Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Even with JUDDD, carbs are not my friends

Hey there JUDDD buddds, I've learned my lesson. I cannot handle large quantities of carbs. Just can't do it. I'm going to have to temper my eating. As I've mentioned before, my new JUDDD plan included every other Saturday of unrestricted eating. Well, it's just too much. I can't do it anymore. A meal? Yes. A whole day? No. Saturday's craziness bled into Sunday. And today, something that hasn't happened in over almost two years of general "carbage" avoidance: a migraine. I live in fear of these. I get the occular kind that basically blind me. I've had them twice while driving down the freeway. Very scary when cars all of a sudden start to disappear from your sight at 70 mph. Luckily, today, it was while at home and right in between picking the kids up and trick or treating. Maybe it was MSG in the Chinese food or too much stress (been very hectic and stressful last several days), or hormones, or the blood sugar swings -- all of it likely created the perfect storm. I experimented. I learned. I had my fun and paid my price.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
I can't do it either Speck. I envy those who can, but even if I am lucky enough to avoid a full fledged binge I still end up over all just being more hungry. I also start noticing other health issues reappearing such as reflux and snoring.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Hey there JUDDD buddds, I've learned my lesson. I cannot handle large quantities of carbs. Just can't do it. I'm going to have to temper my eating. As I've mentioned before, my new JUDDD plan included every other Saturday of unrestricted eating. Well, it's just too much. I can't do it anymore. A meal? Yes. A whole day? No. Saturday's craziness bled into Sunday. And today, something that hasn't happened in over almost two years of general "carbage" avoidance: a migraine. I live in fear of these. I get the occular kind that basically blind me. I've had them twice while driving down the freeway. Very scary when cars all of a sudden start to disappear from your sight at 70 mph. Luckily, today, it was while at home and right in between picking the kids up and trick or treating. Maybe it was MSG in the Chinese food or too much stress (been very hectic and stressful last several days), or hormones, or the blood sugar swings -- all of it likely created the perfect storm. I experimented. I learned. I had my fun and paid my price.
OMG, you poor thing, that sounds like the most painful, scary thing! At least you have confirmed for yourself and can watch for overdoing the carbs in the future. And you can still reap the benefits of JUDDD with less carbs - most definitely!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I'm sorry, Speck. And, yeah... there isn't anything about JUDDD that can make us particularly more or less sensitive to any foods that are bad foods for us individually. Not having any list of No-No foods from JUDDD won't all of a sudden make them work for us if they never have before.

As always, JUDDD is only about the plan for consuming calories in the feast / famine feeding cycle.

Sorry, you had this crash, but I do think it's another strong *live and learn* lesson for most of us, and in a way... probably another good one to come up against. Because in stepping into the JUDDD eating plan with no food restrictions, we find those food choices are now placed squarely onto our shoulders. In charge of our own food choices for good or for ill, it does often allow us to find out how much further out we can step... and still be safe. And what step takes us out too far.

As with a lot of things, a little is delightful. Too much leaves us feeling terrible.

Hope you feel much better shortly, and I'm really sorry this happened to you.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
for you and hope you are feeling better now.

Sometimes we just have to experiment to find out what we can and can not do.

At least now you know and can plan accordingly AND you aren't going to just keep up with those carbs, even though you can, and cause yourself more harm. I find this alone something that you should be proud of.

I still eat things that cause me pain, and I'll probably never learn my lesson about this!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

yup, yup, yup. Thanks all.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:41 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Sounds awful and scary! I must admit I have also decided to cut the carbs out of my diet (or at least most of them). It sounds great to be able to eat whatever you want, but unfortunately, I cannot reconcile eating carbs with my diabetes. I've got to cut more of them out. It has nothing to do with JUDDD...just the carb level that I had fun eating at for the first couple weeks on the up days
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:35 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
So far my diabetes is doing fine with JUDDD and hi carbs but I know this may not always
be the case. But then I am combining JUDDD and Fast5 so I take my Byetta at 1pm start
eating at 2pm and am almost through eating by 4pm usualy only having about 200 calories between 4pm and 7pm. So I am avoiding eating in the morning when I am much
more insulin resistant and do most of my eating later in the day so my body can handel the carbs better. But yesterday I messed up a little I had about 50 grams of a verry slow
carb about 6:30pm and evidently my body didn't get through digesting it to early this
morning so my fasting blood sugar this morning was a little high. Well in a few hours I
go for my 3 month check up at my endocrinilogist. My blood sugar seems a lot better and
I have lost 20 lbs so I assume my A1c will be a lot better. I sure hope the 20 lb weight
loss makes that skinny ba***rd happy. I was just kidding about that but it is funny that
I have another Dr. who is also fighting his weigth who is a little more understanding about weight problems.
E.W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:25 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
sorry that happened to you!
I'm starting to think the same of carbs. phooey!
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:42 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Ouch! I had migraines as a teenager, and I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. I'm glad you stayed safe.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:50 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Well, my diabetes is 'fine' with higher carb, too...but I don't believe that it will or can STAY fine if I continue to bombard my pancreas (or more specifically, its beta cells) with demands to produce more and more insulin...it can cause burnout of those cells, and more insulin in my blood stream does my insulin resistance no favors.

That is where I am coming from on this.

Not that I think I need to deprive myself ALL the time. An occasional slice of bread won't be harmful, but by occasional, I do NOT mean every day, or even every other day, or even once a week. That is just the harsh truth I have to face....
Old 11-01-2011, 08:09 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

I like that we've all felt free on JUDDD to experiment and find out our limits.

There's just no way every "body" will thrive on the same exact diet. Some do best on vlc, others need higher carbs to feel their best.

At least us JUDDDers have found that at the very least, we can enjoy some of our carb favorites on occasion, which makes for a more enjoyable life overall when you don't have to stress and worry about having a small slice of cake on your birthday, or a scoop of your favorite dish on the holidays. That's something we might have deprived ourselves of unnecessarily if we hadn't discovered JUDDD.

MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:43 AM   #13

Without any food lists, there is no guidance for us when it comes to food choices. We're on our own, free to eat anything. So that's when our own discernment needs to come into play. This is probably another of those *To Thine Own Self, Be True* situations where we, ourselves, alone, are the best ones to exercise our judgment.

Perhaps one of the nice things about JUDDD for us all will end up being the gift of actually figuring out what carb level we can really live and eat at, enjoy, and not be overdoing it.

Since so many of us seem to go a bit overboard with the carbs when we initially start this plan, even though JUDDD is only about a feast/famine feeding pattern and has nothing to do with food choices, we apparently are more than happy to use the absence of a food list to jump back into the carbs, so we must have been sorely missing them and hoping to be able to enjoy them once again in life.

And I think most of us will be more than able to do that.. but not by going overboard.

Here's to JUDDD for allowing us complete freedom when it comes to our food choices, and Here's to our innate common sense when it comes to moderating those food choices somewhat.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:21 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RileyWorm
don't feel bad, i think that's my problem too. carbs=binge. i'm going to stay away from carbs on up days because i just get too crazy and stay off plan for several days. ugh!! this weekend was triggered by pulled pork nachos and i just went nuts all weekend.
RileyWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Thought I'd chime in as another low carber on JUDDD. Carbs over a certain amount means I'm never full.

I started JUDDD with the two day free eating that you do on hcg before a round. Had 4000 calories the first day, AND NEVER FELT FULL. Yes, my stomach was full, but I still felt hungry and unsatisfied.

I can have maybe 40 net carbs...sometimes push it to 50. But after that, I'm just asking for a never full feeling. I think some of us are just built this way? I've been hypoglycemic my whole life, as well as a sister and father.

I think it's like anything else...some people don't feel full except with lots of fat, some people don't feel full except with lots of carbs, and some don't feel full except with lots of protein (that's me).
2012 lowish Optimal calories, June25th 132.6/124.6/110
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:53 AM   #16

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Paula. As the years have passed, I'm more completely inclined to believe that we are not all the same in what foods we thrive on. So a big chunk of red meat that sits in my stomach like an uncomfortable heavy lead weight might well not even be enough to whet someone elses appetite, let alone cause them any digestive distress.

Darling avatar picture, Paula!
Old 11-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #17

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Having eaten some cakes on Saturday evening I am only today feeling 'right' again. Nothing to do with weight gain or cravings, more a kind of tight skin. You could describe it as bloating, but that makes me think of my tummy feeling full, which was not the case.

So although Carbs aren't forbidden me I shall approach them with care. As Pat said somewhere else, apple = okay, apple pie = maybe not.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emky
Stats: CW:144 GW:130
WOE: Atkins + Shangri-la
Start Date: January 2014
I found I can't handle carbs either. My bulimia has returned with a vengeance these past two weeks since I've returned sugar/grains to my diet. I'm now finding it very hard to return to low carb, but it's something I've gotta do. I'm sticking with JUDDD though.
emky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sissiesue
Stats: 173/129/129
Start Date: September 27, 2010
Add me to the list! It's not that carbs make me sick -- they don't, and I lived for years quite happily as a vegetarian who ate lentils, brown rice, etc. -- but I definitely feel better on a low-carb diet, even with JUDDD. I don't like the bloating and water retention and general inflammation that comes with too many carbs.

Who knows what the future hold, though!

I'm so glad that folks on here are so tolerant of others' WOE. There really isn't one diet for everyone -- we all have to find our own best way.
Sissiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/low carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Same here, but it's not a weight issue, more an immediate health issue for me. I do fine with much more veggies, and even things like nuts and dairy to an extent, and things like small amounts of rice to eat sushi once in a while, but when it comes to wheat products and refined sugar, I've found that eating them even semi-regularly (ie. one small item 1-3 times a week) started causing serious digestive issues again and insane bloating and even brought back reflux, which really scared me.

I'm still positive about JUDDD though, and I definitely plan to continue for another couple months at least!
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

First, thank you all for your well-wishes and supportive comments, and personal perspectives. I'm just settling in for a couple hours rest after a very long day at work. I still felt "off" today. I've never quite had a reaction like this. I was so anxious on my drive to and from work today (50 minutes each way) thinking it might happen again, I nearly caused myself to panic. I just want to feel normal again! I feel like I'm falling apart. Gahhh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Without any food lists, there is no guidance for us when it comes to food choices. We're on our own, free to eat anything. So that's when our own discernment needs to come into play. This is probably another of those *To Thine Own Self, Be True* situations where we, ourselves, alone, are the best ones to exercise our judgment.

Perhaps one of the nice things about JUDDD for us all will end up being the gift of actually figuring out what carb level we can really live and eat at, enjoy, and not be overdoing it.

Since so many of us seem to go a bit overboard with the carbs when we initially start this plan, even though JUDDD is only about a feast/famine feeding pattern and has nothing to do with food choices, we apparently are more than happy to use the absence of a food list to jump back into the carbs, so we must have been sorely missing them and hoping to be able to enjoy them once again in life.

And I think most of us will be more than able to do that.. but not by going overboard.

Here's to JUDDD for allowing us complete freedom when it comes to our food choices, and Here's to our innate common sense when it comes to moderating those food choices somewhat.
You are so right. I can eat higher carbs, especially veggies, nuts, things like that. But the grains and take out, I'm thinking especially bad for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I think you've hit the nail on the head, Paula. As the years have passed, I'm more completely inclined to believe that we are not all the same in what foods we thrive on. So a big chunk of red meat that sits in my stomach like an uncomfortable heavy lead weight might well not even be enough to whet someone elses appetite, let alone cause them any digestive distress.

Darling avatar picture, Paula!
Again, so with you there. I don't even want to say the things I used to think. I was just so ignorant. The older I get, the more I think anything is possible. Even though we humans are all set up according to the same basic plan, our bodies are like ecosystems, and there is a great deal of variation among and between us as to how more variables than I can imagine interact with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanteira View Post
Same here, but it's not a weight issue, more an immediate health issue for me. I do fine with much more veggies, and even things like nuts and dairy to an extent, and things like small amounts of rice to eat sushi once in a while, but when it comes to wheat products and refined sugar, I've found that eating them even semi-regularly (ie. one small item 1-3 times a week) started causing serious digestive issues again and insane bloating and even brought back reflux, which really scared me.

I'm still positive about JUDDD though, and I definitely plan to continue for another couple months at least!
Yes, yes, yes! I really think this is what did me in. Oddly, there wasn't too much wheat in what I ate, mostly it was corn and rice. Whatever it was, just want to get it behind me.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
I suffer from migraines myself. I have had ones that make my eyes bulge and water. I also get auras as well. I have had some that just kept me in the tub w/all the lights out

I do find MSG is a trigger. I can eat chinese food OCCASSIONALLY but I have to be careful and I NEVER, repeat, NEVER mix caffiene and MSG. I have had serious chest pain and irregular HB from that...scary...

Thanks for sharing.
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_gal View Post
I suffer from migraines myself. I have had ones that make my eyes bulge and water. I also get auras as well. I have had some that just kept me in the tub w/all the lights out

I do find MSG is a trigger. I can eat chinese food OCCASSIONALLY but I have to be careful and I NEVER, repeat, NEVER mix caffiene and MSG. I have had serious chest pain and irregular HB from that...scary...

Thanks for sharing.
I feel lucky that I don't get the debilitating pain from mine. After the aura stops, then the pain starts, but it's not skull crushing. Yesterday I actually had, for the first time, a "double". The first aura hit (I took an 800 mg ibuprofen immediately), it lasted for about 30 minutes, then about an hour later another aura for another 30 minutes. The thing that freaked me out with your post was that, knowing caffeine usually helps me with "normal" headache pain, I drank TWO iced coffees!! Maybe that's what brought on the second aura. Eggads! No, thank YOU for sharing!! eek.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

My carb issue is SUGAR, those carby things we think of as closest to being "sweets", such as candy, milk chocolates, cookies, etc.

I seem to be able to handle other carby things like breads, chips, pastas, at least at a moderate level, but give me a box of Girl Scout cookies and LOOKOUTNOW!!!

Glad we are all finding our limits and still able to enjoy more food freedom on JUDDD
Old 11-02-2011, 08:57 PM   #25
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
My carb issue is SUGAR, those carby things we think of as closest to being "sweets", such as candy, milk chocolates, cookies, etc.

I seem to be able to handle other carby things like breads, chips, pastas, at least at a moderate level, but give me a box of Girl Scout cookies and LOOKOUTNOW!!!

Glad we are all finding our limits and still able to enjoy more food freedom on JUDDD
EXACTLY me ^^^^^ Sugar and sugary snacks are my ENEMY!! I can eat all the crunchy/salty/grainy carbs but give me a candy bar or a brownie and I'm in terrible pain and eating my way through the kitchen!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:38 AM   #26

Well after all my plans to eat Low Carb, last night I had some garlic bread followed by a mushroom risotto. Over 2,000 cals for the day and down .2 lbs tis morning. 1650 is supposed to be my limit...........
Old 11-03-2011, 04:41 AM   #27

Congrats on being down in weight this morning. Congrats on what sounds like a fabulous dinner! Yum! And just drink lots of water today and do a good DD to counter the big UD.

Way to enjoy yourself on JUDDD, and I'll bet that will even do your metabolism some good.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:51 AM   #28

Yes, water, good idea. I plan on a very gentle day today to be knind to my old body. At 64 I should know better that to do two classes, but they were fun.

I really am enjoying JUDDD, thank you.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:12 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Yes, water, good idea. I plan on a very gentle day today to be knind to my old body. At 64 I should know better that to do two classes, but they were fun.

I really am enjoying JUDDD, thank you.
I'm looking at your avatar picture and thinking there must be some sort of difference in the *exchange rate* between our years and your years in the UK.

Like applying that exchange rate, being age 64 in the UK would translate into our actual age 30 years younger than that over here!

I know that our clothing is sized differently. Obviously we don't count the years the same either! You're gorgeous!
Old 11-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #30

Pat, bless you, you are so sweet. Needless to say I chose a flattering photo for my avatar, and I did have a face lift about 9 years ago when I first lost my 56 pounds. I decided that the laughter lines were fine but the 'wattle' under my chin did not represent any of my character so it went, lol.

Love your exchange rate idea though, wish it were true. I couldn't believe your age when you mentioned it somewhere (I have read so many JUDDD threads lately). We must start a mutual admiration society!