Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Anyone else not losing?

I wonder if anyone else is having trouble losing on JUDDD? I'm trying not to get frustrated, but I'm up a couple lbs from my weight when I started 16 days ago, and I can't seem to budge it. I'll go up a lb, down a lb, up 2, down 2, up 1, down 0, up 2, down 0. I suspect a few reasons:
1. I was doing intermittent fasting, and that had really helped me lose my frustrating menopause gain, so this may just be a rebound after relaxing my eating windows. So I'm going back to my eating windows for now, 5 hours a day.
2. I'm exercising less than I had been because I'm working 14 hour days. Less exercise leads to more stress, less sleep, fewer food needs (but not lower appetite)
3. this could just be the usual bouncing around at the beginning of JUDDD. SoHappy has warned about this in a lot of threads, so I'm trying to be patient.
4. I'm not sleeping well--work stress, I think--and poor sleep can certainly lead to trouble losing weight.
5. And maybe my DD cals just aren't low enough (600), or maybe my UD cals aren't high enough (1700-1800).
6. I'm eating a lot of oat fiber muffins and gluccomannan things and counting those ingredients as zero cals. They aren't doing wonderful things for my digestion, so maybe they are messing things up for me?

JUDDD seemed to work for me the first 4 or 5 days (when I was being less careful about calories, curiously enough). But my last couple DDs have been much stricter, and they weren't followed by losses. I'm getting frustrated! And hungry on those DDs!

I'm thrilled that so many people seem to be losing so well on JUDDD, but I wonder if I'm the only one who seems to be having trouble?

Last edited by tiva; 10-26-2011 at 07:56 PM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I think your observations are very good with what you think could be happening. Fiber makes me hold water and I'm wondering if this is happening to you too, especially with all the oat fiber, etc. that you are eating?

And you are at goal so are you trying to lose more weight or trying to maintain? Maybe your calories need to be adjusted on both ends, up or down. If you are staying the same weight, up and down, then you are maintaining (this is what is happening to me and I AM trying to maintain so it's ok the up and down), so to need to adjust those calories to loss again.

Stress, not enough sleep, working long hours, they all play a part in holding on to weight and water.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mommie22boys
Stats: 211/199/135 5'5.5"
WOE: Paleo/ JUDDD
Start Date: Originally 6/7/07, Now 4/1/13
Tiva, that stinks. I'm certainly no expert, but I can offer my own experience. I had been eating a bunch of gluc puddings to help stretch my DD calories. However, I felt like it was keeping me a little too full if you KWIM. it IS a lot of fiber, and I just didn't like that it seemed to stuck around forever. This last week I haven't had any gluc at all. I haven't had that "too full" feeling this week. Direct correlation? Maybe, maybe not. I may try it again, but not this week...gonna wait a bit.

Anyway, not sure that this is what's causing you difficulty, but maybe you want to cut out the gluc and see if it makes a difference.

You know the laws of dieting. All gains are water weight. All losses are of fat! --SoHappy

Last edited by Mommie22boys; 10-26-2011 at 09:49 PM..
Mommie22boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:01 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
I haven't been losing quickly but it's because I have overdone quite a few of my Up Days. Wondering if you need to up your up calories? Perhaps its too low for you with all of the activity you do.

Good luck with your sleep, it helps so much to get a good night's rest!
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:20 AM   #5
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
Also things like advil or allergy meds can cause you to not lose. Sometimes that's just an evil we have to live with, but if you're taking any, especially on a daily basis, that you weren't before - it could be messing with you.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:45 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Also things like advil or allergy meds can cause you to not lose. Sometimes that's just an evil we have to live with, but if you're taking any, especially on a daily basis, that you weren't before - it could be messing with you.
I did not know this. I've been taking Benadryl most nights. I'll cut that out. Just in case.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Well, TMI more or less put any losses on hold for me. I have a ton of water gain since yesterday I started to panic a little.
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
I wonder if anyone else is having trouble losing on JUDDD? I'm trying not to get frustrated, but I'm up a couple lbs from my weight when I started 16 days ago, and I can't seem to budge it. I'll go up a lb, down a lb, up 2, down 2, up 1, down 0, up 2, down 0. I suspect a few reasons:
1. I was doing intermittent fasting, and that had really helped me lose my frustrating menopause gain, so this may just be a rebound after relaxing my eating windows. So I'm going back to my eating windows for now, 5 hours a day.
2. I'm exercising less than I had been because I'm working 14 hour days. Less exercise leads to more stress, less sleep, fewer food needs (but not lower appetite)
3. this could just be the usual bouncing around at the beginning of JUDDD. SoHappy has warned about this in a lot of threads, so I'm trying to be patient.
4. I'm not sleeping well--work stress, I think--and poor sleep can certainly lead to trouble losing weight.
5. And maybe my DD cals just aren't low enough (600), or maybe my UD cals aren't high enough (1700-1800).
6. I'm eating a lot of oat fiber muffins and gluccomannan things and counting those ingredients as zero cals. They aren't doing wonderful things for my digestion, so maybe they are messing things up for me?

JUDDD seemed to work for me the first 4 or 5 days (when I was being less careful about calories, curiously enough). But my last couple DDs have been much stricter, and they weren't followed by losses. I'm getting frustrated! And hungry on those DDs!

I'm thrilled that so many people seem to be losing so well on JUDDD, but I wonder if I'm the only one who seems to be having trouble?
I have been thinking about this all day long. It's just so, so unusual for someone not to be losing weight after a couple of weeks, I mean to certainly be lower than they were when they started. Fluctuations by a pound and two pounds can sure happen, and we just kind of get used to that happening after awhile, but we do expect as the weeks go by, that by the end of each week we're down a little from the end of the preceding week. But you say here you are UP 2 pounds more than when you started, a full 16 days after this start.

Something isn't quite right. The 600/1800 calorie spread and the numbers doesn't sound too far off, although I wonder if you might not be able to do higher calories on your UDs, as I get the idea that you are vibrant and active, strong and physical in your daily life.

If you have added additional exercise to your routine these last couple of weeks, I can understand weight gain from increased muscle, and I could understand some retained fluid in the muscles if you are doing more exercise or a new routine lately. Scratch that. I reread and see where you are exercising less. Don't know if that can have any bearing here or not.

And poorer sleep can affect us, but this much in the face of these calorie numbers? And I feel confident your diet is a good one.

If you have added more carbohydrates to your diet since starting JUDDD, I can certainly understand the regain of water weight, as that's pretty much understood. Cut the carbs and lose water weight fast. Start eating more carbs again and back floods the water weight. But have you started eating more carbs recently? Is that it?

I will say that I suspect the glucomannan as possibly having something to do with this.. depending on if you've only just lately started using this product. It definitely has a way of slowing down the passage of digested food on OUT of your body, if you catch my meaning. But only you know if your *bathroom* habits have changed any lately.

Hope you are reporting a weight loss very soon. And if not, let's all put our heads together to get this figured out. I know you're already slim, but if you have a bit more you're wanting to lose, we all want to see you get to your goal.

Last edited by SoHappy; 10-27-2011 at 08:00 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for all your feedback and support. Part of the issue may be that I'm simply so close to goal (I reached goal at the end of August, but then bumped back up a couple of lbs that I can't seem to keep off). I'll keep plugging away, trying your suggestions: cut back on the gluc. and oat fiber, drop the DD cals, increase the HD cals, give it a little more time. I'm exercising less than usual, but I still try to walk briskly for at least an hour a day, or ride my bike. Perhaps I need a better scale, too--I swear I can get one weight, then go and pee, and come back 5 minutes later and weigh a lb more! It's supposed to go the other way...
Old 10-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #10

Hang in there and maybe give it another week with getting rid of some of the things you may think are causing problems and see what happens.

I hope it all starts to move again for you, Tiva!!
Old 10-29-2011, 06:25 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Beeb!
Old 11-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
So glad I found this thread...I hope some of you will stay with suggestions. I started JUDDD three weeks ago. I lost 4.5 pounds the first week, but stayed the same (no weight loss) the second two weeks. I am addicted to sweets, and have a HORRIBLE habit of eating something sweet every Up Day. However, I have never gone over 600 cals on my DDs. Could my "non-restricted" up days be my problem? Even though I am eating sweets on my up days, I am not eating any more than I would have before I started the diet. I don't seem to be as "regular" (LOL) as I was before, either. I would appreciate any thoughts.

Last edited by pjsam1156; 11-07-2011 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: forgot
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:47 PM   #13
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
pj I am still learning what foods I can or can't have on up days as well. My suggestion is to stop whatever food you think may be the issue, give it a few days and see if it's the problem. Remember: you can always add it back later and try again
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Dottie--I guess I've just seen too many people posting on different sites who are not mentioning that they've changed their WOE on Up Days. But, since my WOE was so unhealthy in the first place--your suggestion seems like the smartest thing to do. Thanks. I'll post back here at the end of this, my 4th week, on the diet. Otherwise, the DDs are not bothering me at all--I really think this could be the best WOE for me ever. I'm 55 and have been losing and gaining the same 15 lbs. for 20 years! Thanks again!
Old 11-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsam1156 View Post
So glad I found this thread...I hope some of you will stay with suggestions. I started JUDDD three weeks ago. I lost 4.5 pounds the first week, but stayed the same (no weight loss) the second two weeks. I am addicted to sweets, and have a HORRIBLE habit of eating something sweet every Up Day. However, I have never gone over 600 cals on my DDs. Could my "non-restricted" up days be my problem? Even though I am eating sweets on my up days, I am not eating any more than I would have before I started the diet. I don't seem to be as "regular" (LOL) as I was before, either. I would appreciate any thoughts.
Could you elaborate a little more about *non-restricted* Up Days? What exactly do you mean by this term? If you could tell a little more about what your calorie consumption is on your Up Days, we could probably zero in on a possible cause for you not losing anything additional here.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:14 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Pat--I'm sorry, but I haven't been keeping track of my calories on Up days--I was under the impression that if I ate in my "usual" way but made sure I restricted my Down Days to 500, I would most likely lose. Is this wrong? But, if I had to guess, I would estimate my Up days are about 2000 calories.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

I have to say that overeating UDs definitely kept me at maintenance rather than losing. Now, I was hungry enough to eat that extra...so I did have to count calories to stay in the right range to start losing again. It just seems the more I ate, the hungrier I would be sometimes.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:00 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Paula. I guess I'll need to take more care as to how many calories I'm eating on Up Days. I appreciate your help. I guess the stall was confusing because I've just started the diet, and seriously ATE LIKE A PIG on my Up Days the first week, and still lost 4.5 lbs. Just sayin'... LOL

Last edited by pjsam1156; 11-07-2011 at 05:05 PM..
Old 11-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Thanks, Paula. I guess I'll need to take more care as to how many calories I'm eating on Up Days. I appreciate your help. I guess the stall was confusing because I've just started the diet, and seriously ATE LIKE A PIG on my Up Days the first week, and still lost 4.5 lbs. Just sayin'... LOL
Could you be dealing with some hormonal fluctuations then?

It's so hard to say, cause sometimes we lose like gangbusters at first then it slows down...
Old 11-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Well, I've already gone thru menopause and I'm on hormone replacements, so I don't think there's any hormone fluctuations going on right now. But, because of my age, I prob need to watch how much I'm eating on my up days--I'll try that for a while--I can have fruit and stuff for my sweets on those days. I'm such a sugar addict--and it needs to stop--adult onset diabetes on my dad's side... thanks for all your help!
Old 11-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Pat--I'm sorry, but I haven't been keeping track of my calories on Up days--I was under the impression that if I ate in my "usual" way but made sure I restricted my Down Days to 500, I would most likely lose. Is this wrong? But, if I had to guess, I would estimate my Up days are about 2000 calories.
Not Pat, but I will say I believe here is your problem. Unless you are really good at estimating, and none of us really are, I would gander that you are eating much more than 2,000 calories and that will be the reason you are maintaining your weight and not losing. UDs are not non-restricted calorie days and we all need to be mindful of this. Calories count, even on UDs and if you are going over your suggested calculated calories you will either maintenance or gain, but probably not lose.

JUDDD works because it's a science of 2 days, one up in calories and one down in calories that when added together and then divided by 2 will equal the amount of calories needed to either lose weight or maintain. My UDs and DDs in maintenance are 900 and 1,800 which equals 2,700 total and then divided by 2 would give me, if I was doing a calorie restricted diet everyday instead of every other day, 1,350 calories a day. BUT eating 1,350 calories a day, everyday would slow my metabolism down, I'm sure.

On JUDDD we trick our metabolism so we can lose weight by eating different calories every other day and the gap between those calories is pretty wide, at least in the losing phase of JUDDD. Eating too much on either UD or DD or not eating enough on our UDs doesn't do the "magic" that is JUDDD.

Try losing some of the sweets and adding some good veggie/fruits and counting your UD calories and see what happens. I have a feeling you will be quite happy with the results.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Pat--Thanks. I appreciate all that information. I did research JUDDD extensively and read the book before I started, so I understand all the science. However, since a person needs to cut out 3,500 calories a week to lose one pound, by just doing the math and having three days per week of 500 (1500) calories instead of the usual 2,000 per day (6,000, in my case) for those three days, one should be losing about 1 lb. a week, at least. However, I'm going to assume my age, and most likely, insulin resistance, must be playing a part in my lack of success at this point. I will be trying everyone's suggestions and appreciate all of the help. THANKS MUCH--YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!
Old 11-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

also, sorry to bug you guys again--I know I'm a pest--but I just read this on another thread regarding the fact that you need to eat all your calories on UDs: On an UD, you can eat as much as you like. Truly! It’s best if you aim for what the JUDDD calculator gives you for your recommended caloric intake, but it’s fine to go over. What’s most important is that you do NOT GO UNDER on your up days, as this will inhibit weight loss by putting your metabolism into starvation mode. It’s better to go over than under, certainly. However, you shouldn’t go crazy and stuff yourself – eat whenever you’re hungry until you are full, but don’t binge unnecessarily.

such conflicting info--

I am eating the same amount on UDs that I was before I started this WOE. Granted, that was prob too much--otherwise, I wouldn't need to lose 35 lbs.--However, I guess I'll go check out the calculator on Dr. J's website and try to stick to that amount on UDs--right?

Last edited by pjsam1156; 11-07-2011 at 06:36 PM..
Old 11-07-2011, 06:46 PM   #24

Quote:
also, sorry to bug you guys again--I know I'm a pest--but I just read this on another thread regarding the fact that you need to eat all your calories on UDs: On an UD, you can eat as much as you like. Truly! It’s best if you aim for what the JUDDD calculator gives you for your recommended caloric intake, but it’s fine to go over. What’s most important is that you do NOT GO UNDER on your up days, as this will inhibit weight loss by putting your metabolism into starvation mode. It’s better to go over than under, certainly. However, you shouldn’t go crazy and stuff yourself – eat whenever you’re hungry until you are full, but don’t binge unnecessarily.[/I]

such conflicting info--

I am eating the same amount on UDs that I was before I started this WOE. Granted, that was prob too much--otherwise, I wouldn't need to lose 35 lbs.--However, I guess I'll go check out the calculator on Dr. J's website and try to stick to that amount on UDs--right?
Do the plan as suggested and the calories as suggested for you and it will work. I'm also not sure where you got the info that I have bold in your quote but I have never read anything like this in Dr J's book. We can NOT eat as much as we want, it just doesn't work that way. And going over time and time again on our UDs will not work, either. It has nothing to do with starvation mode, but again, it's the science of JUDDD and needs to be followed as formulated to work it's "magic"

Now, with all this said I will also say you will do what YOU think is right for you, but please remember your results may not be typical JUDDD results if it is not followed as suggested. Good luck in finding what will work for you.

Last edited by Beeb; 11-07-2011 at 06:55 PM..
Old 11-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Sofiethecat posted that info on a thread that you started called "YOU GOTTA EAT" last week or something. (I was reading a bunch of different threads tonight)

I didn't know if the info was correct, I just read it after I was reading this thread, and got confused (which, for me, is relatively easy)

So, I will do as you suggest, and I'm sure I will get better results. Thanks again for all your help (everyone). I'll be reading and absorbing all the information from all these JUDDD threads in the next few weeks--I'm sure that will help.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
i am just going to second (or third) the suggestion to count on your UD. Even with counting my first few UD's i clocked in 3000 calories so it could be done very easily. I find that I still need to really count on UD and really only make one meal my splurge meal and I watch my other two meals. The first few UD's I splurged all three meals and some snacks and it really pushed me over.
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Hi PJ!

You definitely must count on your UD, especially if you want to lose weight and not just maintain because going over by "a lot" will stall you or cause you to gain. Believe me, I learned that the hard way (read my "Goal" thread).

The quote above I understood to mean to get in all your calories on UD (otherwise you will not have the large enough spread between UD/DD to make JUDDD work). It's emphasizing to eat your calorie limit because some people start JUDDD and are afraid of all those calories and think that by eating less they are doing themselves a favor. But if they eat this way, it's neutralizing the power of JUDDD - making it no better than any other diet where you're supposed to eat less. So I think the person who said that was trying to impress to eat those calories and it would be better to go over than under but not to stuff yourself. But the problem is they don't say how much to go over... and if you consistently go over in calorie numbers you'll likely stall or gain weight. And you don't know what that number is unless you keep track of your calories. A "little" over has never hurt me, and now and then I even go a few hundred calories over, but I'm maintaining.

Also, you asked about the JUDDD calorie calculator. Some think the amount of calories it allows is too much, and so they look at the one on freedieting too, and then average the two numbers they get to come up with the one for them.

I have had a long evening and pretty tired so I hope my typing is making sense, lol. Welcome again - glad to have you here!
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:01 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
well I gotta say, I am NOT losing and I am NOT overeating and I eat very healthfully. I keep track of cals so I don't know what gives. My body just DOES NOT want to let go :idk:

Next week will be 4 weeks.
I think I am proving that my poor thyroid still needs serious help. I'm using JUDDD to help build my case I really feel comfortable with this WOE and I *KNOW* it could be as helpful to me as it is to all of you.
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 04:05 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mammapo
Stats: 184.4/168/140
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 1/9/ 2009. paused 2/2010. restart 10/30/2011
One thing I do when I don't want to count is to alternate a super up day with a super down day - or even sandwich it between two! So at Thanksgiving coming up I plan to do

Mdd 472
T ud. 2478
W sdd 122
TH Sud? ? Probably close to 3500to 4000 which is the average most Americans eat
F sdd. 122
SA ud 2478
SU dd 478

I find by cycling really wide on any or all of my dds during a feast week I don't see a negative impact on the scale. In fact a few years ago I would do all my dd asfast days giving me one safe crazy up day every week in addition to my normal counted uds. That's actually when I lost best.

I've discovered you can alternate dd, ud, Sud, sdd. In all kinds of combinations as long as you follow basic juddd principles for alternating and don't have more than 2 ud in a row per week. This even worked this past year when I did maintenance midstream to see if my body really would maintain and to reset my set point. The key to combining is to ensure that your total weekly calories run to the average they need to be and that you truly do alternate ud and dd at theminimum of a 40. % swing or an average swing you prefer.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:12 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
I don't think I've *EVER* eaten cals that high, lol.
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote