Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > JUDDD
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 11:15 AM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
stardustshadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 3,338
Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Oh, I don't mind at all--I'm quite grateful!

And I agree, I have to watch those carbs!!!
It started with, after a year of NOT having them, things like a couple crackers with my tuna salad, a quiche with crust , half a sweet potato...and I didn't get tired or get that pounding heartbeat I used to, so it progressed to pizza, some rice and paratha or naan with my curries, and (homemade) Mexican food...all those things I'd missed.

"I would worry that you are having higher highs and lower lows because of carb intake."
I agree...however, I have only had "the shakes" towards the end of DDs, and only after not eating for over 4 hours; my DDs have always been LC. So, while high carb on UDs is definitely not wise and I have started cutting back, I didn't seem to be having low lows (reactive hypoglycemia) after eating carbs. I don't know if that means anything...?

I feel like even though I wasn't losing weight on LC, the fact that I no longer had that desperate hunger was a HUGE benefit, almost an accomplishment, and I don't want it to come back! Right now it's been over an hour since I woke up (12 hours since I last ate), and I am a little hungry but not desperately...this is how I like to feel!

Oh, and, if you don't mind, could you tell me why "eating something with a few carbs at night may also help that fasting number"? I read another post recently on the main forum stating that diabetics can "handle carbs better later in the day", and I can't figure out why this would be! Unless it has something to do with hepatic gluconeogenesis...will having enough glucose from food while you're sleeping keep your liver from making more?

I am so with you on the desperate hunger part. I was just starving all the time before I was diagnosed, and I NEVER want that feeling back So far when I keep the DDs low in carbs I am OK! I am struggling a little right now but I have TOM...and I just naturally want more food whenever that visitor is in town.

As far as the hepatic gluconeogensis is concerned you NAILED IT that is exactly why diabetics can handle carbs during the day and some find it beneficial to eat a small carby thing right before bed. I guess it keeps your liver 'busy' all night

I'd say that you can get reactively hypo if you had more carbs the day before an LC day. Your body is not in ketosis, so it is still trying to pull energy off of blood sugar in order to fuel itself. And your glycogen stores are not depleted, so they and the liver can 'dump' sugar into your blood in response to your body's need for energy, causing an insulin surge and a resulting low. I have gone low only a couple times on low carb, but that was from not eating for 12 or more hours!! And the only things I had had to eat that day was 2 melon balls (it was a baby shower with ONLY candy and sweets...I did the best I could) and caffeine.

You may also find that as blood sugars normalize, you get false lows (blood sugars dropping into normal range may feel like a low but not really be a low). However, your BGs were not nearly high enough for this to be happening. I experienced it right after my diagnosis when my BGs dropped from in the 400s to around 120s in a week or so after starting low carb. That was a huge drop. The differences I can see in your BGs should not be enough to cause this, unless you are going unintentionally high and don't realize it...or like I said, the body is producing sugars to dump into the blood stream, giving you lows after the resulting insulin release.

I am glad that you are keeping DDs low carb, because that is really good...may I ask what you are eating on them? I am wondering if you don't have enough fat (if the carb count in what you are eating, be it small, is not combined with any fat or protein, that could account for a more than usual insulin release and subsequent low).

Otherwise, maybe you need to up your DDs by 100 cals so you can have extra meals to counteract the 'drops'.
Just some thoughts!!
__________________
'It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves'
-Sir Edmund Hillary
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2011, 11:45 AM   #92
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,884
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Thank you, you are so helpful!!!

On DDs I eat mostly: chicken broth; veggies like celery, spinach, and zucchini; egg whites; sliced ham or turkey (low fat/1-2g carb per serving); cheese sticks (50-80 calories) or Laughing Cow-type cheese wedges (25-35 calories); and sometimes 1 flatbread cracker (6g carb) or 1/2 a flax wrap (3g net carb). I would LOVE to add more fat, but I'm afraid it would push my calories up so much...I have a heavy hand when it comes to butter, olive oil, mayonnaise, sour cream, avocado, etc!

Usually I have been skipping tea or coffee on DDs because I just enjoy them so much more with light cream (not almond milk or fat-free half & half ) that I'd rather save them for UDs. However, yesterday I felt significantly better having a coffee & cream in the afternoon, and it's only 60-90 more calories, so I am going to continue that my next few DDs and see if it helps.

"The differences I can see in your BGs should not be enough to cause this, unless you are going unintentionally high and don't realize it..."
The highest I have caught my BG is 180-200, after eating something like a bagel or pizza, and this was a few months ago either before starting Metformin or right after. I know this isn't a great number, but when I hear about other diabetics (like you!) getting readings in the 300s and 400s, I feel very lucky!!!

"...or like I said, the body is producing sugars to dump into the blood stream, giving you lows after the resulting insulin release." I think this is more likely scenario, given that "the shakes" have only happened about 20 hours into my DDs, and only when I let myself be hungry for a couple of hours.

"So far when I keep the DDs low in carbs I am OK!"
Are you LC on your UDs as well, now?
*How many carbs would you say you allow yourself on UDs?
__________________
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast." --Ace Rimmer
"Really, how is eating a piece of cake bad? Being bad is murdering someone.
That's bad. Don't do that." --Sarah Michelle Gellar
****************************************
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6

Last edited by piratejenny; 12-19-2011 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: ETA:*
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
stardustshadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 3,338
Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Thank you, you are so helpful!!!

On DDs I eat mostly: chicken broth; veggies like celery, spinach, and zucchini; egg whites; sliced ham or turkey (low fat/1-2g carb per serving); cheese sticks (50-80 calories) or Laughing Cow-type cheese wedges (25-35 calories); and sometimes 1 flatbread cracker (6g carb) or 1/2 a flax wrap (3g net carb). I would LOVE to add more fat, but I'm afraid it would push my calories up so much...I have a heavy hand when it comes to butter, olive oil, mayonnaise, sour cream, avocado, etc!

Usually I have been skipping tea or coffee on DDs because I just enjoy them so much more with light cream (not almond milk or fat-free half & half ) that I'd rather save them for UDs. However, yesterday I felt significantly better having a coffee & cream in the afternoon, and it's only 60-90 more calories, so I am going to continue that my next few DDs and see if it helps.

"The differences I can see in your BGs should not be enough to cause this, unless you are going unintentionally high and don't realize it..."
The highest I have caught my BG is 180-200, after eating something like a bagel or pizza, and this was a few months ago either before starting Metformin or right after. I know this isn't a great number, but when I hear about other diabetics (like you!) getting readings in the 300s and 400s, I feel very lucky!!!

"...or like I said, the body is producing sugars to dump into the blood stream, giving you lows after the resulting insulin release." I think this is more likely scenario, given that "the shakes" have only happened about 20 hours into my DDs, and only when I let myself be hungry for a couple of hours.

"So far when I keep the DDs low in carbs I am OK!"
Are you LC on your UDs as well, now?
*How many carbs would you say you allow yourself on UDs?
Your DD food looks absolutely wonderful and I cannot see how it would be causing any problems at ALL...! I understand completely about the heavy hand with butter and such...I have the same issue (my broccoli can swim if I am not careful lol).

Hmmm...Funny about the coffee!! I also tend to skip it on DDs (because I can't have the cream) but the caffeine could have a appetite supressant effect! I have noticed this sometimes! The only time I can get into trouble with it is if I have a strong coffee and nothing else.

You are very lucky not to have such high numbers, but on the other hand, numbers like mine are also unusually high for a T2 (which is why a lot of people think I might be a type 1.5). Anyhow, be happy that you never had to see them...it scared the pants off of me (and the nurses, too!)!!

After seeing your foods, I also think number 2 scenario is more likely by FAR than the first. Your DD foods are great.

As to your questions...I keep my UDs low carb as well as DDs. This does not mean I won't have a normal carb UD on Christmas, though But that is a special occasion so I think it is OK. We have to live with our diets forever, and sometimes that means making exceptions!

As far as carbs, I stick to around 20 on DDs and around 30 on UDs. Somedays less (20ish) somedays more (35 ish). I am not as strict with the carbs as I was on LC, but I still keep a leash on them. Lately I have been enjoying a lot of soy yogurt on DDs (only 100 cals and 2.5 carbs for 200 grams, which is great!), and I eat a low carb bread that I make with a Norwegian mix (it is so wonderful...! I wish it were on sale everywhere! It is made with psyllium, almond flour, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, flax, etc. Not a grain in sight). That bread is my new obsession but I am sure I will change to something else when the shine wears off.

One of my challenges is that there are no fat free foods available here. There are some fat reduced things, but nothing so low in fat as you can get in the states...so I am kind of forced to eat more fat (and consequently less food) on my DDs. My laughing cow, for example is not the low fat one...but I enjoy it anyway, just in limited amounts.

I guess I tend to choose cottage cheese over veggies, not because it is 'better' or anything, but because it keeps me fuller longer (protein, I think). I'm still experimenting, though. It is working so far, but stupid diabetes makes everything harder

I so wanted to believe that JUDDD would be some sort of magic wand and let me eat carbs, but after giving it a try, I had to, sadly, admit that being a diabetic is not something I can just ignore. I learned a lot from the attempt, but I wasn't losing any weight (too much insulin release) and I was so darned hungry. I am hoping that LC juddd is going to be my magic bullet this time around though
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
SlowSure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London/Herts UK
Posts: 3,572
Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/108/105-110 HW 168
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance. Ketogenic PHD.
Start Date: 11 Dec. 2011 Restart 1 Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
Norwegian mix (it is so wonderful...! I wish it were on sale everywhere! It is made with psyllium, almond flour, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, flax, etc. Not a grain in sight).
This sounds both tasty and JUDDD-friendly, do you know if there is even vaguely a recipe for it, please and I might try to reproduce it (I have those ingredients or could obtain them).
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
stardustshadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 3,338
Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
This sounds both tasty and JUDDD-friendly, do you know if there is even vaguely a recipe for it, please and I might try to reproduce it (I have those ingredients or could obtain them).
I don't have a recipe, but I can get a list of ingredients for you (in order of prominence). Maybe you can experiment!

Here is the list!
Psyllium, sunflower seeds (probably crushed?), sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax meal, Hi Maize resistant starch (I suppose that is grain derived...I think you can get it on Netrition!), whole egg powder, protein powder, erythritol, rising agent, mineral salt.

The stuff is amazing. 1 carb/slice (and that is not 'net carbs' either).
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,884
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Thank you again for sharing so much great information!
By the way...I pretty much only drink decaf coffee, because I have noticed regular coffee/caffeine seems to mess with my blood sugar. I get hungry sooner after eating, and my hands shake a lot.


Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
One of my challenges is that there are no fat free foods available here. There are some fat reduced things, but nothing so low in fat as you can get in the states...so I am kind of forced to eat more fat (and consequently less food) on my DDs. My laughing cow, for example is not the low fat one...but I enjoy it anyway, just in limited amounts.

.......

I so wanted to believe that JUDDD would be some sort of magic wand and let me eat carbs, but after giving it a try, I had to, sadly, admit that being a diabetic is not something I can just ignore. I learned a lot from the attempt, but I wasn't losing any weight (too much insulin release) and I was so darned hungry. I am hoping that LC juddd is going to be my magic bullet this time around though
I like cottage cheese, too! And honestly, except for cheese sticks/Laughing Cow, I do not buy any reduced-fat or fat-free foods--I'd rather have the full-fat foods on UDs, and I can't afford to buy both versions of everything--coffee creamer, cheese, mayonnaise, etc!

Also, you mentioned Dr Bernstein before, so I imagine you are familiar with what he calls "the Chinese restaurant effect"? One thing I have tried not to do on JUDDD is eat bulky, low-calorie food like huge salads or cabbage stir-fry. I had "trained" myself to eat and feel full on small amounts (by volume, not calories) of food; this took a couple of months, so I didn't/don't want to undo it! But those small amounts of food had lots of fat: 2 eggs w/butter, liver pâté, cheese and nuts, sausage. Having small amounts of low-fat food on DDs doesn't keep me satisfied very long!

(Actually I have been meaning to start a thread on this: "Bulky food or dense food", to see if anyone else uses this principle or might find it useful.)

Are you familiar with the Atkins Fat Fast? It's about 90% fat, and 1000 calories per day. I know that sounds like a lot of calories for a DD: it is, however, very low in bulk: a couple of egg yolks, a handful of macadamia nuts, small squares of cheese or cream cheese, heavy cream. Both because of the high fat and low bulk, it should greatly reduce insulin release, so this is an option that might be a "magic bullet" for us diabetics: alternate low-carb Up Days with Fat Fast DDs. And since you can't get low-fat products, it would be very convenient for you!

I keep forgetting to try it, but my weight loss has slowed down significantly the last few weeks, so I might start it...today! I'll see if I can keep it to about 800 calories.

Here's Dana Carpender's blog post about it:
How Fat Fasting Appears To Have Cured My Blood Sugar Problems | HoldTheToast! by Dana Carpender

Last edited by piratejenny; 12-19-2011 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: re-organize sentences!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #97
Major LCF Poster!
 
vilanteira's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,067
Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/lower carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
I had "trained" myself to eat and feel full on small amounts (by volume, not calories) of food; this took a couple of months, so I didn't/don't want to undo it! But those small amounts of food had lots of fat: 2 eggs w/butter, liver pâté, cheese and nuts, sausage. Having small amounts of low-fat food on DDs doesn't keep me satisfied very long!

(Actually I have been meaning to start a thread on this: "Bulky food or dense food", to see if anyone else uses this principle or might find it useful.)

Are you familiar with the Atkins Fat Fast? It's about 90% fat, and 1000 calories per day. I know that sounds like a lot of calories for a DD: it is, however, very low in bulk: a couple of egg yolks, a handful of macadamia nuts, small squares of cheese or cream cheese, heavy cream. Both because of the high fat and low bulk, it should greatly reduce insulin release, so this is an option that might be a "magic bullet" for us diabetics: alternate low-carb Up Days with Fat Fast DDs. And since you can't get low-fat products, it would be very convenient for you![/url]
Sorry, I know this is not meant for me, but I thought I'd pop in and comment since this is exactly what I do most DDs. I've found that bulky veggies and a lot of high carb and/or low fat foods just don't satisfy my hunger at all, even huge amounts of them. I'd get hungry soon after I eat them. So now on DDs I just eat the same full fat low carb foods that I always eat, except less of it. I generally only eat one meal at dinner on my DDs, so it works for me and it keeps me very full all the way to bedtime even if I go to bed very late.

Last edited by vilanteira; 12-19-2011 at 02:00 PM..
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #98
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
stardustshadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 3,338
Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Thank you again for sharing so much great information!
By the way...I pretty much only drink decaf coffee, because I have noticed regular coffee/caffeine seems to mess with my blood sugar. I get hungry sooner after eating, and my hands shake a lot.




I like cottage cheese, too! And honestly, except for cheese sticks/Laughing Cow, I do not buy any reduced-fat or fat-free foods--I'd rather have the full-fat foods on UDs, and I can't afford to buy both versions of everything--coffee creamer, cheese, mayonnaise, etc!

Also, you mentioned Dr Bernstein before, so I imagine you are familiar with what he calls "the Chinese restaurant effect"? One thing I have tried not to do on JUDDD is eat bulky, low-calorie food like huge salads or cabbage stir-fry. I had "trained" myself to eat and feel full on small amounts (by volume, not calories) of food; this took a couple of months, so I didn't/don't want to undo it! But those small amounts of food had lots of fat: 2 eggs w/butter, liver pâté, cheese and nuts, sausage. Having small amounts of low-fat food on DDs doesn't keep me satisfied very long!

(Actually I have been meaning to start a thread on this: "Bulky food or dense food", to see if anyone else uses this principle or might find it useful.)

Are you familiar with the Atkins Fat Fast? It's about 90% fat, and 1000 calories per day. I know that sounds like a lot of calories for a DD: it is, however, very low in bulk: a couple of egg yolks, a handful of macadamia nuts, small squares of cheese or cream cheese, heavy cream. Both because of the high fat and low bulk, it should greatly reduce insulin release, so this is an option that might be a "magic bullet" for us diabetics: alternate low-carb Up Days with Fat Fast DDs. And since you can't get low-fat products, it would be very convenient for you!

I keep forgetting to try it, but my weight loss has slowed down significantly the last few weeks, so I might start it...today! I'll see if I can keep it to about 800 calories.

Here's Dana Carpender's blog post about it:
How Fat Fasting Appears To Have Cured My Blood Sugar Problems | HoldTheToast! by Dana Carpender
I have heard of the chinese restaurant effect. It really sounds like you have put a LOT of thought into what/how much you are eating!

I have also done the fat fast (twice!)..both times to break a stall. It worked the first time, not so well the 2nd...then again NOTHING was breaking my stupid stall I like the fat fast, in general...it isn't so hard to do, and I like those macadamia nuts LOL I think that is a great strategy-to incorporate fat fast concepts on DDs! I might just try that

Thank for the link, too...gotta check that out!

I do think you should start your thread...it could be really interesting to read and get some important info out there! I am very impressed that you have trained yourself to keep to small quantities!

Let me know how the fat fast goes if you do it!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
stardustshadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 3,338
Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanteira View Post
Sorry, I know this is not meant for me, but I thought I'd pop in and comment since this is exactly what I do most DDs. I've found that bulky veggies and a lot of high carb and/or low fat foods just don't satisfy my hunger at all, even huge amounts of them. I'd get hungry soon after I eat them. So now on DDs I just eat the same full fat low carb foods that I always eat, except less of it. I generally only eat one meal at dinner on my DDs, so it works for me and it keeps me very full all the way to bedtime even if I go to bed very late.
Cool!! That is great to know! It gives me a lot to consider when I am in doubt as to what to eat on a DD
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #100
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,884
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilanteira View Post
Sorry, I know this is not meant for me, but I thought I'd pop in and comment since this is exactly what I do most DDs. I've found that bulky veggies and a lot of high carb and/or low fat foods just don't satisfy my hunger at all, even huge amounts of them. I'd get hungry soon after I eat them. So now on DDs I just eat the same full fat low carb foods that I always eat, except less of it. I generally only eat one meal at dinner on my DDs, so it works for me and it keeps me very full all the way to bedtime even if I go to bed very late.
Hey, it's meant for anybody who reads this thread!
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I recently mapped out an UD menu of 4 servings of several LC items (eggs, sausage, cheese sticks, butter, SF pudding, etc--and no condiments that I tend to over-eat, like mayo, sour cream, or salad dressing); then I would eat only 1 serving of each on the DD, to make it exactly 25% calories. I haven't really been counting calories on UDs--I make so much food from scratch--so I thought this might help. But, I keep getting bored just thinking of eating the same foods for 2 days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
I have heard of the chinese restaurant effect. It really sounds like you have put a LOT of thought into what/how much you are eating!

I have also done the fat fast (twice!)..both times to break a stall. It worked the first time, not so well the 2nd...then again NOTHING was breaking my stupid stall I like the fat fast, in general...it isn't so hard to do, and I like those macadamia nuts LOL I think that is a great strategy-to incorporate fat fast concepts on DDs! I might just try that
......
I am very impressed that you have trained yourself to keep to small quantities!
Let me know how the fat fast goes if you do it!
Well, I have always loved to read, was just diagnosed with diabetes in May, and have been out of a job for months, so I have probably averaged a couple hours a day reading about low-carb, diabetes, and nutrition! I'm still learning so much, though!

I think I've strayed a bit from the small volume habit. But I know if I add more fat, and avoid waiting too long to eat, I will be able to get back to it quickly.

I've started my first Fat Fast day already (my "days" go from about 5pm to 5pm): a cup of chicken broth with 2 tablespoons of light cream added in. HEAVEN! and only 90 calories!

Last edited by piratejenny; 12-19-2011 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: fix quote
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #101
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,884
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
hepatic gluconeogensis...is exactly why diabetics can handle carbs during the day and some find it beneficial to eat a small carby thing right before bed. I guess it keeps your liver 'busy' all night
Only if you know off-hand--not asking you to do my homework for me!--but do you have any idea what is a good "small carby thing" and/or how many carb grams? As much as I would like you to say "a chocolate chip cookie" I'm thinking maybe a little yogurt or sweet potato or pumpkin? I just had a piece of buttered LC toast, 5g carbs, with some chicken broth and an egg...probably not enough carbs, but I'm actually very full and sleepy!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:29 AM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
stardustshadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 3,338
Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Only if you know off-hand--not asking you to do my homework for me!--but do you have any idea what is a good "small carby thing" and/or how many carb grams? As much as I would like you to say "a chocolate chip cookie" I'm thinking maybe a little yogurt or sweet potato or pumpkin? I just had a piece of buttered LC toast, 5g carbs, with some chicken broth and an egg...probably not enough carbs, but I'm actually very full and sleepy!
I think that sounds like enough carbs...but it is also individual, apparently. The only way to find out if it helps (and if something is carby enough to help or too carby LOL..what a mess this diabetes is!) is to test in the morning after eating something and just see what results you get.

They say to try red wine at night before bed, too. One glass should, in theory, keep the liver busy all night. I tried this a couple of times after my diagnosis, and it didn't seem to help me. What helped me was just keeping my blood sugars consistently low for about 6 months. After that, no more high morning numbers. But in the diabetes game, everybody is different, you know?

I'd guess that some sort of low carb food with just *enough* carbs would be a good bet to try right before bed Maybe some strawberries and greek yogurt, something like that!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:31 AM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
stardustshadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts: 3,338
Gallery: stardustshadow
Stats: 248.6/163/150
WOE: VLC/IF
Start Date: July 5th 2010 (Atkins)
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Hey, it's meant for anybody who reads this thread!
Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I recently mapped out an UD menu of 4 servings of several LC items (eggs, sausage, cheese sticks, butter, SF pudding, etc--and no condiments that I tend to over-eat, like mayo, sour cream, or salad dressing); then I would eat only 1 serving of each on the DD, to make it exactly 25% calories. I haven't really been counting calories on UDs--I make so much food from scratch--so I thought this might help. But, I keep getting bored just thinking of eating the same foods for 2 days!



Well, I have always loved to read, was just diagnosed with diabetes in May, and have been out of a job for months, so I have probably averaged a couple hours a day reading about low-carb, diabetes, and nutrition! I'm still learning so much, though!

I think I've strayed a bit from the small volume habit. But I know if I add more fat, and avoid waiting too long to eat, I will be able to get back to it quickly.

I've started my first Fat Fast day already (my "days" go from about 5pm to 5pm): a cup of chicken broth with 2 tablespoons of light cream added in. HEAVEN! and only 90 calories!
That chicken broth with cream...sounds so yummy!

Here is something odd...I keep meeting people who have been diagnosed with diabetes in May. I was (last May!) and so were several other people I know. Bizarre
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #104
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,884
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
I haven't been able to try the carbs-before-bed in any controlled kind of way, because I've just been eating way too much carby/sugary food since Christmas,
but this is sort of interesting (to me, anyway! ):

New Year's Eve:
didn't eat much during the day, for dinner at my neighbor's had cheese fondue w/bread, Hoppin' John (black eyed peas and a little rice) but also lots of low-fat protein: ham and boiled shrimp. Had some ice cream and pecan shortbread when I got home. :facepalm:
BG next morning: 126

Jan 1st:
Ate a lot more Hoppin' John & made cornbread to go with it!
Meant to eat protein--eggs, ham, hot dogs, whatever--several times that day but just wasn't very hungry.
BG next morning: 98

Jan 2nd:
Started day out with protein/low carb, again had a little HJ in the evening + one corn tortilla; meant to have a DD sort of dinner but son started making tater tots, asked me to make a burrito for him, so I had some tots too and made a small burrito for myself (low-carb tortilla, little bit of refried beans, cheese, sour cream, and guacamole)
BG next day (this morning): 103


So--it seems I wake up with lower BG after a carby day.
However, I don't think that necessarily means it's a good idea for me to eat carbs;
my BG probably goes up to 180 (I don't/can't afford to test several times a day);
on LC days, even though my waking BG is sometimes as high as 125-130, that's a much smaller change from my average, throughout-the-day BG, which seems to be around 95-100.

In other words, I might just be experiencing reactive hypoglycemia, not better control of my diabetes.

It still would be interesting to find out if there's some small amount of carbs I could eat before bed, that didn't raise my BG above 120 but allowed me to wake up with lower BG (under 100). I just spent all my money on holiday food a couple weeks and only had bread & sugar around; now that I can go shopping again, I may experiment with yogurt & fruit, perhaps.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,884
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
PS--
Then again, what I ate the days before the lower BGs were potatoes and beans.
I definitely steered clear of bread and sugar those days.

I have one glucose meter that uses cheaper strips;
I've only checked how much my BG goes up after bread & pasta,
not potatoes & beans...may try that sometime.

Today I intend to stay very low carb/high fat, & see how my BG is tomorrow.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #106
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tyrone Georgia U.S.A.
Posts: 1,215
Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
A baked potato has a glucemic index just as high or higher than some breads or pasta.
E.W. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #107
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 914
Gallery: hopetolose
Stats: 144/132/120
Hello
Have been lurking here and the info is so much appreciated. Hope I am not butting in. I am Type II Pre D and was diagnosed 3 years ago. My last A1C was 6.2 and am on no meds. Need to get down some, and need to lose 10#. Have lost about 40# with low carb during the past 3 years. Am trying JUDD with low carb and see if I can do it. I have been in the 130's for some time - just going up and down. Tried the fat fast, too, and it sure reduced my cravings.
So, I guess now, I will see how JUDD affects my BS.
Type II seems is just a trial and error situation and isn't the same for all of us.
Thanks again
Hope
hopetolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #108
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,884
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Hope--
Butt in all you like!
and maybe can all help each other.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 914
Gallery: hopetolose
Stats: 144/132/120
Thanks. It really helps to work together on this. We all need each other's input on what works for each of us.
Hope
hopetolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #110
Blabbermouth!!!
 
sophiethecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maintain Lane
Posts: 5,189
Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Welcome, HopeToLose! I hope more lurkers will join in! I keep up on this thread and learn from everyone!
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,884
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Well, I'm still not sure of what, if anything, to eat before bed to help with the dawn phenomenon. But, FWIW, I get up around 6am to take my son to the bus stop, and I usually go back to bed for a few hours. Yesterday I was really hungry at that time, so I had a handful of almonds. Later, BG was 101. Did the same thing today; BG was 102.

Seems pretty good to me...I think I'm going to keep "experimenting" for a few days!

This is something I watched a few months ago, and not only did I dismiss it out of hand but it made me a little angry...honey before bed! Oh, right, that's REALLY healthy for you!!! I remembered it a couple days ago, because he addresses this whole issue of "keeping the liver busy overnight". I'm still not convinced that honey is a good idea--for diabetics, especially--but now that I understand what he's talking about a bit better, it is interesting to me...or, who knows, maybe it's just his adorable accent!

piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #112
Blabbermouth!!!
 
sophiethecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maintain Lane
Posts: 5,189
Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Never heard of this before now, PJ. I am looking into it some more. I usually have something to eat and drink close to bed, so I know my liver is keeping busy all night, but maybe some honey before bed would be better if it activates melatonin and helps me get to sleep earlier.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:26 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!
 
synger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,409
Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
A baked potato has a glucemic index just as high or higher than some breads or pasta.
True, but it carries a punch of potassium that I need. I find that half a baked potato gives about 30 carbs, which is allowable for one meal on my plan, and gives potassium to keep away the leg cramps. If I'm going to have 30 grams of carbs in a meal, I'd rather they be from potato than bread/pasta. So long as I keep it to 30 carbs or fewer per meal, my blood sugar doesn't spike. (my "framework" diet is the Insulin Resistance Diet, which is where I learned the 30 grams/meal thing).

It's all a matter of what's allowable in your particular plan, and how your body responds to different levels of carbs. Within that framework, you can choose which carbs, if any, you can include in a meal.
__________________
"Let's fight heart disease and obesity with bacon and butter!"
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,884
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
The nuts-in-the-morning thing is really working well for me!!!
If I wake up early enough that I know I'll be going back to sleep for a while, I have a handful of almonds or walnuts. I wake up later with my BG around 102-105.
Have done this 5 out of the last 6 days. The one day I didn't do it, my BG was 125.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #115
Way too much time on my hands!
 
SoHappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 17,879
Gallery: SoHappy
Stats: obese/slimmer
WOE: JUDDD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
The nuts-in-the-morning thing is really working well for me!!!
If I wake up early enough that I know I'll be going back to sleep for a while, I have a handful of almonds or walnuts. I wake up later with my BG around 102-105.
Have done this 5 out of the last 6 days. The one day I didn't do it, my BG was 125.
Ha! That is wonderful! And why don't *they* know this simple trick? I think you should publish a paper! And I'm not kidding. I never am when I tell you to publish something. LOL
SoHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #116
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,884
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Thank you!
Maybe "they" don't know about it because I just discovered it!!!
I didn't read about it anywhere...I just needed a snack one day,
and since we'd been discussing the dawn phenomenon on this thread,
I was more alert to noticing the effects of the almonds.
I'm going to keep doing it...I hope a few other diabetics will give it a try and let me know if it helps them!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,884
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Well, the nuts experiment is not consistent...but I also started IF.
Monday I had the nuts, BG was 125ish.
Next day I didn't, BG was 105.
Today I didn't have them, but stopped eating last night at 7pm, and
BG at 11am was 90!!!


Usually I think I would be feeling quite hungry and on the verge of getting shaky with my BG in this range,
but I feel AWESOME and I woke up feeling awesome--good mood & alert, not groggy as usual--even though I'm a bit under the weather with congestion & sore throat.
Also, when I go long periods without eating, my BG often gets/stays a little high (120-130). So this is really, really super cool!

Maybe my BG was so good because I stopped eating early (7pm)--
I didn't actually get to sleep until 2am, then I was up from 6-7am, and slept again til 11am.
I usually delay eating during the day so I can eat later at night; I feel like I can't sleep if I'm hungry, but last night was not a problem and I would prefer the habit of not eating so late. Perhaps eat from 2pm-7pm (or 9pm on weekends).

Today I was thinking about trying a 24-hour fast
(like "Eat Stop Eat"--two 24-hour fasts per week)
but instead of a 5-hour window I would just eat once (at 7pm)--
so more like a 30- or 60-minute window.

I don't know what I'm going to break my fast with, though, because I don't have much food in the house! On purpose!

Last edited by piratejenny; 01-12-2012 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: grammar
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #118
Blabbermouth!!!
 
sophiethecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maintain Lane
Posts: 5,189
Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Awesome BG! Good for you, and I hope you get to feeling better asap. Keep us updated on the ESE experiment
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
piratejenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 3,884
Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Thanks, Sophie!

Sorry if that post is a bit involved/detailed...I started thinking about what I wanted to post over in the IF thread, and wrote it here instead!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #120
Blabbermouth!!!
 
sophiethecat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Maintain Lane
Posts: 5,189
Gallery: sophiethecat
Stats: 170+/135-138/145 5'6 39y pcos/IR/metformin
WOE: WL=LC then JUDDD/IF; Maintenance=IF/75%+ "healthy"
Start Date: LC 6/11; JUDDD 10/11; Maintenance 11/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Thanks, Sophie!

Sorry if that post is a bit involved/detailed...I started thinking about what I wanted to post over in the IF thread, and wrote it here instead!
No Prob, I do similar things when I am experimenting and sort of talking out what I'm doing - plus it's a way to have a record to look back on and you might get others interested too.
sophiethecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:41 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.