Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: putthekettleon
Results of Blood Test...

Yikes! I am officially "pre" diabetic, whatever that means. I always thought either you have diabetes or you don't!

My doctor, who amazingly knows about nutrition, wants me following a low carb diet. Period. He said abandon calorie counting. When I protested, he said ok, I can have an awareness of calories, but my focus MUST be on reduced carbohydrates.

I'm really scared, and I'm going to follow what he said. He gave me a few different reduced carb diets to think about. He mentioned something called The Metabolism Miracle, which he said he really likes. He said he puts all his diabetics on this plan (he's an endocronoligst).

So now I'm off to do some research. I will miss you JUDDDers, but still drop in from time to time to say hi. You are such a great group.
putthekettleon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Hi Kettle, thanks for stopping in!

Please remind me, I can't remember if you ever started JUDDD or were just thinking about it?

I assume by pre-diabetic, that your doctor saw numbers elevated to a level that was a warning sign that if things don't change, you could develop full-blown diabetes.

I think a lot of people in this country are hovering around that level and probably don't realize it. I wonder how close I came myself with the insulin resistance. The last time I was at the doctor it was a year ago and I hadn't started all the gaining (that came in Nov.). I will never know what tests would have shown if I'd had tests run when I was carrying 25 - 30# over the last year!

Glad that you'll be dropping in to visit - you are here all the time!
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Sophie. Yes, my blood sugar numbers were red-flagged. Thank you for the warm welcome Sophie.

You guys are just amazing.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RileyWorm
sorry to hear that kettle! it sounds like you have a good doctor who has a food handle on your situation. good luck to you!!!
RileyWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
It sounds like he is not against your calorie restriction so much as wanting the calories you do eat to come in the form of lower carb choices, and that you eat more evenly throughout your day.

I wish you the best.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
HUGS

I understand how that feels (only I didn't get the 'pre' part). I think it is awesome that your doc supports low carb to treat diabetes. Very cool....! I have had fights with doctors over this issue!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
That's great that you're taking a proactive approach to your health, and great that your doctor is working with you on low-carb diets. Good luck! I'm sure you'll see a significant response in your blood sugar on low carb.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I've been dx with pre-D for over a year now. It's what got me back looking at LC and related food plans. I highly recommend you look up the Blood Sugar 101 site, and find a good supportive Diabetes board.

I find that LC, IF, and now JUDDD have helped me control my blood glucose readings a lot. I know from using my meter the sorts of foods and meals that raise my BG, and I avoid them. I also know how much carbage I can eat, and what kinds (1/2 cup oatmeal spikes me, but 1/3 cup doesn't, for instance. I can tolerate barley better than brown rice. Everyone will be a bit different).

I hope you let us know how the Metabolism Miracle works for you. I looked into it, but it's too low-fat focused for my tastes. I started with the Insulin Resistance Diet, which really helped me see how to limit carbs and to balance the carbs I do eat with protein so to avoid high spikes in BG.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

You guys are the best. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by putthekettleon View Post