Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Speck333
WOE: Semi-Primal
Likely food poisoning

Today has been interesting. I think I've got food poisoning. Salmonella. From raw eggs. I consume raw eggs 5 days a week. I knew my number would come up eventually. I had my shake yesterday morning about 7am, and by late yesterday afternoon... well, you know.
I've been suffering non-stop since. Finally took some medicine to stop it a couple hours ago. Still uncomfortable. Trying to keep fluids coming in. I'm so tired right now. Some up day... at least tomorrow is a medium day. If it were a down day, I think it would kill me.
Anyhow, I'm expecting some unusual readings on the scale tomorrow because of today.
Going to start pasteurizing my eggs from now on.
Speck333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck333 View Post
Today has been interesting. I think I've got food poisoning. Salmonella. From raw eggs. I consume raw eggs 5 days a week. I knew my number would come up eventually. I had my shake yesterday morning about 7am, and by late yesterday afternoon... well, you know.
I've been suffering non-stop since. Finally took some medicine to stop it a couple hours ago. Still uncomfortable. Trying to keep fluids coming in. I'm so tired right now. Some up day... at least tomorrow is a medium day. If it were a down day, I think it would kill me.
Anyhow, I'm expecting some unusual readings on the scale tomorrow because of today.
OMG! I am so sorry to hear about this. I know you must be feeling miserable. Hope this doesn't last long. I mean, how empty can a person get? Not the way you want to lose any scale weight!

I've read that the salmonella can simply be inside the hen, living in her quite happily, and she in apparent great good health and laying beautiful eggs, all contaminated with salmonella, and nobody the wiser. Unless somebody eats them raw. Or badly undercooked.

Hope this runs its course quickly and you're feeling a whole lot better tomorrow!
Old 10-22-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Quote:
Oh, you poor thing! Hope you are feeling much better by tomorrow. Stick to gentle foods like oatmeal... It is very good for regulating an upset system!

Oh, and try dried egg powder... Very convenient.... and no nasties lurking, either!

Hugs
Jo
X
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
I've had food poisoning more than once in the past and it's nothing you ever wanna experience again! Just wanted to say sorry you're sick, Speck, and hope you feel better asap!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks gals. Dinner's in, so far so good. Skipped the jalapeno burgers and opted for regular ones.
I've heard that about the hens, too, Pat. Jo, I'm going to look into the powdered eggs. Sophie, I've had it worse than this, but this still sucks. I'm feeling a bit better now. Just keep fingers crossed it will stay this way.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:24 PM   #6

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/137.7/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
The last time I got food poisoning it was from the wing sauce at a local restaurant. Really Horrible experience. Nothing is safe!

A hen can be a healthy bird and carrier of Salmonella, but the pathogen will normally be only on the outside of the eggshell. Only if a hen's ovaries are compromised does the salmonella contaminate the egg contents itself before the shell forms, but a bird will have shown serious signs of illness well before it gets that sick. So salmonella very rarely contaminates the inside contents of raw eggs, unless it's owners fully ignore the health of the birds. Pasteurizing the shell so that the outside doesn't contact the egg contents with (potential) live salmonella makes raw eggs safe to eat.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: emky
Stats: CW:144 GW:130
WOE: Atkins + Shangri-la
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:
I consume raw eggs 5 days a week.
Ooh, be careful! I had a severe biotin deficiency last winter from doing that (eating raw egg whites most days for several months). It can be fatal, so if you're having any weird symptoms please cut back asap!

From Wikipedia:

Symptoms

Initial symptoms of biotin deficiency include:

1. Dry skin
2. Seborrheic dermatitis
3. Fungal infections
4. Rashes including red, patchy ones near the mouth (erythematous periorofacial macular rash)
5. Fine and brittle hair
6. Hair loss or total baldness (alopecia)

If left untreated, neurological symptoms can develop, including:

1. Mild depression, which may progress to profound lassitude and, eventually, to somnolence
2. Changes in mental status
3. Generalized muscular pains (myalgias)
4. Hyperesthesias and paresthesias
----------------------
I personally experienced significant hair loss, depression/weird "mental status", muscle pain, and I had an irregular heartbeat.
emky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:19 PM   #8

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/137.7/125; 5'1"
WOE: HCG Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG 07/2014
good point emky. I prefer the yolks in my shakes personally. Save the whites for oopsies and meringue cookies.
metqa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:24 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Please be careful, and go see the Dr. if you are not improving tomorrow! I had a foodborne illness resembles salmonella (Campylobacter-a bacteria that is found even more often than salmonella in chicken). It was the most miserable 2.5 weeks of my life and put me in the hospital. So please, if you aren't feeling better soon, make sure you see the doc!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:28 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/138.6/?
WOE: lc
Hope you are feeling better.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks everyone, I did it to myself, so...
But I feel better, I think. It's still early here, and I just got up a little bit ago, so I'm not entirely sure yet. I know when to take it to the doctor, and when to let it run it's course. This is the latter.
Emky, thank you for the information and I'm so terribly sorry you were ill last year . I have heard about that biotin deficiency being caused by consuming raw eggs so I did ask around and do some research. There seems to be a lack of agreement about it, and many suggest that it's only if you eat the raw egg whites by themselves, as in, without the yolks. I eat the whole egg, 2 a day Mon-Thurs, and sometimes Friday, too. I've been doing this for months. No weird symptoms. Though it is something I keep in mind.
All things considered, I'm probably going to switch to protein powder shakes, at least half the time, and definitely pasteurize my eggs first.

So, I originally posted this thread to account for any unusual scale activity I might see today. I figured I'd either drop a crazy amount, or gain from water retention. And it is the latter. So I'm up to 149.2 this morning. A gain of 1.2 from all the fluid pushing I did yesterday and my body being confused about whether to keep it or let it go. Even my hands feel puffy.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muffin_maiden
Stats: Doesn't matter/its a number/healthy
WOE: LC
Start Date: November 2011
Here is a great site that teaches you how to pasteurize eggs if you want to eat them raw: How To Make Pasteurized Eggs (Cooking With Raw Eggs) < Cooking Help

It should get rid of any salmonella lurking in/outside your eggs and make it safe for you to continue eating them raw.
muffin_maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffin_maiden View Post
Here is a great site that teaches you how to pasteurize eggs if you want to eat them raw: How To Make Pasteurized Eggs (Cooking With Raw Eggs) < Cooking Help

It should get rid of any salmonella lurking in/outside your eggs and make it safe for you to continue eating them raw.
Thank you kindly!
Old 10-23-2011, 10:40 AM   #14
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Hope you are feeling better!!!!
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote