss - because my calories were so low my body slowed its metabolism... but when you're not hungry at all, the thought of HAVING to eat is dreadful (!)
Old 11-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Ahhh, I TOTALLY get what you mean now! I was deep into ketosis too on LC - had all the appetite suppression and couldn't eat more than 1,000 - 1,200 calories daily. I wasn't going to force myself to eat more either. That may be why LC didn't work that great for me for weight loss - because my calories were so low my body slowed its metabolism... but when you're not hungry at all, the thought of HAVING to eat is dreadful (!)
Torture!! I'm like..you NEED to eat this...you will not lose weight if you don't....I just know there has to be a better way...I'm coasting through the day on just water...looking forward to going home and eating some eggs and calling it a day WITHOUT guilt over too little calories....tomorrow it should be pretty easy to eat I'm hoping....we'll see how it goes....but I'm excited!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

I hope your UD goes well for you.

Just a note - after coming off LC I had a little trouble in the very beginning to reach my UD calorie quota since that was hundreds more than I was used to. At first I was wondering how I would eat that much, and if I had stayed on strict LC, I am not sure if I could have without downing Tablespoons of coconut or olive oil or something?

But by including more carbs I got out of ketosis and was able to do UD without problem. I would still be considered eating "LC" to some people because I average 40 - 130 g. depending on whether it's UD or DD. And I know the gov't recommendation is 300 carbs (read that somewhere), but I've never been anywhere close to that.

I find I'm eating a lot more vegetables the way I do JUDDD than I was on LC, btw.

Good luck and let us know how it's going!
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
Old 11-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I hope your UD goes well for you.

Just a note - after coming off LC I had a little trouble in the very beginning to reach my UD calorie quota since that was hundreds more than I was used to. At first I was wondering how I would eat that much, and if I had stayed on strict LC, I am not sure if I could have without downing Tablespoons of coconut or olive oil or something?

But by including more carbs I got out of ketosis and was able to do UD without problem. I would still be considered eating "LC" to some people because I average 40 - 130 g. depending on whether it's UD or DD. And I know the gov't recommendation is 300 carbs (read that somewhere), but I've never been anywhere close to that.

I find I'm eating a lot more vegetables the way I do JUDDD than I was on LC, btw.

Good luck and let us know how it's going!
I'm sure UD's are going to be hard for me too...but I am hoping that by restricting so much the day before, some hunger will linger and help me get the calories in....but we'll see...I can't eat just straight butter or anything like that... But I'll figure someway to get there....there is a great burger place close by that has a 100 calorie burger...no bun, very filling...so I can use that as my starting point and it should be easy to get the rest of them in throughout the day...

What about exercise??..do you all restrict on DD's....scared of passing out for lack of food...LOL!
Old 11-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
One DD I ended up eating one ounce of cream cheese (100 calories) every three hours throughout the day. I just didn't want anything more solid than that, but the creaminess of the cream cheese really hit the spot.

Still ended up at around 600 calories, and didn't have hunger much at all.

Whatever works for you on those days.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nik View Post
I'm sure UD's are going to be hard for me too...but I am hoping that by restricting so much the day before, some hunger will linger and help me get the calories in....but we'll see...I can't eat just straight butter or anything like that... But I'll figure someway to get there....there is a great burger place close by that has a 100 calorie burger...no bun, very filling...so I can use that as my starting point and it should be easy to get the rest of them in throughout the day...

What about exercise??..do you all restrict on DD's....scared of passing out for lack of food...LOL!
That should read 1,000 calorie burger!! Oopsies
Old 11-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
I definitely do NOT exercise on DD. It's the guideline so I follow it. I get enough exercise carrying my 28 lbs baby up and down our 4 level t/home! Plus, I do feel "shaky" on DDs. I'm hoping to adjust enough to get there but I don't see a need right now as long as I exercise on UDs. After a few weeks, I will up my calories from 500 to 600 to 700 and then I'll add exercise back in.

Welcome!
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: julietcc
Stats: JUDDD - 118.6/112/112-115 highest weight 194 5'4"
WOE: Atkins, then JUDDD
Start Date: Started JUDDD 10/26/11
Good luck on your up days! Since I started a week ago, I haven't felt much hunger on both down and up days! But I try to get my calories up there. It's really weird.

I guess I need to try harder because I just added up my 7 days and only averaged about 1000 calories. :-( My official 1 week weigh in is in the morning!
julietcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
One DD I ended up eating one ounce of cream cheese (100 calories) every three hours throughout the day. I just didn't want anything more solid than that, but the creaminess of the cream cheese really hit the spot.

Still ended up at around 600 calories, and didn't have hunger much at all.

Whatever works for you on those days.
I love the inventiveness people have for DD I might have to try something like that sometime.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Going at this a little backwards, it seems I'm crossing Inductions...LOL...the first 2 weeks on JUDDD DD's are to just be shakes and I'm eating...but I'm OK with that..Friday (payday) I'll grab some shakes and do a real 2 week induction for JUDDD and OWL for LC to make the most of my UD's....WHEW!

I always said a complicated diet plan wouldn't work for me..but I got this one under control once I'm done inducting...LOL!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

You can do the shakes if you want, but just so you know, almost none of us did the induction set put forth in the book (shakes and bars only for the first 2 weeks DD).

Most eat regular foods from the start, just low calorie stuff. Not that some of us don't have a shake or a bar daily if we want, but I mean you don't have to live on those for your two week induction.

Feel free to just jump in and eat low calorie foods on DD without a shake or bar in sight, if you choose.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:09 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
On your DD, it's fine to eat whatever makes you happy, & keeps you full. For me, that means my Atkins OWL foods, just less of them (ie, cream, protein, lots of veggies, some olive oil, some berries). Shakes would NOT have worked for me, since I can't stand the artificial taste of them. But if they satisfy you, fine.

On your UD, again, you can eat whatever works for you. I also eat Atkins OWL foods, similar to my DD, but with more berries, a lot more oil (coconut, olive, butter, egg yolks), more protein, same amounts of veggies.

I tried JUDDD with the low calorie foods, and it simply didn't work for me. Now that I'm doing it with my usual foods, just a lot less of them, things are much better. (I eat 3 meals on UD, 1 meal on DD, and review the calories at night when I enter my foods into Lose It).

I exercise on both UD and DD.

Last edited by tiva; 11-02-2011 at 05:12 AM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:01 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Oh, and I'm a total odd-ball. I have so much energy on down days it's like my body is itching to make the most of the lower calories lol.
Then count me in as an odd ball too!!, as Dottie i am the SAME way too!! Matter of fact, I only exercise now on my DD. I used to do an average of 3-5 miles power walking daily before finding JUDDD and now I do 3-4 miles on my DD only.. My UD are for resting

Nik Nik,...I also wanted to add ( and I know everyone is different) but drinking the shakes ( Atkins choc) works great for me on DD!! I normally drink 2 per day along with veggie soup, decaf, tea, h20 etc..

HTH
wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Just something of interest - I recently read that the reason one might have tons of energy on DD is because your body (in its primal state) is thinking on DD, "must use energy to find food, must use energy to hunt & gather...") So ages ago, you would have been on the prowl for food, using your reserved energy from the UD to walk, run, hunt, dig, etc. for food. And your UD tomorrow is like the successful hunt
Old 11-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

I think I'm going to try it with the shakes next week...at least a few days...I do like the shakes, but I'm just not sure how filling they will be for me, but it's worth a shot....

I think I'll excersise just when I feel the need, regardless of UD or DD...yesterday I was so bored NOT working out and find that when I do, I sleep better and feel better all around...except that I'm sore today because of my Monday workout...but plan on working out tonight through it...

I ordered the book last night...so I'll read it and then figure out my way to lose from there.

Thank you all so much for the tips, they are so very helpful and it's working!!

BTW - I will NOT be stepping on the scale after any UD's...but won't be straying far from LC Induction carbs so I'm not too worried....just a little paranoid in the beginning with such drastic caloric intakes...LOL....I'll get over it after 2 weeks I'm sure
Old 11-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #24
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Hi, Nik Nik. I hope you're settling into the JUDDD calorie *feast or famine* cycle by now.

One small bit of advice I would like to offer is for you to take care to eat a really nutritious diet these days. When you stop to realize that you are still cutting calories on this plan, well.. actually on any diet plan.. it becomes pretty obvious that our food choices should offer us a lot of varied nutrients.

And especially on JUDDD, when you only eat 500 (or so) calories worth of nutrition on DDs, it becomes even more important to understand why you need to eat well on your UDs. If it was just a matter of cutting out calories, and the lower the better, we could just stop eating. But in addition to wanting weight loss from JUDDD, I hope you are also expecting to improve your general metabolism so that it can help you remain slim forevermore, and the effect of JUDDD on your overall health has been shown in many fasting/restriction studies, so you're going to help your future health hopefully. Yay!

As to the shakes, they are recommended for the first two weeks just as a way to help people keep track of their calorie consumption on the Down Days right at the beginning. But almost none of us did the shakes! I was hungry enough just from cutting the calories down low.. the last thing I needed was to drink some fluid and try to pretend it was a meal! I needed FOOD! To CHEW! LOL

And as to exercising on Down Days.. the book recommends that we don't. But a lot of us do and don't have one bit of problem with that. In fact, there is much excitement in the exercise/body building world these days about *fasted workouts*, finding that the body is forced to pull fat for fuel when the person's tummy is empty. And then after the workout, a bit of protein is given to help repair and build muscle fiber.

Sounds like you are determined and willing to do what it takes, and that makes me expect that you will be losing unwanted weight and slimming down at a good rate. Do be conscious of the fact that if you are exercising and building muscle at the same time you are JUDDDing and losing fat, the scale may show very little weight loss a lot of the days. You can keep a similar weight for quite some time just by building muscle to take the place of lost blubber on that scale, so it can look like you're not losing weight at a very fast pace, when what is actually happening is that you are transforming yourself with a lot more muscle and a lot less fat, which would be an exciting goal!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Hi, Nik Nik. I hope you're settling into the JUDDD calorie *feast or famine* cycle by now.

One small bit of advice I would like to offer is for you to take care to eat a really nutritious diet these days. When you stop to realize that you are still cutting calories on this plan, well.. actually on any diet plan.. it becomes pretty obvious that our food choices should offer us a lot of varied nutrients.

And especially on JUDDD, when you only eat 500 (or so) calories worth of nutrition on DDs, it becomes even more important to understand why you need to eat well on your UDs. If it was just a matter of cutting out calories, and the lower the better, we could just stop eating. But in addition to wanting weight loss from JUDDD, I hope you are also expecting to improve your general metabolism so that it can help you remain slim forevermore, and the effect of JUDDD on your overall health has been shown in many fasting/restriction studies, so you're going to help your future health hopefully. Yay!

As to the shakes, they are recommended for the first two weeks just as a way to help people keep track of their calorie consumption on the Down Days right at the beginning. But almost none of us did the shakes! I was hungry enough just from cutting the calories down low.. the last thing I needed was to drink some fluid and try to pretend it was a meal! I needed FOOD! To CHEW! LOL

And as to exercising on Down Days.. the book recommends that we don't. But a lot of us do and don't have one bit of problem with that. In fact, there is much excitement in the exercise/body building world these days about *fasted workouts*, finding that the body is forced to pull fat for fuel when the person's tummy is empty. And then after the workout, a bit of protein is given to help repair and build muscle fiber.

Sounds like you are determined and willing to do what it takes, and that makes me expect that you will be losing unwanted weight and slimming down at a good rate. Do be conscious of the fact that if you are exercising and building muscle at the same time you are JUDDDing and losing fat, the scale may show very little weight loss a lot of the days. You can keep a similar weight for quite some time just by building muscle to take the place of lost blubber on that scale, so it can look like you're not losing weight at a very fast pace, when what is actually happening is that you are transforming yourself with a lot more muscle and a lot less fat, which would be an exciting goal!
Everything you said hit the nail on the head...I don't worry much about the scale as long as I can see my body change...the weight will come off, but it's more looking good to ME and feeling good to ME that matters most...and I can tell you, since starting 2 weeks ago...I am LOVING the way 6 pounds off is looking and the change in my body...NO..I'm not losing pounds as much as I'd like to, but my body is definitely different and that keeps me satisfied!!

Thank you for all your tips and help