Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: bosco0633
WOE: atkins induction
I may just give this a go

I have been reading about JUDDD for past few days and I really seem to like the idea of it. My dilemma is that I am an all or nothing kind of guy. I like Atkins and it works for me but it is because it's a diet involving discipline. After 5 months on Atkins I went off for about the same amount of time.

I lost 31 lbs. on Atkins and gained 13 back over 5 months

I just can't stick to weight watchers this time as there are to many options and I seem to do better with a form of control when I diet.

I like the concept of JUDDD because you force the body to restrict but still get to eat normal.

So I may just end my LC run and give this an honest shot. I am going to go and buy the book tonight and read more about it.

I guess worst case I can just go back to Atkins if I don't get the results.

I look forward to learning about this WOE and having a solid place to get support.

Look forward to getting to know all of you in here
bosco0633 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Allysmom24
Stats: 299/178/160
WOE: Lower Carb
welcome - I just started today myself for the exact same reasons that you stated.
Allysmom24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Welcome, Bosco. Once you give JUDDD a chance and learn a few *tricks of the trade* about it, you'll never want to go back to any other way of losing weight or maintaining weight loss!

You can do this eating any foods you choose to include in your diet. So if you want to remain very low carb, that is fine. If you want to eat only Twinkies, that'll work too. In other words, we all choose to eat the foods that we enjoy the most, feel the best from, etc. Some of us are pretty low carb, and others of us eat at a higher carb level, but JUDDD works wonderfully no matter what.

Once you've read the book, you can also feel free to ask any further questions here, etc. and I hope you'll also join in a lot and keep us up on how you're doing!

It's a really easy plan, and almost a no-fail concept.

Basically.....
1. Set your Up Day and Down Day calorie numbers correctly
2. Don't exceed your UD or DD calorie ceilings
3. Get skinny

Oh, and I should add.. eat and delight in any foods in this world that you want to relish, because you get to on every UD for the rest of your life!

Glad you're joining us!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco0633 View Post
I have been reading about JUDDD for past few days and I really seem to like the idea of it. My dilemma is that I am an all or nothing kind of guy. I like Atkins and it works for me but it is because it's a diet involving discipline. After 5 months on Atkins I went off for about the same amount of time.

I lost 31 lbs. on Atkins and gained 13 back over 5 months

I just can't stick to weight watchers this time as there are to many options and I seem to do better with a form of control when I diet.

I like the concept of JUDDD because you force the body to restrict but still get to eat normal.

So I may just end my LC run and give this an honest shot. I am going to go and buy the book tonight and read more about it.

I guess worst case I can just go back to Atkins if I don't get the results.

I look forward to learning about this WOE and having a solid place to get support.

Look forward to getting to know all of you in here
Welcome, bosco! So glad you've joined us.

Have you checked out the JUDDD website - johnsonupdaydowndaydiet is the website? It has a lot of info about the woe as well as a calculator that gets you started in figuring out your calories on UD and DD.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: addict1000
Stats: 201/190/150
WOE: LC-IF-JUDDD
Welcome!

I am an all or nothing girl! When I LC it is too lose weight fast and I was serious....When I was off...I was a serious glutton! LOL

What I like about this plan is that it forces me not to be all or nothing. Discipline is still there. I make sure to follow those calorie ceilings like they were written in stone....and for me I am not going to play around with the UD and DD schedule just for kicks...it better be for a dog gone good reason like Thanksgiving etc.

...but for those of us who are all or nothing the danger is when we are off plan. This plan is so easy to follow for someone who chooses to be dedicated....there is no need to feel like you have to go off plan...which is a life saver for someone like me.
addict1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jjMustang
Stats: 256.6/208/185
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Low Cal: 04/2009; Low Carb: 12/2010
I've done well on LC also, and I'm 10.5 lbs from 2nd goal (9.5 below 1st goal), but still 25 lbs from 3rd goal (which may or may not exist :-)).

My problem with LC is that my wife is not LC, so it makes our dinner schedules tough. I'm reading through Dr. Johnson's Alternate-Day Diet book, and at 25% of the way through, it's interesting in much the same way that Gary Taube's Why We Get Fat was interesting.

So to start JUDDDD, do you just pick a day to be your first DD and then go at it from there, or is there an induction period like a true Atkin's plan would have? If it's in the book, I'm not at that point yet, and I'm not starting JUDDDD until I finish the book.

Thanks.
June 2011: 220 lbs
October 27, 2011: 209 lbs and started JUDDD
November 13, 2011: 204 lbs
December 1, 2011: 201 lbs and gave up JUDDD.
Feb 17, 2012: 206 lbs and starting Low Carb again
jjMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjMustang View Post
I've done well on LC also, and I'm 10.5 lbs from 2nd goal (9.5 below 1st goal), but still 25 lbs from 3rd goal (which may or may not exist :-)).

My problem with LC is that my wife is not LC, so it makes our dinner schedules tough. I'm reading through Dr. Johnson's Alternate-Day Diet book, and at 25% of the way through, it's interesting in much the same way that Gary Taube's Why We Get Fat was interesting.

So to start JUDDDD, do you just pick a day to be your first DD and then go at it from there, or is there an induction period like a true Atkin's plan would have? If it's in the book, I'm not at that point yet, and I'm not starting JUDDDD until I finish the book.

Thanks.
I know you'll have many of your questions answered after you finish the book, and then you will read here and find many more answers, and many ways we have adapted the plan to work even better. (As far as we're concerned. LOL)

And as for starting, I'd do my first day as an Up Day, just because I'd want that good fueling to tide me through my next Down Day.

Read here for a million hints and suggestions as to how to make this work for you with the least hunger and the most success.

You're going to love it!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

I just picked up the book. My curiosity had peaked and I think that I will give this a go. I am suppose to do like 480 cal and 2400ish on UD.

I don't think that I ate 2000 cal. In a day I use to do 1300.

So my question is if I don't want to eat 2000 on an UD will that be an issue
Old 10-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #9

Quote:
I just picked up the book. My curiosity had peaked and I think that I will give this a go. I am suppose to do like 480 cal and 2400ish on UD.

I don't think that I ate 2000 cal. In a day I use to do 1300.

So my question is if I don't want to eat 2000 on an UD will that be an issue
Well.. maybe.

Here's the thing. It's about as important (or more so) to have a successful UD as it is to have a successful DD.

Number One. You will be eating so little on your DDs, that you will be doing a sort of *eating for two* thing on your UDs. Think of the nourishment your body will want and need, since it will be depending on mainly just those UDs for the majority of it's precious nutrients.

Remember, we are trying not just to lose weight, but to make our bodies better than ever so they won't fail us and bring us back here. Partly we can fail our bodies, but partly, our bodies can fail us too, and we want to get them in such good shape that they can run and operate at peak efficiency. So those calories on UDs are going to feeding your body's needs for two days.

Number Two. Most of us get pretty hungry on DDs if we don't have a good feeding the day before to tide us well into the next day. So having wonderful UDs can really help us be successful at adhering to our DD calorie ceilings.

Number Three. A persons metabolism is designed to slow down in times of decreased calorie intake. And Lord only knows that a mere 500 (or so) calories every other day is a big enough decrease to trigger this reactive slowdown of our metabolism. But if the metabolism slows down, it slows down the burning of not just our food intake calories, but also our fat.

And, most of us don't have the best metabolisms in the first place, else we wouldn't have got fat to begin with either. So we sure don't want our metabolism running any slower than it already is. We want to goad it to run faster even!

So if we eat at the upper end of our UD calorie numbers, that is a good stimulus for our metabolism to be stimulated to run at a decent rate, despite the previous day of very low calories.

If you eat low on UDs too, you are really signaling your brain that you have run into a time of famine.. food is obviously scarce.. time to slow the metabolism to conserve calories and fat.. time to prevent starvation. And that's as Mother Nature designed. But for many of us, our metabolism doesn't just spring back up as well as it should, and we manage to wreck the whole darned workings.

You can try holding your UD calories low too, but that's kind of scary to my way of thinking. Just my thoughts on the subject. But I wish you all the best good luck with JUDDD and your weight loss. I'll be cheering you on!
Old 10-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Hey Bosco and everybody! I am not new to a LC lifestlye but I have only been doing this WOE for a few weeks. I should say that I am not following the exact JUDDD but rather calorie and carb cycling more like the Zig Zag method (but it is very similar). I have a hard time eating all my UD calories too but I am working on it. I definitely need to do better about creating a bigger difference between my UD and DD calories.
artemis19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis19 View Post
Hey Bosco and everybody! I am not new to a LC lifestlye but I have only been doing this WOE for a few weeks. I should say that I am not following the exact JUDDD but rather calorie and carb cycling more like the Zig Zag method (but it is very similar). I have a hard time eating all my UD calories too but I am working on it. I definitely need to do better about creating a bigger difference between my UD and DD calories.
If you can, I think you will benefit from it.

Picture a nation of plump women on a diet, all holding their calories down in the vicinity of 1000 to 1300 calories per day. Pretty common.

Slowly but surely, the vast majority of them will experience their metabolism slowing down, down, down until they can hardly make another pound drop off. Their metabolisms pretty much slowed down to their calorie intake range, preserving their lives against the famine and starvation. But where do they go from there?

Drop their calories even lower?

Those diets where you lower your calories down and then hold them fairly much in a general low range seems to trigger this. Ask me how I know.

But for some reason, the great high/low spread utilized in JUDDD seems to prevent this mostly. For me, and for many others, pounding the calories up against that Up Day ceiling limit really seems to make the metabolism rev up some. Always a good thing.

Just my thoughts, but I hope that you can work a little bigger spread into your plan. I wish you great success with your weight loss, and with your body recovering health overall and a perky metabolism to help you remain slim in the future.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:45 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Well.......

I made it. My first DD and I feel terrible. I made it through Atkins induction this round without induction flu symptoms. Well doing the switch from Atkins to JUDDD brought back so many fond memories!!

I am feeling weak and up at 6am with a headache. I ate 480 cal yesterday and today I need to have a medium day to get on track for thursday and Saturday

Now a few more questions for you

Out of a 7 day week do most of you get 3 DD and 4 UD or 4 DD and 3 UD?? Book doesn't give you that info

Also I used 7 online calculators yesterday and I calculated based on where I want to weigh at the end of this. My count varied between 1700 and 2300. So the middle seems to be 2000. Does this sound ok?? 2000 and 500

Lastly please tell me this will get better and easier. I was not hungry one bit yesterday. But all the side effects kicked my ass!!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Well.......

I made it. My first DD and I feel terrible. I made it through Atkins induction this round without induction flu symptoms. Well doing the switch from Atkins to JUDDD brought back so many fond memories!!

I am feeling weak and up at 6am with a headache. I ate 480 cal yesterday and today I need to have a medium day to get on track for thursday and Saturday

Now a few more questions for you

Out of a 7 day week do most of you get 3 DD and 4 UD or 4 DD and 3 UD?? Book doesn't give you that info

Also I used 7 online calculators yesterday and I calculated based on where I want to weigh at the end of this. My count varied between 1700 and 2300. So the middle seems to be 2000. Does this sound ok?? 2000 and 500

Lastly please tell me this will get better and easier. I was not hungry one bit yesterday. But all the side effects kicked my ass!!!!
I don't mean to chuckle, but reading your post here was a lot like looking in a mirror for me! So much like me, except you were more successful! And yes, it most certainly does get better. It gets easier. It gets deliriously fun.

And now you get a MD, to get your days set up how you want them to fall this week, so make it a good one.. nourishing and filling.

You numbers of 500/2000 sounds like a good spread and a good place to start. You can always tweak it if needed, but starting in about the middle of given figures sounds reasonable.

As to your rotations, if you do a straight Up/Down rotation, each 7-day (odd number) week your rotation will alter. One week will end up 4 DDs & 3 UDs and the next week will end up with 3 DDs & 4 UDs. Then it starts in again with the next 14-day rotation.

If you want your weeks to come out evenly by the week, you insert a MD into each week (anywhere it works out best for you) and that gives you every week the same... 3 DDs & 1 MD & and 3 UDs. You can do it either way that works best for you, and they both work out to be the same thing as time goes by. Over time, it all averages out the same.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:07 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

well, I stepped on the scale started at 204.2 and today 199.2 WOW!!!!!!!

Now that was a DD so I will not hold to much stock into this yet, but if this keeps up I will be able to kill this WOE!!!!

Today I woke up, not hungry at all, surprising because last night, I had dreams that I robbed a candy factory. I was so hungry and restless in my sleep.

I am glad to strike a smile, there must be some humor in all of this or else 500 cal a day will be the death of me!!!!!

Ok so that makes sense, I will stick with the 14 day rotation for the first 2 weeks and see how that goes. I may only use a MD when I really need to, allowing me to switch days on the fly.

I logged into fit day, and started tracking my calories today.

Is there a way to manually add things on fit day and I am missing it???
Old 10-26-2011, 10:09 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:

Now that was a DD so I will not hold to much stock into this yet, but if this keeps up I will be able to kill this WOE!!!!

Today I woke up, not hungry at all, surprising because last night, I had dreams that I robbed a candy factory. I was so hungry and restless in my sleep.

I am glad to strike a smile, there must be some humor in all of this or else 500 cal a day will be the death of me!!!!!

Ok so that makes sense, I will stick with the 14 day rotation for the first 2 weeks and see how that goes. I may only use a MD when I really need to, allowing me to switch days on the fly.

WOW great loss!!

Seriously, the DDs get WAY easier...I am on day 8 now and have had 4 of them...and they got so much better after the first one!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #16
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allysmom24 View Post
welcome - I just started today myself for the exact same reasons that you stated.
and so nice to see you joining our wonderful JUDDD family!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis19 View Post
and look forward to your posts as a veteran JUDDDer!

Quote:

on board and WTG on your loss!! Can't help with the ****** ? but I'm sure someone will be along soon that can!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #17

Wow! Good job!

I will give out one little warning.. that seems to apply for most of us.. and it's to be on the lookout for, and expect to see, some really big fluctuations on your scale readouts each morning. I've never been on any plan that created more bounces up in weight and then down in weight, and often seemingly without rhyme nor reason. Hope this doesn't happen so much for you though.

Looks like you're off to a great start.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

figured out fit day. I can't add on my iPhone but can on the website. I am at 757 calories for the day so far. So I really don't need to count the fat and carbs?????

My protein so far is at about 40% of my consumption and fat and carbs are equaling the rest.

I figure that on an up day, I will go up in weight. However, if I continue to drop each DD then I will be happy
Old 10-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #19

Quote:
figured out fit day. I can't add on my iPhone but can on the website. I am at 757 calories for the day so far. So I really don't need to count the fat and carbs?????

My protein so far is at about 40% of my consumption and fat and carbs are equaling the rest.

I figure that on an up day, I will go up in weight. However, if I continue to drop each DD then I will be happy
You may or you may not. Many of us have been surprised to see we're down after an UD, and even up after a DD. Nothing points out the truth to us more than JUDDD... weight loss is simply not a straight linear happening, based exactly on what you did or did not swallow in the proceeding 24 hours.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

CONGRATS Bosco!! What a way to start out! That's a wonderful loss!
Old 10-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Ok so I just finished my dinner and I was at 1,168 calories for the day. I am doing a MD to switch my days around.

So I feel great my carbs for the day were a little high but the book says not to worry. I am making healthier choices but satisfied all around about my choices today.

Tomorrow I am going over to buffalo for the day and I plan on eating at the cheese cake factory. Can't wait!!!

Then off to the sabres game maybe some popcorn for a snack.

I feel good today just hope this high carries into Friday for another DD.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #22

Quote:
Ok so I just finished my dinner and I was at 1,168 calories for the day. I am doing a MD to switch my days around.

So I feel great my carbs for the day were a little high but the book says not to worry. I am making healthier choices but satisfied all around about my choices today.

Tomorrow I am going over to buffalo for the day and I plan on eating at the cheese cake factory. Can't wait!!!

Then off to the sabres game maybe some popcorn for a snack.

I feel good today just hope this high carries into Friday for another DD.
If you're eating at the Cheee cake Factory, look everything up online beforehand, and that will help you decide what to order on your UD. Everything there is so delish! I love it! But, high calories! LOL

Sounds like your MD went well. Have fun on your UD tomorrow, knowing that you earned the right to eating so well by putting in the hard work leading up to it... and knowing that you bought some weight loss with that DD and the MD.

And, then.. if the UD bounces you up a bit on the scale, don't worry about it. But just one question... Are you going to be ordering and eating higher carb stuff that you haven't been allowing into your diet up to this point? As in, will you be expecting water weight gain? Or no. I can't remember whether you came here from eating low carb before or not.

Anyway, have a fun day tomorrow!
Old 10-26-2011, 02:42 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Yeah I have my heart set on the crusted chicken Romano. I plan on some light snacks and then my meal but that will be my primary meal for the day.

Now about my diet I did LC for 6 months and then have been off for 5 months. I started back on Atkins last week but when I decided to go to JuDDD I ate whatever for 2 days. Then yesterday I went on a DD.

My body is over the LC for sure as I never really got back into it.

Getting sooo hungry now
Old 10-26-2011, 08:43 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
You're on your way

Quote:

Bosco - Congrats on your weight loss! I have started today and tomorrow is my 1st DD.

Glad you figured out the Create a Food on ******. I use that feature a lot! I also use the link "View your recent foods" for those times I am repeating the same foods I just ate recently. Saves a lot of time
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:54 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

I had to crack up at this! I'm sorry, I know you were suffering and it's not funny, but you have a way with words - just makes it so funny!

I am enjoying your enthusiasm too! I think you will "kill" this woe!
Old 10-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjMustang View Post

Thanks.
JJMustang, we'll look forward to you joining us! Congrats on your weight loss!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I don't count them anymore, just calories.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Ok so the first test on this WOE. My FEAR!!!!! would I treat this like I did on weight watchers. Having options is a scary thing, thats why I thought this WOE would be better for me. Knowing that I am on a diet makes me stick with it, the EOD eating creates that restriction to make me follow it.

Tonight after work, like many of those nights....... the guys decided to go out for a snack.....hold on let me start this again

It was a dark and scary night............

We went for wings and beer, but I am on a MD and day 2 and I wasn't that hungry and I know that tomorrow is going to be my UD. I went, 2 glasses of water for this guy no chicken wings or any food for that matter. I felt a little dumb, but I said to myself stick with the plan.... so I did.

I logged everything on fit day and I hit my goal, I feel better today. I am a tad hungry now though but think that I should just put myself to sleep to forget about FOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!

Calories only you say!!! the blinders are on, my brain is telling me your wrong while my stomach is saying SHUT THE FRONT DOOR, listen to what they are saying.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:49 AM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Ok so the first test on this WOE. My FEAR!!!!! would I treat this like I did on weight watchers. Having options is a scary thing, thats why I thought this WOE would be better for me. Knowing that I am on a diet makes me stick with it, the EOD eating creates that restriction to make me follow it. Tonight after work, like many of those nights....... the guys decided to go out for a snack.....hold on let me start this again

It was a dark and scary night............

We went for wings and beer, but I am on a MD and day 2 and I wasn't that hungry and I know that tomorrow is going to be my UD. I went, 2 glasses of water for this guy no chicken wings or any food for that matter. I felt a little dumb, but I said to myself stick with the plan.... so I did. I logged everything on fit day and I hit my goal, I feel better today. I am a tad hungry now though but think that I should just put myself to sleep to forget about FOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!! Calories only you say!!! the blinders are on, my brain is telling me your wrong while my stomach is saying SHUT THE FRONT DOOR, listen to what they are saying.

You crack me up. This sense of humor is great for my 1st down day.

Yesterday on my 1st UD, it took me an hour to decide which restaurant to go to for lunch and what to eat. I felt like a kid in a candy store. Choices of food I've been depriving myself of for years! Like you on your first DD, my balloon will soon be deflated if I am starving later today. I may need a sleeping pill.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday was great!!!!!

I ordered the lunch size crusted chicken romano, no booze!!!!!
hockey game popcorn and diet coke, and bowl of cereal for breakfast

I went to bed and woke up feeling good for my 2nd DD. Just finished a 240 cal shake for lunch and I feel good.

My scale tomorrow will be the true test of this WOE for me. If I got to eat what I did yesterday and still lose weight or even just didn't gain, I will be very pleased!!!!!!!!!

Good times