Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Okonomiyaki challenge :) (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/743211-okonomiyaki-challenge.html)

piratejenny 10-27-2011 05:19 PM

Okonomiyaki challenge :)

I heard of this delicious Japanese pancake a few months ago, and just watched a video on how to make it, and I think it would be an excellent DD food!

I don't have ingredients to experiment with tonight, plus I already have supper planned, but I think we could start with either the psyllium + egg white tortilla recipe, and/or some glucomannan (which I also don't have right now). The cook in the video grates some yam that instantly becomes very mucilaginous...really reminded me of some of the weird gloop I've been cooking on DDs! :D

Then you add veggies (I'd do mushroom, cabbage, and scallions for sure) and seafood! or chicken! shirataki noodles! whatever!

I've seen a few Asian-inspired low-cal sauce recipes floating around here;
if you have a good one, could you please re-post?

What do you say, BUDDDs? Anybody feeling it? :yummy:

Joedi 10-27-2011 05:22 PM

will check it out tomorrow..its past midnight here!

Am thinking, those chopsticks would be good for dd's...even the smallest meal would last for hours!

hugs
Jo
x

SoHappy 10-27-2011 05:32 PM

I don't have a poodle to put on the counter/stove while I make this. Will a cat work?

Speck333 10-27-2011 05:42 PM

Japanese pizza!

Sissiesue 10-27-2011 06:28 PM

I used to make this! What a good idea. I'm gonna try a DD version tomorrow, perhaps. :jumpjoy: Friday night treat!

I love the dog. The tonjiru recipe (another cookingwithdog video) looks really good -- miso base with some veggies and a bit of pork. A nice DD soup!

Now I'm gonna watch the whole series. :laugh:

darlingnikki 10-27-2011 06:35 PM

the pumpkin pottage recipe looks good too!

(love the dog)

piratejenny 10-27-2011 07:33 PM

Also, isn't it fun to say?!!
"What'd you have for dinner?"
"S̶t̶i̶r̶-̶f̶r̶y̶ Okonomiyaki."

I :heart: words with lots & lots of syllables!!!

vilanteira 10-27-2011 08:24 PM

Holy smokes that looks fabulous! And not too much work either. I'm already thinking of my own substitutions. I'd probably want shrimp. I need to write down a list of all these great menu ideas for DDs (and maybe UDs too)! :jumpjoy:

wcwendy 10-27-2011 09:48 PM

I'm not doing JUDD but I love okonomiyaki so I came in to see what's going on. :D

sophiethecat 10-27-2011 10:43 PM

This was so entertaining to watch and listen to! :D

Looks wonderful - yummy! :yummy:

Hope one or more of you come up with a recipe to share with us! :aprayer:

Debrat3 10-28-2011 12:29 AM

She didnt even give the dog a bite...:sad:

stardustshadow 10-28-2011 12:57 AM

Okonomiyaki was probably the number one strangest dish I ate while in Japan. That does not mean BAD, just ODD (as in the combination of flavors).

Sometimes it comes with fish flakes on the top (bonito) that MOVE from the heat of the cooking plate!!

Joedi 10-28-2011 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoHappy (Post 15127800)
I don't have a poodle to put on the counter/stove while I make this. Will a cat work?

Lol! I have 6 cats... When cooking meat it is hard NOT to have a cat on the counter!
I have been know to put the ingredients, plus my hands, in the microwave to prepare, so the cats can't sneak up and steal!

Hugs
Jo
X

SoHappy 10-28-2011 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joedi (Post 15128667)
Lol! I have 6 cats... When cooking meat it is hard NOT to have a cat on the counter!
I have been know to put the ingredients, plus my hands, in the microwave to prepare, so the cats can't sneak up and steal!

Hugs
Jo
X

Laughing as I picture you trying to ward off the cats. Our old calico just twines herself around my legs, hoping I'll give her a tidbit or something will be dropped. :)

LuvLatte 10-28-2011 01:00 PM

This looks like something I would love!! :yummy:Thanks for sharing it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debrat3 (Post 15128611)
She didnt even give the dog a bite...:sad:

Oh I know! My doggie babies would have been staring at me and wanting their share! And depends on what it is (whether it's good for them), they'll have their share, :o

piratejenny 11-07-2011 08:17 AM

I made these last Saturday, but the power went out (for 6 days!!!) as I was cooking the last one and I didn't get a chance to post my results!

This was my preliminary recipe:
(I didn't have glucomannan at the time; it might be better with that instead of guar gum)
BATTER
1 tsp guar gum
1 tbsp psyllium husk
1/2 c water
1/2 c egg whites
1/4 tsp salt

few shakes of garlic powder and ginger
few shakes of 5-spice powder (not Japanese, I know!)
1 tsp toasted sesame oil (for flavor)

2-3 c shredded cabbage/cole slaw mix
1 scallion, sliced thin
sliced mushrooms
sliced red & green peppers
boiled shrimp, chopped

I thought the inside was a bit moist/gummy but my son didn't notice or complain.
I made 4 pancakes--2 with shrimp for me, 2 with seitan for DS.
They started out as a DD meal, but I ended up frying them with sesame oil
and garnishing with a teriyaki sauce and spicy mayo!
Still, lower calorie than the original recipe with flour and whole eggs. :)