Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 06:12 AM   #1
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
What do you do when you're afraid to eat on an UD?

I know this sounds silly, but I'm down 1.5lbs from yesterday and this is a new low weight for me.
I'm nervous about having an UD today!
How do you psych yourself out to actually eat when your brain is telling you that not eating works?
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Just keep in mind that the UD is designed to keep your metabolism from crashing like a low calorie diet can sometimes do to you, as well as nourish you and make up for your DD in nutrients. Consistently undereating UDs could later sabotage you, as weight loss would slow down.

Maybe you shouldn't weigh after today (total hypocrite for saying this since I am a scale addict!).

Just my thoughts...fraid I have no trouble undereating UDs, but the opposite problem. I'm working on it!
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:50 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LaurieKeren
Stats: 198.6/191.4/120
WOE: moderate low carb; healthy food choices
Start Date: 05/27/2014 (this time, haha)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
Just keep in mind that the UD is designed to keep your metabolism from crashing like a low calorie diet can sometimes do to you, as well as nourish you and make up for your DD in nutrients. Consistently undereating UDs could later sabotage you, as weight loss would slow down.

Maybe you shouldn't weigh after today (total hypocrite for saying this since I am a scale addict!).
This! I was paranoid last week about eating too much on my up days, so I made sure overestimated my calories, and I didn't eat enough. By Friday I was ready to eat the carpet. It was a hard down day that turned into a medium day because I needed to eat. Then I made Sat and Sun both up days and I ate plenty. I was only up a pound by Monday, and lost it immediately. And, I continued to lose weight this week. I needed that food!

I now know that I just can't make it through a down day if I don't eat enough on an up day!!

Last edited by LaurieKeren; 10-27-2011 at 07:52 AM..
LaurieKeren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I know this sounds silly, but I'm down 1.5lbs from yesterday and this is a new low weight for me.
I'm nervous about having an UD today!
How do you psych yourself out to actually eat when your brain is telling you that not eating works?
Hon, just don't buy into the mindset that the most important thing is what the scale reads each morning.

What is most important is feeding your body well today. Regardless of how wonderful your choice of food was yesterday, you had very little of it. Hopefully, your body was required to release a bit of stored body fat in order to provide for itself yesterday. And, certainly the scale shows you this morning that your body has a very empty bowel, that it is running pretty low on stored carb fuel/water weight, etc. So hopefully this morning's scale reading showed how depleted you were of any body waste and retained fluids, and a true bit of fat loss.

But don't get so wrapped up in artificial weight losses from little in our bowel tracts, that you fail to follow through with the other very important part of weight management here, and that the nutritional care and feeding of your body today. This is the day your body gets to refill its reserves, do its repairs to your muscles and bones and everything. This is the day you give your body food to take great physical care of itself. The day that will give you a good refeed before going into another Down Day which is then going to require and force another bit of fat to be pulled out to run on that day.

So this day of eating all this food may well reflect *up* on the scale again, but you know full well that what the scale reads each morning is not the be-all and end-all of this work-in-progress.

And this day, full of food and calories is going to be processed and signal your brain that the world is full of food and there is no need to slow Dottie's metabolism down to protect her from a time of famine. You want to keep your metabolism burning, burning, burning, so that on DDs, it isn't conservative in that burn! and you can depend on it helping burn at a faster rate on DDs, and so that when you are slim here shortly, your metabolism will be burning at a real good rate, so as to keep you slim for the rest of your life more easily.

I've never followed an eating plan that resulted in greater fluctuations of scale weight than JUDDD. So mostly just ignore those scale readings, because they tell such a small part of the ongoing story.

One trick is to take the average of your weights each morning for a week, and compare that with your average of morning weights from the week before. That's when you can really tell, as the weeks go by, how you're doing on JUDDD.

But don't ever fear the upticks on the scale because they are usually followed by nice lower weight reading too.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Thanks, I definitely need to change my mindset!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
If you don't eat all the calories on UD, it's no better than all the other countless low-calorie diets out there where you restrict day after day. And would probably have the same effect of lowering your metabolism = no or very slow weight loss, frustration, hunger...

JUDDD's specialness is that every other day you eat anything you want up to your calorie limit
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
It's all been said in these really above, but want to add that in time you WILL adjust to the wonderful mind set that "it's ok to eat and you WILL still lose"!

This is the "MAGIC" of JUDDD!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/low carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Hon, just don't buy into the mindset that the most important thing is what the scale reads each morning.

What is most important is feeding your body well today. Regardless of how wonderful your choice of food was yesterday, you had very little of it. Hopefully, your body was required to release a bit of stored body fat in order to provide for itself yesterday. And, certainly the scale shows you this morning that your body has a very empty bowel, that it is running pretty low on stored carb fuel/water weight, etc. So hopefully this morning's scale reading showed how depleted you were of any body waste and retained fluids, and a true bit of fat loss.

But don't get so wrapped up in artificial weight losses from little in our bowel tracts, that you fail to follow through with the other very important part of weight management here, and that the nutritional care and feeding of your body today. This is the day your body gets to refill its reserves, do its repairs to your muscles and bones and everything. This is the day you give your body food to take great physical care of itself. The day that will give you a good refeed before going into another Down Day which is then going to require and force another bit of fat to be pulled out to run on that day.

So this day of eating all this food may well reflect *up* on the scale again, but you know full well that what the scale reads each morning is not the be-all and end-all of this work-in-progress.

And this day, full of food and calories is going to be processed and signal your brain that the world is full of food and there is no need to slow Dottie's metabolism down to protect her from a time of famine. You want to keep your metabolism burning, burning, burning, so that on DDs, it isn't conservative in that burn! and you can depend on it helping burn at a faster rate on DDs, and so that when you are slim here shortly, your metabolism will be burning at a real good rate, so as to keep you slim for the rest of your life more easily.

I've never followed an eating plan that resulted in greater fluctuations of scale weight than JUDDD. So mostly just ignore those scale readings, because they tell such a small part of the ongoing story.

One trick is to take the average of your weights each morning for a week, and compare that with your average of morning weights from the week before. That's when you can really tell, as the weeks go by, how you're doing on JUDDD.

But don't ever fear the upticks on the scale because they are usually followed by nice lower weight reading too.
Great advice! I need to remember this myself, as I lost 2 lbs after my first DD, and then gained 3 lbs back on my UD! Trying not to freak out too much here, and I'll at least wait until I've been doing this for a week to assess my situation.

I have to say I am truly enjoying the food I eat though, not just on UDs but actually on DDs as well! I've still stayed pretty much low carb but have added more variety into my menus and it's amazing how much more relaxed and happy I am about eating!
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote