Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   What was your exercise for the day?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/743665-what-your-exercise-day.html)

kel7298 10-31-2011 08:07 AM

What was your exercise for the day??

:hiya: I thought it might be nice to have an exercise thread to help encourage us to get more fit.

Today I walked 3 miles using Leslie Sansane, Walk Away the Pounds. From warm up to cool down it was 54 minutes. :D

Dottie 10-31-2011 08:37 AM

I went shopping this morning and will do floor (ball) exercises later followed by total gym upper and lower:)

Lori-s 10-31-2011 08:55 AM

I walked the dog (30 minutes with a jack russell - Ha!)
And am just ready to do my 30 minutes on the treadmill (3 mph)

betty301 10-31-2011 09:22 AM

chest/back for me this morning.

sophiethecat 10-31-2011 09:24 AM

Great idea for a thread! Maybe this will motivate me to get going with exercise again.

I am going to go shopping in a while and then later tonight I'll be doing a little walking related to trick-or-treat and festivities going on around here.

It's a start :)

betty301 10-31-2011 09:41 AM

I love exercise. I'm pretty much a gym rat.
technically I am a certified personal trainer, but I'm not working as of now. I took the time off to heal myself and get healthy from the inside out.

If any of you need ideas, help etc..feel free to ask! :)

kel7298 10-31-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betty301 (Post 15137044)
technically I am a certified personal trainer, but I'm not working as of now. I took the time off to heal myself and get healthy from the inside out.

You might regret telling us this..haha. ;)

avecrain 10-31-2011 11:40 AM

I'm gonna take my mom's yoga class at 4:30 (she's a teacher), but besides that I don't know if I'm gonna do anything else. I live at home and am unemployed so I normally work out a LOT but I started giving my body a rest about a week ago and it's enjoying it...so I haven't been doing my normal sprint workout on up days. I think I'm going to get back to it this Wednesday though! I've still been doing my long walks (2 hours/7 miles) on DDs though, and I love that.

RileyWorm 10-31-2011 01:47 PM

zumba on ps3 move! it is so much fun!

sophiethecat 10-31-2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betty301 (Post 15137044)

Thank you! That's so generous of you! :shake:

betty301 11-01-2011 04:27 AM

nope, no problems. I love to help!
Ave- I loooove sprinting!! I can't do it often because of my bad knees. But hill sprints might be ok every once in awhile. Will you still go on long walks when its c-c-c-cold(er)?

kel7298 11-01-2011 06:58 AM

This morning I did 20 min of strength training with Bob Harper, then 25 min on the elliptical.

Betty - Is it true you should only work in your mid-range cardio range, as the upper range really does more harm than good, or is this just an ole wise tale for slackers :)

Dottie 11-01-2011 07:04 AM

Today is light weights and pilates.

avecrain 11-01-2011 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betty301 (Post 15139035)
Ave- I loooove sprinting!! I can't do it often because of my bad knees. But hill sprints might be ok every once in awhile. Will you still go on long walks when its c-c-c-cold(er)?

Yeah, sprinting is great! I do 8 20-second sprints and just try and get the heart rate down between. They make me feel so good! I will definitely keep walking. I went to school in Vermont, so now being home in Maryland, I can't see it feeling TOO cold. I'm also a warm bodied person---I'm fine and I'm fine and I'm fine until all of a sudden I'm way too cold! I may cut down my 2 hour walks to 1 hours in the dead of the winter though, lol...

Bummer about your knee! Physical things that stop you from doing whatever exercise you want to be doing are the worst. It feels like you should be rewarded for WANTING to exercise!

sophiethecat 11-01-2011 07:43 AM

I'm going to do some Callanetics by 2 p.m. today. First time in probably a month! I'll also restart my weight routine.

This is a DD though. Anyone have trouble with exercise then? I should probably eat right after shouldn't I, to prevent a blood sugar drop?

betty301 11-01-2011 10:01 AM

Ave- oooh, Vermont. We were stationed in Maine for 4 years. I'm spoiled here now. :)

Kel- oh I wouldn't worry so much about those details. If you are using cardio as a form to burn some cals I would say it should be challenging. Mouth breathing I call it. You can talk but you don't really want to, lol. As you get better at cardio you naturally have to make it more challenging.
But really? Fat loss is mostly what happens outside of the gym. The 22 hours or so that we aren't exercising at all.

Sophie- a small serving of protein would be good before you exercise no matter if it's DD or UD. But beware, you will probably be MORE hungry..

Nik Nik 11-01-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betty301 (Post 15140215)
But really? Fat loss is mostly what happens outside of the gym. The 22 hours or so that we aren't exercising at all.

:eek:

I don't know why this excites me so much!! Can you please explain this better? I'm not going to stop working out because I love the way I feel when I do...and I love the way my body changes...but SERIOUSLY?? LOL!!!

I'd love to imagine sitting at my desk all day just burning fat!!

sophiethecat 11-01-2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik Nik (Post 15140696)

I don't know why this excites me so much!! Can you please explain this better? I'm not going to stop working out because I love the way I feel when I do...and I love the way my body changes...but SERIOUSLY?? LOL!!!

I think she meant after the workout is done - your body is still busy building muscle...?

sophiethecat 11-01-2011 12:34 PM

Ugh, I didn't get in a workout after all. Within the last 30 minutes, I suddenly felt like I was getting sick... nausea started coming on. I don't know if something is going around or what..?? Or maybe I was just hungry, but it's not like it to make me feel like this. Could be something hormonal, I guess, it's TOM.

I've noticed several people on the forum mentioning feeling sick lately, perhaps something has caught up wtih me.

I am now on the couch sipping beef broth, hoping this passes soon.

sazzie 11-01-2011 12:45 PM

Normally, on Tuesdays and Fridays I do resistance training at the gym, but I was not feeling up to par today, so decided to wait until Friday.

I'm feeling a lot better this afternoon, so maybe I'll just do some upper body on my Total Gym.

kel7298 11-01-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik Nik (Post 15140696)

Me too! Makes me wonder if I should be exercising at all. The past 18 months, I have been kicking my butt (so to speak) and getting nowhere. Maybe I am doing too much?

Hope you feel better Sazzie and Sophie!

RileyWorm 11-01-2011 01:41 PM

zumba again! today was a DD too, felt allright through-out.

sophiethecat 11-01-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kel7298 (Post 15140781)
Me too! Makes me wonder if I should be exercising at all. The past 18 months, I have been kicking my butt (so to speak) and getting nowhere. Maybe I am doing too much?

Hope you feel better Sazzie and Sophie!

Thanks, Kel, it's about 7 p.m. and I am feeling a lot better now.

betty301 11-02-2011 05:53 AM

lol, what I meant was you can exercise all you want but if you are not making good choices OUTside of the gym, then it's really easy to undo all the work you put INSide the gym. 'Oh, I went to the gym today, I think I'll have a medium pizza!' lol

I'd have people complain all the time that they weren't losing, etc. And then I'd ask them to keep track of what they were eating for a couple days.

9/10 there diet was pure junk. And eating at night because they felt bored or because they felt entitled, etc.

Also, it doesn't hurt to find more ways to 'play more.' Go on a walk during lunch. Take the kids to the park, etc. I'm always trying to find ways to be active.

SoHappy 11-02-2011 06:36 AM

From everything I've ever read on the subject (and it applies to me for sure..) you lose very, very little fat from exercise. Even building up more muscle will do very little to help you lose weight. Weight loss is mostly from what you don't eat!

But you know what they say... Diet make you look fabulous in your clothes.. Exercise makes you look fabulous naked! :laugh:

kel7298 11-02-2011 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15142628)
But you know what they say... Diet make you look fabulous in your clothes.. Exercise makes you look fabulous naked! :laugh:

haha...I have never heard that. :jumpjoy: Thanks!

Thanks Betty. I knew that, just wishing I heard it wrong :hyst:

Today I walked 3.5 miles using Leslie Sansane Walk Away The Pounds.

Nik Nik 11-02-2011 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by betty301 (Post 15142447)
lol, what I meant was you can exercise all you want but if you are not making good choices OUTside of the gym, then it's really easy to undo all the work you put INSide the gym. 'Oh, I went to the gym today, I think I'll have a medium pizza!' lol

I'd have people complain all the time that they weren't losing, etc. And then I'd ask them to keep track of what they were eating for a couple days.

9/10 there diet was pure junk. And eating at night because they felt bored or because they felt entitled, etc.

Also, it doesn't hurt to find more ways to 'play more.' Go on a walk during lunch. Take the kids to the park, etc. I'm always trying to find ways to be active.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15142628)
From everything I've ever read on the subject (and it applies to me for sure..) you lose very, very little fat from exercise. Even building up more muscle will do very little to help you lose weight. Weight loss is mostly from what you don't eat!

Awwww man:p LOL!!! Oh well...guess there's no substitute for hard work;)

And I am aiming for the look good naked part...LOL!!! Once that happens the clothes will look AWESOME!! :up:

Dottie 11-03-2011 06:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Good morning!
wow I was cleaning my "crap I bought and stopped using" closet yesterday and ran across a 6 second abs machine. I used it, and you can really feel it in your abs - upper and lower and obliques. But I remember why it was in the closet: I have huge bruises across my thighs this morning.
If I can figure out how to NOT do that, I may throw in 10 minutes of that before my pilates to warm up and get a little extra targeting of those muscles in.

kel7298 11-03-2011 07:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 15145429)
Good morning!
wow I was cleaning my "crap I bought and stopped using" closet yesterday and ran across a 6 second abs machine. I used it, and you can really feel it in your abs - upper and lower and obliques. But I remember why it was in the closet: I have huge bruises across my thighs this morning.
If I can figure out how to NOT do that, I may throw in 10 minutes of that before my pilates to warm up and get a little extra targeting of those muscles in.

Based on the picture, just guessing here, you pull down the arms? If that is the case, you might try putting a book on each thigh under each leg?

Today was Bob Harper: Inside Out Method - Pure Burn Super Strength - but I couldn't finish the whole hour. I topped out at 50 min.

Hey Betty I have another question. Any truth to this:

If 30 minutes on the elliptical a day keeps the muffin top away, then surely 60 minutes will shrink the entire muffin, right? Wrong. Gym rats log endless hours on the elliptical with the hope of fitting into their skinny jeans, but their efforts may be conspiring against them, McCall says. When the body is physically or emotionally stressed, it pumps out cortisol, a stress hormone that causes belly fat to plump up. Between the 45 to 60-minute mark, there is no gain for the work you do. Exercising after this point will start to break your muscle down because cortisol will surge. The effect is magnified in exercisers who skimp on calories -- the body is forced to rely on the protein in muscles for energy, storing the carbs you eat as belly fat. Banish that bloated tummy by eating a balanced diet, cutting back on your workouts and adding interval training. If you normally spend an hour on the Stairmaster at the same intensity level, try a 40 minute session with a twist. Alternate two-to-four minutes of hard climbing with two-to-four minutes of easy climbing.

Dottie 11-03-2011 09:16 AM

Hi Kelly:)
Yes pretty much, though it does engage the stomach muscles more than the arms. Good idea -i'll try that!
I bought the Bob Harper dvd set for son, i think it's still in the packaging lol.