Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ragdoll24
Stats: 203/cw110.2/108.6 LDW
WOE: LC,IF,RX hCG Simeons for last 20 lbs. Phase3
Start Date: January 2007
A few questions for Pat/So Happy

Pat, many thanks for your encouragement and knowledgeable posts. You are an inspiration to all.
Would you be kind enough to share your "backstory" with us.
How did you come to the JUDDD WOE? What WOE were you on before JUDDD?
How long have you been doing JUDDD?
What have your results been and are you at or near goal now?
TIA,
Barbara
Ragdoll24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragdoll24 View Post
Pat, many thanks for your encouragement and knowledgeable posts. You are an inspiration to all.
TIA,
Barbara
YEA, GREAT IDEA!! Thanks Barbara for starting this thread!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
TIA,
Barbara
I don't quite even remember the *why* of starting JUDDD. I've been doing that here for a little over a year, and was really excited to start it. But I don't know why it never occurred to me to do calorie cycling before. I've read about the calorie restriction / length of life studies for years. A bit of my story I re-posted below, in answer to another poster's questions, but before coming to JUDDD I'd been able to lose some weight using old fashioned dieting. LOL Like pulling hen's teeth, but low carb didn't work for me. (And frankly, I don't buy into all of the current *there are almost no good carbs* pronouncements too much anymore.)

I'd become obese in my middle years after having been slim for almost all my life. Although I had been active too, so I'm sure that helped me. I won't go into details, but I got FAT. FAT. I don't talk about my weight. The actual scale numbers aren't as important as the fact that I was obese and hated being fat. But fat I remained. I'm mid-way between 68 and 69 years old, have had a badly broken thyroid for years (hypothyroid), fibromyalgia, arthritis (thanks, Dad and Grandma).

I'd lost weight from eating less food previously, just general dieting, and was happy to come to JUDDD, and continued to lose weight on JUDDD, but after awhile here, I come to focus so much more on its strong influence on other aspects of my health and well being and mental health.

As I lost weight, I always took a break and maintained for awhile at wherever I was, and then went on to lose a bit more and maintain again. Right now I'm in maintenance, as you see me in my avatar picture. I'm not as slim as I was as a young woman, but I'm fairly content right where I am at this time. I maintain here easily. I'm a little leery of losing too much more.. as that really brings the wrinkles into fuller depth, and my face is wrinkled enough as it is. But... maybe I will decide to take another shot at it one of these days. Who knows?

Anyway, here's what I posted on another thread here. This tells a little bit more of my thoughts.

I came to LCF many years ago. I was obese, but I was hopeful. I read and I listened and I bought into it. I could talk the talk, and did. I spread the word to all who would listen. Carbs are bad. You fatten livestock on corn.

I ate low carb. Truly and absolutely low carb. I walked the walk. I paid attention to the absolute pronouncements of those who posted those absolute pronouncements. Carbs were poison.

I read Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, but I instead followed the diet pronouncements of the carbs-are-killing us people. I forgot what Dr. Atkins had told us, planned for us, hoped for us, and prepared a step-by-step guide for us... back to not just slenderness, but to good health. Including carbs in our diets.

And for many people (me especially, since this is my story) the shocking difference between what I was doing with my diet here and what he preached was staggering. In his book, Atkins for Life, Dr. Atkins sets out examples of complete menus for 40 days at the maintenance level. I read 1 slice of whole wheat bread along with breakfast, a dinner roll with lunch, a small potato at dinnertime. I was shocked.

And then I remembered his true plan, which was for us to learn how to eat this world's huge variety of foods in healthful moderation, and from all three of the macro-nutrient groups.. fat, protein, and carbohydrate.

I'd remained true to very low carb. I was excited by my amazing immediate weight loss. And then it stopped. Low carb didn't work as well for me as it apparently did for many others. I stalled and that was that.

I'm old enough that I remember what my world was like decades ago. And the foods we ate then. This was before there was much in the way of convenience foods. Mamas cooked from scratch. And we ate some of everything. And nobody was fat. I truly don't remember a single member of my extended family, or the people in my little mid-western town back in the late 1940's and the 1950s, when I was growing up, as being overweight people. When you look over photographs of people back then, there are almost no fat people!

But people had a lot of carbohydrate in their diets. And it's not that they *worked so hard* back then, etc. They were bankers and teachers and clerks and mamas and seamstresses, and all the other jobs that people do, that aren't working hard, sweaty physical labor. They ate plenty of carbs, and they managed their weights just fine.

I'm a heretic these days in that I don't buy into it all 100% anymore. I don't believe that fruit is poison. I don't believe that potatoes are why I became obese. I don't believe that I can't include chocolate chip cookies or a slice of cherry pie in my diet anymore without harm! I just don't.

I don't believe that I have to be depleted of *water weight*. I don't believe that I have to be in ketosis* And I no longer believe that my body has to run on ketones and can't also put carbohydrate fuel to good use too.

By remaining low carb for so long, I seemed to make myself more and more and more carb sensitive. I didn't lose weight, and I realized that I didn't actually feel all that healthy either. And I was absolutely becoming aware that my mood and spirit were sinking too. I began to wonder when I had developed an underlying sense of irritability about most everything. Somewhere along the line, somewhere over the low carb years, I had been brought down emotionally, so slowly that I'd never even noticed it happening. I'd lost my joy, my gladness, my inner sunny spirit, my innate sense of thankfulness about it all, about life in general. Frankly, low carb depressed me.

I went back to thinking about it all for myself. I stopped listening to the talking heads, vocal mouthpieces, the latest guru who writes a book, the million and one bloggers. As I thought about it, I thought that Mother Nature gave us both plants and animals, each with some fats, and I was just going to eat some of everything.

I absolutely no longer care what anyone else eats, or says, or advocates. I include carbs and really enjoy them and have lost a lot of weight now by including them in my diet. I'm back to feeling wonderful again, and mentally happy and vibrant again. My health checks are always great, my lab reports are always great, I approach 69 years old so much happier with my diet than when I did strictly low carb. So that's why I eat like this now.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ragdoll24
Stats: 203/cw110.2/108.6 LDW
WOE: LC,IF,RX hCG Simeons for last 20 lbs. Phase3
Start Date: January 2007
Many thanks Pat for your post re: your WOE. You are a great role-model for us, WTG!
Ragdoll24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: wastednuffime
Stats: 330+ / 172.5 / ???
WOE: Healthy eating and T25 baby!!!!
Thank you for sharing this!!!!!
wastednuffime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Many thanks Pat for your post re: your WOE. You are a great role-model for us, WTG!
Well, I'm not entirely sure that's true. Unless you plan to enjoy fine breads again in your life. I brought home two breads for my freezer for the upcoming Holiday Season.. a big round loaf of artisan Cranberry Walnut bread, and two loaves of artisan Raisin Pecan bread.
And a dark, dark pumpernickle rye.

The thing is..... I just decided I really didn't want to have to spend any more years of my life passing on the dense cheesy potato casserole, the fabulous pastries up at the little French Cafe a few blocks from here, the fine breads and exquisite desserts and foods of the world, just because some were higher carb. I just wasn't going to do that anymore.

All I needed was a way to be trim and eat it all, both! JUDDD has turned out to be it.

And truthfully, I think sometimes people reading think that all we do eat is carbs now, but I don't. I eat all the luscious low carbs foods I ate for several years of low carb, not losing weight, but enjoying the foods. Lots of good recipes. Lots of good food. I still love my breakfast eggs and bacon. (Well.. not so much bacon..) I still love my roasted skin-on chicken thighs and my steak with butter melted all over it besides. I love whipped cream, and we go through pounds of butter here. I cook with chicken fat and use coconut oil some.

I just like the carb foods TOO.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
You keep mentioning Artisan bread Pat!
It sounds delicious!
I have never liked bread much...to me it is just a bit bland and tasteless...but the ones you describe are anything but.
Is Artisan a brand, or just as way of saying fabulous flavoured bread?

Thanks for your story...so much of what you say I can relate to!

You make an interesting point about Dr A's book...the diet he recommends is a moderate carb one...the low carbs seem to be just a kick start. I think people think if moderate is good..low must be even better...but for a lot of us..it just isn't!
Those that go really low are held almost in awe...as having more self control, or dedication than those that go higher.

hugs
Jo
x

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedi View Post
You keep mentioning Artisan bread Pat!
It sounds delicious!
I have never liked bread much...to me it is just a bit bland and tasteless...but the ones you describe are anything but.
Is Artisan a brand, or just as way of saying fabulous flavoured bread?

Thanks for your story...so much of what you say I can relate to!

You make an interesting point about Dr A's book...the diet he recommends is a moderate carb one...the low carbs seem to be just a kick start. I think people think if moderate is good..low must be even better...but for a lot of us..it just isn't!
Those that go really low are held almost in awe...as having more self control, or dedication than those that go higher.

hugs
Jo
x
Here's a little blurb to explain a bit about what an *artisan* bread is:

"..........Artisan bread is exactly what its name suggests: bread that is crafted, rather than mass produced. Baked in small batches rather than on a vast assembly line, artisan bread differs from prepackaged supermarket loaves in a number of ways. Special attention to ingredients, process, and a return to the fundamentals of the age-old bread-making tradition set artisan bread apart from soft, preservative-laden commercial breads.

Whereas a store-bought loaf of mass-produced wheat bread might have nearly twenty ingredients, artisan bread will have closer to five. The basic building blocks of bread are flour, water, yeast, and salt. Sourdough is added for some breads; eggs and sugar for others.

For a more complex, flavored artisan bread, the ingredients list might expand to include various other items, all of them recognizable: sliced onions, cheddar cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, olive oil. Bread has been around for centuries. No chemicals were added to the breads baked by ancient Egyptians or those mentioned throughout the Bible, and none are added to artisan breads now.........."
Old 10-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Thanks for sharing, Pat!

And I *SO* want a slice of that artisan bread!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
Thanks for sharing, Pat!

And I *SO* want a slice of that artisan bread!
I want some of the fabulous Danish bread you have access to there!

My aunt was Danish, and had the best dense sweet rye bread recipe. Only it was called Swedish Rye.

Seriously, I could saw off slabs of that stuff and slather butter on it and make it be the entire meal. It was fabulous. I need to track down my cousin and see if she has her mother's recipe for that bread.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:42 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
Pat, I agree w/ so much of what you say regarding carbs. My forebears ate a high carb diet w/o being fat or unhealthy. Of course they did not indulge in Doritos, cinnamon rolls from a package, etc on a regular basis. They at home cooked meals like everyone else back then.

I carried an extra 20 lbs for years because I overindulged in high carb food. Most of it was home made & I figured since I baked those choc chip cookies I should certainly eat my fair share. I love potatoes & would usually eat double portions. Cutting carbs to about 80-100 worked like a charm for me. Of course portion control became automatic w/ this diet. I am able to maintain as long as I dont eat extra helpings. Starchy food portions are kept small .

That said I think Judd has benefits above & beyond weight loss. I have read some about calorie restriction & Judd is a less painful way to practice that. And yes, you are very inspiring!!

"obesity is a complex problem and it will not be shoehorned into simplistic hypotheses"
Stephan Guyenet
Heidinem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:44 AM   #12
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Well I'm an oldie but not so goodie lol. And remember clearly when you visited my journal...Post 144 and you were very happy to find JUDDD. I think you took off from here. It was a natural fit for you.

But I would love to see new photos of your skinny little self cuz just cuz I'm in the WPP, doesn't mean I'm not a photo hound lol and love seeing everyone
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Well I'm an oldie but not so goodie lol. And remember clearly when you visited my journal...Post 144 and you were very happy to find JUDDD. I think you took off from here. It was a natural fit for you.

But I would love to see new photos of your skinny little self cuz just cuz I'm in the WPP, doesn't mean I'm not a photo hound lol and love seeing everyone
Ha! I didn't even remember that post! I thought I must have been JUDDDing for a year or so. This turned out to be a really good plan for me, and an easier way to maintain than I could imagine. I know myself well enough to know two things: If I am restricted totally, I'll go off the plan eventually. And if I'm not somewhat restricted, I'll spiral beyond the point of no return. This is still a perfect plan for me. Hold back on DDs and enjoy like there's no tomorrow on UDs. And stay about the same size as the weeks go by.

I'll try to get a pic one of these days. Sister has the camera, well.. her camera. I'm still about the same as in the photo. Although I can grab a little handful of denim out from the hips of that pair of skinny jeans now. I keep them tumbling in the dryer on hot for quite awhile now to shrink them up as much as possible.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sazzie
Stats: HW164/137.8/135-139
Pat, so many facets of your story ring true for me, also!!!

Thank you for sharing!!
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LuvLatte
Stats: 135/141/123 @ 5'3" and 46 yo
WOE: LC on and off. Now whole foods & JUDDD
Start Date: Restart: 9/21/2011 w JUDDD at 145
Thank you, Pat, for sharing your story and for always being an inspiration to us!

I lost on LC but then would always regain it, because I couldn't live without the breads and pasta (not everyday, but I do love them!), and especially fruits. I think I just need to get into the groove of things and this is a lifestyle I can live with.

Again, thank you, Pat!!
LuvLatte is offline   Reply With Quote