Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nik Nik
Stats: 196 / 185/ 165
WOE: Atkins/JUDDD
Start Date: 10/20/2011
CONVINCED!!

OK, so I've read the threads and a little on the JUDDD website...I have more reading to do but I think I'm pretty convinced to try it out! I'm going to finish my first 2 weeks of induction and then get going on the JUDDD WOE....so I think next Saturday will be my first day....starting on a UD?? I'm thinking would be best

I want to try this because I have a hard time getting in calories anyway, so this way I won't have to beat myself up about eating so little...and on my UD's I can go to the gym and workout without fear of sending my body into starvation mode....I still plan on sticking to the LC WOE, but I'll get my calories up by adding in some fun things like Toast and sandwiches and my almighty chinese food and LEMONADE!!! LOL!! I'll give it a shot for the month of November and see what happens...

If you wouldn't mind, I need some DD food ideas..I have no problem eating the same thing every day and it's easier if I can pre-make anything...no frankenfoods if you can keep it as simple as possible.... I truly appreciate it!

Happy losing!!! I will see you soon!!

10/19/2011--began the rest of my life...again!
196/185/165- New goal!

Nik Nik is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Nik Nik!! Glad to have you join us. There are two stickies at the top of our forum with DD recipes and food ideas. You'll be well prepared by the time you start JUDDDing.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nik View Post
OK, so I've read the threads and a little on the JUDDD website...I have more reading to do but I think I'm pretty convinced to try it out! I'm going to finish my first 2 weeks of induction and then get going on the JUDDD WOE....so I think next Saturday will be my first day....starting on a UD?? I'm thinking would be best

I want to try this because I have a hard time getting in calories anyway, so this way I won't have to beat myself up about eating so little...and on my UD's I can go to the gym and workout without fear of sending my body into starvation mode....I still plan on sticking to the LC WOE, but I'll get my calories up by adding in some fun things like Toast and sandwiches and my almighty chinese food and LEMONADE!!! LOL!! I'll give it a shot for the month of November and see what happens...

If you wouldn't mind, I need some DD food ideas..I have no problem eating the same thing every day and it's easier if I can pre-make anything...no frankenfoods if you can keep it as simple as possible.... I truly appreciate it!

I may be completely misunderstanding your plan outlined here, Nik Nik, but it sounds like what you have in mind is to combine two opposing ways of eating and dieting in order to cancel the effectiveness of both of them. Using the one to cancel out the benefit of the other.

It sounds to me like you're going to low carb for a couple of weeks (one more from now) and that will have used up all your body's carb stores and made you lose a lot of water weight, and then you are going to go onto the JUDDD plan and try to gain that lost water weight back again by adding back in the high carbs of toast and sandwiches and Chinese food and lemonade. So the low carbing will be canceled out by the higher carb Up Days. And the weight loss shown on the scale from water weight lost, will be gained back again on your high carb days on JUDDD.

I may be misunderstanding, but if what I see is the case, why not just save the two weeks of low carbing and start directly on JUDDD. Otherwise, it just seems like you will be *undoing* your initial low carb efforts when you add back in the carbs. That's like pretty much wasting two weeks of your diet time.

Maybe I'm completely not seeing what your plan is here. But, I do truly think it doesn't work so well to combine two opposing eating strategies. You can absolutely and successfully combine the JUDDD rotation plan with eating low carb choices, and you can absolutely also eat at a higher carb level on JUDDD and be very successful! But combining those two eating concepts doesn't work very successfully. I just don't see the advantage of two weeks of low carb *depletion* if you are going to turn around and start to fill on carbs again.

I just don't want you to spin your wheels if there's a good way around it and to make it simpler for you.

Looking forward to you joining us here on the JUDDD Forum though! You're going to love it, and be thrilled with your foods and your weight loss both.

Last edited by SoHappy; 10-28-2011 at 09:36 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I may be completely misunderstanding your plan outlined here, Nik Nik, but it sounds like what you have in mind is to combine two opposing ways of eating and dieting in order to cancel the effectiveness of both of them. Using the one to cancel out the benefit of the other.

It sounds to me like you're going to low carb for a couple of weeks (one more from now) and that will have used up all your body's carb stores and made you lose a lot of water weight, and then you are going to go onto the JUDDD plan and try to gain that lost water weight back again by adding back in the high carbs of toast and sandwiches and Chinese food and lemonade. So the low carbing will be canceled out by the higher carb Up Days. And the weight loss shown on the scale from water weight lost, will be gained back again on your high carb days on JUDDD.

I may be misunderstanding, but if what I see is the case, why not just save the two weeks of low carbing and start directly on JUDDD. Otherwise, it just seems like you will be *undoing* your initial low carb efforts when you add back in the carbs. That's like pretty much wasting two weeks of your diet time.

Maybe I'm completely not seeing what your plan is here. But, I do truly think it doesn't work so well to combine two opposing eating strategies. You can absolutely and successfully combine the JUDDD rotation plan with eating low carb choices, and you can absolutely also eat at a higher carb level on JUDDD and be very successful! But combining those two eating concepts doesn't work very successfully. I just don't see the advantage of two weeks of low carb *depletion* if you are going to turn around and start to fill on carbs again.

I just don't want you to spin your wheels if there's a good way around it and to make it simpler for you.

Looking forward to you joining us here on the JUDDD Forum though! You're going to love it, and be thrilled with your foods and your weight loss both.
Goodness I certainly hope that's not the case!! What I'm trying to do is stay LC....I know I can eat that way the rest of my life....but I wanted to try JUDDD because I want to up my carbs gradually and I was HOPING that using that program will get the weight moving a bit quicker

Since my problem is not getting enough calories due to lack of appetite, I was thinking the DD's would fit right in there...I can eat less food and therefore less calories...but the food will still be LC. On my UD...I wanted to still eat LC...but get my calories up by adding my still good LC food, or basically any REAL food...my veggies, fruits, whole grains, etc....the "cheat" foods are just something I can look forward to because I "can" due to the no food restictions...is that not right???

BUT...if you're telling me that this is only going to make me gain the weight back that I've lost or that this is not going to work, then it's easy enough to just stay LCing since I know has worked for me in the past....trying to find a happy medium here....No?
Old 10-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Goodness I certainly hope that's not the case!! What I'm trying to do is stay LC....I know I can eat that way the rest of my life....but I wanted to try JUDDD because I want to up my carbs gradually and I was HOPING that using that program will get the weight moving a bit quicker

Since my problem is not getting enough calories due to lack of appetite, I was thinking the DD's would fit right in there...I can eat less food and therefore less calories...but the food will still be LC. On my UD...I wanted to still eat LC...but get my calories up by adding my still good LC food, or basically any REAL food...my veggies, fruits, whole grains, etc....the "cheat" foods are just something I can look forward to because I "can" due to the no food restictions...is that not right???

BUT...if you're telling me that this is only going to make me gain the weight back that I've lost or that this is not going to work, then it's easy enough to just stay LCing since I know has worked for me in the past....trying to find a happy medium here....No?
I can't say it *won't* work for you the way you hope. Only that usually when we hold to low carb and empty our bodies of stored carb fuel, that releases out all our water weight too, and we pee that out. So the scale shows a great weight loss, which isn't fat.. it's just from that shed water. Hence, *water weight*.

And then, as we add more carbs back into our diet, we also add more water weight back in with those carbs. So if you add carbs back in very gradually, the water weight may accumulate back again quite gradually too. So, happily, not as noticible on the scale, and you know us humans.. if we don't notice it creeping back, it doesn't bother us. LOL

We have a lot of folks here who eat low carb and do JUDDD for extra fast weight loss. But they usually don't alternate low carb Down Days with higher carb Up Days.

You could give this a try and see how it works for you! Doing the JUDDD plan isn't anything that will hurt your rate of weight loss from the plan itself, as JUDDD doesn't have anything to do with our food choices, with what we eat. That's up to us.

But it's hard to do any low carb diet plan and make it work when you alternate eating low carb with days of eating the higher carb foods like toast and sandwiches and Chinese foods and lemonade anyway, so that's not just a JUDDD thing. It's more a low carb thing.

Hope you will join us here.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Alright, I think I'm looking to do the JUDDD along with the LC....so what is different here? Just not adding more carbs on UD??

If it's just LC....I'm going to have the same problem I have now and if I can barely get to 1100 calories on LC now...I know I'm going to struggle to try to get 2000 in using only LC....

I'm so confused now...UGH!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Alright, I think I'm looking to do the JUDDD along with the LC....so what is different here? Just not adding more carbs on UD??

If it's just LC....I'm going to have the same problem I have now and if I can barely get to 1100 calories on LC now...I know I'm going to struggle to try to get 2000 in using only LC....

I'm so confused now...UGH!!!
No, no.. this is going to work out wonderfully for you. Hang in there.

This might be a way for you to consider. Do JUDDD. Figure out your calorie numbers and follow them. Do the Up Day and Down Day rotation, as per the plan. JUDDD doesn't have anything to do with your food choices.

Then, do low carb for your food choices. That is, low carb on your Down Days, and low carb on your Up Days. Here is where you don't want to *cheat* by eating high carb choices on some of your days. That just makes low carb not work very well. Which means, not giving you the benefits that I assume you want out of your low carb plan.

In order to get in more calories on your Up Days, you will eat more of the higher calorie foods that are completely on plan for you. These will include more butter and cheese and cream, more nuts and olives and another roasted chicken thigh, etc.

Those who are here doing JUDDD but following a low carb diet plan will be here to help and guide and advise you. You can so-o-o-o do this and succeed!

And I'm excited to welcome you here and applaud you as you succeed!

Last edited by SoHappy; 10-28-2011 at 10:48 AM..
Old 10-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
No, no.. this is going to work out wonderfully for you. Hang in there.

This might be a way for you to consider. Do JUDDD. Figure out your calorie numbers and follow them. Do the Up Day and Down Day rotation, as per the plan. JUDDD doesn't have anything to do with your food choices.

Then, do low carb for your food choices. That is, low carb on your Down Days, and low carb on your Up Days. Here is where you don't want to *cheat* by eating high carb choices on some of your days. That just makes low carb not work very well. Which means, not giving you the benefits that I assume you want out of your low carb plan.

In order to get in more calories on your Up Days, you will eat more of the higher calorie foods that are completely on plan for you. These will include more butter and cheese and cream, more nuts and olives and another roasted chicken thigh, etc.

Those who are here doing JUDDD but following a low carb diet plan will be here to help and guide and advise you. You can so-o-o-o do this and succeed!

And I'm excited to welcome you here and applaud you as you succeed!

WHEW!!! LOL...OK...I think that is something I can handle

Thank you so so much for your input!!! I can't wait to get started!!!

I will be back very soon with Day 1 excitement!!!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
I'd suggest that you JUDDD, along with your low-carbing, but now that you're done with 2 weeks of induction, JUDDD can work well with moving into Phase 2 (ongoing weight loss) of Atkins, moving through the carb ladder gradually, as Atkins suggested. Don't stay at 20 carb grams per day, as so many people do. Instead, follow the progression in Atkins for Life or one of other other news Atkins books. The books and Atkins web site have the carb ladders, but if I remember correctly, each week you add in 5 more grams of daily carbs, selecting from nuts, then berries, then starchy veggies, and then whole grains if they agree with you. As you add these carbs into your eating, you can also do JUDDD at the same time.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Quote:

Hey Nik! Welcome to the dark side. I stalled on straight low carb at the beginning of this year and after trying this that and the other thing and not breaking the stall, I just entered maintenance. My version of maintenance, I realized, was pretty much JUDDD. So I decided to give it a try. It's been a little over a week, and I've lost 2.6 pounds. I still try to stay under 50 carbs a day, as I am convinced that, like alcohol, sugar and starch is not good for me except in moderation.
On my down days, I find it easier to just stick with a general formula: protein shake of almond milk and protein powder for breakfast, homemade veggie soup for lunch, lean protein and salad for dinner. So far, I'm satisfied with this and am not interested in buying low-fat/low cal versions of things or devising low calorie recipes and such. Maybe that will change as time goes on.
And yes, most of the recommendations I've seen say start with a down day.

Good luck!
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote