Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cavewoman
WOE: low carb / high fat + intuitive eating
How crazy do you go on up days?

I've hit a huge stall with low carbing. I lost about 35 lbs the first four months but haven't lost at all in the last 1.5 months. I've previously really enjoyed intermittent fasting/alternate day fasting type things and thought that JUDDD would be good to try.

My question is, on up days, even though you don't intentionally over eat, how many "bad for you" foods do you end up eating? For example, I'd probably stay around 1900 calories (the amount needed to maintain my weight), but how many carbs should I let myself eat? I'm sure this differs for everyone.

But Jesus Christ, it'd be nice to eat normal, not weird low carby toast, every other day. Do you think 60ish carbs is too high to start at? 50?

Right now, I eat about 25-30 carbs.

Thanks in advance!
cavewoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavewoman View Post
I've hit a huge stall with low carbing. I lost about 35 lbs the first four months but haven't lost at all in the last 1.5 months. I've previously really enjoyed intermittent fasting/alternate day fasting type things and thought that JUDDD would be good to try.

My question is, on up days, even though you don't intentionally over eat, how many "bad for you" foods do you end up eating? For example, I'd probably stay around 1900 calories (the amount needed to maintain my weight), but how many carbs should I let myself eat? I'm sure this differs for everyone.

But Jesus Christ, it'd be nice to eat normal, not weird low carby toast, every other day. Do you think 60ish carbs is too high to start at? 50?

Right now, I eat about 25-30 carbs.

Thanks in advance!
Hmmm... Very surprised and excited to see you thinking about coming over to the "Dark Side" of calorie counting, and eating very low cals every other day!

Lots still do a LC WOE along with JUDDD. And no, I would have to say we DON'T go off the deep end and eat all kinds of junky food on our UDs. All of us pretty much eat a good, healthy, and balanced WOE on JUDDD both UDs AND DDs. We all eat as many or as few carbs as we feel like it and THAT is the beauty of JUDDD. It works for YOU and how YOU want it to work. NO food rules, only what our calorie limits are for UDs and DDs and whatever other types of food limits YOU decide.

HTH

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Restart: July 14,2014 Restart
I mostly eat fruits and vegetables that I couldn't have on LC. However, since I started at the beginning of this month, I have had cake!

I really don't even count carbs anymore... but I know that many here do still count.
Low Carb Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:13 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Hi Cavewoman!

When I came to JUDDD from LC (under 30 g day) at first I was going to keep it low carb, and I think the only carby thing I had on my first UD was a sandwich with a handful of potato chips. Then I've gone on to not worry about carbs at all and just eat whatever I want.

I've had some of the foods I denied myself for months, like certain fast food items and my own homemade pizza (with real crusts!) There was one week I overdid it with seeing how many calories I could eat on my UDs, but then I got back on track with the proper calorie numbers and now I'm losing again.

On my DD I eat lots of raw veggies among other low calorie things.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:15 AM   #5
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
One of these up days, when I feel solid about the program, I'm going to have jack in the box tacos (lol). Until then, I keep it pretty primal. I am thinking of adding sweet potatoes on some up days as well.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavewoman View Post
My question is, on up days, even though you don't intentionally over eat, how many "bad for you" foods do you end up eating?
I truly don't think of foods as *good for you/bad for you* black or white terms.

I do think of well grounded and well rounded diets as including ample foods from all three macro-nutrient groups, fat and protein and carbohydrate.

I have gone back to eating much as my family and neighbors did decades ago when I was a child, which is basically foods prepared from scratch, almost no commercially prepared foods, and little of the alternative *substitutions* intended to imitate fats, imitate flour, imitate sugar, imitate whatever. I mostly just use the real thing and let it go at that.

The bulk of my diet is eaten on Up Days, when all foods are *real*. The tiniest portion of my diet is on Down Days, when I sometimes use a small portion of *fake* sweeteners, etc.

I eat all of those real foods that I ate on strict Low Carb, although still no bars or substitute make-do products. I also eat all higher carb vegetables including corn and white potatoes. I eat all fruit, of any kind, except any canned in HFCS syrup. I eat lots of bread, although not the general sliced white bread type of bread.. I buy amazing artisan loaves. In fact, I just pulled an asiago cheese loaf out of my oven, where I heated it hot again as though it were fresh baked, sliced off two thick slices and spread with hunks of cold unsalted butter, and with a slice of cheddar cheese on it. Happy Breakfast to Me!

I like the occasional bowl of cold breakfast cereal. Right now, my fancy is fixed on the old-fashioned plain ol' corn flakes! LOL With cold milk and sugar! I don't drink a lot of milk, but don't hesitate to drink a glass whenever I want one. Whole milk. Like back when I was a kid, before they even invented the abomination of skimming milk.

I also bake cookies, from scratch, and cakes, etc. We enjoy ice cream. Right now we're enjoying pineapple sherbet each evening.

Maybe the foods I eat would include some you consider the "bad for you" foods. To me, they're not bad at all. They're just the foods my slim family and ancestors have always made their meals from. I thrive. My health exams and lab reports are great. I feel far better and with more energy and JOY than I have in years.

Everyone doing JUDDD here gets to pick and choose the foods they want to focus on, want to make their menus and meals from. We have folks who eat very low carb still, and those who eat at a quite healthy mid-range of carbs (me). What you choose to eat is completely up to you. The cycling plan for how to take in the calories from your foods is what is guided by the JUDDD plan.

And how well you follow the plan and do all of this, is entirely up to you.

Last edited by SoHappy; 10-25-2011 at 07:40 AM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:46 AM   #7
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Well I had a UDayapalooza yesterday. LOL. I can't even wrap my mind around the total for the day! I may visit ****** and put stuff in as close as I can get it just for grins and giggles. But usually I aim for around 1400-1500 cals on UDs.
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I truly don't think of foods as *good for you/bad for you* black or white terms.

I do think of well grounded and well rounded diets as including ample foods from all three macro-nutrient groups, fat and protein and carbohydrate.

I have gone back to eating much as my family and neighbors did decades ago when I was a child, which is basically foods prepared from scratch, almost no commercially prepared foods, and little of the alternative *substitutions* intended to imitate fats, imitate flour, imitate sugar, imitate whatever. I mostly just use the real thing and let it go at that.

The bulk of my diet is eaten on Up Days, when all foods are *real*. The tiniest portion of my diet is on Down Days, when I sometimes use a small portion of *fake* sweeteners, etc.

I eat all of those real foods that I ate on strict Low Carb, although still no bars or substitute make-do products. I also eat all higher carb vegetables including corn and white potatoes. I eat all fruit, of any kind, except any canned in HFCS syrup. I eat lots of bread, although not the general sliced white bread type of bread.. I buy amazing artisan loaves. In fact, I just pulled an asiago cheese loaf out of my oven, where I heated it hot again as though it were fresh baked, sliced off two thick slices and spread with hunks of cold unsalted butter, and with a slice of cheddar cheese on it. Happy Breakfast to Me!

I like the occasional bowl of cold breakfast cereal. Right now, my fancy is fixed on the old-fashioned plain ol' corn flakes! LOL With cold milk and sugar! I don't drink a lot of milk, but don't hesitate to drink a glass whenever I want one. Whole milk. Like back when I was a kid, before they even invented the abomination of skimming milk.

I also bake cookies, from scratch, and cakes, etc. We enjoy ice cream. Right now we're enjoying pineapple sherbet each evening.

Maybe the foods I eat would include some you consider the "bad for you" foods. To me, they're not bad at all. They're just the foods my slim family and ancestors have always made their meals from. I thrive. My health exams and lab reports are great. I feel far better and with more energy and JOY than I have in years.

Everyone doing JUDDD here gets to pick and choose the foods they want to focus on, want to make their menus and meals from. We have folks who eat very low carb still, and those who eat at a quite healthy mid-range of carbs (me). What you choose to eat is completely up to you. The cycling plan for how to take in the calories from your foods is what is guided by the JUDDD plan.

And how well you follow the plan and do all of this, is entirely up to you.
And as always Pat put it exactly like most of us who can't find the right words There are NO bad foods, only the foods you would like of as "bad". No black list, no can't haves, no list of "words to avoid". It's how YOU want to do JUDDD, plain and simple. Most, if not all JUDDDers still eat a great LC/Moderate LC, healthy diet. I really don't see anyone of us eating a whole box of devil dogs on your UDs just because we can!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeb View Post
And as always Pat put it exactly like most of us who can't find the right words There are NO bad foods, only the foods you would like of as "bad". No black list, no can't haves, no list of "words to avoid". It's how YOU want to do JUDDD, plain and simple. Most, if not all JUDDDers still eat a great LC/Moderate LC, healthy diet. I really don't see anyone of us eating a whole box of devil dogs on your UDs just because we can!
What are *devil dogs*??? Because I probably want to eat one.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
They're like chocolate Twinkies.

synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:05 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
As to how crazy I get on UDs.. the first couple of them I went pretty crazy. Candy and ice-cream crazy. Just because I COULD!

Now I'm more likely to enjoy a bit of healthy carbs that I wouldn't eat on fully LC -- fruit, a bit of pasta or rice, potatoes, squash.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Synger gave us a picture of Devil Dogs, Pat and I just say they are PLAIN EVIL!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #13
Administrator

lol oh I'd forgotten Little Debbies donut sticks! Nothing but flour, shortening and sugar but I was addicted to them!
Old 10-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LuvLatte
Stats: 135/141/123 @ 5'3" and 46 yo
WOE: LC on and off. Now whole foods & JUDDD
Start Date: Restart: 9/21/2011 w JUDDD at 145
Funny thing is I don't go crazy on UDs, it's those dang DDs that many times became MDs or even UDs!!!
LuvLatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #15

Gallery: Cruzcrzy
Stats: 183/136/129-131
I am still having a problem with the sugar on my UD's. In fact, JUST this evening I told my dh that I really need to get control of it. Honestly, I don't feel as well mentally or physically when I have TOO much sugar, like I have been. It has not been in moderation., I do seem in the minority around here in that respect, which I am glad for, that others are not having the same problem.
Cruzcrzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #16
Administrator

Cruz I don't "do" sugar well either. I just don't feel my best if I eat it in any quantity.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzcrzy View Post
I am still having a problem with the sugar on my UD's. In fact, JUST this evening I told my dh that I really need to get control of it. Honestly, I don't feel as well mentally or physically when I have TOO much sugar, like I have been. It has not been in moderation., I do seem in the minority around here in that respect, which I am glad for, that others are not having the same problem.
I'm with you!! I can't eat much sugar either because of the cravings I get from it AND what it does to my Fibromyalgia! I'm the salty/crunchy kind of gal!
Old 10-25-2011, 04:20 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kris4chloe
Stats: 229/181/140 HW:265
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Sept 2011 Restart / Sept 2010 Original Start
Quote:
count me in on the sugar thing, to much causes me to be hungrier and make for cravings. so those are the kinds of carbs i am trying to watch now. i know i have had some days where i tried it, and it just did not work for me.
kris4chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris4chloe View Post
count me in on the sugar thing, to much causes me to be hungrier and make for cravings. so those are the kinds of carbs i am trying to watch now. i know i have had some days where i tried it, and it just did not work for me.
It doesn't work for me either, but, I keep doing it!!! I went months without it. I know I can break the cycle because I've done it before. It's too bad I don't have enough self control to have it in moderation.....sigh...
Old 10-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLatte View Post
Funny thing is I don't go crazy on UDs, it's those dang DDs that many times became MDs or even UDs!!!
I'm sorry. Sometimes it's hard.

Do you think your UD calorie number is set correctly? I'm just wondering if it is set high enough. People underestimate the value and importance of those calories to fuel them well into the next day, so I don't know your stats for doing the figuring, but am wondering about that here.

The other thing that comes to mind is.. to you have your DDs planned out ahead of time? Do you have your menus planned out and your foods prepped or even prepared, ready to grab when hunger strikes?

And have you read our thread about whiffing peppermint oil extract? I swear, that helped me yesterday. I'm going to do that again tomorrow and see if it seems to work again or was just all in my head. LOL

Do you do anything with the glucomannan powder, make any of the zero or very low cal gels and puddings to fill your tummy for little or no calorie load?
Old 10-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #21

Quote:
It doesn't work for me either, but, I keep doing it!!! I went months without it. I know I can break the cycle because I've done it before. It's too bad I don't have enough self control to have it in moderation.....sigh...
You haven't done JUDDD for all that long however. It is truly entirely possible that this too will be addressed in your physical responses as time passes. According to so many studies, calorie restriction/cycling plans are truly healing and normalizing and practically transforming for us, but I don't think we can expect it all within a few immediate weeks. But as months go by, Marie, you may find yourself able to enjoy a little sweet, and appreciate it and enjoy it, and then be perfectly done. That would be a fun place to get to. But regardless, you are doing a nice job with JUDDDing, and it looks like you are maintaining nicely on it, enjoying the foods that you do choose. Hard to get much better than that.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:01 PM   #22

Quote:
You haven't done JUDDD for all that long however. It is truly entirely possible that this too will be addressed in your physical responses as time passes. According to so many studies, calorie restriction/cycling plans are truly healing and normalizing and practically transforming for us, but I don't think we can expect it all within a few immediate weeks. But as months go by, Marie, you may find yourself able to enjoy a little sweet, and appreciate it and enjoy it, and then be perfectly done. That would be a fun place to get to. But regardless, you are doing a nice job with JUDDDing, and it looks like you are maintaining nicely on it, enjoying the foods that you do choose. Hard to get much better than that.
Thanks for the encouragement Pat. I love JUDDD and it is like a dream come true, lol. Perhaps I am still in the honeymoon phase. I keep "thinking" after my surgery I will have be forced to tow the line, so perhaps that has something to do with my current behavior too. However, it would really benefit me NOW to eat more healthy before my surgery. I'll get there. Thanks again.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement Pat. I love JUDDD and it is like a dream come true, lol. Perhaps I am still in the honeymoon phase. I keep "thinking" after my surgery I will have be forced to tow the line, so perhaps that has something to do with my current behavior too. However, it would really benefit me NOW to eat more healthy before my surgery. I'll get there. Thanks again.
I know you'll get there, Marie. I think you've pretty well arrived there already.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Yeah, I haven't been here that long, but it looks like on your stats you are BELOW goal weight? You look glowing and wonderful in your pic, so whatever you're doing, it can't be too far off range!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #25

Quote:
I know you'll get there, Marie. I think you've pretty well arrived there already.
Thanks, Pat. You are right, it hasn't been THAT long. I am hopeful that it will improve for me. It's up to me .
Old 10-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Yeah, I haven't been here that long, but it looks like on your stats you are BELOW goal weight? You look glowing and wonderful in your pic, so whatever you're doing, it can't be too far off range!
Thanks, Sophie. My goal weight is 148. The 151 stat is my last dosage weight from my last round of hhcg. That is significant because you are suppose to not go over 2 pounds or a correction day is in order. I've done two rounds of hhcg, but, have never had to do a correction day, thankfully. The 148 is a weight that got me into the "normal" category on the bmi charts,and also a weight at aged 48 I felt I could maintain rather easily. I've been staying between 146-148 with JUDDD which I am thrilled about. Of course, after my cosmetic surgery I will drop down about 8-10 pounds I suspect. I am hopeful I will be able to maintain at whatever weight I settle at eventually after the swelling, etc.

Sophie you are a wonderful addition to the forum and I really appreciate your encouragement and enthusiasm. You are a great friend to ALL. Thank you.

The BEACH is my HAPPY PLACE.