Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,840
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I wonder if it's just the scent? I have a bottle of peppermint extract I haven't even opened lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchme View Post
Is it the essential oil or the extract? Does it matter?
I think it's just the scent, and it doesn't matter whether it's oil or extract.

In other words, if the subjects had smelled the candy or gum, instead of putting it in their mouths, it might have worked (theoretically).

I wonder how a peppermint candle would work?
That sure would be nice around Christmas!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2011, 11:49 AM   #32
Administrator
 
Dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: S.E. Texas Gulf Coast
Posts: 71,409
Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
Jenny I read "peppermint candy" and thought that a York wouldn't last long enough to sniff!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:53 AM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!
 
sophiethecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maintain Lane
Posts: 5,189
Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
I'm also wondering if the reason the candy and gum didn't work was because they were sucking/eating/chewing and that affects digestion and blood sugars and whatnot?

Great idea on the peppermint candle at Christmas time!

Also, I wonder if Bath n Body Works or other companies have peppermint scented lotions, body washes, fragrances, etc. You could WEAR the scent on DD
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #34
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I don't know about whether just the fragrance of peppermint would suffice or not.

I know I read about lavender use for calming and soothing, but the studies showed that it had to be from the real molecules being inhaled and then affecting the brain (somehow), rather than just the artificial smell of lavender. Or maybe if the fragrance was too slight?

I think Jo used to work in aromatherapy or be an aromatherapist, so maybe she will see this and comment on why we might need essential oils or whether very slight or artificial scents might suffice.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!
 
paulabob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,544
Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I think Jo used to work in aromatherapy or be an aromatherapist, so maybe she will see this and comment on why we might need essential oils or whether very slight or artificial scents might suffice.
I think peppermint is one of those where artificial scents are rarely used, because the oil is so common and inexpensive to produce. So I would guess most peppermint candles really would have peppermint in them...
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #36
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
I think peppermint is one of those where artificial scents are rarely used, because the oil is so common and inexpensive to produce. So I would guess most peppermint candles really would have peppermint in them...
I wonder if I can grow peppermint. I know I can grow *mint*.. but would this be actual peppermint? Or is peppermint the result of some blend or something.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!
 
Debrat3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: WA. state
Posts: 1,394
Gallery: Debrat3
Stats: 257/235/goal 130 5'3"
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: Oct. 12,2011/restart Oct.1,2012
When I was first married we had a friend who worked for a mint farmer. He would bring us mint oil in bottles that was processed on the farm. We had a swamp cooler at the time and I would pour some of that in the water and the whole house would smell like mint. Come to think of it I was skinny back then. lol
Debrat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member
 
2muchme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: southwestern pa
Posts: 240
Gallery: 2muchme
Stats: 154/139/130 - 6 # lost on JUDDD
WOE: HCG, then atkins, now JUDDD
Start Date: Atkins, summer 2011: JUDDD, 10/24/2011
I'm growing mint but it's spearmint. I have actually wondered about growing peppermint before. I make a pretty good salad dressing w dried mint, lemon juice, oil, acv and some spices. Guess I can't make that on DD. And, yes, it really needs the oil. Unfortunately.
2muchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!
 
Joedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: England
Posts: 1,481
Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
I don't know about whether just the fragrance of peppermint would suffice or not.

I know I read about lavender use for calming and soothing, but the studies showed that it had to be from the real molecules being inhaled and then affecting the brain (somehow), rather than just the artificial smell of lavender. Or maybe if the fragrance was too slight?

I think Jo used to work in aromatherapy or be an aromatherapist, so maybe she will see this and comment on why we might need essential oils or whether very slight or artificial scents might suffice.
I got a diploma in aromatherapy some years ago, and from what I remember when you breathe in essential oil molecules, some researchers believe that they stimulate the parts of your brain that influence physical, emotional, and mental health.
For example lavendar is believed to stimulate the activity of brain cells in a certain part of the brain similar to the way some sedative medications work. This is why so many sleep remedies contain lavendar!
Other researchers think that some molecules from essential oils may interact in the blood with hormones or enzymes.
IMO, and from what I learned, synthetic scents are fine for just fragrancing...but if you want real physical effects, you need the real oil, not a chemical...which will have a completley different composition.

Paulabob is right...real peppermint oil is used in practically all peppermint things...it is so cheap to make, there is no need to make an immitation!

Sometimes an oil will be diluted in a carrier oil...this will be weaker, but still effective.

DD for me tomorrow...so I will be trying out the effect!

hugs
Jo
x
__________________


"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"

Last edited by Joedi; 10-26-2011 at 04:10 PM..
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!
 
Joedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: England
Posts: 1,481
Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
OK.. I get it. Good idea. This would be good to use on whichever day gave a JUDDDer the most problem. Some might plan for their 400 calorie DD, period. With a spare 100 calories.

Although if I planned my UDs with spare calories, based on my past history, I'd have to plan on an 1800 calorie UD. And then know I had a spare 400 or 500 calories.



I'm sniffing my peppermint oil already today. I expect another very successful DD. Off to make some strawberry glucomannan gel.
Pat, can I ask how long it took you to push your UD calories to such fabulous heights?

Did you do it gradually, just a few cals at a time? Did you gain a little...just maintain, or continue to lose?

I am hoping to push mine up a little at a time too!

hugs
jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #41
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Cruzcrzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 10,936
Gallery: Cruzcrzy
Stats: 183/136/129-131
Pat,

today I was at a Spa for a massage and waxing, and guess what I saw? There on the shelf with some products for sale was ONE bottle of peppermint oil(by Aveda) just waiting for me. I scooped it up and I am now ready for my down day tomorrow . I can't wait to give it a try!
Cruzcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #42
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzcrzy View Post
Pat,

today I was at a Spa for a massage and waxing, and guess what I saw? There on the shelf with some products for sale was ONE bottle of peppermint oil(by Aveda) just waiting for me. I scooped it up and I am now ready for my down day tomorrow . I can't wait to give it a try!
Laughing wildly here!

Good luck! I've done this two DDs now, and darned if I don't think it helps!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #43
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Cruzcrzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 10,936
Gallery: Cruzcrzy
Stats: 183/136/129-131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Laughing wildly here!

Good luck! I've done this two DDs now, and darned if I don't think it helps!
Last evening I was telling my dh about the "peppermint experiment". Of course, he chuckled. I just emailed him at work to let him know I have MY BOTTLE, LOL.
Cruzcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #44
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedi View Post
Pat, can I ask how long it took you to push your UD calories to such fabulous heights?

Did you do it gradually, just a few cals at a time? Did you gain a little...just maintain, or continue to lose?

I am hoping to push mine up a little at a time too!

hugs
jo
x
You know, I think that just sort of happened gradually. Once I could keep my DDs to a pretty good low number, I relaxed about the UD ceiling a bit more often, exceeding it often enough that I began to realize that it wasn't causing me any particular weight gain.

I mean, my weight would still do the UD/DD full gut/empty gut weight fluctuations, but no real gaining that wouldn't stop. So then, I'd think hmmmmmm...... I guess my UD calories can be higher now. So I'd add another fifty or one hundred, and that became the new UD ceiling number.

I think there might have been a time or two when I bumped the UD number down again by 50 or so but then was able to bring it back up shortly. I definitely can eat more now than when I started on JUDDD without weight gain! And this is AT MY CARB LEVEL, which, as you know, isn't tiny!

Considering my short stature, my age, and my thyroid disease, etc. I feel like I'm eating at a pretty darned exceptional calorie level for an old gal.
__________________
Best wishes, Pat
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!
 
vilanteira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,067
Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
I found I had a little bottle of peppermint essential oil sitting in my closet and brought it to work for my DD today. I don't know if it's a coincidence or if it's because this is my second DD, but I didn't get hungry until about 1pm, and then when I ate, I couldn't finish half my salad! This is just unheard of for someone like me who's a huge breakfast person! I'll definitely keep trying and report back.

As an aside though, several coworkers commented on the smell because it's really strong apparently. One of them walked by and said, "wow, who's chewing some really strong mints today?" Another one said she felt like she was in that Dentyne Ice commercial where everything turns frozen and super refreshed.
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:09 PM   #46
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Funny! ^^^
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sazzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,142
Gallery: sazzie
Stats: Maintaining ±4 lbs.
WOE: JUDDD
Well, I tried the Peppermint Oil for the first time yesterday on my DD, and I am declaring that because of it, I only ate 269 calories. Now that is, by far, the least amount of calories I've consumed since starting JUDD two weeks ago.

I'm not sure I want to eat that few calories on DDs, but I wanted to test the Peppermint Oil......my next DD will really tell the story, however.

I think I may have snorted too much though because I could feel the air clear through my head, if that makes any sense.
__________________
Gracie




Gracie's Journal
sazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!
 
Joedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: England
Posts: 1,481
Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Found mine...eventually..think it was the last oil I checked!

It was in a carrier oil though..so the smell wasn't strong enough to last.

Just bought a pure one on Ebay for £1.68..free shipping..cant be robbed for that!

If it doesnt work...I guess I will be eating a lot of choc/mint gluc pudding!
hugs
Jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #49
Blabbermouth!!!
 
sophiethecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maintain Lane
Posts: 5,189
Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Everytime I smell peppermint now for the rest of my life I will think of all of us on our DD, hunched over the bottles of peppermint oil
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #50
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sazzie View Post
Well, I tried the Peppermint Oil for the first time yesterday on my DD, and I am declaring that because of it, I only ate 269 calories. Now that is, by far, the least amount of calories I've consumed since starting JUDD two weeks ago.

I'm not sure I want to eat that few calories on DDs, but I wanted to test the Peppermint Oil......my next DD will really tell the story, however.

I think I may have snorted too much though because I could feel the air clear through my head, if that makes any sense.
Another funny! ^^^
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #51
Way too much time on my hands!
 
Cruzcrzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 10,936
Gallery: Cruzcrzy
Stats: 183/136/129-131
This thread is so funny, yet hopeful at the same time.
Cruzcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member
 
2muchme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: southwestern pa
Posts: 240
Gallery: 2muchme
Stats: 154/139/130 - 6 # lost on JUDDD
WOE: HCG, then atkins, now JUDDD
Start Date: Atkins, summer 2011: JUDDD, 10/24/2011
I remembered this morning that we had used the oil we had to rid ourselves of moles that had taken up residence at the edge of the koi pond. Apparently they hate the smell and relocate. The good news....the moles are gone. The bad news....must buy more.
2muchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #53
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchme View Post
I remembered this morning that we had used the oil we had to rid ourselves of moles that had taken up residence at the edge of the koi pond. Apparently they hate the smell and relocate. The good news....the moles are gone. The bad news....must buy more.
LOL I've never heard that about moles.

I'll be having another DD tomorrow, so going to keep sniffing the peppermint and expect it to keep working for me. It really does seem to be a rather remarkable help.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member
 
2muchme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: southwestern pa
Posts: 240
Gallery: 2muchme
Stats: 154/139/130 - 6 # lost on JUDDD
WOE: HCG, then atkins, now JUDDD
Start Date: Atkins, summer 2011: JUDDD, 10/24/2011
yes, you put some on cotton balls and drop it down the mole hole. We didn't spring a leak so I think it worked.

Anyway, ebay really is good for these things. I have bought many oils there as they are much cheaper than health stores and such.
2muchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member
 
emky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 292
Gallery: emky
Stats: CW:144 GW:130
WOE: Atkins + Shangri-la
Start Date: January 2014
I don't care that I got up at 3 this morning and I'm exhausted; I'm going out to buy peppermint oil as soon as I get out of work study tonight! I think I'm actually going to need it more on my UDs, which I'm struggling with greatly.
emky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:13 PM   #56
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by emky View Post
I don't care that I got up at 3 this morning and I'm exhausted; I'm going out to buy peppermint oil as soon as I get out of work study tonight! I think I'm actually going to need it more on my UDs, which I'm struggling with greatly.
You know.. I hadn't even thought of this as it might apply to an Up Day, but I think it should be just as helpful to control appetite on UDs as on DDs. Good catch!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:09 PM   #57
Blabbermouth!!!
 
sophiethecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maintain Lane
Posts: 5,189
Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Just to add some crazy into this experiment, would someone be willing to put just a dab of Vick's Vapor Rub on their nostrils to see if it has an effect and report back to us?

Apparently it has menthol, which is an essential oil from peppermint in it....

sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:10 PM   #58
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,913
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Just to add some crazy into this experiment, would someone be willing to put just a dab of Vick's Vapor Rub on their nostrils to see if it has an effect and report back to us?

Apparently it has menthol, which is an essential oil from peppermint in it....

Truth be told.. I LOVE the smell of that stuff.

I'd be the perfect person to experiment with this. LOL
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,840
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<278/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
On TV, I've seen morgue attendants put menthol ointment below their noses...
so now I associate that with autopsies and corpses and stuff!

I've tried putting it near my nose but it burns the tarnation out of my skin and eyes!
I would maybe rub it on my chest or throat instead.
Actually, I quite like rubbing it on my throat (especially when I'm getting sick) and then wrapping up in a big scarf. So cozy! Although, my hippy family always used Tiger Balm, of course!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #60
Blabbermouth!!!
 
sophiethecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maintain Lane
Posts: 5,189
Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
On TV, I've seen morgue attendants put menthol ointment below their noses...
so now I associate that with autopsies and corpses and stuff!

I've tried putting it near my nose but it burns the tarnation out of my skin and eyes!
I would maybe rub it on my chest or throat instead.
Actually, I quite like rubbing it on my throat (especially when I'm getting sick) and then wrapping up in a big scarf. So cozy! Although, my hippy family always used Tiger Balm, of course!
Yes, even better than putting it around the nose (burning, rashes), put it on neck or chest!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:44 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.