Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Blood Sugar & JUDDD

I thought we could have a thread for those with any BS issues to talk and to share meter readings from time to time if we want. It will be interesting, imo, and helpful.

A little background info on myself, as briefly as I can - had symptoms of PCOS from the start of puberty but not officially diagnosed with it until my late 20s. I didn't actually have cysts on my ovaries and wasn't overweight, but I did have the acne, unwanted hair, irregular periods.

Got my first experience with weight gain right after high school when I became sedentary that summer and upped my calories big time. Went from the 140s to low 150s (and thought that was huge and the biggest I'd ever let myself get!) Lost the weight easily and was fine weight-wise until my early 30s when I started to gain weight - no dieting, no exercise would make it come off. Doctor's office called one day and told me pick up Rx of Metformin since something had shown higher than they liked to see in my blood work.

Met helped and I lost the weight easily on it (too much actually), until went on an SSRI and gained and couldn't lose no matter what. Got off the SSRIs and the weight went away. This repeated a couple times over my 30s. (The last time I was on an SSRI, I got up in the 160s and thought that was huge and the most I'd ever weigh.) Off SSRIs for good now.

Last Fall in early Nov, I was normal weight in the 140s despite not exercising, but started to eat tons of refined carbs like cookies and became more sedentary. Weight came on, acne came back. Had cystic acne, especially around my jaw/neck. Weight was up to at least 170 - I was too afraid to weigh until I'd already been dieting some.

Started losing weight June 2011 by cutting back carbs and exercising. Started LC <30 grams daily at end of July. Lost more weight, breakouts less but still there. Weight loss very slow, but I was near my goal weight. Wanted to try JUDDD to have a healthy, happy woe for life.

Started JUDDD October 12. Lost 3 pounds, more even energy throughout day despite increasing carbs to almost 200 on UD, acne almost gone.

Present day - I was just getting ready to go to the store to get a battery and new test strips for my glucose meter, and realized DH took the car. I'll try to get the supplies soon.

I saw my test strips expired in 2009, and I probably haven't tested my BS since back then.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!

Last edited by sophiethecat; 10-22-2011 at 02:18 PM..
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Great idea, Sophiethecat!

Here is my story...
I've been overweight my whole life. The thinnest I have been (pre-LC journey) was in high school, a size 14 and 215 pounds. And that is when I was starving myself to be thin! My mom is a diabetic and so was my grandpa. I always worried that I would get it, too. I started dieting early, but nothing seemed to work for me.

I got frustrated because it sucks to be a fat teenager Not to mention smart and shy, too. Basically I had no social life and I was beaten up, teased and harassed daily, etc. Then I went to college, got put on SSRIs...and gained even more weight. NOTHING I did to lose worked on SSRIs (I was on Paxil for years). I did get happier, though, despite my weight (as much as I dislike SSRIs, they probably saved my life at 19!). I got a major social life, and showed that even big girls could be the life of the party. I also tried vegetarianism (gained), slimfast (gained), diet after diet after diet, gain after gain after gain.

Sometime after college I met my husband and moved to Denmark, where he is from. I was pretty huge in those wedding pics I of course dieted again, and gained. I started weight training and didn't lose. Eventually by the winter of 2009, I was SICK and TIRED of my looks (I didn't know my weight at the time because I had refused to weigh for years. I think my top weight is actually higher than the starting weight in my stats). Anyhow, I started running that winter. I taught myself to run using C25k and pretty soon I was running regular 5 and 10ks, despite being really overweight. I lost some weight then, though I cannot tell you how much. About 1 clothing size, I'd say. But not what I'd expected. I kept it up though, because I enjoy it. All the while I was running, I was on a calorie restriction diet.

Then, in May of 2010, I got the shock of my life. A urinary tract infection that would not go away prompted me to visit the doctor. They took a urine sample and rushed me into the back room for a blood sugar test (my urine was so sweet you could smell the sugar). My blood sugar was 432. The nurses were shocked. I was immediately diagnosed with diabetes (they took an A1C too, and a battery of other tests). I was horrified, crushed, shocked, etc. I'd tried everything I could think of to lose weight (or so I thought) and nothing had worked, and here I was, with diabetes, the thing I'd always feared. And I got this shock one week before a 4 day exam in Danish that would determine my fitness to apply for law school. It was NOT a fun time.

After being sent home with a bunch of useless brochures about how to eat when diabetic (lots of grains and fruit!) I started to question that wisdom and did some research of my own. Following the advice of a diabetes forum, I cut bread and all sugars and I dropped 5 pounds the first week, and my blood sugars were back to normal in 2! I was thrilled and continued eating this way for a month...but no further losses. Then I got the ATKINS book and did the plan all the way, and the first 50 pounds or so came off fast.

LC was like the miracle I had been hoping for. My A1cs are always between 4.7-5, and my 1, 2, and fasting blood sugar levels are on target (or significantly UNDER) 100% of the time. It has been suggested that I may be a type 1.5 and not a 2, but the evidence is inconclusive so far. It is irrelevant, because whichever type I am, I control it.

I was happy with my BG control, but my weight loss really stalled out. I was holding steady after the first 50 pounds or so, did a fat fast, and the scale started moving again...but...so...slowly....
There would be months without a loss, despite me staying under 20 carbs per day. I continued to lose, though, and I was grateful. Then, sometime around the end of April or the start of May, it all ground to a halt. I hadn't lost a THING since then, and it really upset me. I started to get so frustrated. I am only about 20-25 pounds from goal and it felt so unfair to have everything stop NOW!!

I kept going...eating the same 20 grams every day, hoping that my body's engine would start up again soon. And then I read SoHappy's post about JUDDD in the main forum. After investigating, I decided to give it a try and...so far it is working.

I have been eating a MUCH higher carb level than I ever dreamed possible (though completely terrified of those carbs at the same time LOL) on my UDs. Today was around 150. So was my last UD (due to sushi!). But my DDs are around 20 carbs. Maybe that contrast works for me. I don't know...but so far what has happened with JUDDD has been encouraging and I hope it continues!

My blood sugars have all tested normal on the UDs. I am watching them closely because eating bread scares me! I don't want to undo the work I have done to control diabetes...and I don't want to damage my body. So yeah, for now, I am watching like a hawk. But I feel so liberated by JUDDD...and the scale is moving again...

I feel like I can have hope now...both to achieve my goal weight and to enjoy my food...! I just hope JUDDD continues to fulfill my expectations!
Old 10-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks for posting, SDS - I was so hoping you'd come in here Glad to read your story, and I think it will really help others too!

I know Beeb had a big influence on my coming to JUDDD, and so did SoHappy (Pat).

At first I was going to keep it all LC on JUDDD, and then under 100 g. daily, and now I seem to be under 200 g. on UD without problem. Like you, my DD are naturally LC. I think the highest on a DD so far was about 50, and that was mostly due to some sugar free candy.

I read what I could on JUDDD's principles and saw that maybe the carbs weren't really the evil bad guy I'd heard them to be, just like for so much of my life I'd heard saturated fats were the evil bad guy. Maybe I could have it all after all! (At least every other day!)
Old 10-22-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post

At first I was going to keep it all LC on JUDDD, and then under 100 g. daily, and now I seem to be under 200 g. on UD without problem. Like you, my DD are naturally LC. I think the highest on a DD so far was about 50, and that was mostly due to some sugar free candy.

I read what I could on JUDDD's principles and saw that maybe the carbs weren't really the evil bad guy I'd heard them to be, just like for so much of my life I'd heard saturated fats were the evil bad guy. Maybe I could have it all after all! (At least every other day!)
That was really my *plan* too (to keep it low carb on JUDDD)...but it hasn't worked out that way so far...he he. And maybe thats OK. As long as my weight is dropping, and my blood sugars are good, what is the harm in it? Like I said, it is still in experimental stages for me. But it is so freeing.

I was also going to mention a commonality in our stories...use of an SSRI!! I was on Paxil and then Zoloft until right before I started that running (aka about 12 years) and I think it contributed not only to my weight gain and the impossibility to lose weight, but increased insulin resistance.

I should also mention, because it is interesting and possibly noteworthy, that 9 mons prior to my diagnosis I had a very serious case of Campylobacter (a foodborne illness, like salmonella, only worse!). I ended up in the hospital but NEVER felt the same afterwards...always tired, washed out, etc. I found out later that campylobacter can cause pancreatitis, and probably did in my case, since it was so serious, leading to the death of insulin producing cells...so it is a possible contributor to my diabetes (and one of the reasons I am not so easy to label when it comes to diabetes type-my body may have attacked itself while fighting that infection, but it is hard to know for sure since there is a strong history of diabetes in the family, plus some native american genome...so, who knows!?) Anyhow, i'd forgotten to add that part.

Last edited by stardustshadow; 10-22-2011 at 02:54 PM..
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Hi Sophie and Stardust!

I dont have blood glucose issues (other than bad shakes if I dont eat for too long) but just wanted to say "Hi"!

I think you are doing a fab job with your bg numbers,stardust... it was a good job you found lc when you did...I bet your doctors were amazed with the results when you went back for another test.

You will have to let us know what yours are Sophie..when you get your strips!

I have mild PCOS...and it does make losing weight harder...and its not much fun having spots at my advanced age...though I have noticed a big improvement in my skin since starting low carb.

I also started juddd low carb....but have enjoyed a slow carb creep...I think we are a bit afraid to add them in at first....and when we realise we are STILL losing...we get a bit more brave...it is probably a more healthful way to introduce our bodies back to a higher carb level anyway!

The carb I am most enjoying is....OATMEAL ...not very rock n roll...but I AM Scottish...oatmeal is in our blood! (probably why we are so pale...lol!)

"Eat today for the clothes you want to wear tomorrow!"

Last edited by Joedi; 10-22-2011 at 02:58 PM..
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedi View Post
Hi Sophie and Stardust!

I dont have blood glucose issues (other than bad shakes if I dont eat for too long) but just wanted to say "Hi"!

I think you are doing a fab job with your bg numbers,stardust... it was a good job you found lc when you did...I bet your doctors were amazed with the results when you went back for another test.

I have mild PCOS...and it does make losing weight harder...and its not much fun having spots at my advanced age...though I have noticed a big improvement in my skin since starting low carb.

I also started juddd low carb....but have enjoyed a slow carb creep...I think we are a bit afraid to add them in at first....and when we realise we are STILL losing...we get a bit more brave...it is probably a more healthful way to introduce our bodies back to a higher carb level anyway!

The carb I am most enjoying is....OATMEAL ...not very rock n roll...but I AM Scottish...oatmeal is in our blood! (probably why we are so pale...lol!)
Hey there!! You are always most welcome in our thread!

I think oatmeal could be very rock and roll, especially to someone who hasn't touched a carb in years! It sounds delish!

Where are you from in Scotland BTW? I travelled a lot there whist I lived in the UK (long long ago). I love it

And, advanced age!? WHAT!? Your AVI looks really young!! Seriously, I would have put you in your 20s...
Old 10-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joedi
Stats: 180/131-135/133 5' 5.5" 40 y/o
WOE: Maintaining on Juddd
Start Date: Made Goal on 23/10/2011 - Stats updated daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
Hey there!! You are always most welcome in our thread!

I think oatmeal could be very rock and roll, especially to someone who hasn't touched a carb in years! It sounds delish!

Where are you from in Scotland BTW? I travelled a lot there whist I lived in the UK (long long ago). I love it

And, advanced age!? WHAT!? Your AVI looks really young!! Seriously, I would have put you in your 20s...

Thankyou! I turned 40 this year...that pic was taken while I was still 39.....about 2 weeks before the big 40.....

I come from just outside Glasgow...but moved down here to England...South Shields..when I was 18...met my DH...and never left!

hugs
Jo
x
Joedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Hi Sophie and Stardust!

Hello, Jo, welcome to the thread! (And welcome to anyone who reads it and has anything to add!)

We have had the pcos and spots (acne) in common. Doing much better so far though on this new woe! Glad you can enjoy that oatmeal!!
Old 10-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
That was really my *plan* too (to keep it low carb on JUDDD)...but it hasn't worked out that way so far...he he. And maybe thats OK. As long as my weight is dropping, and my blood sugars are good, what is the harm in it? Like I said, it is still in experimental stages for me. But it is so freeing.

I was also going to mention a commonality in our stories...use of an SSRI!! I was on Paxil and then Zoloft until right before I started that running (aka about 12 years) and I think it contributed not only to my weight gain and the impossibility to lose weight, but increased insulin resistance.

I should also mention, because it is interesting and possibly noteworthy, that 9 mons prior to my diagnosis I had a very serious case of Campylobacter (a foodborne illness, like salmonella, only worse!). I ended up in the hospital but NEVER felt the same afterwards...always tired, washed out, etc. I found out later that campylobacter can cause pancreatitis, and probably did in my case, since it was so serious, leading to the death of insulin producing cells...so it is a possible contributor to my diabetes (and one of the reasons I am not so easy to label when it comes to diabetes type-my body may have attacked itself while fighting that infection, but it is hard to know for sure since there is a strong history of diabetes in the family, plus some native american genome...so, who knows!?) Anyhow, i'd forgotten to add that part.
Yes!! I believe SSRI can most definitely contribute to insulin resistance.

I have heard the birth control pill can too, and I was on it when I first started gaining weight in my early 30s. I'd been on it off and on for over a decade before that, and it had been a help for my acne and other symptoms, though I was glad when I could finally get off it.

That's interesting about your foodborne illness possibly setting the diabetes off in you.

Glad you're doing so much better now!
Old 10-23-2011, 01:14 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
[/B]

Thankyou! I turned 40 this year...that pic was taken while I was still 39.....about 2 weeks before the big 40.....

I come from just outside Glasgow...but moved down here to England...South Shields..when I was 18...met my DH...and never left!

hugs
Jo
x
Seriously, you really don't look 40. I hadn't noticed that you put your age in your stats until after you posted it! Enjoy it, it is great to look younger than you are

Cute story! I've never been to South Shields, but I lived in London. I miss the UK sometimes! Luckily it is easier to visit the UK than it is the US!
Old 10-23-2011, 01:17 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiethecat View Post
Yes!! I believe SSRI can most definitely contribute to insulin resistance.

I have heard the birth control pill can too, and I was on it when I first started gaining weight in my early 30s. I'd been on it off and on for over a decade before that, and it had been a help for my acne and other symptoms, though I was glad when I could finally get off it.

That's interesting about your foodborne illness possibly setting the diabetes off in you.

Glad you're doing so much better now!
Thanks! After I got diagnosed, I was pretty determined to kick diabetes in the ***

I have known a lot of people who gained and had trouble losing on SSRIs. I also have heard this about birth control (though I took it sporadically a few years back I stopped because it made me bleed for 6 mons straight...and THAT is not fun!).
Old 10-23-2011, 05:07 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
I am a type 2 diabetic using the drug Byetta. If I do low carb the Byetta twice a day
is all I need. But if I am realy out of controle I also take insulin sometimes a lot of insulin.
Now on a DD I don't even need to take my Byetta let alone any insulin. Well yesterday
I messed up. It was suposed to be a DD and I went to a chili cook off and it being a DD
didn't take my Byetta. I turned it into an UD and a rather large up day at that. My BG went up to 182 nor good BUT before I was doing JUDDD that same meal without my Byetta would have made my BG go to about 320. Well as they say you live and learn.

Some of us may be worried about chlosterol well I saw one report on this WOE eating
that said men and wemen responded diferently. In men our triglicerides are lowered
but there is no change in our HDL. But in wemen your triglicerides are not lowered but
your HDL increases.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:53 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
I am a type 2 diabetic using the drug Byetta. If I do low carb the Byetta twice a day
is all I need. But if I am realy out of controle I also take insulin sometimes a lot of insulin.
Now on a DD I don't even need to take my Byetta let alone any insulin. Well yesterday
I messed up. It was suposed to be a DD and I went to a chili cook off and it being a DD
didn't take my Byetta. I turned it into an UD and a rather large up day at that. My BG went up to 182 nor good BUT before I was doing JUDDD that same meal without my Byetta would have made my BG go to about 320. Well as they say you live and learn.

Some of us may be worried about chlosterol well I saw one report on this WOE eating
that said men and wemen responded diferently. In men our triglicerides are lowered
but there is no change in our HDL. But in wemen your triglicerides are not lowered but
your HDL increases.
Hi E.W. Welcome! Glad to have your input too. I think it's so interesting that JUDDD is helping you keep your BS low, almost twice as low as it would have been before!!!

I came across that info about calorie restricted diets also causing different results for men and women with cholesterol when I was looking up different studies on CR. It helps but does it in a different way.

Hope to see more posts from you. Have a good day
Old 10-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #14
the condiment queen

Gallery: pooticus
Stats: 314/220.4/150
WOE: PersonalPlan
Start Date: Nov.20, 2007 (restart)
Hi everyone. Count me in! Great idea SS!!

So about me...wow. Well I was diagnosed as a T2 by 5hr GTT. My blood sugars at the highest I've caught them were 170s 2hr+ post prandial. And the highest I've seen with FBGs is 140s. So not bad but not good.

I've had PCOS since I was a teen of about 16, but diagnosed at 18. I'm post hysterectomy menopausal (no ovaries), have cyclical Cushings and had tons of steroids for a blood disease until I was about 11years old. I've been LC (about 90-95% of the time) for the last 11 years. I've managed to lose from 320lbs (314lbs officially) down to 252lbs. I'm 253.6lbs today.

Today I am Stage III Breast Cancer and have just finished neo-adjuvant chemotherapy. My last AIc is 5.0 (I think), and that's down from 6.1 as of 3 months ago. According to my status now at the doc I'm pre-diabetic! I'm pretty pleased that I haven't gained the normal 20+ lbs that happen with chemo. And even with all the steroids I've been given in the past 5 months of treatment, I've still managed to lose 19lbs. I have been watching my diet and eating healthy, but also had days of no eating due to nausea and pain. Then I've had other days where I've been pretty down and said Eff It and eaten sweet potato fries lol! Whatever.

I have just been given permission to go back to JUDDDing after surgery/radiation. I'm kinda doing a jumpstart and doing it now even though the doc didn't bless this. I am supposed to have surgery Nov 1 - we hope. What I saw from JUDDD the last time I did it, I was finally able to lose 2-3lbs per week (easily) like a normal person and my BGs went back to 80s-90s with FBGs in the 80s. So NORMAL!!! Woot!

Oh and I have asthma which dramatically improved while JUDDDing!

EW, are you a male? If so, do you presently JUDDD? Can I ask your stats and how much you eat on DD and UD? Thanks!

10/20/07-314; 11/26/07-275 Surgery - Tot.Hyst.; 08/5/10-275.0; 09/1-271.8-(Started JUDDD); 10/2-260.4; 3/1/12-231.0lbs 5/25/12-227.2lbs; 8/19/12-222.8lbs
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13
pooticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Hi everyone. Count me in! Great idea SS!!

So about me...wow. Well I was diagnosed as a T2 by 5hr GTT. My blood sugars at the highest I've caught them were 170s 2hr+ post prandial. And the highest I've seen with FBGs is 140s. So not bad but not good.

I've had PCOS since I was a teen of about 16, but diagnosed at 18. I'm post hysterectomy menopausal (no ovaries), have cyclical Cushings and had tons of steroids for a blood disease until I was about 11years old. I've been LC (about 90-95% of the time) for the last 11 years. I've managed to lose from 320lbs (314lbs officially) down to 252lbs. I'm 253.6lbs today.

Today I am Stage III Breast Cancer and have just finished neo-adjuvant chemotherapy. My last AIc is 5.0 (I think), and that's down from 6.1 as of 3 months ago. According to my status now at the doc I'm pre-diabetic! I'm pretty pleased that I haven't gained the normal 20+ lbs that happen with chemo. And even with all the steroids I've been given in the past 5 months of treatment, I've still managed to lose 19lbs. I have been watching my diet and eating healthy, but also had days of no eating due to nausea and pain. Then I've had other days where I've been pretty down and said Eff It and eaten sweet potato fries lol! Whatever.

I have just been given permission to go back to JUDDDing after surgery/radiation. I'm kinda doing a jumpstart and doing it now even though the doc didn't bless this. I am supposed to have surgery Nov 1 - we hope. What I saw from JUDDD the last time I did it, I was finally able to lose 2-3lbs per week (easily) like a normal person and my BGs went back to 80s-90s with FBGs in the 80s. So NORMAL!!! Woot!

Oh and I have asthma which dramatically improved while JUDDDing!

EW, are you a male? If so, do you presently JUDDD? Can I ask your stats and how much you eat on DD and UD? Thanks!
Hi Pooticus, thanks for joining us in here! That's amazing story - it's great to hear how your BG went back to normal on JUDDD! And the asthma improving! woo hoo! I love hearing how JUDDD quiets the inflammation like that. I have hopes that my allergies get better with it. Hope your surgery is a great success in Nov. and your healing is fast.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:03 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome E.W and Pooticus! It is going to be great to have you both contributing to the discussion!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:08 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I feel kinda icky today (it is an UD) and I kept mistaking the symptoms for blood sugar lows/highs...but every time I checked I was in the 80s or 70s (high 60s fasting in the morning, 77 2 hrs after eating breakfast, in the 80s 2 hrs after lunch). I think it is PMS!! I just feel achy, sweaty, and slightly miserable all day.

Another strange thing...I cut the carbs today, despite it being an UD. I decided to play it safe and eat a big low carb pancake for breakfast (psyllium fibre, almond flour, eggs and a little cream with some cocoa-butter on top). Strangely I feel undernourished, despite the high calories in the meal. I wonder if the huge fat content was an unwelcome shock to the system after a few lower fat days. Lunch was fibre crackers (those Norwegian crispbreads) with liver pate (very danish) and cream cheese. Also pretty low in carbs. I have been trying to save my carbs for dinner tonight but also have been watching to make sure I don't overdo them on the UDs. I am still pretty carbophobic!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I was dx with reactive hypoglycemia some 30 years ago, but I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. I've been overweight since puberty. So when we tried to conceive when I was in my early 30s, and I was dx with PCOS, it really didn't surprise me. All the indicators were there; I'd probably had it for years. Overweight, trouble losing weight, inconsistent or non-existent perieods, insulin resistance, cystic acne, facial hair.. the whole shebang.

I went on Metformin, and got pregnant. Our dear daughter is now almost 11!

So when my normal yearly physical blood tests came up with elevated sugars, I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised. I'm in the "pre-diabetic" range, with an A1C at dx of 6.7. I immediately did some research, found Blood Sugar 101 website, began testing my fasting and post-meal blood sugars, and began eating lower-carb. My last A1C was 5.8.

I lost 40 pounds on LC, then stalled. For a year. I tried very low carb, moderate carb, fat fasts, and finally intermittent fasting (not eating until 2-7 each day). A little movement on the scale here and there, but nothing solid.

So I figured I'd give JUDDD a try. I wouldn't have tried it before doing IF. IF helped me get over the mental fear of hunger (I tend to get REALLY irritable when I'm hungry, so I self-medicate with food!). So JUDDD DDs haven't been that much of a change, hunger-wise. It's comparable to every morning on IF.

Anyway, I've only been on JUDDD for a bit over a week, and my fasting numbers are pretty good... between 105 - 115. Still higher than I like, but not creeping up into diabetic numbers.

So long as my A1C remains under 6 and my fastings under 120, I'm a happy camper. I'll be ecstatic if my scale will begin to move down again.

Last edited by synger; 10-24-2011 at 09:05 AM..
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
I feel kinda icky today (it is an UD) and I kept mistaking the symptoms for blood sugar lows/highs...but every time I checked I was in the 80s or 70s (high 60s fasting in the morning, 77 2 hrs after eating breakfast, in the 80s 2 hrs after lunch). I think it is PMS!! I just feel achy, sweaty, and slightly miserable all day.
Hope you're feeling better, SDS I have about another week before going through that, and I'm hoping with time that JUDDD will calm all that down too.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
I was dx with reactive hypoglycemia some 30 years ago, but I didn't pay a lot of attention to it. I've been overweight since puberty. So when we tried to conceive when I was in my early 30s, and I was dx with PCOS, it really didn't surprise me. All the indicators were there; I'd probably had it for years. Overweight, trouble losing weight, inconsistent or non-existent perieods, insulin resistance, cystic acne, facial hair.. the whole shebang.

I went on Metformin, and got pregnant. Our dear daughter is now almost 11!

So when my normal yearly physical blood tests came up with elevated sugars, I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised. I'm in the "pre-diabetic" range, with an A1C at dx of 6.7. I immediately did some research, found Blood Sugar 101 website, began testing my fasting and post-meal blood sugars, and began eating lower-carb. My last A1C was 5.8.

I lost 40 pounds on LC, then stalled. For a year. I tried very low carb, moderate carb, fat fasts, and finally intermittent fasting (not eating until 2-7 each day). A little movement on the scale here and there, but nothing solid.

So I figured I'd give JUDDD a try. I wouldn't have tried it before doing IF. IF helped me get over the mental fear of hunger (I tend to get REALLY irritable when I'm hungry, so I self-medicate with food!). So JUDDD DDs haven't been that much of a change, hunger-wise. It's comparable to every morning on IF.

Anyway, I've only been on JUDDD for a bit over a week, and my fasting numbers are pretty good... between 105 - 115. Still higher than I like, but not creeping up into diabetic numbers.

So long as my A1C remains under 6 and my fastings under 120, I'm a happy camper. I'll be ecstatic if my scale will begin to move down again.
Hi synger, good to have your story on here too. I'm glad your numbers are doing good and hope they continue to improve.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK...so I just had mexican food. A flour tortilla and about 100 grams of tortilla chips (corn). Blood sugar circa 1 hour later: 122
Old 10-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #22
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
OK...so I just had mexican food. A flour tortilla and about 100 grams of tortilla chips (corn). Blood sugar circa 1 hour later: 122
Is this ^ ^ ^ good? I don't have much knowledge or understanding in this area, so have a question here.

Is the above about normal for the working of the human body? I know that when anyone eats carbohydrate, the blood sugar level will rise and insulin is flooded in to deal with it, etc.

My question is this: If I'm functioning pretty normally, does my blood sugar rise like that, and then get taken care of in the normal manner and at the normal rate that Mother Nature designed for humans.

Is the danger when it rises and won't go back down again, as is expected for *normal* people?

Thanks for a bit of insight.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHappy View Post
Is this ^ ^ ^ good? I don't have much knowledge or understanding in this area, so have a question here.

Is the above about normal for the working of the human body? I know that when anyone eats carbohydrate, the blood sugar level will rise and insulin is flooded in to deal with it, etc.

My question is this: If I'm functioning pretty normally, does my blood sugar rise like that, and then get taken care of in the normal manner and at the normal rate that Mother Nature designed for humans.

Is the danger when it rises and won't go back down again, as is expected for *normal* people?

Thanks for a bit of insight.
No problem! I don't mind sharing knowledge!

In a 'normal' individual, blood sugar stays within a certain range (this is necessary for life). Insulin is the hormone that regulates the blood sugar. Every time anyone eats, their blood sugar goes up. The pancreas (actually specific insulin producing cells in the pancreas called beta cells) secrete insulin, which then brings the blood sugar down. Everyone has blood sugar levels that fluctuate during the day. A 'normal' person is supposed to have a fasting blood sugar of between 70 and 99. (99 would be a little high but still OK).

When we eat, our blood sugar naturally rises. A diabetic may not secrete enough insulin to bring the blood sugar down to normal levels (type 1 diabetics secrete no insulin, which is required for life, so they must inject). Or, they do secrete enough, but insulin resistance makes impossible for the blood sugars to come down fast enough, or low enough. Increasing insulin resistance (a genetic condition made worse by weight gain, but also CONTRIBUTING to weight gain-a true double edged sword) forces the pancreas to produce more and more insulin, and this results in the burnout of beta cells, which die, and the remaining cells have to produce even more insulin to keep up. At some point in the progression of diabetes, the insulin resistance combined with the beta cell death can no longer keep up with the body's need for insulin, and blood sugars spin out of control, and can no longer be brought down to normal levels. Symptoms start appearing, if the condition was not caught previously.

Basically, your blood sugar rises after you eat and comes back down within a certain time limit. A 'normal' person will have levels at or under certain levels within 1 and 2 hours after eating.

The American Diabetes association has guidelines that list a 'normal' blood sugar at 140 or lower within 2 hours after a meal. Some people think this is high. I personally follow the guidelines on blood sugar 101, which list a proper blood sugar target at 120 or lower 2 hours after eating. I also follow the guideline that my blood sugar should be under 140 1 hour after eating.

As for fasting targets, I want my blood sugars under 100 (but normally it is in the 70s).

Basically, I use targets that would be the same for 'normal' non diabetics.

All non diabetics could also expect to attain these numbers or lower (but you don't want to get too low either

I hope that makes some sense.

Last edited by stardustshadow; 10-24-2011 at 12:47 PM..
Old 10-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Synger beat me to it

My A1C was 7.1 when I was diagnosed, but since then it has been between 4.7 and 5.

Yes, those are non diabetic numbers and I don't know if I would even qualify as 'pre-d
anymore, but like Synger said, it isn't like you can take the diagnosis back once you get it.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Thanks, both of you. I appreciate the time, and understand it a bit better now.

Sounds like everybody has the rise in blood sugars from eating the carbs, but the normal response works just fine in people who aren't impaired, and blood sugar is brought down again, down to within normal ranges as Mother Nature designed, and within a reasonable time too.
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:29 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Pooticus I sure am sorry to hear about your breast cancer and all the hell you are going
through treating it. As bad as the cemo is one side effect of JUDDD is it is suposed to make cemo easier to take. And yes I am a 61 ear old man. I don't realy weigh and measure my food but eat all I want to on an UD ( probably 2600 to 3200 calories) and
between 500 to 800 calories on a DD. Perhaps I would do better if I were to be a little
more ridgid about this way is doing well for now. A couple of times I got off plan and had 2 back to back UD's may have killed my weight loss that week but I just got back on target the next day with no problems and no guilt. As much as I like the 30lbs I have lost I think the freedom to know that I can now have those 2 brownies for desert on my UD and it won't make me go totaly crazy and have 1/2 galon of ice cream for breakfast the next day is even nicer than the weight loss. Well today it's fasting blood work at 9am
and then a visit to my pulmonologist at 10am. I can already hear him "you have lost weight" as if I didn't know this. Well today will be a DD for me, haven't decided how to
spend my 800 calories yet. Well hopeing everone here had a good day wether it's an UD or DD.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #27
the condiment queen

Hi everyone!

SD hope you are feeling better today! 122 an hour after Mexican sounds awesome. What was it at 2-3 hours do you know?

EW and thanks. It does suck mightily but I'm blessed so much as well. I asked about your plan cuz my Denny needs to lose weight badly and I want him to JUDDD with me. Atkins isn't taking the weight off him but I'm clueless about JUDDD for guys!

800cals on a DD sounds reasonable. Do you IF? Or spread them out throughout the day?

How did you doc appointment go yesterday? Didn't you go to the diabetes doc yesterday? It's kinda a fog to me at the moment!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooticus View Post
Hi everyone!

SD hope you are feeling better today! 122 an hour after Mexican sounds awesome. What was it at 2-3 hours do you know?

Yeah, it was TOM that was making me feel icky! Lucky me

Anyhow, it was 98 at 2 hours. That is a nice number after such a carb load.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks Synger & SDS! I needed a refresher in this stuff!

Years ago I was having symptoms and my GP had me check blood sugar. I did it for a while and it was always normal, but I haven't checked or thought about it too much since at least 2009! I hope to get my supplies soon and start checking out of interest.

I wish the testing strips were cheaper! I have a number of expired ones left so when I do get new ones I will test with the old ones right after and see what happens when they are 2 years expired
Old 10-25-2011, 09:16 AM   #30
the condiment queen

Wow SD that's pretty perfect in my mind. How bout you? Excellent and congrats!!!!

Sophie when I did that with expired ones my bgs were always wonky. You may have a different experience, but I toss my expired ones.