Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   JUDDD (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/)
-   -   Started 2 days ago but scared... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/743129-started-2-days-ago-but-scared.html)

mom22boys 10-26-2011 11:08 PM

Started 2 days ago but scared...

I have been doing low carb for about a year now. I lost an initial 25 lbs in about 4 months and was within 4 lbs of my goal weight (118). The last 8 months I have been up 15 and now I am back down to 127. I am getting sick of low carb and don't know if I could keep it up long term. I have been reading about Juddd and decided to give it a try starting 2 days ago. My first dd was very hard and I finally just had to go to bed! Today was an easier dd. My problem is that I am scared to stop low carb. I am still keeping my carbs under 20 on ud and under 10 today.

I really want to be able to eat any fruits and vegetables I want. It is hard to justify not eating an apple!! I just don't know how to start. I am afraid I may see a few lb gain and quit Juddd and return to low carb.

You are all so helpful and positive that I am very hopeful as well!!:hiya:

Majella 10-27-2011 12:47 AM

Hiya I know how you feel but don't limit your carbs so much on your up days, I only started yesterday and only counted calories because I'm also sick of low carbing. Give it too weeks and see what your results are, that's my plan anyway! Good luck

LaurieKeren 10-27-2011 03:10 AM

I hadn't been low carbing for quite a while. I had gained weight and just couldn't get back into it, lol. JUDDD seemed perfect for me, since I couldn't scare myself away from the carbs!

But, there are many here who went from low carb to JUDDD, and they found that they could up the carbs significantly! Many have broken a long term stall (that happened while low carbing!) by JUDDDing with much higher carbs than they had been used to!

I'm sure they will chime in on this thread.

Others decide to stick with a combo of JUDDD and low carb because they feel that it is healthiest for them. You will find what works for you!

addict1000 10-27-2011 04:43 AM

It makes sense that you might go up the carb ladder slowly while doing JUDDD. Just add one type of item in and track it and see how it affects you. That way if you gain a lb or so, you will know exactly what food caused it.

E.W. 10-27-2011 04:44 AM

For a long time I thought low carb was the only way to go. I went on my first low carb diet in 1965 yes there was low carb before Atkins. I lost weight and relapsed time after time. I had weight losses of about 30,50,100,75 and a bunch of times I only lost
10 to 20 lbs. I started this WOE about 3 months ago and am down about 30lbs and don't
feel like I am on a diet. I just think this will be a lot easier to stay on long term. Now
this weekend I will go off it a little bit as I have a dinner I must go to both Friday and
Saterday. But I have done this before and it did hamper my weight loss that week but
it didn't make me throw my hands up in dispare that I had blown my diet.

Well if you go off low carb you will probably gain a couple pounds of water weight. And
I know even if it's just water it's still weight. I struggle with the idea of going on low
carb again just to see that first big drop in weight and being a big boy I tipicaly lose
about 10lbs the first week I low carb. And then if I stop most of that 10lbs is back almost overnight and boy does that feel bad. So for me the freedon I feal on this WOE
and eating carbs feels even better than the few pounds less I would weigh if I were on
low carb. But I am lucky I wasn't eating low carb when I started this WOE so didn't have
that going off low carb water issue.

piratejenny 10-27-2011 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom22boys (Post 15125358)
I just don't know how to start. I am afraid I may see a few lb gain and quit Juddd and return to low carb.

You MAY see a few lb gain, but it won't be fat; it will be water weight from re-introducing carbs. And then you will lose a few pounds of fat, and you'll be fine!

I doubt you'll gain much water weight, though, from eating an apple. I think you'd gain more from eating breads and rice and things like that. So, maybe start re-introducing carbs by eating more fruits and veggies.

Also, if you try some of the DD (Down Day) recipes that have a lot of oat fiber, wheat bran, glucomannan, etc, they may change your digestion patterns for a few days. I "gained" weight after my first couple of DDs, because all that stuff absorbs a lot of water and was moving through my system a bit slowly. Then my weight went back down and I lost 1lb my first week on JUDDD, and just lost 4lbs in my second week! :yahoo:

:welcome:

Beeb 10-27-2011 10:48 AM

An informed mind is an empowered mind!! READ, all you can, here and on other sites on how this WOE works. Many gain a few pounds when they introduce carbs (your apple) back into their WOE BUT it always comes off and it continues to come off if you do the plan as suggested.

It's a bit scary but carbs are NOT your enemy, and can actually be your friend in helping with keeping you full and your weight loss.

At least this is what I found! ;)

piratejenny 10-27-2011 10:56 AM

Now I want an apple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SoHappy 10-27-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

I have been doing low carb for about a year now. I lost an initial 25 lbs in about 4 months and was within 4 lbs of my goal weight (118). The last 8 months I have been up 15 and now I am back down to 127. I am getting sick of low carb and don't know if I could keep it up long term. I have been reading about Juddd and decided to give it a try starting 2 days ago. My first dd was very hard and I finally just had to go to bed! Today was an easier dd. My problem is that I am scared to stop low carb. I am still keeping my carbs under 20 on ud and under 10 today.

I really want to be able to eat any fruits and vegetables I want. It is hard to justify not eating an apple!! I just don't know how to start. I am afraid I may see a few lb gain and quit Juddd and return to low carb.

Hi, mom22boys. I can certainly understand your apprehension about introducing more carbs back into your menus at the same time you are wanting to do just that!

We all have seemed to start doing JUDDD slightly differently from each other, from those who are following JUDDD on a still-very-low carb plan, a gal who is low carb during the week and has a planned *carb up* on the weekend as part of her muscle-building fitness program. We have folks who ran full tilt into the middle of high carbs and those who have been very judicious about adding them back in, a few at a time.

If you have been staying low carb for quite some time now, you may find that you have become a bit more *sensitive and reactive* to carbs in your diet than you were previously, so that is one reason you might want to proceed at a somewhat slower pace. Not that it will make you sick or anything, just that when you take carbs out of your diet, you experience the loss of a lot of *water weight* Whee! Remember that?, and when you begin to add them back in, the reverse of that will happen. :sad: :laugh:

Hard to keep focused on the fact that a regain of some water weight doesn't have anything to do with the subcutaneous fat on our bodies. We've been so focused on the number on the scale for so long that we have now come to abhor any weight gain, from any cause, from any source.

So just do prepare your own mind to understand and accept the *probability* of a bit of water weight regain if you add some carbs back into your diet, and then begin to add your carbs back in, old favorites first, and let the chips fall where they may! :laugh:

You will diet on down past any water regain weight, and be free to enjoy a far wider diet, filled with foods you find you didn't have to give up forever after all. Prepare to enjoy the feasts of the upcoming Holiday Season. You get to eat a Christmas cookie again. :hugs: No guilt. And still be on your diet. LOL

mom22boys 10-27-2011 09:30 PM

Thanks for all of the advice!! I bought some grapes and am going to have some tomorrow on my dd. So excited!!!:jumpjoy:

Beeb 10-28-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom22boys (Post 15128529)
Thanks for all of the advice!! I bought some grapes and am going to have some tomorrow on my dd. So excited!!!:jumpjoy:

Please remember something many of us are finding out while doing JUDDD: Carbs are NOT evil and the enemy especially when those carbs are through fruit and veggies! ;)

Enjoy EVERYONE of those amazing, juicy grapes!! :jumpjoy:

sophiethecat 10-29-2011 08:02 AM

:welcome: Mom22 boys and I hope you enjoyed those grapes! :high5:

Joedi 10-29-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

What I would recommend you do is what I did...commit for a month.

Make a graph of your weight, weighing daily. Once the month is up, you will hopefully see a nice downward line!
Yes, there may be a few ups...but it is the overall downs that count!

I was worried about adding in carbs, but tbh...carbs havent made me hold any extra weight! I have had my share of ups and downs...but extra carby days havent been the ones where I tend to gain!

One of my pleasures nowadays is a thinly sliced Gala apple, and some sugar free caramel dip!:yummy:
I also enjoy HUGE bowls of salad...and large plates of cauli rice..which I adore!

happy judding!

jo
x