Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member
 
Erikasmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Oh
Posts: 57
Gallery: Erikasmommy
Stats: 179/168/145
WOE: Juddd- just starting
Start Date: Started Juddd 10/20/11
Help me understand- Up days

Ok, I'm totally confused! On up days am I supposed to only eat to the calorie number it gives me on the Juddd website or am I supposed to eat as much as I need to keep from feeling hungry (per the book)? I tried to stay at the 1872 that the website gave me, but I was still hungry so I ended up eating closer to 2000. Help!
Erikasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,912
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikasmommy View Post
Ok, I'm totally confused! On up days am I supposed to only eat to the calorie number it gives me on the Juddd website or am I supposed to eat as much as I need to keep from feeling hungry (per the book)? I tried to stay at the 1872 that the website gave me, but I was still hungry so I ended up eating closer to 2000. Help!
OK. First of all, don't worry over this because we'll get it all figured out, and in a way that eases you into it successfully and has you eating well on your UDs and losing weight from doing successful DDs. And that's really a fun place to get to!

May I ask you what is your current weight, height, age, and exercise level. And as to that exercise level, are you really doing it at a good sweaty level?

Let me do some figuring to make me feel pretty confident about calorie numbers for you.

Oh, and have you ever done a very low calorie plan before, such as the 500 calorie plans here, or any of the 800 calorie plans, etc?
__________________
Best wishes, Pat
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member
 
Erikasmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Oh
Posts: 57
Gallery: Erikasmommy
Stats: 179/168/145
WOE: Juddd- just starting
Start Date: Started Juddd 10/20/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
OK. First of all, don't worry over this because we'll get it all figured out, and in a way that eases you into it successfully and has you eating well on your UDs and losing weight from doing successful DDs. And that's really a fun place to get to!

May I ask you what is your current weight, height, age, and exercise level. And as to that exercise level, are you really doing it at a good sweaty level?

Let me do some figuring to make me feel pretty confident about calorie numbers for you.

Oh, and have you ever done a very low calorie plan before, such as the 500 calorie plans here, or any of the 800 calorie plans, etc?
Oh, good!! Nothing I love more than having someone else figure it out for me lol
I am 5'6 and was 174 yesterday morning. No exercise to speak of other than Zumba on Monday nights. I am 34 years old. Haven't restricted my calories since I was probably 20ish? So, like 14 years ago. I lost a lot of weight then by hardly eating and I would say I was probably close to 600-700 a day back then. I lost about 40 lbs doing Atkins back in 2005 but I have a really hard time sticking to that low of a carb level and I gain it back the minute I start to add carbs. I tried weight watchers after the birth of my second child in 08, and was mildly successful with that but was ALWAYS starving! Ok, I know it's more info than you asked for... Thanks for helping me!
Erikasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,912
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
OK.. back again.

It looks like you are about right on your Up Day calorie number. Using different calculators, your stats always came back from about 1800 calories to just over 1850 calories, so let's say you need to stay at 1850 calories for your UDs.

Now, *The Book* is a little ambiguous about eating on our Up Days. It seems to indicate both that we can eat however much we want to, and elsewhere it indicates that we are given the UD calorie number for a reason and need to eat at that level.

Here's something to consider about that. There are other diet sites all over the internet, and there are other places where folks do JUDDD, and some of those places they don't adhere to UD calories at all. They just eat however much they want on UDs and then just hold to their DD calories.

And I've read at these places long enough to know that they aren't nearly as successful doing it that way as we are here, holding our Up Day calories to specific numbers that are individually figured for us.. for what we need.. for where we need to be eating.

So, if this calorie figure is where you need to stay, your limit, the next logical step will be to find luscious and delicious and filling foods and meals and whole menus that will make you feel completely full and satisfied while staying within your calories. Sometimes that means cutting back a smidge on some of the fat we've been used to eating on low carb plans. And I'm not even talking about cutting out much fat at all, 'cause it's exceedingly necessary to a good diet and to good health.

I really do think you will be most advised to track the foods you choose to eat on one of the tracking programs, like ****** (except I understand there are better programs out there now) because I think it will be a good thing for you to see exactly where your calories are coming from. When you see which foods are the ones that are really costing you a lot of your precious calories, sometimes you find it real easy to cut down on quite the amount of that food as you were eating before. Sometimes it's as easy as using 3 tablespoons of salad dressing instead of 4. Etc.

The other thing is this: It really doesn't take very long before your brain and your tummy both get used to eating at your best calorie level. Sometimes the reason we ended up at a site like Low Carb Friends in the first place is.. we got in the habit of eating too much, more than we needed, and couldn't prevent weight gain. But most often, all it takes is getting into a new more healthful habit of eating a bit less.

So try that, and if you don't go over your Up Day calories very often, you will undoubtedly be *golden*.

- - - - -

Then, you can decide for yourself at about what percentage of that UD number you want to hold your Down Days to. You could hold to 20%.. which gives you 370 calories for DDs. Great weight loss rate, but needless to say.. very few of us choose that loss level. That's awfully close to a full-on fast!

You might prefer to do your weight loss at the 35% level, which gives you 650 calorie DDs. Weight loss isn't quite so fast, but it's easier to stick with.

Once again, however.. the book tells us to start out for the first two weeks at Down Days of no more than 500 calories on those days. Some people can do that easily enough. Others struggle with hunger to the point that they lose their willpower and give in and eat too much.

Do the best you can. If you don't think you can stick to 500 calories to start with, start at your 650 calorie level. Or 700 calories, which is what Beeb started at, and about how I started too.

But work your DD calories down as well as you can and as soon as you're able, because those Down Days are your weight loss days, and the more calories you eat on them, the slower your rate of weight loss will be.

Good luck with this, and keep asking questions as you go along until you're an old hand at this. And if you DO IT, I can tell you this: You'll need to go shop for new little sizes to fill your closet!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member
 
Erikasmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Oh
Posts: 57
Gallery: Erikasmommy
Stats: 179/168/145
WOE: Juddd- just starting
Start Date: Started Juddd 10/20/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
OK.. back again.

It looks like you are about right on your Up Day calorie number. Using different calculators, your stats always came back from about 1800 calories to just over 1850 calories, so let's say you need to stay at 1850 calories for your UDs.

Now, *The Book* is a little ambiguous about eating on our Up Days. It seems to indicate both that we can eat however much we want to, and elsewhere it indicates that we are given the UD calorie number for a reason and need to eat at that level.

Here's something to consider about that. There are other diet sites all over the internet, and there are other places where folks do JUDDD, and some of those places they don't adhere to UD calories at all. They just eat however much they want on UDs and then just hold to their DD calories.

And I've read at these places long enough to know that they aren't nearly as successful doing it that way as we are here, holding our Up Day calories to specific numbers that are individually figured for us.. for what we need.. for where we need to be eating.

So, if this calorie figure is where you need to stay, your limit, the next logical step will be to find luscious and delicious and filling foods and meals and whole menus that will make you feel completely full and satisfied while staying within your calories. Sometimes that means cutting back a smidge on some of the fat we've been used to eating on low carb plans. And I'm not even talking about cutting out much fat at all, 'cause it's exceedingly necessary to a good diet and to good health.

I really do think you will be most advised to track the foods you choose to eat on one of the tracking programs, like ****** (except I understand there are better programs out there now) because I think it will be a good thing for you to see exactly where your calories are coming from. When you see which foods are the ones that are really costing you a lot of your precious calories, sometimes you find it real easy to cut down on quite the amount of that food as you were eating before. Sometimes it's as easy as using 3 tablespoons of salad dressing instead of 4. Etc.

The other thing is this: It really doesn't take very long before your brain and your tummy both get used to eating at your best calorie level. Sometimes the reason we ended up at a site like Low Carb Friends in the first place is.. we got in the habit of eating too much, more than we needed, and couldn't prevent weight gain. But most often, all it takes is getting into a new more healthful habit of eating a bit less.

So try that, and if you don't go over your Up Day calories very often, you will undoubtedly be *golden*.

- - - - -

Then, you can decide for yourself at about what percentage of that UD number you want to hold your Down Days to. You could hold to 20%.. which gives you 370 calories for DDs. Great weight loss rate, but needless to say.. very few of us choose that loss level. That's awfully close to a full-on fast!

You might prefer to do your weight loss at the 35% level, which gives you 650 calorie DDs. Weight loss isn't quite so fast, but it's easier to stick with.

Once again, however.. the book tells us to start out for the first two weeks at Down Days of no more than 500 calories on those days. Some people can do that easily enough. Others struggle with hunger to the point that they lose their willpower and give in and eat too much.

Do the best you can. If you don't think you can stick to 500 calories to start with, start at your 650 calorie level. Or 700 calories, which is what Beeb started at, and about how I started too.

But work your DD calories down as well as you can and as soon as you're able, because those Down Days are your weight loss days, and the more calories you eat on them, the slower your rate of weight loss will be.

Good luck with this, and keep asking questions as you go along until you're an old hand at this. And if you DO IT, I can tell you this: You'll need to go shop for new little sizes to fill your closet!
I really appreciate you taking the time to type all that out for me!! I think you are right and I will do it that way going forward. I actually had a decent DD yesterday.. I still didn't manage 500 calories, but I did better than my first DD and ended up at 660
Today I am going to do my best to stick with 1850..I think I may be struggling a bit more with hunger right now because my TOM is due tomorrow and I am always ravenous in the days leading up to that.
I am also wondering if maybe I should try to keep the carbs to a minimum.. I like the idea of adding some back but I already KNOW they make me hungrier. Maybe I should take a South beach-ish approach instead of truly eating whatever sounds good to me.
Erikasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,912
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikasmommy View Post
I really appreciate you taking the time to type all that out for me!! I think you are right and I will do it that way going forward. I actually had a decent DD yesterday.. I still didn't manage 500 calories, but I did better than my first DD and ended up at 660
Today I am going to do my best to stick with 1850..I think I may be struggling a bit more with hunger right now because my TOM is due tomorrow and I am always ravenous in the days leading up to that.
I am also wondering if maybe I should try to keep the carbs to a minimum.. I like the idea of adding some back but I already KNOW they make me hungrier. Maybe I should take a South beach-ish approach instead of truly eating whatever sounds good to me.
Yeah... *the carbs* is something many of us seem to rush to incorporate back into our diets, simply because we know that JUDDD doesn't have any list of foods, even of NO-NO foods. So they're not forbidden.

And certainly many of us fully hope for and plan to incorporate many carbs in our maintenance as Dr. Atkins also hoped for us. When you read his maintenance menus (and even before that final level) in his Atkins for Life book, you see *a slice of whole wheat bread* included in a breakfast menu, you see *a whole wheat dinner roll* included in a luncheon menu, *a small white potato* included in a dinner menu.

Our problem is usually a lot more when we race to include *half a pizza* or *a double-dip chocolate ice cream* or *a cheeseburger on bun w/large french fries*... In other words, yeah.. we want to be able to have some of those foods in our lives. Geez. We're hoping to have some of that fun still, with those fun foods. But we have to be careful to not go overboard too much, too often.

So I bet you'll be fine if you just scale back a bit on the carbs that you want to add back in, if any, and remember that as you do, you're going to be required to accept back some water weight gain with the carbs.

(I expect half my body weight is water weight sloshing around in there from the carbs I eat! LOL) (But I log it all in, and I worked up to it, and I accept the water weight as a part of me and don't fret it at all. And I feel really happy and vibrant at the carb level I eat at now.) Just don't rush into it, is my advice.

I think you are going to do wonderfully well with JUDDD and be a very happy lady as you lose weight and enjoy a larger variety of foods on those UDs.

I'll be looking forward to your posts here. And do a lot of reading here too. We all help each other and learn from each other. Glad you're with us here!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:36 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.