Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
The Peppermint Oil Experiment

I read a small item in the newspaper this morning, similar to bits I'd stumbled across before on occasion. This one talked of studies done in appetite suppression.

The findings were that taking a whiff of Peppermint brought about appetite suppression. But the real peppermint oil essence apparently was what worked best, because they got very little result when having the study subjects suck on peppermint candies or chew peppermint gum, despite the subjects being able to smell *peppermint* in those two sources.

So... I remembered I had some pure peppermint oil I'd purchased from a Health store a few years ago. I dug it out and took a sniff. Sure enough, I could still smell the peppermint-iness of it. So I dabbed a little beneath my nose.

And, I've opened the bottle and taken a little whiff a few times since then.

It's after 3:00 in the afternoon today, and I haven't had anything to eat yet except a tiny bit of my zero calorie gluc gel, and three mugs of black coffee. And I'm not very hungry as I type this. Maybe it's the peppermint or maybe it's just a coincidence, but on most of my DDs, I would have eaten by now for sure, or else I'd be really, really, really hungry by now.

I am an immediate and true believer already! I am now a peppermint oil sniffer, and will incorporate this into all of my future DDs.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Nice experiment! I also heard that the smell of grapefruit does it?
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Nice experiment! I also heard that the smell of grapefruit does it?
That one I can't say anything about. I do know I smell grapefruit on a fairly regular basis, because I eat it pretty often. LOL I haven't noticed it suppressing my appetite though.

Last edited by SoHappy; 10-24-2011 at 01:38 PM..
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #4

Gallery: Cruzcrzy
Stats: 183/136/129-131
Pat,

I am going to be following your progress. Where would I find some if I decided to be a peppermint sniffer too?
Cruzcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzcrzy View Post
Pat,

I am going to be following your progress. Where would I find some if I decided to be a peppermint sniffer too?
My guess would be any Health Food store. The one I went to several years ago may have even been a GNC chain store in the mall.. just can't quite remember for sure. But they had a nice display offering lots of pure extracts and oils.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:56 PM   #6

Gallery: Cruzcrzy
Stats: 183/136/129-131
Thanks, Pat. I will let you know if/when I pick some up!
Cruzcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:05 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
This sounds too good to be true. Please keep us updated.
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:22 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kimmarie
Stats: 325/293.8/150
WOE: low carb
I think I have some old peppermint oil. I will have to see if I can find it. I will take any help I can get!
kimmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:54 AM   #9

Well, here's my report.

I ended yesterday's DD at only 213 calories. I felt no hunger during the entire day, and only modest periods of *appetite*.

Until my first meal at about 6:30 in the evening, I drank 3 or 4 mugs of black coffee, and ate a total of 1 cup of ZERO calorie glucomannan gel. So that was a little bit tummy filling and probably helped some. ?

I took periodic whiffs of the peppermint oil, even dabbing a smidge beneath my nose occasionally.

I have absolutely no idea whether my lack of hunger was the result of the peppermint oil suppressing my appetite, whether this was all a placebo effect from reading the newspaper article that morning, or whether it was just one of those occasional normally-occuring DDs where it doesn't bother me at all and I just naturally don't feel very hungry.

I do plan to try this again tomorrow on my next DD. More peppermint oil whiffing and zero calorie glucomannan gel. If tomorrow ends up being as easy to get through at extremely low calories, that will go further to proving this as a real help.

Today is my UD, and I've had a cup of coffee with half & half. Not hungry for anything else yet, but I plan to make this a good UD and get in plenty of calories and good nourishment.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:36 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Whoo Hoo, found it and sniffing right now!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
I trained as an aromatherapist.masseuse...and I still have a huge wooden box full of oils...off to hunt for a peppermint one!

Perhaps soon we will be able to recognise other judders when out and about....by the frequent sniffs they make...and the faint whiff of peppermint that lingers around them....

hugs
jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:13 AM   #12

Kim is whiffing peppermint oil, and Jo is rummaging through her leftover oils too, hunting for peppermint.

I'll be looking forward to reports from both of you about this.

If it really doesn't work after all, it's a waste of my peppermint oil, which I can save for Christmas baking. But if it is actually helpful, I'd like to be able to let folks know.

I'll definitely be using it again tomorrow on my next DD. I'll try it for a few DDs as a real test and try to judge its effectiveness fairly.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #13

Oh. I wanted to add this: My oil is Simply Organic brand, and appears to be a blend of organic peppermint oil with organic sunflower oil. So not 100%..... I wonder if this is the normal way peppermint oil is *packaged*?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Debrat3
Stats: 257/235/goal 130 5'3"
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Oct. 12,2011/restart Oct.1,2012
You can also get gourmet LorAnn oils that are use for cooking at like Michaels or craft stores that sell that sort of thing. Walmart used to sell those LorAnn oils. I use them for making suckers.
Debrat3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:45 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ragdoll24
Stats: 203/cw110.2/108.6 LDW
WOE: LC,IF,RX hCG Simeons for last 20 lbs. Phase3
Start Date: January 2007
I picked up some Peppermint Oil today and am sniffing away. The oil is also good for the sinus and chest congestion so it will be a big benefit to me if it helps with both.
Ragdoll24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragdoll24 View Post
I picked up some Peppermint Oil today and am sniffing away. The oil is also good for the sinus and chest congestion so it will be a big benefit to me if it helps with both.
I didn't know it was felt to help with congestion as well. I'll remember that if I ever get sick this winter. I never do get colds or flu, but just in case.. I'm always prepared.

Be sure to report back if you think it had any benefit. I most definitely felt less hungry as I used this stuff throughout the day! But, don't actually know yet whether to give the credit to sniffing the peppermint, or whether that was just incidental.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Oh. I wanted to add this: My oil is Simply Organic brand, and appears to be a blend of organic peppermint oil with organic sunflower oil. So not 100%..... I wonder if this is the normal way peppermint oil is *packaged*?
What you have is a blend...that is, an essential oil, blended with a carrier oil...its how we use them for skin application, as most neat essential oils are too strong (and super expensive ones like rose and jasmine come in a carrier...or us poorer folks cant afford them!)

peppermint is quite cheap..if it keeps working for you, try the neat version!

The majority of my oils are neat...it just means you use less.

I use lots of mine for cooking..rosemary, marjoram, dill, thyme..all the citrus and minty ones too. Black pepper oil is fab!

hugs
Jo
x

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedi View Post
peppermint is quite cheap..if it keeps working for you, try the neat version!
Just don't rub directly under your nose, would irritate the mucous membranes if it touched, or your skin possibly.

I know for sinus infections I take my tea tree, dip a swab in it, and smell it while it's fresh. I don't like the smell, but I think it's excellent for killing what's up there!

Been sniffing my peppermint oil today...on my Up Day, since that's when my hunger rears its nasty head. Guess it's working okay, have stuck to plan, used some of my spare calories but not over.
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
I think I have some peppermint oil left that I added to a melted chocolate recipe years ago - I hope this will work too. I'll try to look it up tomorrow for my DD and start sniffing away!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

My peppermint oil is an essential oil left over from the days when I used aroma therapy. It is very strong, and not the kind used for cooking, I don't think. I used it today and it did lessen the hunger I felt from fasting all day until dinner. Also good for clearing out my sinuses I will be trying it again on my next DD.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Hmm, good to know, Kimmarie. I will try the cooking kind that I have tomorrow on my DD, but if it doesn't work, I'll pick up some of the essential oil at the hfs soon!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
Just don't rub directly under your nose, would irritate the mucous membranes if it touched, or your skin possibly.

I know for sinus infections I take my tea tree, dip a swab in it, and smell it while it's fresh. I don't like the smell, but I think it's excellent for killing what's up there!

Been sniffing my peppermint oil today...on my Up Day, since that's when my hunger rears its nasty head. Guess it's working okay, have stuck to plan, used some of my spare calories but not over.
Thanks, Paula. I'm going to get some of the pure stuff, but I'll remember not to dab it on my nostrils!

And I have to ask..... What are *spare calories*?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Cool idea!

For a portable version:

Get a small canister or spice jar or prescription bottle
(a film canister would be perfect BUT DOES ANYONE BUY FILM ANYMORE??!)
and put in a cotton ball, add a few drops of peppermint oil.

I'm using my empty glucose testing strip container. The top is connected so I can open & close it with my thumb...convenient!

I read the Shangri-La Diet book a while back, and the author suggests something similar...but I think you can use fruity smells, as well. The idea is just to take several deep whiffs of something when you feel hungry. Often we smell/see something and want to get it into our mouths as soon as possible, so our bodies associate smell with calories. Sever that association by smelling "food" and NOT eating, and your hunger signals will change, and you may lose weight more easily (so his theory goes).

And I remember an article a while back that said people who smelled food (specifically, strawberries or popcorn) while they were exercising burned more calories.

Anyway, I had the idea of getting several cheap fruity lip-glosses or Chapsticks in different scents, and using those as my "sniffers". Didn't really need to go through with it, though, as I've been laid off! And I sort of forgot about it!

Burt's Bees and The Merry Hempsters both make very nice-smelling peppermint lip balms.
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:33 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
And I have to ask..... What are *spare calories*?
Spare calories are all in my head. I ******'ed my planned food to come up to about 1500 calories, which left myself 100 calories to play with if I needed them. I guess I need a few mind tricks to keep below my UD.
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:18 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
Spare calories are all in my head. I ******'ed my planned food to come up to about 1500 calories, which left myself 100 calories to play with if I needed them. I guess I need a few mind tricks to keep below my UD.
OK.. I get it. Good idea. This would be good to use on whichever day gave a JUDDDer the most problem. Some might plan for their 400 calorie DD, period. With a spare 100 calories.

Although if I planned my UDs with spare calories, based on my past history, I'd have to plan on an 1800 calorie UD. And then know I had a spare 400 or 500 calories.

I'm sniffing my peppermint oil already today. I expect another very successful DD. Off to make some strawberry glucomannan gel.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:53 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 2muchme
Stats: 154/139/130 - 6 # lost on JUDDD
WOE: HCG, then atkins, now JUDDD
Start Date: Atkins, summer 2011: JUDDD, 10/24/2011
I have a large supply of essential oils. I'll have to try this since I have such a hard time on DD.
2muchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #27
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
I wonder if it's just the scent? I have a bottle of peppermint extract I haven't even opened lol.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Is it the essential oil or the extrace? Does it matter?
Old 10-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I wonder if it's just the scent? I have a bottle of peppermint extract I haven't even opened lol.
The article said that in the study, it was found that when the study subjects sucked on peppermint candies or chewed peppermint gum, the "minty" smell didn't work as well. It was most dependable for the subjects to take sniffs of peppermint extract oil.

I don't know if there is anything to this, but I'm repeating the experiment today, and going for a fasting day of about 250 calories.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Very curious about your experiment. I could REALLY use this!!