Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
pretty sure I figured out my stall/slight gain back this week & how to fix it!! :)

After having such a great start with JUDDD last week, and then my loss petering out on me this week, I knew I had to take a hard look at things. Of course I know losses can come fast at first and slow down, but I knew I'd messed up by eating too many calories.

It didn't take but a glance through my totals on ****** to see it there in black and white. I had thought I could get by with more calories than the JUDDD calculator gave me, but it's not happening. The calculator was probably being generous anyway to someone who is sedentary like me It gave me 1,704 calories for UD and a DD of about 600 calories. I seem to be able to eat 1,800 calorie UD and still lose. Of course, being me, I had to push the envelope and see what I could get by with!

After doing some writing down and figuring a few minutes ago, I see that my losses came when my total calories for any 2 days of JUDDD were at 1,200 or less. Up to 1,300 seems to allow a gain.

I wasn't doing myself any favors apparently by keeping DD calories at or below 500 just to overeat on UD!!!

For example, when I started my first DD on a Wed. with 743 calories, then the UD Thurs. was 1651, that averaged to 1,197 for the 2 days. By the 3rd day, Friday, a DD, I was showing a pound less on the scale (my scales just do round numbers).

If you average the Thurs. of 1,651 calories with Fri (DD) of 593, you get 1,122. And the next day, Sat. I was down another pound.

And on it went (went down to 147#) until Monday at the Chinese buffet when I probably had over 2,000 calories. I went up in water weight which didn't come down until Thursday, and then I was still left with a pound or two that I'd previously lost. The averages for all the days from Mon to Thurs. were in the 1,300 calories.

So in that 1,300+ average of calories over the days this week, I did lose the water weight but wound up a pound heavier at 148, then went up to 149.

This tells me I need to keep my average calories over 2 days around 1,200 at the highest to lose weight. It would look like an UD of 1,800 calories and a DD on either side of it at 600, give or take a few calories on either day.

I will now proceed to eat this way, and see if I start to lose again. *rubs hands together* an experiment!

I do have a question or two though. I'm going to look it up in the JUDDD book, but if someone knows offhand, feel free to jump in ....

Does anyone remember whether the DD calories must be kept at 500 for the first 2 weeks to turn on the SIRT1 gene?

And going a little higher after that will maintain the gene? Because I will always keep DD at 500 f it means the calorie restriction/health benefits part of things works properly.

If it doesn't matter, I will go up a little higher on DD if my UD calories around it are OK for that.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 10-22-2011 at 03:58 PM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
..........Does anyone remember whether the DD calories must be kept at 500 for the first 2 weeks to turn on the SIRT1 gene?

And going a little higher after that will maintain the gene? Because I will always keep DD at 500 f it means the calorie restriction/health benefits part of things works properly..........
Supposedly. No higher than 500 calories for DDs for two weeks to turn on the gene. But, see... I am always the skeptic. What would happen if you took in 502 calories? How about 510? Would 511 calories ruin it all? And who decided it had to be 500 calories in the first place? So... 600 calories won't work?

And it gets even more disappointing and questionable than that. If it disappoints you at all. Apparently there is a whole lot more going on than just that SIRT1 gene, and a whole lot more that has to come into play, so just *awakening* that gene doesn't do all that much by itself, or even get *awakened* by holding to low cals one day and snarfing plenty the next. Newer studies than what Dr. Johnson (a plastic surgeon) based his little book on show that, of course, it's far more complex than stated, and that his magic elixir, resveratrol, doesn't do much if you aren't a flatworm.

Which brings us back to the basics of calorie cycling, and it's absolute value for promoting weight loss, which it certainly does, and promoting better health, which study after study has shown it to do. That enough for me, regardless of whether my SIRT1 gene ever turns on or not. For true length of life benefits as shown in other species in the studies, you don't get as nice and full Up Days as we take here, and frankly, I'm not too worried about it. LOL I'd rather enjoy the full UDs and live a bit shorter life. Rather than more severe calorie restriction, on all my days.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Supposedly. No higher than 500 calories for DDs for two weeks to turn on the gene. But, see... I am always the skeptic. What would happen if you took in 502 calories? How about 510? Would 511 calories ruin it all? And who decided it had to be 500 calories in the first place? So... 600 calories won't work?
I see what you're saying, and I'm definitely going to have to look for this in the book again because I forget how he even arrived at that number of 500 calories....

Quote:
And it gets even more disappointing and questionable than that. If it disappoints you at all. Apparently there is a whole lot more going on than just that SIRT1 gene, and a whole lot more that has to come into play, so just *awakening* that gene doesn't do all that much by itself, or even get *awakened* by holding to low cals one day and snarfing plenty the next. Newer studies than what Dr. Johnson (a plastic surgeon) based his little book on show that, of course, it's far more complex than stated,
Yes, it is a very complicated thing, much more than one gene's role. I'm glad they continue to do studies because it's an area with so much to find out. I don't think they yet know how it works/why/ and if it works the same in our species and even differs with men and women...

Quote:
and that his magic elixir, resveratrol, doesn't do much if you aren't a flatworm.
And I'd rather get mine from a glass or two of wine on my UD than pop another pill anyway!
Old 10-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Mainly, I'm just happy I figured out how many calories I can really have, because I was unsure from the start, with the JUDDD calculator saying one thing and other calculators giving me results above or below that.

I knew that I was probably pushing it a little far (especially with three UDs this week being 2000 - 2500 or so each!!)

If things go according to plan, I might have a loss to report by Tues. morning!!
Old 10-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Those numbers sound good to me! We are similar heights, and I weighed the same as you do when starting juddd....and had similar numbers too!
I found they worked well for me...fingers crossed they do for you to!
Will be watching out for a happy post on Tuesday!

Hugs
Jo
X
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #6

I know you will get your calorie numbers tweaked to give you good weight loss very shortly. If you hold your DD calorie number the same every DD, it isn't long before you've zeroed right in on the UD calorie number that gives you weight LOSS nicely.

Then at that point, it's just a matter of *doing it* until you are as slim as you want to be, and then you go through the process of tweaking back up to no more weight loss occurring. That sounds simple enough, doesn't it.

Except that Beeb had revved her metabolism up where she really had to add in quite a few more calories than supposed before she could get her weight loss stopped! LOL Man! Talk about rubbing it in our faces!
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Re-reading my post at the top, I see it might be confusing. I just wanted to clarify it here in case anyone was interested in what I was doing and may need to tweak their own numbers sometime...

When I say my calories must be 1,200 for 2 days, I mean that's what the 2 days average out to when you add the calories up for 2 days and divide the total by 2.

What I can actually eat is 1,800 calories on UD and 600 calories on DD.

Also, I didn't mean I was eating 500 calories on DD just so I could try to eat too much on UD and still lose I meant it will do me no good to sacrifice to keep my DD calories low if I'm going to sabotage my weight loss and not lose (and even gain!). That's too painful to think about!
Old 10-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedi View Post
Those numbers sound good to me! We are similar heights, and I weighed the same as you do when starting juddd....and had similar numbers too!
I found they worked well for me...fingers crossed they do for you to!
Will be watching out for a happy post on Tuesday!

Hugs
Jo
X
Thanks! I'm optimistic I'll have a loss to report
Old 10-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I know you will get your calorie numbers tweaked to give you good weight loss very shortly. If you hold your DD calorie number the same every DD, it isn't long before you've zeroed right in on the UD calorie number that gives you weight LOSS nicely.

Then at that point, it's just a matter of *doing it* until you are as slim as you want to be, and then you go through the process of tweaking back up to no more weight loss occurring. That sounds simple enough, doesn't it.

Except that Beeb had revved her metabolism up where she really had to add in quite a few more calories than supposed before she could get her weight loss stopped! LOL Man! Talk about rubbing it in our faces!
Yes, we should all have such "problems" as having to add more calories to stop weight loss Good for you, Beeb, if you happen to read this!
Old 10-23-2011, 04:13 AM   #10
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
I'm new to JUDDD, but to paraphrase the book, fasting is optimal on down days but that's not really something most people are willing to do. He seems to have come up with 500 calories as a compromise of sorts to keep the calories low, but still allow enough food to keep people on track. Unless I'm misreading it.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:52 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: betty301
1800 on an UD is a pretty good number IMO.

That way if you stall you have some wiggle room ..
betty301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I'm new to JUDDD, but to paraphrase the book, fasting is optimal on down days but that's not really something most people are willing to do. He seems to have come up with 500 calories as a compromise of sorts to keep the calories low, but still allow enough food to keep people on track. Unless I'm misreading it.
Right. I think it's a lot like the *200* number for cholesterol. ..."Pick a number. Any number"...

It's why the folks here who start off doing their DDs at 700 calories have about as quick success as those who can handle the 500 calories right from the start, and are more liable to stick with the program.

Now when it comes to awakening the dormant or sluggish SIRT1 gene... that's where I don't know whether the added calories tend to repress its expression or not. But while he refers to the gene as the "skinny gene", I read about it in reference to length-of-life / life extension studies, but really don't find it referenced in weight loss studies much. In his book, he seemed to give it a big nod for helping with weight loss, but I think they are now leaning toward these genes (among others) far more in influencing cellular protection and aging studies. But maybe I've just missed seeing metabolic studies that are mentioning this SIRT1 gene much.

Dr. Johnson's Alternate Day Diet was based on studies/a study done already a decade ago, so we're learning more every year on the subject, always a good and exciting thing! Pinning all hope on the single gene, SIRT1, was a little bit misplaced as they found more and more genes also doing *the job* along those lines. Current thought is that there are many genes involved with all of this, and they work in conjunction with each other, expressing in many way, etc.

So, basically, I think what this means for us is.. Don't get too hung up on that *500* number.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:57 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
I have to say I think you are right on the money, and looking at my own experience, I totally agree. I have totally messed up quite a few Up Days (and have now given up breakfast on those days!). I topped out at 2800 calories yesterday. Just that hungry!

Here's my calories for each week, and gain/loss numbers from Saturday to Saturday:
11770 0.8
12110 -1.6
9750 3
9600 1.8
11170 -2.2
9600 1.4

It looks clear when I keep weekly totals under 10000, there's a nice loss. Over 11000, clear gains. And since I have my down days pretty well under control, also around 600 calories just like you, I have to really keep up days better.
2012 lowish Optimal calories, June25th 132.6/124.6/110
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
Thanks, Dottie!
Old 10-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betty301 View Post
1800 on an UD is a pretty good number IMO.

That way if you stall you have some wiggle room ..
Yes, and I can get plenty of enjoyment out of that. I found that I can reduce some of the things I was adding to help "make" my calories on UD such as cream in coffee which I don't really need/want anyway.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
I have to say I think you are right on the money, and looking at my own experience, I totally agree. I have totally messed up quite a few Up Days (and have now given up breakfast on those days!). I topped out at 2800 calories yesterday. Just that hungry!

Here's my calories for each week, and gain/loss numbers from Saturday to Saturday:
11770 0.8
12110 -1.6
9750 3
9600 1.8
11170 -2.2
9600 1.4

It looks clear when I keep weekly totals under 10000, there's a nice loss. Over 11000, clear gains. And since I have my down days pretty well under control, also around 600 calories just like you, I have to really keep up days better.
Yayy! I'm glad you figured this up too! It really helps to have a clear number, or at least it helps me.

I was also doing things to try to get more calories on UD since at first I wasn't sure I could eat that much, such as adding cream to coffee (200 calories) which I didn't really want/need, so now I can take that back out. Also, I am not much of a breakfast eater, but it just depends, so on days when I don't feel like it, I will skip it and save those calories for meals I want more.

I think we'll both start seeing losses again this week!
Old 10-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm going to keep track on here for a while and see how it goes.

Sat. 10/22 - DD - 505 calories
Sun. 10/23 - UD - 1,720 calories

= avg. of 1,112.5 for the two days.

This is under the 1,200 max I need to keep it at to lose, so if I don't blow the day tomorrow, I should see a loss the next day (hoping to see it by Tues. a.m.)

Thing is, I may make tomorrow a MD since I'm visiting people, so that may result in a delayed loss - I'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

Good night, all.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

DOWN 2 pounds !!!! 148# woo hoo!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
DOWN 2 pounds !!!! 148# woo hoo!!!

I couldn't be happier for you!

It's an almost *can't fail* eating plan.

1. Get your UD and DD calorie numbers set correctly.
2. Follow your UD and DD calorie numbers truly.
3. Get skinny.

Woo Hoo!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

I couldn't be happier for you!

It's an almost *can't fail* eating plan.

1. Get your UD and DD calorie numbers set correctly.
2. Follow your UD and DD calorie numbers truly.
3. Get skinny.

Woo Hoo!
Yesss!! Once I got my numbers worked out, I now know what to do and what to expect when I do it (weight loss when the #'s are right!)

I put this on the "weight" thread too, but I weighed myself this morning in my clothes (2 shirts, pair of socks, and pj bottoms) and saw 149, but I figured it would go back up so I didn't bother to change my stats. Then as I was getting dressed, I got on the scales in just my bra and panties and it's at 148!!!

I am at my Grandma's and wasn't sure if her scales were accurate, so I got a bag of ice out of her freezer that claims to weigh 7 pounds, and the scales showed the bag at 7.2 pounds. I re-weighed myself a number of times and the same 148.2 keeps showing up.

This is the best "diet" evaahhhhhh!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #21

Yup. The best diet evaahhhhhh!!!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:01 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Sun. 10/23 - UD - 1,720 calories
Mon 10/24 - DD - 570 calories

= avg. of 1,145 calories for the 2 days.

I usually lose after an UD, which is today, so perhaps there will be another nice surprise in the a.m. I'm looking at YOU number 147!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:05 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: paulabob
Stats: 204/124.6/110 49%/27.4%/20% 5'2"
WOE: Atkins/hHcg/Optimal whatever works
Start Date: restart March '10
Oh, you are so close to goal, congrats on all this progress!!! I am excited for you, hope to follow in your good footsteps!
paulabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulabob View Post
Oh, you are so close to goal, congrats on all this progress!!! I am excited for you, hope to follow in your good footsteps!
Oh Paula I am sure you are right behind me because you also figured your calories up and saw the trends (weight up when over certain calories, down at others...) This helped me a lot to figure those numbers up because I felt like I was guessing before. Information is power, lol.

Thank you for the congrats.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
This is very helpful info for someone just getting their feet wet like me! I had been a little hazy about the UD calories, but this makes a lot of sense. I went a little crazy on my first UD yesterday before starting my first DD today, so I'll be sure not to eat beyond my UD calories from now on. I'm definitely not gonna have unrealistic expectations for my first weigh-in after my DD.

Congrats on your loss, Sophie!
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote