Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 07:31 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: putthekettleon
How Many of You Are Still Using Glucomannan for Down Days?

I've been faithfully taking psyllium for hunger and cholesterol issues, but after googling a bunch of studies about glucomannan late last night, I've read it's just as effective, and even more so for weight loss.

Yesterday I had a tsp. of gluco in some diet juice and couldn't believe how full I felt.

I'm wondering if you guys are still using this stuff to get through your down days? I'm thinking of just chucking the psyllium and focusing on glucomannan to get me through hunger.

Does it still work for you to consistently control hunger? Thanks.
putthekettleon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
I use it. In fact, two minutes ago I blended 2 teaspoons of the stuff into 2 cups of a ZERO calorie mango/orange/tropical beverage drink and have that in the refrigerator to thicken and chill. I'll eat some of this delicious gel with a spoon later. Very filling, on zero calories! Wow.

I couldn't make my sweet and spicy-hot General Tso's sauce without the glucomannan to thicken it to the consistency I adore, and I use that over low-cal stir fry often.

I've never had psyllium in my life.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Oh yes...a gluc devotee here!

Like sohappy, I have just made an apple "jelly"...1 sachet 0 cal apple drink mix, 1tsp gluc, and a dash walden farms 0 cal caramel syrup....add a cup of water..shake well..and you have a delicious 0 cal filling jelly!

Also, a scoop of choc protein powder, a T cocoa and a tsp gluc mixed with water and ice makes a creamy thick shake....or use a bit less water, and you have a creamy chocolate pudding!

I make the above two items the night before a DD..pop n the fridge, and they are chilled and set ready for when the DD hungry monster strikes!

On a cold day, I love to take 1/2 cup soya milk, 1/4 cup of stewed rhubarb (or tinned pumpkin), a tsp gluc, sweetner and cinnamon - pop in a little saucepan, and stir till hot and creamy...real comfort food!

It also improves the texture of anything you make with oat fiber!

If I had to choose just one ingredient for every DD...it would be glucomannan!

Just wish it wasn't so bloomin' expensive!

hugs
Jo
x

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"

Last edited by Joedi; 10-24-2011 at 08:44 AM..
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedi View Post
..........If I had to choose just one ingredient for every DD...it would be glucomannan!

Just wish it wasn't so bloomin' expensive!..........
But just think of it this way, Jo. It isn't really as expensive as all that food would be that you'd be eating on DDs instead.

You're saving all that food by not eating on DDs, so that a lot less grocery money that has to be spent, so there's the savings to pay for the gluc powder right there, and probably a whole lot more $$ that you saved and can put in the piggy bank!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:27 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: putthekettleon
Pat and Jo, thank you so much!!!

Your ideas sound wonderful. I can't thank you enough - I've decided gluco is definitely the way to go. In fact I did a search on amazon and ordered a book called Hunger Free Forever, which is all about using PGX fiber, which apparently is "sister" to glucomannan (it's made from it).

Question though...I stirred 1 tsp. gluco very slowly into a little juice before stirring into the rest of the juice. It still clumped a bit. Should I be using a blender? Is that how you're getting such fabulous shakes, puddings, etc?

Any advice would be appreciated. Maybe it's time to dust off the blender???

That gluco certainly worked much better than psyllium, but it sure did clump.

Sheryl
putthekettleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:39 AM   #6

I sprinkle the powder somewhat slowly into the liquid and whip with the whisk at the same time if it's something I'm making on the stove, or if it's something in my old blender, I sprinkle while the blender is going.

But.. I just found out about screwing a canning jar into the blender attachment instead of using the blender pitcher/jar, so this morning I just added the powder in two spoonsful into the fluid and then blended the heck out of the stuff. No clumps that way either.

I think it's a lot like learning how to make your gravy be smooth instead of having lumps in it. Once you've mastered the techniques, you're producing smooth sauces, puddings, and gravy.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

I normally mix all the dry ingredients first in a locking lid tub, add the liquid , quickly pop on the lids and shake the heck out of it!
It clumps less if the liquid is cold... So I mix first, then heat, if making a hot item!

Or, like pat says, Whisk while mixing! If it is a little lumpy, an immersion blender usually sorts everything out quickly!

Hugs
Jo
X
Old 10-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Here is a link for you, putthekettleon... all our gluc recipes!
Happy cooking!

Glucomannan Recipes

Jo
X
Old 10-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
Wow I didn't know the benefits of gluc:
GLUCOMANNAN: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD

Quote:
Glucomannan can decrease blood sugar in people with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes medications are also used to lower blood sugar. Taking glucomannan along with diabetes medications might cause your blood sugar to go too low. Monitor your blood sugar closely. The dose of your diabetes medication might need to be changed.
I'm not diabetic, but it's always nice to see a natural (possible) alternative to pharmacutical medications.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Mine is in capsule form. I originally bought it almost two years ago in preparation for dieting to help with hunger pangs, but then realized I wasn't excessively hungry on Atkins so didn't really use it for that. Then I discovered it's a great thickener, so I generally use it for that. Today is a down day, and still a couple hours from dinner, so I popped one to help me get through the afternoon. It does help with the hunger because it expands in the stomach and makes it think there's something in there.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Wow I didn't know the benefits of gluc:
GLUCOMANNAN: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD

I'm not diabetic, but it's always nice to see a natural (possible) alternative to pharmacutical medications.
Interesting article dottie, thanks!
It also pointed out that gluc can reduce the absorption of oral medications, so best to take meds and vitamins an hour or so before having any gluc tablets or recipes!

Hugs
Jo
X