Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   When Weighing Foods, Have You Ever Noticed... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/743429-when-weighing-foods-have-you-ever-noticed.html)

Joedi 10-29-2011 07:55 AM

When Weighing Foods, Have You Ever Noticed...

....that you are being short-changed? :mad:
Since starting Juddd, I have been especially particular about weighing foods...(I am going through scale batteries like nobodies business! :laugh:)

I have noticed that the number on the packet is not always the same as the amount of food inside the package!

For example..my tin of tuna said 130g drained weight...I got 99g!

My bag of peanut M&M's said 45g...I got 39g :mad:

Despite the fact that the companies are misleading us....on our DD's those extra calories could be an extra snack! :D

Another good reason for weighing our foods! Mind you, I am getting pretty good at eyeballing portions...I guess the weight, then weigh it to see how close I am...I am either a bit under, or right on the money!

hugs
Jo
x

kris4chloe 10-29-2011 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedi (Post 15132013)
....that you are being short-changed? :mad:
Since starting Juddd, I have been especially particular about weighing foods...(I am going through scale batteries like nobodies business! :laugh:)

I have noticed that the number on the packet is not always the same as the amount of food inside the package!

For example..my tin of tuna said 130g drained weight...I got 99g!

My bag of peanut M&M's said 45g...I got 39g :mad:

Despite the fact that the companies are misleading us....on our DD's those extra calories could be an extra snack! :D

Another good reason for weighing our foods! Mind you, I am getting pretty good at eyeballing portions...I guess the weight, then weigh it to see how close I am...I am either a bit under, or right on the money!

hugs
Jo
x

interesting. i have lost my scale and need to buy a new one. i have been relying on the package amounts. dang it on the m&m's i would want those extra 6g, :hyst:

Joedi 10-29-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kris4chloe (Post 15132445)
interesting. i have lost my scale and need to buy a new one. i have been relying on the package amounts. dang it on the m&m's i would want those extra 6g, :hyst:

:mad: I did!
And I had my UD cals exactly where I wanted them! I know those 30 or so cals made no difference...but I had a nice round calorie total..dang it :D

jo
x

Sissiesue 10-29-2011 10:21 AM

YES! I weight a supposedly 6oz container of mushrooms last night, and it was only 5!

My tuna was the same. The drained weight was not what the can said it should be. :mad:

Dottie 10-29-2011 02:39 PM

Yep! And that can add up to a lot of calories we're NOT getting that we think we are. Take tuna, sardines, oysters, etc in oil. If the tin doesn't specify "drained weight" then they count that oil in the calories. 3oz of oysters is is 57 calories. 3oz of smoked oysters in oil is 120 calories. Since you're probably draining off that oil, the actual oysters is about 2oz - 1oz of that 3oz is oil and liquid, so you're counting around 70 extra calories. On a down day, that can be an extra snack or even meal that you're not really eating.

paulabob 10-29-2011 03:30 PM

Yes, I stopped going to one grocery store because their expensive cuts of meats were off...like 20-25%. It really matters on your Down Days when you expect 4 sections of 5 ounces of salmon but only get 4 4 ounce portions instead.

Plus my tyson chicken wings...WAY off.