Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
JUDDD and carbs

Hey, all -

I've been reading on the main forum and on this one about the joys of JUDDD that many of you have experienced.

Here's my question/concern: from what I've gleaned, many of the JUDDDers started out on LC - Atkins, or some similar LC plan. During your time on LC, weren't you pretty convinced that most carbs - esp. processed starches and sugars - were really detrimental to health, contrary to what the governmental "Powers That Be" have told us for so many years? I've seen some of you talk about the research of such enlightened folks as Dr. Atkins and Gary Taubes and their work re. carbs' effect on blood sugar, insulin, fat storage, cholesterol, inflamation, etc, etc., and how carbs make us heavy, sick and tired. Now I see that many of you have embraced carbs again w/the JUDDD way of life.

So I guess my question really is, for those of you who were convinced that low carb was the way to go, how have you reconciled adding back certain carbs on a regular basis with what you've learned about their health effects? I can see from the posts that there are many ways to do JUDDD and that some of you do JUDDD in a more low carb style. BUT for those of you who were formerly against carbs, and are now eating them regularly, have you changed your thinking about them? And is it really JUST about weight loss, as opposed to long term health?

Please don't take this as me bashing JUDDD - I'm not and am actually considering going this route. I am just trying to learn and am curious as to what you all have discovered. THANKS!
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainemom View Post
Hey, all -

I've been reading on the main forum and on this one about the joys of JUDDD that many of you have experienced.

Here's my question/concern: from what I've gleaned, many of the JUDDDers started out on LC - Atkins, or some similar LC plan. During your time on LC, weren't you pretty convinced that most carbs - esp. processed starches and sugars - were really detrimental to health, contrary to what the governmental "Powers That Be" have told us for so many years? I've seen some of you talk about the research of such enlightened folks as Dr. Atkins and Gary Taubes and their work re. carbs' effect on blood sugar, insulin, fat storage, cholesterol, inflamation, etc, etc., and how carbs make us heavy, sick and tired. Now I see that many of you have embraced carbs again w/the JUDDD way of life.

So I guess my question really is, for those of you who were convinced that low carb was the way to go, how have you reconciled adding back certain carbs on a regular basis with what you've learned about their health effects? I can see from the posts that there are many ways to do JUDDD and that some of you do JUDDD in a more low carb style. BUT for those of you who were formerly against carbs, and are now eating them regularly, have you changed your thinking about them? And is it really JUST about weight loss, as opposed to long term health?

Please don't take this as me bashing JUDDD - I'm not and am actually considering going this route. I am just trying to learn and am curious as to what you all have discovered. THANKS!

Pesonally...I'm still conflicted, especially since I am a diabetic (albeit a very well controlled one!). There are certain carbs that would be OK on the maintenance rungs of Atkins (in the form of veggies, fruits and whole grains).

Basically I am taking these first 2 weeks on JUDDD to experiment and see what and how much my body can tolerate, and if I lose on this plan or not! I have played with the idea of just doing 'juddd low carb'. But on the other hand, these two weeks give me a chance to enjoy some foods that i have not been able to eat for a LONG time, and see what happens.

One thing I noticed was that the 'negative' carb effects, what we are sure will happen to us if we eat carbs (start feeling ill, or get bloated, or gassy or have bad skin, or be hungry all the time) did not happen to me. I am pretty sure that this is because I have made more intelligent carb choices than I did pre-atkins (more whole foods, like dark rye bread and fruit, and combining carbs with fats and proteins when I eat them).

I've had some success so far....but then TOM struck and I gained the usual 4 pounds overnight I'm sad that I probably won't see any more losses until those pounds get flushed out as TOM progresses...I guess the ultimate test of JUDDD for me will be how I stand next Wednesday morning when I get on that scale.

Maybe JUDDD will help me de-criminalize some foods...maybe not. I am *HOPEFUL* though!! I am having a rough time dealing (mentally) with my TOM gain this month (not because it is any different than it is any other month) but because I ate carbs...and so in the back of my head there is this TERROR that it is not just water but real weight, though logically that makes no sense).

Anyhow...I still believe that carbs are the least healthy food group to eat. I think that sugar is especially poisonous, especially when eaten in the quantities that most people consume it in. But I also think that I have trained my mind and my body over the past 1.5 years (almost) to eat more sensibly with the knowledge I have, and because of a much reduced weight, maybe tolerate a higher level of carbs.

It's all a big experiment...!! Cross your fingers for me...!

Last edited by stardustshadow; 10-27-2011 at 08:13 AM..
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Just because I chose to do JUDDD did not give me license, at least in my mind, to undo ALL the wonderful things LCing did for me. I KNOW from LCing that not eating sugar helps my Fibromyalgia so much and I KNEW that just because I COULD eat it now, it just wouldn't be a great idea because of the pain. I watch WHAT I eat, but not how many carbs I eat anymore and there is NO "black list" of foods, only the ones I decide not to eat, not the ones I'm told I "can't" eat.

I eat what some would call a high carb WOE, but most of those carbs are from veggies/fruits/WHOLE unprocessed grains like brown rice, oatmeal, etc. I do eat some processed foods (whole grain bread, cereals) than I did while LCing but they are not a part of my everyday eating plan. And I READ EVERYTHING on the ingredient list of these processed foods before I even think to buy and eat them. HFCS is NOT a part of my WOE on JUDDD, or enriched white flour, processed sugar, and anything else that is "junky" in my mind. I just won't go there even though I can!

The point I'm trying to make is this: Knowing how wonderful eating a lower carb/unprocessed grains/no sugar WOE is why would I totally discard these proven facts when I decided to do JUDDD? There was/is NO reason to undo all the good LC did for me just because I CAN now eat anything I want. I can eat anything I want but those things are good, wholesome foods that may be higher in carbs, that is all. They are NOT processed junk!

I still make my own bread for my UDs, all my own desserts, watch my whites (potatoes are the only thing I have added back in that is "white" and NOT french fries, either) and make all my own meals when I can. Eating out I STILL tend to make LC choices, it's just the way my mind works with eating now after all those years of LCing.

Carbs, GOOD carbs, are NOT my enemy and it was actually when I started to eat my higher carb JUDDD WOE that the weight started to melt off me, my mind became clearer, my depression lifted, I wasn't hungry all the time and thoughts of food is now the last thing on my mind everyday.

JUDDD fits me like a glove, but a nice, fashionable GOOD food glove, not one riddled with junky food holes just because I "can" have those foods!! I just don't!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 10-27-2011 at 09:15 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Hey, all -

I came to LCF many years ago. I was obese, but I was hopeful. I read and I listened and I bought into it. I could talk the talk, and did. I spread the word to all who would listen. Carbs are bad. You fatten livestock on corn.

I ate low carb. Truly and absolutely low carb. I walked the walk. I paid attention to the absolute pronouncements of those who posted those absolute pronouncements. Carbs were poison.

I read Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, but I instead followed the diet pronouncements of the carbs-are-killing us people. I forgot what Dr. Atkins had told us, planned for us, hoped for us, and prepared a step-by-step guide for us... back to not just slenderness, but to good health. Including carbs in our diets.

And for many people (me especially, since this is my story) the shocking difference between what I was doing with my diet here and what he preached was staggering. In his book, Atkins for Life, Dr. Atkins sets out examples of complete menus for 40 days at the maintenance level. I read 1 slice of whole wheat bread along with breakfast, a dinner roll with lunch, a small potato at dinnertime. I was shocked.

And then I remembered his true plan, which was for us to learn how to eat this world's huge variety of foods in healthful moderation, and from all three of the macro-nutrient groups.. fat, protein, and carbohydrate.

I'd remained true to very low carb. I was excited by my amazing immediate weight loss. And then it stopped. Low carb didn't work as well for me as it apparently did for many others. I stalled and that was that.

I'm old enough that I remember what my world was like decades ago. And the foods we ate then. This was before there was much in the way of convenience foods. Mamas cooked from scratch. And we ate some of everything. And nobody was fat. I truly don't remember a single member of my extended family, or the people in my little mid-western town back in the late 1940's and the 1950s, when I was growing up, as being overweight people. When you look over photographs of people back then, there are almost no fat people!

But people had a lot of carbohydrate in their diets. And it's not that they *worked so hard* back then, etc. They were bankers and teachers and clerks and mamas and seamstresses, and all the other jobs that people do, that aren't working hard, sweaty physical labor. They ate plenty of carbs, and they managed their weights just fine.

I'm a heretic these days in that I don't buy into it all 100% anymore. I don't believe that fruit is poison. I don't believe that potatoes are why I became obese. I don't believe that I can't include chocolate chip cookies or a slice of cherry pie in my diet anymore without harm! I just don't.

I don't believe that I have to be depleted of *water weight*. I don't believe that I have to be in ketosis* And I no longer believe that my body has to run on ketones and can't also put carbohydrate fuel to good use too.

By remaining low carb for so long, I seemed to make myself more and more and more carb sensitive. I didn't lose weight, and I realized that I didn't actually feel all that healthy either. And I was absolutely becoming aware that my mood and spirit were sinking too. I began to wonder when I had developed an underlying sense of irritability about most everything. Somewhere along the line, somewhere over the low carb years, I had been brought down emotionally, so slowly that I'd never even noticed it happening. I'd lost my joy, my gladness, my inner sunny spirit, my innate sense of thankfulness about it all, about life in general. Frankly, low carb depressed me.

I went back to thinking about it all for myself. I stopped listening to the talking heads, vocal mouthpieces, the latest guru who writes a book, the million and one bloggers. As I thought about it, I thought that Mother Nature gave us both plants and animals, each with some fats, and I was just going to eat some of everything.

I absolutely no longer care what anyone else eats, or says, or advocates. I include carbs and really enjoy them and have lost a lot of weight now by including them in my diet. I'm back to feeling wonderful again, and mentally happy and vibrant again. My health checks are always great, my lab reports are always great, I approach 69 years old so much happier with my diet than when I did strictly low carb. So that's why I eat like this now.

Last edited by SoHappy; 10-27-2011 at 09:03 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:58 AM   #5
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
I'm new to JUDDD but I was doing paleo/primal before and it allowed more good carbs via fruit, sweet potatoes and natural foods.
I don't really see any conflict, for me, about that type of eating and JUDDD.
It's certainly an individualized program!
If you eat something and it messes with you, don't eat it again lol
But you can easily stick to low-carb, just make sure you eat your proteins and fats on your up days! And you can cram an awful lot of low-carb veggies into the DD's
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: addict1000
Stats: 201/190/150
WOE: LC-IF-JUDDD
My years of LC changed my belief on what is healthy and what is not.

I used to think that certain meats and fat where unhealthy and that bread was healthy.
LC of course turned all of that on its head...

I have always had a certain percentage of unhealthy foods in my diet...even when I was trying to LC because I would inevitably binge.

I have come to realize that eating healthy does not necessarily lead to weight loss unfortunately. I separate the goals in my mind.

I am trying to eat healthier, but I would rather have the occasional unhealthy junk food eaten with control than try to never have it and binge on it.

I try my best to keep to healthy choices and I am finding that just knowing I can have the cheetos makes it easy for me to choose the nut chips instead.

Just knowing I can have a Reeses peanut butter cup makes it easy for me to eat an apple and peanut butter instead.

My diet is actually better on average than clean days and then a junky binge day.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Hi MaineMom! You asked VERY GOOD questions! And I'm glad you did because this is something I had to think about myself as I embraced more carbs again, and we aren't the only ones who had this go through our minds.

First, I was looking back over my carb counts since I started (I never pay much attention to them anymore, but figured them up just now). I've been doing JUDDD for over 2 weeks.

On my DD (down days) I average 40 grams daily. This is total, I haven't adjusted for fiber or anything. Of course I eat a lot less food anyway on DD so there is that to consider.

On my UD (up days) I average a lot more carbs - 132 grams, without subtracting for fiber. There have been some really UP days as far as carbs go, where I was enjoying foods I hadn't had since I started LC - eating out at restaurants, having some sweets, etc... I still enjoy a number of the "naughty" foods on each UD, what people would consider BAD carbs. Yet an average of 132 grams of carbs isn't a horrible, terrible amount when you consider the government recommendation is 300 grams per day! My highest day yet hasn't reached anywhere near that and I consider myself one of the "baddest" of the bad here in the darkside of JUDDDland, what with my occasional Big Mac & fries, or pizza & chips, or wine and chocolate

I'm actually eating more veggies on JUDDD than I was on my LC woe (I kept my carbs at <30 grams daily). DD make vegetables almost an essential food item.

On LC, I was eating less calories each day, about 1,000 - 1,200 due to the appetite suppression of ketosis, but I was losing very slowly. I had stalls of 2 - 3 weeks where I would not lose, then my body would grudgingly give up a pound or two. I have read that ketosis slows the metabolism after a while. So does daily calorie restriction.

The "magic" of JUDDD is that with its "feast or famine" eating, it keeps the body from slowing its metabolism. You eat low calories on DD, and before the body can register that it needs to lower the metabolism to hold onto fat, you're suddenly indulging in everything you want/need and it sees that you're not starving after all, and back and forth.

That brings me to calorie restriction itself. Over the years I have read of the numerous benefits of lowering one's calories, yet it is sooo hard to do on a daily basis for a long time. With JUDDD, it doesn't have that same sense of deprivation. One thing that convinced me that maybe carbs weren't the epitome of evil was that calorie restriction could do wonderful things and it didn't matter if there were carbs in the diet. My own "proof" is how inflammation is apparently lowering in my body and I'm experiencing much less acne than before. It's nearing that TOM so I have a couple small pimples, but if you check out the "Skin on JUDDD" thread, I was plagued with big, hard cysts all across my jawline and down onto my neck. It got better with LC, but now on JUDDD, the cysts are gone! I haven't stopped getting those cysts for a year now and JUDDD is what is different.

I still value the LC gurus like Atkins, Taubes for making me realize meat and fat won't kill me, among other things they opened my eyes to. But I do believe the human body is adapted to making energy out of many, many kinds of foods - whatever humans come across that's edible - and will be able to make use of it.

I do think one can malnourish their body and cause health problems if the *majority* of their calories were from sugary things like soda, cookies, cakes, pies, etc. And some people have conditions that make them more likely to get ill from having these items in their diet in medium - large quanitities. Others have allergies. I think there is room for fat, protein and carbs in all their forms in my diet, and I know I feel good eating this way and life is easier.

So it's definitely about long term health for me besides weight loss, but I don't want to do severe calorie restriction or omit foods I like forever, so I feel that JUDDD helps me have the best of both worlds.

HTH
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sissiesue
Stats: 173/129/129
Start Date: September 27, 2010
Interestingly enough, doing JUDDD is helping me to stay low-carb but to eat more veggies, which Dr. A advocated for. When eating a non-JUDDD low-carb diet, I really tend to eat mostly fat, a little protein, and too few veggies.

On DDs, I expect that (if my first two are any indication), I'll be eating mainly veggies (non-starchy) and a bit of fat. Taken as a whole, my diet will be more balanced.

So, now I am eating more carbs overall, but they're vegetable carbs, which is right in line with a low-carb WOE. I should add that my CCL is high. I've eaten up to 100 carbs/day without falling out of ketosis.

As with others doing JUDDD, I'm interested in the calorie restriction benefits. I've wanted to try a calorie-restricted WOE for a while now, and reading Pat's posts about JUDDD just gave me the incentive to try it out now.

I guess I'm not one of the people to whom you were directing your initial inquiry, but I wanted to chime in anyway.
Sissiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
For me, my hypoglycemia dictates that I stay lowcarb. I've tried raising carbs, but it does a number on my hunger levels. Being constantly hungry due to the low blood sugar is the reason I got 100+ pounds overweight in the first place.

That's me, and I think there are plenty of people without those issues. I also do very very poorly if I don't get enough protein. I think we are all quite individual in what works for us.
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I'm new to JUDDD but I was doing paleo/primal before and it allowed more good carbs via fruit, sweet potatoes and natural foods.
I don't really see any conflict, for me, about that type of eating and JUDDD.
It's certainly an individualized program!
If you eat something and it messes with you, don't eat it again lol
But you can easily stick to low-carb, just make sure you eat your proteins and fats on your up days! And you can cram an awful lot of low-carb veggies into the DD's

Me too Dottie!!
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by addict1000 View Post
My years of LC changed my belief on what is healthy and what is not.

I used to think that certain meats and fat where unhealthy and that bread was healthy.
LC of course turned all of that on its head...

I have always had a certain percentage of unhealthy foods in my diet...even when I was trying to LC because I would inevitably binge.

I have come to realize that eating healthy does not necessarily lead to weight loss unfortunately. I separate the goals in my mind.

I am trying to eat healthier, but I would rather have the occasional unhealthy junk food eaten with control than try to never have it and binge on it.

I try my best to keep to healthy choices and I am finding that just knowing I can have the cheetos makes it easy for me to choose the nut chips instead.

Just knowing I can have a Reeses peanut butter cup makes it easy for me to eat an apple and peanut butter instead.

My diet is actually better on average than clean days and then a junky binge day.

Before low carb I was bulimic...and ate mostly grains (cereals) grapes, sweets cookies and chocolate.
Low carb released me from bulimia...and I willl be forever grateful.
I am still moderate carb...i have never went over 100...even on an UD...and most of my carbs are natural ones. I avoid wheat for the most part, as it doesnt agree with me in anything but the smallest quantities.
What juddd is doing for me..slowly, as I still have ED thoughts..is helping me eat like a normal person.
On an UD I can have one candy bar...a bowl of oatmeal....a banana...even a meal out at a restaurant..just ordering anything I want...and stop at one....because they are part of my diet, not a break from it...which, for me, would lead to binging/purging.

Like Beeb, I do most of my own cooking, and I eat very little sugar/grains.

I am reading Wheat Belly at the moment..and I really do beleive that todays modified wheat is best eaten only occasionally!

What I have learned from low carb I will always practice....juddd makes it livable for me.

Mainemom...that was an excellent question...something I had been thinking of recently!

hugs
Jo
x

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
I tried low carb and stuck to it for 14 months. I lost all the weight I needed to lose. I was able to eat 50-100 carbs/day and not gain at all. BUT...I still can't quite convince myself that a couple of mouthfuls of yams or a banana are "poison". I get bread and other "man made" foods...grain is only edible after put forth a huge effort to grind it down bc our digestive system isn't engineered for it...but a banana? My digestive system loves 'em ;-)

I've learned a lot about nutrition, baking, cooking, etc that I am never going to unlearn. I feel that 14 mos is enough to really ingrain a lot of that stuff and it's part of the reason I feel comfortable trying something new.

Goal weight met: Aug 19/11

I played in the Longest Game for CF. We broke the Guinness record for longest hockey game.
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2muchme
Stats: 154/139/130 - 6 # lost on JUDDD
WOE: HCG, then atkins, now JUDDD
Start Date: Atkins, summer 2011: JUDDD, 10/24/2011
Jo, I have to read that book. About a year ago, I discovered that I was gluten intolerant. Realized this when I went on HCG the first time. All GI disturbance.........gone. My MD didn't even figure that one out. Had been having problems with it for about 10 years, slowly increasing. I have Lupus. And I've read that if you have one auto-immune disease, you probably have another and just don't know it yet........duh! My MD wanted me to start eating wheat again so he could test me for Celiac. Rediculous! No cure! And the treatment? Don't eat wheat! I don't need a diagnosis THAT badly, really!!!

Anyway, I totally agree with you about wheat. I think with all the added gluten they've been adding..........I don't think our bodies can handle it. Just a thought.

LC was easy for me to switch to after HCG. I, too, do my own cooking and avoid sugar (except maybe occasionally). It just works out easier....more control.
2muchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:23 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
I've been thinking about this a little more today, and wanted to add that I do believe that our bodies have limits of what they can do well with and then it starts to become too much.

I can't say what is the limit for myself in terms of actual carb grams, but I do know that if I were to sit around and eat tons of cookies and other refined carbs for weeks/months, I would start to gain weight and my metabolic system would go berserk.

In fact, this is more or less what I did last year about this time, and that is in fact, the result of what happened to me.

I have a system that tends toward metabolic disorder - pcos, IR, etc. and while some people might be able to live on refined carbs (pizza, beer, cinnamon rolls, etc.) and live sedentary, I can't. I won't be able to get away with it for long.

I can have a moderate amount of carbs (that includes some refined ones) and eat protein, fats, etc. and I can do quite well that way.

There may be still others who thrive on low carb, and can't tolerate any grain product. Other still, like someone mentioned (SoHappy or Beeb), may have conditioned their bodies on LC to be more reactive to carbs than they would have, and on JUDDD they found they were able to add them back in and be fine.

Just like most anything you can think of would be bad in excess, it can be beneficial or neutral at least in low to moderate amounts. This is what I think.

My .02 for what little it's worth.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2muchme
Stats: 154/139/130 - 6 # lost on JUDDD
WOE: HCG, then atkins, now JUDDD
Start Date: Atkins, summer 2011: JUDDD, 10/24/2011
Yeah, that's good. Moderation.....
2muchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/125/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Thank you, thank you, thank you! You have all been so helpful in your thoughtful responses to my questions. I so appreciate your frankness and experiences. I've just ordered The Alternate Day Diet book (this is where the JUDDD plan comes from, right?) and Wheat Belly is already in my Wish List...

Low carbing has been amazing, health wise, for me. I also believe, now, that I have a gluten intolerance. Had bad stomach issues that virtually disappeared when I went low carb and cut wheat out of my diet. I have lost weight, too, but like many of you, my weight has been at a standstill for some time now. I'm leaning toward JUDDD w/an emphasis, like many of you mentioned, on whole foods, light on the grains and sugar, w/the OCCASIONAL treat.

Thanks again, guys! You're wonderful!
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Thank you, thank you, thank you! You have all been so helpful in your thoughtful responses to my questions. I so appreciate your frankness and experiences. I've just ordered The Alternate Day Diet book (this is where the JUDDD plan comes from, right?) and Wheat Belly is already in my Wish List...

Low carbing has been amazing, health wise, for me. I also believe, now, that I have a gluten intolerance. Had bad stomach issues that virtually disappeared when I went low carb and cut wheat out of my diet. I have lost weight, too, but like many of you, my weight has been at a standstill for some time now. I'm leaning toward JUDDD w/an emphasis, like many of you mentioned, on whole foods, light on the grains and sugar, w/the OCCASIONAL treat.

Thanks again, guys! You're wonderful!
I'm so happy to hear you may be joining us here! If you do, I think you will quickly fall in love with JUDDD.

If you previously had tummy issues that went away when you cut wheat from your diet, I do hope that you are careful about trying small portions of it again. I eat tons of wheat in the form of various amazing breads, but for any who are gluten intolerant, I can't imagine having to have gut pain, etc. all the time. I know you'll be careful, I'm just sorry about it.

Nevertheless, I think JUDDD can help you attain weight loss and health goals while you get to enjoy such a broad and varied diet you will be quite delighted.

So. Are you going to start tomorrow?
Old 10-27-2011, 11:49 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Buttercup204
Stats: 204/197/165
WOE: NK/JUDDD
I had the same conflict in my head and still have it sometimes because of all my reading and studying of the LC WOE. However, I was not getting results and it seemed like my metabolism was slowing and I was irritable and quite the insomniac. I lost very well in the past on low cal plans, whether low or higher in carbs but the change from one day to the next of JUDDD keeps my body guessing and I am able to lose without nearly the deprivation, restriction and sacrifice that I did before. My first week back on JUDDD has already improved my skin, mood, PMS and monthly cycle! I didn't gain my usual 5 lbs. I have actually lost and I can already feel the change in my clothes. My husband keeps commenting on how good I am looking lol. I haven't told him why...haha. Plus now I eat out in more comfort because I don't have to order everything strangely. I am a social eater and it means a lot to me to be able to eat plain old food and not embarrass myself by ordering odd foods and having to explain my "diet" to everyone. It gets old fast and I honestly hated not fitting in. I know that sounds horrible and sad but I realized a while ago that this is a real issue for me that I needed to find a solution for. I feel more confident now if I have to eat in front of others. I don't have to feel self conscious. Food is less important now. Now it's fuel as it should be. I enjoy it but I don't feel it has taken over my life anymore. So I eat occasional treats and I am probably not always eating the healthiest foods 100% of the time but I feel fantastic now. I do know that I have to couple car by food with protein to avoid a sugar crash but right now I am trying not to put too many restrictions on myself so I can adhere better. I am sure as time goes on and deprivation from low carb for a yr and half wears off I will naturally balance it all out. I do consciously avoid carbs on my DDs, it makes them easier and less hungry.
Buttercup204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup204 View Post
I had the same conflict in my head and still have it sometimes because of all my reading and studying of the LC WOE. However, I was not getting results and it seemed like my metabolism was slowing and I was irritable and quite the insomniac. I lost very well in the past on low cal plans, whether low or higher in carbs but the change from one day to the next of JUDDD keeps my body guessing and I am able to lose without nearly the deprivation, restriction and sacrifice that I did before. My first week back on JUDDD has already improved my skin, mood, PMS and monthly cycle! I didn't gain my usual 5 lbs. I have actually lost and I can already feel the change in my clothes. My husband keeps commenting on how good I am looking lol. I haven't told him why...haha. Plus now I eat out in more comfort because I don't have to order everything strangely. I am a social eater and it means a lot to me to be able to eat plain old food and not embarrass myself by ordering odd foods and having to explain my "diet" to everyone. It gets old fast and I honestly hated not fitting in. I know that sounds horrible and sad but I realized a while ago that this is a real issue for me that I needed to find a solution for. I feel more confident now if I have to eat in front of others. I don't have to feel self conscious. Food is less important now. Now it's fuel as it should be. I enjoy it but I don't feel it has taken over my life anymore. So I eat occasional treats and I am probably not always eating the healthiest foods 100% of the time but I feel fantastic now. I do know that I have to couple car by food with protein to avoid a sugar crash but right now I am trying not to put too many restrictions on myself so I can adhere better. I am sure as time goes on and deprivation from low carb for a yr and half wears off I will naturally balance it all out. I do consciously avoid carbs on my DDs, it makes them easier and less hungry.
Sounds like JUDDD is working really well for you already! That's so great. Continued good luck with this plan, except I think you won't be needing luck.. you'll be making your own luck by just following the cycling. Way to go!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:21 AM   #20

Gallery: Cruzcrzy
Stats: 183/136/129-131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup204 View Post
What a wonderful post. I am so happy for you. Thanks for sharing! Wishing you continued success and happiness.
Cruzcrzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:08 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Buttercup204
Stats: 204/197/165
WOE: NK/JUDDD
Thanks, Pat and Marie!
Buttercup204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Good Calories, Bad Calories; Wheat Belly; When Food is Love; Listen to the Hunger.....all these books perch on my book shelf so that I can see their front cover daily....to remind me of where I have been. Each has given me pieces to the puzzle that I have discovered in my own brain re: where food belongs in my life. I want it to give me good health...I want it to nourish but "not collect" around this 5' frame.

Thank you to each of you for sharing.
Looks like I might have to explore Dr. Johnson's UDDD theories!
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #23
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galveston Gal View Post
Good Calories, Bad Calories; Wheat Belly; When Food is Love; Listen to the Hunger.....all these books perch on my book shelf so that I can see their front cover daily....to remind me of where I have been. Each has given me pieces to the puzzle that I have discovered in my own brain re: where food belongs in my life. I want it to give me good health...I want it to nourish but "not collect" around this 5' frame.

Thank you to each of you for sharing.
Looks like I might have to explore Dr. Johnson's UDDD theories!
And I hope you find the "magic" that I have found on JUDDD!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote