Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 05:06 AM   #31
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammapo View Post
I've discovered you can alternate dd, ud, Sud, sdd. In all kinds of combinations as long as you follow basic juddd principles for alternating and don't have more than 2 ud in a row per week. This even worked this past year when I did maintenance midstream to see if my body really would maintain and to reset my set point. The key to combining is to ensure that your total weekly calories run to the average they need to be and that you truly do alternate ud and dd at theminimum of a 40. % swing or an average swing you prefer.
Thanks for sharing that, good to know there's some options if I have a Super Up Day (love your name for it!)
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pjsam1156
WOE: JUDDD for life, baby!!
Start Date: Feb 2009; RESTART: Nov. 2011 as EX-LCer
Sophie--thanks for all that info. I went to Dr. J's calculator, and it said 1869 cals on up days and 467 on down days. I know I was eating 600 - 700 on down days, and most likely going over 1869 on some up days. I'll check out that other website and see what it says and do the math. I also alternate every day; I mean that I don't do M-W-F Up and T-Th-S down or whatever. I started on a Friday, and have been alternating every other day since, because I'm only on my 4th week.
I was just surprised at my stall the last two weeks, because my first week, I was "testing" the plan and so I LITERALLY ATE LIKE A PIG on my up days and stayed at 500 - 600 on my down days, and lost 4.5 lbs. I stopped eating like a pig on my up days these last two weeks and have kept my down days to around 600 cals, but have stayed the exact same weight for these last two weeks.
So, I will take all your suggestions into account and have started counting my up days (starting today). I will get back to you at the end of the week when I weigh in. THANKS EVERYONE!
pjsam1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

SORRY BEEB! I just realized I called you Pat a few posts ago!
Old 11-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: hockey_gal
Stats: 172/156/150 5'7.5 Goal met: Aug 19/11
WOE: Moderate LC
Start Date: Aug 2010
Everyone asking questions - please don't be shy to start your own threads! I'm not trying to be mean but it's called "thread jacking" to ask questions in someone else's thread. This is Tivo's thread.

Tivo, I have only lost a couple of lbs since starting as well. Like you tho, I am pretty close to goal. Not sure how low I can go w/o exercise at this point. I don't have time for it right now. But unlike you, I have yet to use oat fiber or gluc (just got both in the mail today). It will interesting to see how those affect things for me.

I was hoping this plan would be easier to maintain than low carb and so far, I'm finding it pretty easy

Keep up the good work!

Goal weight met: Aug 19/11

I played in the Longest Game for CF. We broke the Guinness record for longest hockey game.

Last edited by hockey_gal; 11-08-2011 at 06:11 PM..
hockey_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #35
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsam1156 View Post
SORRY BEEB! I just realized I called you Pat a few posts ago!
I took this ^^^ as a compliment! If there was one person I would like to, if I could, model my wisdom after it would be Pat!!

Sorry for the Thread jack and would LOVE to hear from tiva to let us know if she is still doing JUDDD and if things have changed any.

Last edited by Beeb; 11-08-2011 at 07:44 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_gal View Post
Everyone asking questions - please don't be shy to start your own threads! I'm not trying to be mean but it's called "thread jacking" to ask questions in someone else's thread. This is Tivo's thread.
Thanks, Hockey-gal--but I'm completely happy to have everyone else lead a lively conversation. It's great for all to share their experiences, even if they're not as dramatic as many people are experiencing.

Beeb, I'm still lurking because this is such a supportive community. But I decided to go back to my intermittent fasting (a 5 hour eating window each day), and I find that works better for my body and psyche. I realized that I wasn't happy with the daily weight swings, and IF is simpler and easier for me. I immediately lost the couple lbs I gained while on JUDDD, perhaps because a high fat plan works better in my particular case.

Last edited by tiva; 11-08-2011 at 08:18 PM..
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #37
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
Thanks, Hockey-gal--but I'm completely happy to have everyone else lead a lively conversation. It's great for all to share their experiences, even if they're not as dramatic as many people are experiencing.

Beeb, I'm still lurking because this is such a supportive community. But I decided to go back to my intermittent fasting (a 5 hour eating window each day), and I find that works better for my body and psyche. I realized that I wasn't happy with the daily weight swings, and IF is simpler and easier for me. I immediately lost the couple lbs I gained while on JUDDD, perhaps because a high fat plan works better in my particular case.
It's good to see you, and I'm so you are on a WOE that is working good for you! Keep lurking and posting, we still you over here!!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #38
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Pat--Thanks. I appreciate all that information. I did research JUDDD extensively and read the book before I started, so I understand all the science. However, since a person needs to cut out 3,500 calories a week to lose one pound, by just doing the math and having three days per week of 500 (1500) calories instead of the usual 2,000 per day (6,000, in my case) for those three days, one should be losing about 1 lb. a week, at least. However, I'm going to assume my age, and most likely, insulin resistance, must be playing a part in my lack of success at this point. I will be trying everyone's suggestions and appreciate all of the help. THANKS MUCH--YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!
I think this is where we sometimes run into our problem, and it is relying on calorie figures that may, unhappily, not apply to us.

Yes, I think it's probably still about 3500 calories overage that can amass about a pound of stored fat, but..... I think a lot of us run into problems in making the rest of the generic formula fit us.

For instance, that usual 2000 per day you quoted may be the number we get from the calorie calculators, but we may be the person with the really poor metabolism, and despite our accurate input of height and weight, of sex and age, of even our very modest assessment of our exercise level, those calculators may be spitting out a calorie figure which is far above what is actually being required for our personal BMR.

So even in cutting back to 500 calorie Down Days three days a week, by eating four days a week at 2000 calories each, we can be overeating our low calorie needs to the point of no weight loss.

The above example averages out to 1357 calories daily, which sure doesn't look like all that much, and yet I know of many women at various ages and current weights that would be in maintenance at that overall daily calorie average, and not losing weight at that average.

We have unhappy stories of gals who have counted calories and held them to the level of 900 a day, and failed to be able to lose weight. It's easy to see why they believe that calorie counting *doesn't work*... but the awful truth is that their metabolism has slowed to that terrible slow pace, and their calorie intake is just what they need now to maintain on. To lose weight, they'd have to lower even below that!

So we have to take the calorie number that calculators spit out for us with hope but also with a bit of scepticism, test it out, and see if we get results. If we aren't seeing weight loss, then we can lower that UD calorie number a bit until we do.

But, one of the things we really look forward to with JUDDD is the possibility that it will help us rev our metabolism up a bit. I doesn't for some, but it sure does for others! I'm way better at burning calories than my sluggish metabolism was a year and two ago! And what a gift that is! That's why we think it's a good idea to stick to those very low calories on DDs in order to eat every single UD calorie... trying to pound like some sort of mad piston, down against the DD number and then pound up against that UD number in a crazy effort to push that UD calorie number higher and higher, without it causing any halt in weight loss, or any gain.

Anyway, just my 2˘ on this subject. We can only trust those calorie needs calculators so far, but so many of us wouldn't be fat in the first place if they applied all that well to us. But the thing to focus on is the fact that JUDDD can often *fix us*...
Old 11-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Pat--thank you very much for all your info and wisdom. Since my first post, I have read SEVERAL threads in this JUDDD forum and have learned LOTS.
You and Beeb are correct--I KNEW I was not going over 500-600 cals on my DDs, but after starting to keep track of my cals on my UDs yesterday, I have been enlightened!
I def was eating over the limit, so I was prob cancelling out all my hard DDs work--hence my two-week stall. I have consulted several online calculators as suggested by others, and have come up with 600/1600 for my DD/UD totals. I will try this for a week and post back my results. I hope this will also help anyone else, who like me, can't get his/her "starter" going.
Tiva: thanks for allowing me to "thread-jack." I didn't know what I was doing.
THANKS EVERYONE! I truly don't think I could get through this w/o people like you!
Old 11-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Quote:
Tiva: thanks for allowing me to "thread-jack." I didn't know what I was doing.
THANKS EVERYONE! I truly don't think I could get through this w/o people like you!
You really weren't thread jacking--I was hoping that others who were having some trouble losing would share their experiences, exactly so that people could offer useful feedback. And that's what happened, so I'm delighted. I look forward to learning how you fare.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote