Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 05:26 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
How to get my kids on JUDDD?

Hi All!!

At the suggestion of another Juddd-er here, , I am starting this thread in hopes of learning how to get my kids ( daughter 14 & Son 20 ) to live this life style.

They could both stand to lose a little, perhaps 10-12lbs for her and a good 20-25 for him. I can easily do this woe for myself, but having a hard time trying to figure out how to incorporate this into their age appropriate active life styles

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I couldn't see kids doing it, to be honest. They need food lol. Maybe on your down days, just limit their carbs from sources other than veggies and a little fruit? Instead of a 500 calorie down day, make it a 50g carb day instead?
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I couldn't see kids doing it, to be honest. They need food lol. Maybe on your down days, just limit their carbs from sources other than veggies and a little fruit? Instead of a 500 calorie down day, make it a 50g carb day instead?
Thanks Dottie!!,

I agree totally. Kids need food and i would never expect either of them to adhere to my DD. I just want them to cut back,..way back on all the junk-o-la they tend to eat. Like Sunday, I cooked a nice dinner ( pot roast, w/carrots and potatoes and green peas) I also baked some yams w/cinnamon, brown sugar and pecans. This, i was thinking would be more along the lines of dessert...

Anyway, there was plenty of leftovers for Monday, and since yesterday was my DD, I could not eat any, so decided to serve those leftovers last night...Well fast forward,... when I came home from work this morning...what do i see on the kitchen counter?,...an empty pizza box.....Either they ate the leftovers AND the pizza, or ditched the leftovers and opted for the pizza only...

I'm going to try the controlled carb route and see what happens...

Ask~~~.Believe~~~Receive....

*Look* *Speak* *Act* ...in the direction you want to go, be or do...

Last edited by wastednuffime; 11-01-2011 at 08:02 AM..
Old 11-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
By JUDDD, my first question would be, "Are you really talking about JUDDD, as in the fasting design of this plan, or are you just thinking more along the lines of a general *diet* of reducing calories every day." ?

Humans are diurnal, so we are hugely governed by a 24-hour rise and ebb in the *chemical soup* levels going on in us all the time. Physiologically, we are tremendously governed by our 24-hour rhythms. Humans are among the diurnal animals who follow a feeding pattern of eating during daylight hours and fasting during darkness.

The JUDDD plan takes that a step further and inserts into the rise and fall of our body temps, etc. this pattern of total feasting during one cycle and close to total fasting during the following cycle. That is, each complete circadian 24-hour bio-cycle is designed to either trigger certain full-feeding physiological responses, or to trigger different physiological fasting responses within the following 24-hour bio-cycle. That's JUDDD.

So I'm wondering whether that feeding pattern is what you have in mind for your children. Since going for one *darkness* (nighttime) fasting period, plus one daylight feeding period on only 500 calories, plus a second *darkness* (nighttime) fasting period before the full feeding day of high calories is hard to do until you're used to it, some folks prefer to just use all of their bio-cycles close to each other, and do basically what we think of as *a diet*... that is, lowering the calories to a variable mid-range, and hold down to within that range for all cycles. No daylight feeding cycle is held to the calorie *famine* level between the two darkness fasting periods, and no daylight feeding cycle is brought up to the *feasting* calorie level.

Is this what you have in mind for your children? Because it's not really doing JUDDD, but it's a whole lot easier to adhere to than experiencing the fast, and your children could certainly lose weight if they just did this basic *diet*. That's the traditional way folks have always worked to lose weight. Especially it they did it lower carb....

I just think you need to have in mind what you want to encourage for them, and what health benefits you might have in mind for them in addition to general weight loss. If you decide to encourage them to do actual JUDDD, you might suggest that they start out alternating their feeding cycles between their maintenance calories and maybe their mid-range MD level for a few cycles and then they could work their DD calories down a bit more into DD calorie levels.

Good luck to them. If they truly need to lose some weight, I'm believe it can only benefit them for both their physical health and their mental feelings about themselves. You're a sweet mama to hope to help them.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
I absolutely wouldn't suggest a diet to either child - would only tell them *if they asked*. Kids can be so sensitive, and hearing that you think they need to lose weight could be devastating. OTOH, if you are discussing the longevity benefits...they might be open to that.

But that doesn't mean, as a mom, that you can't serve low calorie lean protein/veggie type foods one day, and high calorie foods the next if you are the one in charge of meals. I also feel that junky snack foods don't need to be in the house, whether your kids are thin or not, as it's simply empty calories. Except occasionally. We hardly ever have frozen foods either - most of them are junk.

Just my thoughts. I have a 14 year old, perfectly acceptable weight range, but he wants a flat stomach. I try my best to verbally reassure him - but also let him cut back if he wants to. I feel it's his body, his choice. It's one of those things that bothers him every once in a while. And with his healthy metabolism, he can cut back and lean out pretty quickly.
2012 lowish Optimal calories, June25th 132.6/124.6/110

Last edited by paulabob; 11-01-2011 at 10:16 AM..
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Hi there, Wasted

I was also going to suggest trying at least 3 days per week cooking low-calorie meals for the family. You could make it every other day or just M-W-F or something. It wouldn't have to be mentioned anything about a "diet" and nobody should go hungry, but it might set a good example of giving the body a rest from high calorie, typical fare and for the other health benefits.

Like Paulabob said, try to keep most junkfood items out of the house except on occasions. In the case of our home, we only buy soda for birthday or other parties (since it's "the expected beverage" by many people). Ice cream is pretty much the same. Chips are bought now and then but the kids know not to eat them all in one sitting but to make them last because they won't be bought again for a while.

Whatever you do, let us know how you and your family are doing
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:59 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Thank you everyone SO much for all your responses and such great advice!!!

What I am going to try is this...

Today's dinner = grilled chicken, green beans, side salad and sliced apples. ( limited carbs)
Tomorrow's dinner = hamburger and pasta ( my home made version of kinda the hamburger-helper thing) ( regular carbs)

Next night's dinner = fish (Talapia) pan fried, home made coleslaw, sweet potato fries ( limited carbs)

I just want to keep the junk to a minimum. I know that kids will be kids and to them they will no doubt be "starving". I also know that with school and the ability to run out and get what they ( well mostly my 20 yr old son) whatever they want is a factor too.

I can't control what they eat on the outside, but i CAN control whats kept in the house!! For my daughter, the school lunches IMHO, suck!!! She told me that yesterday's menu there were two options, chicken nuggets, french fries, macaroni & cheese and a fruit cup...Or..Tacos, fries, noodle soup and choc pudding They seem to have fries daily and several times per week, something called beef-dippers.. she said there are carrots stick every now and then, but actual tossed salad on rare occasions...

None of her buddies brings their lunch, and she doesn't want to stand out in that regard. Her lunch is not free, so basically we are paying for that junk...I told her that she can make the best choice under a bad situation, by NOT eating the daily fries, but ya know how that went over..
Old 11-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastednuffime View Post
None of her buddies brings their lunch, and she doesn't want to stand out in that regard. Her lunch is not free, so basically we are paying for that junk...I told her that she can make the best choice under a bad situation, by NOT eating the daily fries, but ya know how that went over..
LOL, so funny! I know what you mean. I do let my kids eat that junky ole school lunch, and it's one of the reasons I'm more strict about the healthier dinners. Their school lunches, are, IMHO, not any better than fast food, except it's smaller portions. My poor teen boy never gets enough food.... he makes up for it at dinner.
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastednuffime View Post
Thank you everyone SO much for all your responses and such great advice!!!

What I am going to try is this...

Today's dinner = grilled chicken, green beans, side salad and sliced apples. ( limited carbs)
Tomorrow's dinner = hamburger and pasta ( my home made version of kinda the hamburger-helper thing) ( regular carbs)

Next night's dinner = fish (Talapia) pan fried, home made coleslaw, sweet potato fries ( limited carbs)

I just want to keep the junk to a minimum. I know that kids will be kids and to them they will no doubt be "starving". I also know that with school and the ability to run out and get what they ( well mostly my 20 yr old son) whatever they want is a factor too.

I can't control what they eat on the outside, but i CAN control whats kept in the house!! For my daughter, the school lunches IMHO, suck!!! She told me that yesterday's menu there were two options, chicken nuggets, french fries, macaroni & cheese and a fruit cup...Or..Tacos, fries, noodle soup and choc pudding They seem to have fries daily and several times per week, something called beef-dippers.. she said there are carrots stick every now and then, but actual tossed salad on rare occasions...

MMMM those menus you came up with sounds great to me, Wasted!!! I really believe that at some point (now or years down the road) the kids will appreciate the good foods like that you made for them and it will influence them in the future.

For example, of all the foods Mom made over the years when I was growing up, I remember the things like her green beans, vegetable soup, etc. the most and love them to this day!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:43 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: addict1000
Stats: 201/190/150
WOE: LC-IF-JUDDD
I'm late to the conversation, but my 13 year older daughter Judds with me. She is actually doing better than I am! She is all the way through puberty and has to watch things just like every oth woman in the world.

I don't believe in sheltering her from the realities of being overweight.
I would rather talk frankly and give her the tools to be the weight she wants to be.

Last edited by addict1000; 11-06-2011 at 06:46 AM..
addict1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:53 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by addict1000 View Post
I'm late to the conversation, but my 13 year older daughter Judds with me. She is actually doing better than I am! She is all the way through puberty and has to watch things just like every oth woman in the world.

I would rather talk frankly and give her the tools to be the weight she wants to be.
In the world of food that we live in, the odds are stacked against any young woman who isn't taught how to manage her weight to care for her body, just as she is shown how to launder and clean to care for her clothing and future home.

I hope you both get to spend the rest of the years of your life inside bodies that are the slim weight you feel happy with!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by addict1000 View Post

Thank you for sharing this!!

Your daughter and mine are about the same age. Could you kindly give more details. I mean what about lunch at school?, or meals in general? Could you post an example of say a daily menu? Is your daughter doing a modified JUDDD? Aprox how many calories on her DD & UD??

ANY help with you and (your daughter's experience) would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks!