Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #211
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Sophie, PJ, & Tina~

The endocrine website that Shelbyla shared with me doesn't have advertising, so I will add it here. It has a wealth of info on thyroid, addrenals, & the endocrine system. I have been obsessed with it lately and really could spend hours reading. If any of you suspect cortisol could be wreaking havoc on your body, this is a great place to research.

Endocrine Awareness Center for Health is a public service charity designed for patients who have diseases and disorders of the endocrine system.

https://eaware.org/?doing_wp_cron
Seems I've come across The Perfect Health Diet in my internet wanderings, will have to check the site to refresh my memory.

Thanks for the Endocrine site - I have a tab open reading about ovaries.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #212
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
But carbs don't have to be simple. I don't eat grains or refined sugars/honey/syrup. And yet my UD's are almost always over 100g gross carbs. Lots of veggies, some lower glycemic fruits (I love berries and melons, yum!), nuts, nut butters, nut milks and nut flours. Carb doesn't always equal starch. I also eat sweet potatoes, but rarely eat white ones.

This discussion is fascinating. And I'm going to spend some time on that endocrine site for sure.
Most of my carbs these days are also nonrefined. They are coming from vegetables, fruits, beans...and some grains during the week (a piece of whole grain high fiber toast, some rice, an ounce of chips, a little pasta, etc.). Pretty much the only sugary stuff is around Tom - I just can't seem to deflect the wild appetite and cravings then. Same story when I was LC too though. I'd say on a normal day my carbs are 75 - 200 g. It just depends on what's going on. I know that's high carb to most people doing LC, but I think it's still "low" compared to the SAD, unless I'm mistaken.
MAINTENANCE since 11/12/11, & have lost more weight. I shake things up all the time with my version of Pirate Jenny's MUDDD, my "Fast 5" & other IF. ...low-moderate fat....and eating "healthy" foods 75+% of the time which lets me have real life and indulgences too I've reached my goals, improved my health & appearance, and enjoy my lifetime woe!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #213
Blabbermouth!!!

Increasing fiber may be another important factor in this. My fiber intake went way up at the beginning of May when I started to eat lots more veggies and fruits, some beans. It apparently didn't help my acne on its own, or at least it was only one part of the puzzle that was not yet finished. Lowering fat intake is the new thing I did that seems to be making a difference.

Another thing that is very often mentioned around the net as a dietary/acne connection is eating sugar and refined carbs. I'm not sure how this affects my acne because the few times I've been clear in my adult life, I was either on the BCP or Metformin + Spiro or just Metformin. However, clearly even the Met and Spiro together were unable to stop the onslaught of cystic acne I got, if it was in fact due to the higher fat diet I took up 2 years ago. However, I have gone through times in the past of eating plenty of refined carbs and sugary foods while on one or more of these meds and my skin was fine. So they have held "carb acne" under control for me. Not being on one or more of the meds might make a big difference in my case, I just don't know because I pretty much plan to never quit the Metformin (the only Rx I take now).

I am cautiously happy with my results so far but I've only been eating lower fat for a couple weeks now. This lower fat diet makes sense based on what I've read and looked back over my own experiences, but putting it into practice for myself will take some more time. Before I can proclaim this works, I need to give it more time to see if I quit breaking out altogether, or at least quit breaking out in cystic-type acne. If this happens, I will definitely be making a mega post to shout it from the rooftops. Believe me, I will have plenty to say about this topic, lol.

Be warned, some of these below talk about the lab mice, may even show pics of them.

Biology strony.indd

Trace glucose and lipid metabolism in high androgen and high-fat diet induced polycystic ovary syndrome rats

Low-Fat High-Fiber Diet Decreased Serum and Urine Androgens in Men

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) and Other Androgen Excess

Effects of dietary fat and fiber on plasma an... [Am J Clin Nutr. 1996] - PubMed - NCBI

Hormonal and metabolic effects of polyunsatur... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Influence of dietary fatty acids composition, le... [Reprod Biol. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

Reducing bioavailable sex h... [Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI

Postprandial changes in sex hormones after meals ... [Metabolism. 2001] - PubMed - NCBI

Diet and serum sex hormones in healthy men. [J Steroid Biochem. 1984] - PubMed - NCBI

Androgen receptor antagonism and an insulin sens... [Biol Reprod. 2009] - PubMed - NCBI

http://whebsite.com/wiki/Acne_diet_controversy
Old 07-18-2012, 09:07 AM   #214
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Thanks Sophie. Lots of links to study and bookmark.

I have upped my carbs and it is helping me get my calories in on UD. So far my UD carb ratio has been about 100, so I feel really good about that! Added Oat bran, nuts and small amount of fruit. Will try beans this week.

I don't know for sure about the fats? I don't eat processed foods so I would think it is best for me to continue to eat my veggies grilled in CO and my meats as well. Probably the only other fat that I consume regularly, would be from animal fat, such as bacon or chicken, a small amount of avocado and greek yogurt. I am not wanting to eliminate it, but if my labs come back with a negative report, that will be something to look into.

I don't believe I will every be able to have sugar and I believe that mine has to do with my age and hormones. I break out in pimples that are painful, which at my age is pretty ridiculous. And it is immediate.

I have only used stevia when making cocoa crack, but other than that I have lost my sweet tooth. I would like to find a sweetener to use with making whipped cream now and then. Since you have blood glucose issues, what have you found that doesn't mess with your numbers? Thanks again for your info.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #215
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
I'm interested, too, and it rings a few bells. I adored LC initially, but sense my body completed some phase with it and wants to move on. I do feel a bit of a tightrope emerging, though, between what you're suggesting and my addictive response to simpler carbs. Huh. Very interesting. More please.
Quote:
Thanks Sophie. Lots of links to study and bookmark.

I have upped my carbs and it is helping me get my calories in on UD. So far my UD carb ratio has been about 100, so I feel really good about that! Added Oat bran, nuts and small amount of fruit. Will try beans this week.

I don't know for sure about the fats? I don't eat processed foods so I would think it is best for me to continue to eat my veggies grilled in CO and my meats as well. Probably the only other fat that I consume regularly, would be from animal fat, such as bacon or chicken, a small amount of avocado and greek yogurt. I am not wanting to eliminate it, but if my labs come back with a negative report, that will be something to look into.

I don't believe I will every be able to have sugar and I believe that mine has to do with my age and hormones. I break out in pimples that are painful, which at my age is pretty ridiculous. And it is immediate.

I have only used stevia when making cocoa crack, but other than that I have lost my sweet tooth. I would like to find a sweetener to use with making whipped cream now and then. Since you have blood glucose issues, what have you found that doesn't mess with your numbers? Thanks again for your info.
Yeah there is so much out there to read and think about and I think I need to give my mind a rest from all this for a little while.

Good that you're enjoying your carb level, Sunday - I think everyone has to figure out what it will be. We all have to decide based on our own bodies. Some of the things I eat wouldn't work for someone else and vice versa, I'm sure. I didn't want it to come across that I think upping the carbs is always the answer (and I didn't mean refined carbs at all) cause wow - there are just so many different people with different health issues and the like... but for myself (and maybe others) adding some carbs would help, like veggies, at least, for me - also fruits, some beans, a little oats, rice, etc. some whole grains. My body seems to like having more carbs (as opposed to the vLC I did last summer). But everyone has to think about what they are able to handle and what their doctor thinks. A number of people who came to JUDDD found they could tolerate more than they thought by raising carbs very slowly and carefully, pulling back if cravings reared up and giving it a rest, and then trying again later.

Oh, the fat/hormone thing may not apply to anyone else here, as I am looking into this more for my skin, and I didn't want anyone to think they should do what I'm doing. Not sure if this would pertain to weight loss for others because some need more fat to feel satisfied or for other reasons - for me lowering the fat is more about finding a way to stop this persistent cystic acne. I might not have even thought to mess with my fat level if it weren't for the acne and just trying to figure out what caused it to suddenly come back 2 years ago.

I'm just more sensitive to androgens than the average person, and fats may be one thing causing androgens to exert an effect in my skin.

If this works for me, it may not work for others, particularly if their acne is caused by other things. Definitely keep enjoying the healthy fats if you feel good, like them, and doctor says labs are fine.

Kristin, I have to be careful or should say I DID have to be more careful around refined carbs as well, particularly when I first started JUDDD. I more or less went head-first into them after several days, and it was only the calorie counting of JUDDD that saved me - because it was so important to stay in my calorie range if I was going to lose weight. And even on UDs, candy, cookies, and desserts could up the calories very very quickly, so I had to really use portion control.

Now with other carbs such as crackers, breads, pasta, rice, even some potato chips, 70%+dark chocolate, etc., I seemed to do fine with portions and they don't seem to set off cravings.

But the refined stuff like M&M's, Hot Tamales, Girl Scout Cookies, and other candies - it could be like opening a floodgate. These things add up in calories sooo quick and it's so easy to just mindlessly eat and eat them. As I said it really helped that I HAD to do portion control before I began to eat them - had to count out a serving, otherwise I would not be doing JUDDD and not losing weight. It was harder because I started JUDDD right around Halloween with all the trick-or-treat candy around, lol.

Now I really have no daily interest in sweet, refined carbs. I do indulge in some during the week, like a pancake or piece of angel food cake or something if I feel like it. The only time I really crave refined carbs and stuff I have no interest in touching most of the time is around Tom. Then, it's so hard to resist.

Most of the time the bread I eat is whole grain, high fiber, but of course I do have regular in the form of a hamburger or hotdog bun, pizza crust, etc. sometimes daily depending on what I eat. It's just that these don't seem to send me into a desire to eat more and seek out even other kinds to eat one right after the other like candies do.

If you see my above reply to Sunday, there have been some people able to increase their carbs carefully on JUDDD, but others feel better not doing that and they are losing weight fine. Probably at the carb level their body likes, or they have diabetes or other health. I only saw that when I eat more carbs than low carb, I tend to lose better.

JBs,

I will try to write more later. Not feeling well at all since I woke up (it's my GB and it only acts like this now when I'm on Tom, and it was making me sick yesterday too). Ugh. Maybe half the things I'm writing aren't making sense, I really can't keep my thoughts organized well the last couple days. Forgive me if I've been all over the place on this thread.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #216
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
Thanks! Sheridan's blowing me out of the water, but I'm pretty pleased with myself too.
You guys are totally in the same league of fast losers, along with several others buds around here like NoWeigh and more I'm forgetting at the moment. And you've had to deal with the thyroid condition too - you're doing a remarkable job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I'm interested in your findings as I have acne as well, and often wonder how much diet has to do with it.

It does appear that the Metformin is providing you with therapeutic effects. Sounds like a good plan to go back to the higher doses. I'm glad you're paying attention to what your body needs!
Acne is so frustrating too because it seems that what works for one will not always work for another. If you've ever spent any time on the popular acne forums, you know what I mean. Some people have a food allergy (or several) they didn't know they had, and when they stop eating that food it clears up. Others give up dairy and they clear. Or give up sugar or some specific thing they realized caused acne. Some just needed the right face wash, it seems. My acne has definitely never been helped by topicals. It's only been helped by drugs like BCP, Metformin, Spironolactane. But something made it bust out full force 2 years ago and nothing cleared it up since, except when I first started JUDDD. Only later I realized it wasn't JUDDD that cleared me like I originally thought, but the main difference was what or how I was eating.

I was no longer LC, was actually eating a heckuva lot more carbs and yet my face was clearing up. But the main difference was I had cut way back on fat (at least this is how it's looking so far). I didn't see this at first because I still had the idea that I might be doing myself a disservice by eating all those carbs and not enough healthy fats. Sometime in Dec I began eating more of a lowER carb woe again while I JUDDDed, and got even more LC after the holiday. But the acne came right back just like before.

It's still too early to say if I've found the missing piece, but I'm hoping.

Whew, sorry I went rambling along, been doing that more than usual lately.

Yes, I've been feeling so much better since I upped the Met again. No shakes or weird feelings, able to be satisfied with normal amounts of food again, not hungry 2 or 3 hours after eating, sleeping better, and not getting sleepy after some meals. Well I guess the reducing/quitting Metformin experiment is complete, lol.

Last edited by sophiethecat; 07-18-2012 at 02:51 PM..
Old 07-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #217
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/155.4/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
The only time I've had nice skin was when I was pregnant. Alas, I have no desire to be continually preggers to maintain a nice complexion. However, that leads me to believe mine is mostly hormonal.

I also suspect I have Hashimoto's and further suspect it was "activated" or whatever when I got pregnant. A lot of my thyroid symptoms go back to that time, but they just got unmanageable this year. Another reason I think this is that my hair was always straight, then became curly when I was preggers and remained curly until the last couple of months--coincidentally when I started taking thyroid medication. Now, it's straight again.

I never got sick before I had Keira either, and now I've had several autoimmune issues ranging from minor allergies all the way to near organ failure where I was hospitalized. I think these issues may also be related to Hashi's or the Hashi's (unconfirmed) could be a result of some other autoimmune issue.

Our bodies sure are amazing, mysterious things. I swear I'm never going to figure mine out. As soon as I think I've got one thing figured out, something else changes! Oy vey!

Anyway, vent/rant over. Thank you Sophie for all the thought and care you put into your posts. I really appreciate it!

Atkins 10/24/11 @ 277.6
JUDDD 12/12/11 @ 267.8
January 2013 @ 165.0: Maintaining however feels the most comfortable with little bouts of WLM thrown in here and there.
January 2014 @ 145: Maintaining with 5:2 and/or JUDDD
July 2014, weight is creeping up: Back to JUDDD.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #218
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:

I don't test enough to know how the different sweeteners effect, but I use stevia-based sweeteners 90% of time - Truvia, generic, Pyure, and sometimes pick up something from the HFS. I occasionally use coconut sugar. If I'm at a restaurant, I use a little Stevia to sweeten some tea since they have that.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #219
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
I never got sick before I had Keira either, and now I've had several autoimmune issues ranging from minor allergies all the way to near organ failure where I was hospitalized.
This is very coincidental, but yesterday a friend of mine posted an article, on her Facebook page, about microchimerism:
(something I'd never heard of)

Mother & Child Are Linked At The Cellular Level | Laura Grace Weldon

Sometimes it may cause autoimmune problems for the mother.

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-18-2012 at 04:38 PM..
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
This is very coincidental, but yesterday a friend of mine posted an article, on her Facebook page, about microchimerism:
(something I'd never heard of)

Mother & Child Are Linked At The Cellular Level | Laura Grace Weldon

Sometimes it may cause autoimmune problems for the mother.
That was really a lovely article and something very cool to consider. I was thinking maybe my response was due to the hormones released during pregnancy, but it's interesting to consider the possibility that there's more to it, on a cellular level. Not that I want to think my kiddo's making me sick!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:04 PM   #221
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Of course! I would never want to think that, either!!!

But it's weird how pregnancy changes our bodies forever...
Old 07-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #222
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay, this question is for Pirate Jenny, but maybe Sophie will know also. I am going to go see my mother this week and take her EVCO to show her how to make cocoa crack. Since she is very underweight 5'5" (105) and needs to gain weight, should we add real sugar or just keep using coconut sugar and HWC with almond butter? I am trying to help her with her age related memory issues and as researched, EVCO is now the "miracle" supplement for dementia and alzheimers. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #223
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh and about acne! I absolutely break out every time I have had sugar either accidentally or with a drink at a restaurant. I usually wake up with a big painful pimple the very next morn. So, I remembered reading so much about ACV and healing of acne, so I started making a toner with ACV. Girls, let me tell you, it works so quickly, I can't believe it!!! In fact, I drink it every single day in my lemon water, so I thought well it is time to try it out on my blemish.

It restores the acid mantle of your skin, so it heals quicker. It’s true!

The acid mantle is the skin’s first defense mechanism against invading bacteria. This defense layer develops at puberty, around the time that many teenagers will probably start noticing the symptoms of acne. Using face washes and creams like I have, can often damage and prevent this layer from developing as it should. This all happens as we start to produce hair on our bodies, and sebaceous glands cause changes in the skin’s pH. The pH of human skin usually settles somewhere between 4.5 and 6. But this often varies with age.

In our late teens and early twenties our Acid Mantle should be at its best. It should adequately protect against harmful external factors, heal extremely quickly and generally take care of itself. The skin’s pH value an overlooked, but major contributor to acne and various other skin problems. Propionibacterium acnes are bacteria that live on the skin and are actually found in everyone, regardless of whether an individual suffers from acne. 

However, the number of P. acnes is greatly increased in acne sufferers. Research has shown that the growth of these bacteria is very much dependent on the pH value of the sufferer’s skin and its growth is minimized with a skin pH of 5.5. In fact, even a slight shift towards the alkaline pH would create an environment in which it can thrive.

I wish I could post links, but most of them have ads. If you will google ACV & Acne you will have lots of hits! So there ya go...
Old 07-18-2012, 07:10 PM   #224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't know why but most of my big ol' painful blemishes are right on the end of my nose. One other trick that I have found, and I learned this from Pinterest, is to dab a tiny bit of toothpaste on the zit right before going to sleep. Don't know why but this also helps to shrink and sometimes completely evaporates the pimple.

One caveat, do not, I repeat do not forget to wash it off before leaving the house. Ha! I have done this and it is pretty embarrassing. I dabbed some on first thing while brushing my teeth and then walked right out the door and went to the bank. When I looked in my rear view mirror and saw the blue paste on my nose, I just cringed.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #225

Funny Sunday! How do you make your toner? Do you add anything, or is it just ACV straight or watered down? Thanks!!!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #226
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dawn, I put it straight on with a cotton swab. It feels so good and it soothes the pain as it heals. If you google, ACV & acne, check out the website by Victoria. She claims that it can be done straight but if that seems too strong she advises to dilute 50:50 with water. I never have diluted and no problem whatsoever.

I also drink ACV & lemon juice in my water regularly and supposedly that means that I have my ph pretty much balanced.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
Oh, on the sugar, I use a combo of coconut sugar and stevia in my baking and have no blood sugar issues with that. I use 1/2 the amount of sugar called for as coconut sugar, and then add stevia to make up the difference (usually a dropper or 2 of the liquid). This is with almond and/or coconut flour, not grains.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #228
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tina, do you find your coconut sugar at the grocery store? I ordered mine online and was shocked that it tasted like sugar. In fact, I am scared to use it because it is so similar.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #229
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Okay, this question is for Pirate Jenny, but maybe Sophie will know also. I am going to go see my mother this week and take her EVCO to show her how to make cocoa crack. Since she is very underweight 5'5" (105) and needs to gain weight, should we add real sugar or just keep using coconut sugar and HWC with almond butter? I am trying to help her with her age related memory issues and as researched, EVCO is now the "miracle" supplement for dementia and alzheimers. Thanks!
Hi, I'm not sure why you picked me, but thank you!!!

Please be careful with your mom & coconut oil. It can easily cause diarrhea, and since she's underweight already, that would be extra bad.

I think coconut sugar is yummy, and less processed than white sugar, but I'm not sure it will help her gain weight faster.

By the way, I think it is a lot easier to incorporate coconut milk into one's diet than coconut oil. Especially if she enjoys international foods...Thai, Indian, Latin...they don't have to be spicy, if she doesn't like that. Or in a smoothie, or a nice pi˝a colada!

The canned coconut milk is concentrated and very high in fat (as opposed to the cartons that is more like a dairy-milk substitute).

Really, I don't know why there's so much fuss over the oil when the milk & meat are so good. Sigh. I've been trying to be cool and incorporate the oil for years...I'm a good, inventive cook and I just don't really like it many things--not the extra virgin, anyway.

(I sometimes put it on popcorn, with nutritional's yeast. Also like it on toast. But...gotta watch carbs... )

If she has difficulty incorporating oil or milk into her diet, would it be possible for her to use or snack on whole coconut? Dried/fresh/frozen, whatever! Since it has a decent amount of fiber, I think it's less likely to cause tummy troubles.

I can give you recipe ideas if you need them...let me know.
How far away are you from her, and how often do you visit?
New lows, 2014:
6/29 282.8
7/07 280.2
7/14 276.8

Last edited by piratejenny; 07-18-2012 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: correct word
Old 07-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #230
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I wish I could post links, but most of them have ads.
You can post links to websites that have ads.
You just can't post to websites that sell stuff.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #231
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mykidsteacher
Stats: 152/134/125 5'4"
WOE: Primal as of Aug 2011/JUDDD (started 1/13/12)
Start Date: Aug 2011/I've been maintaining since April 2012
I use Madhava brand coconut sugar I ordered online. It looks like granulated brown sugar.
mykidsteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #232
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykidsteacher View Post
I use Madhava brand coconut sugar I ordered online. It looks like granulated brown sugar.
That's the kind I use too. So far I just put a teaspoon in oatmeal. I don't do much baking these day or use much sugar. I use a stevia sweetener for my tea.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:20 AM   #233
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Dawn, I put it straight on with a cotton swab. It feels so good and it soothes the pain as it heals. If you google, ACV & acne, check out the website by Victoria. She claims that it can be done straight but if that seems too strong she advises to dilute 50:50 with water. I never have diluted and no problem whatsoever.

I also drink ACV & lemon juice in my water regularly and supposedly that means that I have my ph pretty much balanced.
Thanks for the acv tips, Sunday - I used it as a toner for a while, can't remember why I quit now. Maybe I had the ratio to water wrong.

I just had some ACV and water with stevia on ice last night since I read it can help with GB pains, but I'm wondering if it caused me to have severe BR problem later. It's TMI but I was really having problems about 1:30 a.m. Feeling so much better today and of course been doing more research on how I should eat for my GI/GB whatever issues, and I think I'm finally seeing the light - meaning more pieces are coming together now. Will have to update later on.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #234
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sophie, I am sorry about the BR, do you mind telling me what that stands for?

Girls, I found out that we probably should not put ACV on full strength. I noticed that it is pretty strong full strength and I have been reading more on it.

Here is the recipe for one such toner.

Toner recipe:
1/2 apple cider vinegar
1/2 green tea
A few drops of lemon juice
A few drops of olive oil
[Make a new toner every 2 weeks. I like to leave mine in the fridge so the coolness can have soothing effects on my skin.]

Old 07-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #235
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Also, I have been drinking the ACV/Lemon water before every meal and this is a great explanation for how this assists with weight loss...

Old 07-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #236
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Hi, I'm not sure why you picked me, but thank you!!!

Please be careful with your mom & coconut oil. It can easily cause diarrhea, and since she's underweight already, that would be extra bad.

I think coconut sugar is yummy, and less processed than white sugar, but I'm not sure it will help her gain weight faster.
Wow! I answered you this morning and my post has disappeared!

Thank you Jenny! I chose you because I thought you were the CO expert. I am going to have to research Coconut milk because I wonder if it will have the same benefits as CO as far as alzheimers and brain function???
Old 07-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #237
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm no CO expert, but I don't see why the milk wouldn't work if the benefits are in the fat.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #238
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Sophie, I am sorry about the BR, do you mind telling me what that stands for?

Girls, I found out that we probably should not put ACV on full strength. I noticed that it is pretty strong full strength and I have been reading more on it.

Here is the recipe for one such toner.

Toner recipe:
1/2 apple cider vinegar
1/2 green tea
A few drops of lemon juice
A few drops of olive oil
[Make a new toner every 2 weeks. I like to leave mine in the fridge so the coolness can have soothing effects on my skin.]

Talk: Apple Cider Vinegar - YouTube
BR to me = bathroom

I've been using the acv/water each a.m. since you brought it up in the post. I definitely wouldn't use it full strength, it's so strong it would burn me. I wet a cotton pad with water, spray acv on the pad and wipe my face. (I keep acv in a spray bottle and use it on my hair in the shower.)

I follow up with a drop of 50/50 evoo and co. I keep that in a small spray bottle too and use it after every shower on damp skin, and also use it as a hand "cream" as well as on my face 2 x day.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #239
Blabbermouth!!!

Since going back full strength on the Metformin, I've started to see the scale drop slowly again, despite eating the same foods as before. I was at 137.6# today, lowest I've seen since June (I cut the dosage beginning of July).

During my experiment to cut my Metformin dosage in half or more, I found that the times I tested my BG it was normal. I thought this meant I didn't need the Rx. But lately I've been reading on it and see that even with normal BG readings, you can still be insulin resistant. I must just accept that I know next to nothing about all this stuff and just do what my original doctor wanted and stay on Met, and probably on this dose. I'm OK with it. I want to do what I need to in order to prevent future health troubles.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #240
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 415redhead
Stats: 136
WOE: BBD
Start Date: January 2012
To Pirate Jenny's request re: fat/hormones. John Mcdougall (of the Mcdougall diet fame) has many videos and articles about what fat does to blood sugar available on his web site. If you read it with an open mind-it brings clarity to hormone issues for women especially. I know people love their fat and it is appropriate once and awhile, but it can cause major hormonal problems for some. His mantra is "the fat you eat, is the fat you wear." Maybe this doesn't apply to all, but for me if I want to feel good/clear complexion-I eat low fat as a general rule (maybe one day a week I'll have a fattier treat).
415redhead is offline   Reply With Quote